ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

View Poll Results: Is the SEC move better for OU from a competitive perspective?
Yes, OU's odds of success in winning conference and national championships is improved 27 61.36%
No, OU's odds of success in winning conference and national championships is worse 4 9.09%
OU's odds of winning conference and national championships is the exact same as before 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2021, 05:04 PM   #76
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,743
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Replacing our entire DL, a linebacker or two, and a QB? No chance.

OU will definitely take a step back next year. I don't care how good CW is, he isn't going to step in day 1 and perform how we all expect Rattler to perform this year. Just like Rattler didn't always perform very well early last year. DL will hurt the most. Recruiting is getting better there, but we're going to be wildly inexperienced and unproven.

Edit: Could lose Brooks and Gray at RB. Could lose Haselwood and Wease at WR. Stogner will be gone. A few from the OL are gone. We stand to lose quite a bit after this season. I'm not saying we'll fall off the planet as a program, but it's almost certain we take a step back.
Caleb Williams is supposedly better than Rattler. Not really worried about the offense they'll get the talent there. The defense just needs to get different guys. We barely ever get linemen with size the last decade or so. Not sure if that's changed with the last few classes though. We need to start getting linemen at over 300 lbs on defense.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:12 PM   #77
Eielson
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,567
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Even with the departure of Perkins, we still have one of the top DLs in the country. Perkins may have been our best DL of the past decade, so that speaks volumes to the direction of our DL development. This doesn't seem to be a flash in the pan.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:37 PM   #78
Darwin
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cleveland county
Posts: 1,175
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Caleb Williams is supposedly better than Rattler. Not really worried about the offense they'll get the talent there. The defense just needs to get different guys. We barely ever get linemen with size the last decade or so. Not sure if that's changed with the last few classes though. We need to start getting linemen at over 300 lbs on defense.
Really? Message board post or OU coach? I'm not trying to come after you, it's just funny, like this board loves the recruit to start and gives up on the kid after one season. I believe he is real good but Rattlers likely going #1. And yes we need more high class D linemen to compete and depth everywhere.

Last edited by Darwin; 07-28-2021 at 05:52 PM.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:45 PM   #79
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,743
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Really? Message board post or OU coach? I'm not trying to come after you, it's just funny, like this board loves the recruit to start and gives up on the kid after one season. I believe he is real good but Rattlers likely going #1.
He's the highest rated recruit OU's had out of HS at QB since Bomar. And the guy they just got for 2023 is supposed to be higher rated than Williams.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #80
sheepdogs1
Final Four
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,749
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Really? Message board post or OU coach? I'm not trying to come after you, it's just funny, like this board loves the recruit to start and gives up on the kid after one season. I believe he is real good but Rattlers likely going #1.

Caleb Williams is a far better runner thus the statement. Rattler came here as a dual threat QB but it's beyond obvious that his feet are not in the same league as Jalen or Kyler and Caleb has that type of ability.

Dazzling ability with the feet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnQD9YLawKE

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 07-28-2021 at 06:12 PM.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #81
Eielson
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,567
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Really? Message board post or OU coach? I'm not trying to come after you, it's just funny, like this board loves the recruit to start and gives up on the kid after one season. I believe he is real good but Rattlers likely going #1. And yes we need more high class D linemen to compete and depth everywhere.
Coaches and insiders are VERY high on what they've seen from Caleb this Spring.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #82
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
He's the highest rated recruit OU's had out of HS at QB since Bomar. And the guy they just got for 2023 is supposed to be higher rated than Williams.
That is fine, but we're talking about a single season. Give me Soph Rattler over Freshman Williams any day of the week.

Just b/c Williams may have a higher ceiling (I'm not sold on that yet), doesn't mean he'll be better next year than Rattler is expected to be this year. And that was the conversation. No crap we'll be fine at QB over the long run. The question is will we be as good next year as we are this year. I say no.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #83
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,442
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Replacing our entire DL, a linebacker or two, and a QB? No chance.
they don't replace the entire Dline ... OU will rotate 10+ guys on the Dline this year ...

most of those players will return ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #84
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,330
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

I’ve heard Williams is already better than Rattler, but coaches are tied since Rattler is likely #1 pick.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #85
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
they don't replace the entire Dline ... OU will rotate 10+ guys on the Dline this year ...

most of those players will return ..
OU is not going to play 10+ guys consistently on the Dline this year. That is crazy. Bonnito, Thomas, Redmond, and Winfrey are going to take most of the important snaps. There are a few guys that will get snaps to relieve those guys (a few options at rush, Ellison, Stokes, and probably Kelley/Coe). Anybody that plays after that is going to be playing mop up. You don't go three-deep and play lesser players when you are chasing a title.

And they will replace the Dline starters. Bonnito, Thomas, Winfrey, and Redmond are all projected to leave after this year. Something could change, but I'd be shocked if anybody but possibly Redmond was back next year. Who behind those 4 has accomplished anything on the field yet that resembles replacing what those guys have already done?

It's silly that we're even having this discussion. It's literally the biggest talent gap we have from starters to reserves currently.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #86
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,442
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
OU is not going to play 10+ guys consistently on the Dline this year. That is crazy. Bonnito, Thomas, Redmond, and Winfrey are going to take most of the important snaps. There are a few guys that will get snaps to relieve those guys (a few options at rush, Ellison, Stokes, and probably Kelley/Coe). Anybody that plays after that is going to be playing mop up. You don't go three-deep and play lesser players when you are chasing a title.

And they will replace the Dline starters. Bonnito, Thomas, Winfrey, and Redmond are all projected to leave after this year. Something could change, but I'd be shocked if anybody but possibly Redmond was back next year. Who behind those 4 has accomplished anything on the field yet that resembles replacing what those guys have already done?

It's silly that we're even having this discussion. It's literally the biggest talent gap we have from starters to reserves currently.
would you like to make a wager??


In the first Q of games OU will hit 8 dlinemen

OU will hit 10 in the first half of almost every game ..

Redmond might not start .... Stokes and ellison will play that spot a bunch

Roberson and Kelley will both also get run at the nose .. and Coe will likely also get some run

Grimes will play at DE Stripling rush/DE and walker/smith will play at rush
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #87
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,442
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post

It's silly that we're even having this discussion. It's literally the biggest talent gap we have from starters to reserves currently.
it is the smallest talent gap on the D with maybe the exception of Corner ..

and without question it is the smallest gap from starter to 3rd string on the team ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:22 PM   #88
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
it is the smallest talent gap on the D with maybe the exception of Corner ..

and without question it is the smallest gap from starter to 3rd string on the team ..
You're insane if you believe that. I could argue every other position on defense actually has players not projected to start that will end up being significantly better than the guys starting. You don't think ANY of the young safeties will be better than Fields or DTY? Really? Not Key? Not Washington? Same at CB to a slightly lesser degree. And while I'm pretty high on David U. at LB, I can guarantee the next group of LB's (Whitter/Stutsman) will be considerably better. I like Bonnito, but Smith is the better athlete who should end up the better player. Nobody backing up the DL (aside from Rush) projects to be better than the guys starting.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #89
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,012
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

i guess it depends on what you consider a DL.
But I think it is one of if not the deepest positions of the team.
I do see quite a bit of a step back next year on the DL though.

DL is deep with experience. LB and DB are deep but with younger inexperienced players
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #90
Eielson
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,567
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Give me Soph Rattler over Freshman Williams any day of the week.
Williams will be a sophomore. Don't think for a second he won't be getting reps. There's no point in redshirting a guy like Caleb. If he's still here after five years, Malachi Nelson will have taken his spot.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:27 AM   #91
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Williams will be a sophomore. Don't think for a second he won't be getting reps. There's no point in redshirting a guy like Caleb. If he's still here after five years, Malachi Nelson will have taken his spot.
I agree with you, I meant in terms of years starting by my freshman/soph comment. CW will be the #2 guy, and he'll likely get the mop up snaps, but it won't be the same as having started a full season (comparing Rattler this year to Williams next year).

We'll see. I think Williams has a ton of potential, but I'm not buying that he is already better than Rattler. Rattler was the far more polished passer coming out of HS.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #92
hoopsaustin
Final Four
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakland, Maine
Posts: 6,559
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Williams will be a sophomore. Don't think for a second he won't be getting reps. There's no point in redshirting a guy like Caleb. If he's still here after five years, Malachi Nelson will have taken his spot.
You're right. But man, if it were me, i would save my season of eligibility just in case to hedge my bets. You never know. With the addition of the 4 games rule and still keep redshirt, we may take a crack at it. But i bet you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his own package of plays. Rattler better be putting in extra work this year
__________________
Porter Moser's Sooners = National Champions by 2026!
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #93
OULad
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman
Posts: 642
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Id say its the same, unless they actually use this extra money to invest more in basketball.
OULad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #94
AnotherSoonerInTX
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 31
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OULad View Post
Id say its the same, unless they actually use this extra money to invest more in basketball.
This is so OU...two pages on a basketball thread discussing football. I love OU football as much as anyone.

When it comes to basketball, I agree with this post. I hope the increase in revenue is placed into facilities. Off the top of my head, I know Auburn and Ole Miss have both built new arenas since the SEC Network came on the air. Also, Florida rebuilt their arena. We have non-football facilities that need help: basketball, baseball, and softball for starters.

It's a new world in college athletics, with NIL now, and possibly pay-for-play later. The SEC positions OU for success in that new world.
AnotherSoonerInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #95
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,012
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
they don't replace the entire Dline ... OU will rotate 10+ guys on the Dline this year ...

most of those players will return ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
OU is not going to play 10+ guys consistently on the Dline this year. That is crazy. Bonnito, Thomas, Redmond, and Winfrey are going to take most of the important snaps. There are a few guys that will get snaps to relieve those guys (a few options at rush, Ellison, Stokes, and probably Kelley/Coe). Anybody that plays after that is going to be playing mop up. You don't go three-deep and play lesser players when you are chasing a title.

And they will replace the Dline starters. Bonnito, Thomas, Winfrey, and Redmond are all projected to leave after this year. Something could change, but I'd be shocked if anybody but possibly Redmond was back next year. Who behind those 4 has accomplished anything on the field yet that resembles replacing what those guys have already done?

It's silly that we're even having this discussion. It's literally the biggest talent gap we have from starters to reserves currently.
Grinch said that they plan to rotate 8 interior dline and 6 edge rushers this year. I think 8+6 is more than 10

Now that is probably an overstatement to keep guys fighting but i think we will for sure see 10 guys involved
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:17 PM   #96
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,743
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
OU is not going to play 10+ guys consistently on the Dline this year.
Grinch says he trusts 14 guys on the DLine. But I'm not sure how many of those will also play LB because it could mean he's counting guys like Bonitto that will play some LB.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:38 AM   #97
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,064
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Grinch says he trusts 14 guys on the DLine. But I'm not sure how many of those will also play LB because it could mean he's counting guys like Bonitto that will play some LB.
Trusting 14 guys, and 14 guys getting snaps throughout the season, is NOT the same as playing 14 guys on a regular basis. I'll say it again, that will NOT happen in our bigger/closer games. It just won't. Some of you are literally suggesting we're going to play our 3rd or even 4th string guys for multiple snaps in close games that matter? Won't happen.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #98
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,012
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Trusting 14 guys, and 14 guys getting snaps throughout the season, is NOT the same as playing 14 guys on a regular basis. I'll say it again, that will NOT happen in our bigger/closer games. It just won't. Some of you are literally suggesting we're going to play our 3rd or even 4th string guys for multiple snaps in close games that matter? Won't happen.
I don't remember the qualifier "in close games that matter" from the original argument.

I do think we will regularly rotate 10 guys on the dline. Grinch has said as such and has shown he loves to rotate often.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:28 PM   #99
OKURanger
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 287
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherSoonerInTX View Post
This is so OU...two pages on a basketball thread discussing football. I love OU football as much as anyone.

When it comes to basketball, I agree with this post. I hope the increase in revenue is placed into facilities. Off the top of my head, I know Auburn and Ole Miss have both built new arenas since the SEC Network came on the air. Also, Florida rebuilt their arena. We have non-football facilities that need help: basketball, baseball, and softball for starters.

It's a new world in college athletics, with NIL now, and possibly pay-for-play later. The SEC positions OU for success in that new world.
I agree and certainly hope some of the increased revenue will flow into other athletic programs. As for our men's and women's basketball programs, the timing seems to be good as we have two young, hungry coaches now leading our basketball teams.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Joe C. hired our basketball coaches knowing that OU's transition to a new conference would need leaders ready to make the jump?
OKURanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #100
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,330
Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKURanger View Post
I agree and certainly hope some of the increased revenue will flow into other athletic programs. As for our men's and women's basketball programs, the timing seems to be good as we have two young, hungry coaches now leading our basketball teams.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Joe C. hired our basketball coaches knowing that OU's transition to a new conference would need leaders ready to make the jump?
Make the jump? They are going into a weaker basketball conference & it will probably make recruiting easier. Porter got hired because he was the best coaching candidate for basketball purposes.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com