ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 03-19-2021, 11:32 PM   #1
lexusooner
Walk-on

Default Transfer portal bigs

Several of these big guys in the portal could really help us ...

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Ba...ransferPortal/

Last edited by lexusooner; 03-20-2021 at 01:57 PM.
lexusooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:43 AM   #2
WichitaSooner
All-American

Default Re: Transfer portal bigs

Good info, thanks for positing!
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #3
CMSOONER
Starter

Aidan Igiehon, Tre Mitchell - Yes please!

Last edited by CMSOONER; 03-20-2021 at 10:36 AM.
CMSOONER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
lexusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSOONER View Post
Aidan Igiehon, Tre Mitchell - Yes please!
Yeah I agree there are a couple of the Centers and PF’s who could definitely help us ...

Last edited by lexusooner; 03-21-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
CMSOONER
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusooner View Post
Yeah I agree there a couple of the Centers and PFís who would definitely help us ...
Igiehon & Mitchell will get interest from every team in college basketball. But I can dream.
CMSOONER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
Darwin
Starter

Besides the normal grad transfers, are the others immediately eligible?
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:31 PM   #7
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

I went through the entire list of bigs (power forwards and centers) to see if any of them had a connection to OU in the form of an offer before they committed to their current school, the school they’re leaving now. The only name I could find is Lance Thomas (see recruiting profile below).

https://247sports.com/Player/Lance-Thomas-86100/

That doesn’t mean our coaches don’t have any other options. But, it appears to narrow the transfer portal field to some extent.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #8
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Besides the normal grad transfers, are the others immediately eligible?
Pretty sure starting next year all are

Max Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:23 AM   #9
lexusooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I went through the entire list of bigs (power forwards and centers) to see if any of them had a connection to OU in the form of an offer before they committed to their current school, the school theyíre leaving now. The only name I could find is Lance Thomas (see recruiting profile below).

https://247sports.com/Player/Lance-Thomas-86100/

That doesnít mean our coaches donít have any other options. But, it appears to narrow the transfer portal field to some extent.
Heís certainly not statistically overwhelming -
Several of the PFís and Cís in the portal have to be an upgrade for us in the post ..
Old 03-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
CoachTalk
National Champion

Reached out to

Penn states myreon Jones

Rhode islands fatts Russell
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
vbdad
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Reached out to

Penn states myreon Jones

Rhode islands fatts Russell
They must be possible replacements for Austin and Alondes.

Any idea on which bigs we are interested in at this time?
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #12
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post

Not yet.

I like the big that is leaving psu as well avg 9-9.

In reality. 1st tier bugs will go to bluebloods. Then weíll
Find one is my guess.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post

Jones is a 6’3” guard with a 15 ppg average, so I can see why our coaches would reach out to him. Russell is a 5’ 11” point guard who makes zero sense to me...that is, unless Harmon is leaving or Cortes will not be at OU next season?

The news I was hoping to see is the same as you. What bigs are we interested in?

What’s the latest on Nathan Rawlings-Kibonge, the 6’ 7” 240 football signee who plans to play basketball? He was good enough to get a BB scholarship at Washington State. Does he still plan to play both sports or is that just a pipe dream for basketball fans?
Old 03-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #14
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Jones is a 6í3Ē guard with a 15 ppg average, so I can see why our coaches would reach out to him. Russell is a 5í 11Ē point guard who makes zero sense to me...that is, unless Harmon is leaving or Cortes will not be at OU next season?

He news I was hoping to see is the same as you. By bigs weíre interested in?

Whatís the latest on Nathan Rawlings-Kibonge, the 6í 7Ē 240 football signee who plans to play basketball? He was good enough to get a BB scholarship at Washington State. Does he still plan to play both sports or is that just a pipe dream for basketball fans?
Guard depth is good.

Nrk isnít hooping last I heard.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Guard depth is good.

Nrk isnít hooping last I heard.
Iím not surprised. Some things never change. Football always seems to win the battle for key players at OU. Oh, well, NRK was an interesting preseason topic for a few weeks.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #16
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Iím not surprised. Some things never change. Football always seems to win the battle for key players at OU. Oh, well, NRK was an interesting preseason topic for a few weeks.
NRK wasn't going to help the basketball team. Dude measured in at 6'5.5. That isn't going to cut it as a big man in the Big 12.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #17
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
NRK wasn't going to help the basketball team. Dude measured in at 6'5.5. That isn't going to cut it as a big man in the Big 12.
I would take an undersized four over what we have now. Itís not like NRK canít play. He was headed to WSU on a basketball scholarship until he decided to give football a try.

As much as I hate to say it, I donít think there is a player on our current roster who could keep him glued to the bench. I like Vic and Jalen. But, talk about undersized! Neither of them are skilled enough to overcome their lack of size and strength.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #18
Stikboy
All-Conference

Actually he measured at 6-4. He’s not going to play basketball? Color me shocked. Actually, not. I called it and got the usual lectures from the usual people. It’s actually sad that OU fans are hoping for an OU football signee to provide the team with a competent big. It’s ridiculous and insane that a program the stature of OU can’t sign a big that knows how to play basketball. Pathetic.
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #19
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Actually he measured at 6-4. Heís not going to play basketball? Color me shocked. Actually, not. I called it and got the usual lectures from the usual people. Itís actually sad that OU fans are hoping for an OU football signee to provide the team with a competent big. Itís ridiculous and insane that a program the stature of OU canít sign a big that knows how to play basketball. Pathetic.
Who was that stretch four we had yesterday? He made a couple shots and seemed like maybe he could help a program. Competent bigs arenít all guys who bang down low and gobble up rebounds.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #20
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Jones is a 6í3Ē guard with a 15 ppg average, so I can see why our coaches would reach out to him. Russell is a 5í 11Ē point guard who makes zero sense to me...that is, unless Harmon is leaving or Cortes will not be at OU next season?

The news I was hoping to see is the same as you. What bigs are we interested in?

Whatís the latest on Nathan Rawlings-Kibonge, the 6í 7Ē 240 football signee who plans to play basketball? He was good enough to get a BB scholarship at Washington State. Does he still plan to play both sports or is that just a pipe dream for basketball fans?
Certainly bigs are the most pressing need, but among the returning players, we donít have a reliable second ball handler along with Harmon, so I can see why they would also be interested in backcourt options. But frontcourt is definitely the priority, or should be.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:05 PM   #21
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Actually he measured at 6-4. Heís not going to play basketball? Color me shocked. Actually, not. I called it and got the usual lectures from the usual people. Itís actually sad that OU fans are hoping for an OU football signee to provide the team with a competent big. Itís ridiculous and insane that a program the stature of OU canít sign a big that knows how to play basketball. Pathetic.
The coaches and kid said he was going to play. Iím not sure anyone thought heíd come in and be our starting big....
Old 03-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #22
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Pj Tucker. Says hi.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #23
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Who was that stretch four we had yesterday? He made a couple shots and seemed like maybe he could help a program. Competent bigs arenít all guys who bang down low and gobble up rebounds.
Oh yeah...Manek! Is that who you're talking about? Goodness gracious how could I forget about him? I take it back.

And thanks for reminding me that we don't need anybody that can bang down low and gobble up rebounds. Stay after me... I can be a handful to keep in line. But i'll sleep well tonight knowing you'll do your best!
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #24
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
The coaches and kid said he was going to play. Iím not sure anyone thought heíd come in and be our starting big....
Exactly! NRK was thought to a backup plan, an athletic big with some basketball skills to add to our depth. No one that I can recall was under the illusion he would be the next Julius Peppers. Lon was said to be involved in his recruitment, so it definitely appeared to be a possibility at the time.

Then again, some of us have been down this road before. Football is still king at OU.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #25
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Oh yeah...Manek! Is that who you're talking about? Goodness gracious how could I forget about him? I take it back.

And thanks for reminding me that we don't need anybody that can bang down low and gobble up rebounds. Stay after me... I can be a handful to keep in line. But i'll sleep well tonight knowing you'll do your best!
How could you possibly forget? The always present board monitors are on standby to correct any error you make and to provide expert advice on how you should act or think. The service is free, too