ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 04-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #76
soonerdanny
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 65
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Yeah, you are proving my point. Beard's style is slow, just like Shaka played at Texas.
Your original claim wasn't that Beard's style is "just like" Shaka's. It was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Texas basketball just got a whole lot more boring for their fans.
It's unclear from your statements what your point actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Their fans hated it, their star recruits didn't like it either. It's one the reasons Texas struggled to win.
Vast oversimplification at best. Their fans hated the losing and the coaching incompetence. The missing out on the NCAA tourney half the time. The zero wins at the NCAA tourneys they did manage to make. Several of Rick Barnes' best teams at Texas played a similar pace to Beard's teams and their fans didn't mind too much because the results were there. Much like we grumbled about some aspects of Kelvin's offenses but were generally pleased with the overall results most of the time.

Texas didn't lose because their star recruits were unhappy with Shaka's style either. They lost because Shaka's offense generally runs like a clogged toilet, because their FT shooting is generally bad, and because he is weak at in-game adjustments, among other things. Their offensive fundamentals are bad. They usually have no idea how to effectively attack a zone. They chuck up tons of threes against every opponent even though they usually don't shoot them well, leading to a bunch of run-outs for opposing teams. According to UT's NBA alums, Shaka's practices were a joke. You could write a book on all of the things Shaka does/did poorly, and those are the reasons he failed.

His players loved him, though. They probably loved him too much, because he never seemed to chew anyone's rear end when they deserved it, and it's thus not surprising that their effort was often up and down from game to game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Yeah, I expect Beard's Texas's teams to do well on defense, just like Smart's. I don't see Beard being a massive upgrade over Shaka Smart, and he's definitely not Bill Self.
I never said he was Bill Self or anything close to Bill Self. I was just responding to your context-free comparison of their conference records.
soonerdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #77
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,916
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Losers mentality? It’s called a damn rivalry.
Have you ever been to Dallas and the RRS?
I've been to a crap load of RRS games. First, that is game day. I hate the F out of some Texas on game day. And in football, Texas is definitely #1 on the rivalry list.

But in hoops? A rival yes, but I loathe OSU basketball much more than Texas basketball. I'd rather beat KU, than Texas, because most of the time it'll mean more.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #78
Matthew G
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 468
Default Re: Beard to Texas

So do people on this board think Chris Beard is a top 5 coach in college basketball?


That question is posed because he makes the 4th most money in college basketball, and is about to make even more. Only Coach K, Cal, and Jay Wright make more than what he made at Texas Tech. Izzo, Self, Bennett, Scott Drew, Mark Few, etc. all make less.



Also, for all the talk about Texas Tech vs OU in terms of programs, Texas Tech paid the 4th most money for their coach and is building a performance facility and practice gym that cost 4 times as much as our new one. So while OU historically is better than Texas Tech, they've pumped a lot more money into their basketball program than we've even attempted in the last decade. Sorry OU fans, but our as great as we've been historically, we've constantly made sure our program doesn't rise too high with the lack of support.
Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #79
opsooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Worst case scenario. That guy is a phenomenal coach. I could not believe how quickly he got things rolling at Tech.

Agree. Texas is now going to get much better starting now. We will have a lot of catching up to do. But that was going to be true anyway.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #80
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,499
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
State is a minor thing for me if you have the same recruiting base. He also switched conferences.

While he may not have cashed in on IU's wannabe-blue blood status, he didn't exactly do worse at IU. He won the Big 10 twice vs winning C-USA once and never finished above 4th in the Big East. He also went to the Sweet 16 three times at IU despite advancing past the round of 32 once at Marquette.
Was that once the year he made the Final 4? I'm assuming so (with Dwyane Wade).
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #81
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Old Booger View Post
Was that once the year he made the Final 4? I'm assuming so (with Dwyane Wade).
Yup. Other than that season, he won a grand total of one NCAA tournament game at Marquette.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #82
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,499
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Yup. Other than that season, he won a grand total of one NCAA tournament game at Marquette.
I always thought he was a good coach.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #83
Romulus
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,320
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Beard steals away KU’s top recruiter in Jerrance Howard. He also added Rodney Terry back to the staff. Pretty decent staff down there.
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #84
mict085
All-Conference
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,123
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Beard steals away KU’s top recruiter in Jerrance Howard. He also added Rodney Terry back to the staff. Pretty decent staff down there.
KUs top recruiter is adidas and bill self. And Benjamin Franklin.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #85
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,916
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
KUs top recruiter is adidas and bill self. And Benjamin Franklin.
Benjamin Franklin has been dead for.....ohhh, I see what you did there.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #86
soonerdanny
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 65
Default Re: Beard to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Beard steals away KU’s top recruiter in Jerrance Howard.
...who played three seasons for Bill Self.

In my fantasy, this means KU has received word that the Hammer of Thor will be dropping imminently.

But we know that will never happen.
soonerdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com