ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
OUHoops
Administrator
 
OUHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,345
Default UMass Transfers looking at OU

I know nothing about any of these players.

Quote:
@JonRothstein: UMass transfers Dejon Jarreau & Brison Gresham receiving interest from SHU, UConn, Creighton, TT, Tulane, OU, Minn., & Houston, per source.
OUHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
OUHoops
Administrator
 
OUHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,345
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Actually, I do remember OU flirting with the Jarreau kid.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/2...fer_from_umass

Edit: And now my memory is totally refreshed. They were HS teammates from New Orleans. OU offered them both.
OUHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
sooner333
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman
Posts: 647
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Just looking at their profiles, both just completed their freshman year. Jarreau played quite a bit and averaged over 4 assists per game (to go along with 3 turnovers) and was not a great long range shooter. Gresham did not play much. Both are from New Orleans.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,694
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Just looking at their profiles, both just completed their freshman year. Jarreau played quite a bit and averaged over 4 assists per game (to go along with 3 turnovers) and was not a great long range shooter. Gresham did not play much. Both are from New Orleans.
So they will have 4 years to play 3? That could certainly be a major boon for 2 years from now.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,169
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Since we signed Lazenby don't we only have 1 open scholarship?
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,633
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

DeJon Jarreau, Brison Gresham, prized UMass basketball freshmen, to transfer
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketb...rt_river_index
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
sooner333
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman
Posts: 647
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Since we signed Lazenby don't we only have 1 open scholarship?
That is the case, as I understand it. Possible we are interested in both, but not necessarily as a package deal. Or it's possible we are interested in just one of them, but the tweet lumped the two together.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,242
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Man I hope not. Now that Kruger has the "depth" that he desires, save them and work your tail off to get some HS ballers next year. Grad transfers, fine, one year. But does OU really need average at best transfers that will hog spots for 3 more years? Doesn't sound like these guys were really setting the world on fire.
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #9
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,169
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Man I hope not. Now that Kruger has the "depth" that he desires, save them and work your tail off to get some HS ballers next year. Grad transfers, fine, one year. But does OU really need average at best transfers that will hog spots for 3 more years? Doesn't sound like these guys were really setting the world on fire.
They are both better prospects than Lazenby and are what OU needs (combo guard & quick twitch big). OU recruited them out of hs & I think Jarreau was a borderline top 50 product.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,242
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Well, ok. I'll confess I don't know much about them. I assumed they weren't that highly rated since they are at UMASS. How tall is the big? If we could get another Spangler esque guy, bring it. Wonder why they're leaving?
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #11
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,169
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Well, ok. I'll confess I don't know much about them. I assumed they weren't that highly rated since they are at UMASS. How tall is the big? If we could get another Spangler esque guy, bring it. Wonder why they're leaving?
He's about 6'7. Gresham isn't like Spangler, think in between Juan Patillo & Kyle Hardrick.

No idea why they're leaving.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #12
TINY
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,347
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Would take jarreau for sure. Much better prospect than lazenby but oh well.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,694
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
He's about 6'7. Gresham isn't like Spangler, think in between Juan Patillo & Kyle Hardrick.

No idea why they're leaving.
UMass made a coaching change.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #14
dubyac
Walk-on
 
dubyac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 456
Default

I remember those guys... I think they were late visitors last year, i believe we got Shepard & that was it for the Jarreau kid...?

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
dubyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 AM   #15
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,933
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

these do not move my needle
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #16
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 798
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
these do not move my needle
Seriously? Jarreau was a top 35 player and averaged just under 10 points/game as a freshman. He's 6'5" and can play either guard position....and will have 3 years left to play!

I would take him in a heartbeat!! I'm just not sure if they want to be a package deal again or not. If so, I don't think we are an option.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #17
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,368
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

I have a feeling OU's interest in these players was before Lazenby took one of the two scholarships we have available. We only have room for one more transfer, and by all accounts they want to play together.

One more thing. Am I the only one who is not overly impressed with the numbers they put up at UMASS?
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #18
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,567
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
I have a feeling OU's interest in these players was before Lazenby took one of the two scholarships we have available. We only have room for one more transfer, and by all accounts they want to play together.

One more thing. Am I the only one who is not overly impressed with the numbers they put up at UMASS?
I am more impressed with UMASS numbers than JUCO numbers. I would rather have jarreau than lazenby but I'm also not paid to make those decisions
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #19
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
One more thing. Am I the only one who is not overly impressed with the numbers they put up at UMASS?
Jarreau was a true freshman, so the only hesitation I have would be his 3 point percentage. His shooting needs a lot of work, and I'm concerned that may never develop. He doesn't look like he has a true position, but if Trae is a one-and-done (fingers crossed for two years), I could see him developing into our starting PG with his redshirt/transfer year. He can get to the basket with ease, and he's a nightmare in transition. I'm not sure where he's at defensively, but he has the size and athleticism to make life difficult for opposing guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6h9526HE0Q
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #20
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,368
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Jarreau was a true freshman, so the only hesitation I have would be his 3 point percentage. His shooting needs a lot of work, and I'm concerned that may never develop. He doesn't look like he has a true position, but if Trae is a one-and-done (fingers crossed for two years), I could see him developing into our starting PG with his redshirt/transfer year. He can get to the basket with ease, and he's a nightmare in transition. I'm not sure where he's at defensively, but he has the size and athleticism to make life difficult for opposing guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6h9526HE0Q
Excellent points, Eielson! That's what I get for opening my big mouth before I watched a single video on this kid. Needless to say, I liked what I saw. He's long and lean and very athletic. Like you said, he has the size and skills to get to the basket with ease.

Judging by what I saw on this video, he could play the point or swing to the two if Trae stays two years or more. The question is, will Jarreau break up the twosome or will he still want to go as a package deal with Gresham? We don't have room for both players unless someone else on our roster we don't know about is leaving.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 798
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Look at Buddy's & Cousin's 3 pt % their freshman year. They were 24 % and 25%, but they both brought those up into the 40%+ range by their Jr. season.

Look at Woodard's % his soph (25%) vs. Jr(45%)/Sr(36%) years. Believe it or not, it IS possible to improve your shooting %'s. Those are just 3 most recent examples.

Just because the kid shot 24% from 3 land during his true freshman season at UMASS, doesn't mean he will be a career 25% 3 point shooter.

Shooting is all about time and effort. Tons of repetition. Those who put in the time, improve their %, those who don't, won't. There are always other factors that can impact it as well (injuries, focal point of offenses, open shots vs. contested shots, etc.), but you typically see most shooters steadily improve their % over time.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #22
cjhsooner
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 479
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Considering OU has never been a school to hit it out of the park when recruiting highly-ranked kids (the highly ranked kids coming here are from Oklahoma). If there is not a kid highly ranked from OK, I always assume they won't be committing here (that way I am pleasantly surprised the rare occasion it happens).

I would recruit these athletes, but that is just me.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #23
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,169
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyac View Post
I remember those guys... I think they were late visitors last year, i believe we got Shepard & that was it for the Jarreau kid...?

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
I could be wrong but I think OU stopped after Pritchard, then started back on them but didn't get them, then OU got shepherd. I could be wrong though.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #24
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,694
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

not sure why you say Jarreau needs work on his shot. he actually has a pretty good looking shot. just needs more reps. I am more concerned about his ballhandling than his shot.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #25
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: UMass Transfers looking at OU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
not sure why you say Jarreau needs work on his shot. he actually has a pretty good looking shot. just needs more reps. I am more concerned about his ballhandling than his shot.
All his 3's went in on his highlight video, true.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com