ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 07-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
NickZepp
National Champion

Default The Big 12 has accepted UCF, Cincy, Houston, and BYU

OU and Texas to SEC is maybe closing on being a done deal.

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 09-10-2021 at 10:26 AM.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Default Re: So we may be seeing the Big 12 RIP.

A brave new world.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
A brave new world.
I would support it.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
skyvue
Final Four

I hate supersized conferences with a passion. This would a very depressing development for me. And all those fans (mostly on the football boards) who think it's going to be some kind of magic move that will benefit us greatly I think are seriously kidding themselves. We would be one of several good-to-great programs and we'd be the new kids on the block, with little to no power or influence.

The SEC also is a slimy conference; if we have to dive into the muck and mire to keep up, it'll be embarrassing. We have our share of misdeeds in the past, but we've run pretty darned clean programs in this century and I very much want to see that continue.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I hate supersized conferences with a passion. This would a very depressing development for me. And all those fans (mostly on the football boards) who think it's going to be some kind of magic move that will benefit us greatly I think are seriously kidding themselves. We would be one of several good-to-great programs and we'd be the new kids on the block, with little to no power or influence.

The SEC also is a slimy conference; if we have to dive into the muck and mire to keep up, it'll be embarrassing. We have our share of misdeeds in the past, but we've run pretty darned clean programs in this century and I very much want to see that continue.
The current move has been the formation of super conferences so it's just a matter of time for it to occur, in addition to where. The BIG 10 is already splitting at the seams with their "10" so it has to be another conference and that only leaves a couple of choices such as the ACC and PAC. Now no one in their right mind wants to get stuck playing games well into the night or at the crack of dawn so that pretty much eliminates the west coast thing. So, it's likely down to the ACC or SEC.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
NickZepp
National Champion

The positives for OU basketball is that it's probably a conference that's probably a bit easier than the Big 12. The Big 12 has been pretty solid top to bottom for the last several years really. Where as the SEC's been decent towards the top but has had very little depth so it's a conference that if OU gets good in basketball they can probably compete in.

The money will obviously be good and maybe it'll lead to even even better facilities quicker. We could actually see the LNC replaced in the next few years.

But thinking it'll be better in the long run is madness. Mizzouri and A&M are both way less relevant after their moves. Nebraska is so far from being the national power it was in football just 25 year ago and it'll never come close to going back. The same fate could be the same for OU and Texas in an SEC. They are both way better programs than the other 3 but Texas has gone through a decade of being barely relevant in the Big 12. And Oklahoma went through that in the 90s.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
Eielson
All-American

OU going to SEC without OSU sounds completely fabricated. Can't imagine the state allowing that.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
Eielson
All-American

Well...there's enough smoke that maybe there's fire this time. Some people more connected than me think it's a real possibility. I guess we'll see.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #9
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Well...there's enough smoke that maybe there's fire this time. Some people more connected than me think it's a real possibility. I guess we'll see.
I think A&M let this leak early because they don't want it to happen. I bet if it doesn't happen OU leaves for the Big 10 instead. The 11 AM OU/Nebbish time was a final straw apparently.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #10
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

As usual, this is about money. One report I read said OU would lose $20 mil when their current sports contract runs out this time next year. Theyíre hoping to make that up by joining the SEC. But, I didnít get the impression itís a done deal by any means.

For one thing, A&M is going to create quite a stir in Texas to keep the Whorns out of the SEC. OSU may hate the Sooners, but no Poke fan in their right mind wants to see us in another conference.

My prediction: Attorneys are already counting the money theyíre going to make when this goes to court.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/...ded-to-the-sec
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:25 PM   #11
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
As usual, this is about money. One report I read said OU would lose $20 mil when their current sports contract runs out this time next year. They’re hoping to make that up by joining the SEC. But, I didn’t get the impression it’s a done deal by any means.

For one thing, A&M is going to create quite a stir in Texas to keep the Whorns out of the SEC. OSU may hate the Sooners, but no Poke fan in their right mind wants to see us in another conference.

My prediction: Attorneys are already counting the money they’re going to make when this goes to court.

I don't see OU staying in the Big 12. OU did this when they voted against a network though so this was gonna be the end result. TCU and WVU to the Big 12 was just a delay tactic to keep the conference around. If the network deal worked out there's a good chance the Big 12 never broke up.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #12
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
The positives for OU basketball is that it's probably a conference that's probably a bit easier than the Big 12. The Big 12 has been pretty solid top to bottom for the last several years really. Where as the SEC's been decent towards the top but has had very little depth so it's a conference that if OU gets good in basketball they can probably compete in.

The money will obviously be good and maybe it'll lead to even even better facilities quicker. We could actually see the LNC replaced in the next few years.

But thinking it'll be better in the long run is madness. Mizzouri and A&M are both way less relevant after their moves. Nebraska is so far from being the national power it was in football just 25 year ago and it'll never come close to going back. The same fate could be the same for OU and Texas in an SEC. They are both way better programs than the other 3 but Texas has gone through a decade of being barely relevant in the Big 12. And Oklahoma went through that in the 90s.
I think you're wrong here. Rattler, his backup and the QB, who recently committed, all have something in common and that is they are the #1 rated QB in the land. We have all the brand name and appeal we need to do very well in the SEC. We kicked Missouri's and A&M's ass in the Big 12 and we would do the very same in any other conference. Nothing changes there. If I had to guess we would be placed in the opposing side of the conference from Bama. This would put us in the same division as Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Tennessee and that suits me fine for there is nothing to be scared of. Georgia and Florida would also be division foes and yet they are not to be feared either.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #13
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
I think A&M let this leak early because they don't want it to happen. I bet if it doesn't happen OU leaves for the Big 10 instead. The 11 AM OU/Nebbish time was a final straw apparently.
I think this is more about negotiating power than anything. Big 12 needs to remember it folds if OU bails.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:39 PM   #14
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
As usual, this is about money. One report I read said OU would lose $20 mil when their current sports contract runs out this time next year. Theyíre hoping to make that up by joining the SEC. But, I didnít get the impression itís a done deal by any means.

My prediction: Attorneys are already counting the money theyíre going to make when this goes to court.

It's been about money for a while and we cannot play second fiddle to other conferences indefinitely.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #15
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
I think you're wrong here. Rattler, his backup and the QB, who recently committed, all have something in common and that is they are the #1 rated QB in the land. We have all the brand name and appeal we need to do very well in the SEC. We kicked Missouri's and A&M's ass in the Big 12 and we would do the very same in any other conference. Nothing changes there. If I had to guess we would be placed in the opposing side of the conference from Bama. This would put us in the same division as Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Tennessee and that suits me fine for there is nothing to be scared of. Georgia and Florida would also be division foes and yet they are not to be feared either.
My guess is divisions would be
West
OU
Texas
A&M
Ark
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss State
Mizz

East
Bama
Georgia
Auburn
Florida
Tenn
Vandy
South Carolina
Kentucky

The smartest thing for football would just to pod schedule so you don't have such a schedule that's loaded for one team every year or easier for one team. But I doubt it happens that way. Basketball may would probably have some teams only play once a year though.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:01 PM   #16
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
It's been about money for a while and we cannot play second fiddle to other conferences indefinitely.
Iím not opposed to the move, Iím for it! I just donít think this is even close to a done deal.

Something tells me the legal and legislative pushback is going to heat up in a hurry if this report is accurate. Schools in both conferences have a lot to lose if itís approved, and theyíre not going to sit idly by and welcome the change.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:06 PM   #17
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Iím not opposed to the move, Iím for it! I just donít think this is even close to a done deal.

Something tells me the legal and legislative pushback is going to heat up in a hurry if this report is accurate. Schools in both conferences have a lot to lose if itís approved, and theyíre not going to sit idly by and welcome the change.

We are allowed to seek out our own destiny and if the bottom feeders are opposed then so be it. They cannot prevent this from a legal standpoint. Not sure any team has been precluded from joining another conference to date.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #18
BCSooners
Sweet 16

If OU gets voted in & Texas doesn’t, does OU still go? I’d say yes, but I’d rather OU go to the Pac12.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #19
CoachTalk
National Champion

Not happening. Ou just tired of 11am football games.

Leverage!
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #20
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Say OU and Texas go to the SEC. Could any other Big12 team get on at another P5 conference?

I could see:
KU - ACC
ISU- B10
WVU-ACC
TTU- Pac12 (doubtful)

I don’t see anyone else latching on anywhere.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:39 PM   #21
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Say OU and Texas go to the SEC. Could any other Big12 team get on at another P5 conference?

I could see:
KU - ACC
ISU- B10
WVU-ACC
TTU- Pac12 (doubtful)

I don’t see anyone else latching on anywhere.
I kinda think KU goes Big 10 now. I thought ACC at first. But KU is an AAU member which Big 10 likes. Plus they are a Basketball power. ISU makes sense regionally also. WVU and if ND doesn't join a conference it could be OSU to the ACC. I think ND probably has to join a conference at this point too much money in it now to not. If Pac 12 wants a Texas foot print they could get Baylor/Tech maybe Houston. If not there could be a move for the rest of the Big 12 to form a lower conference with adding of Houston, BYU, Boise and maybe SMU. It would be at the level of an AAC or Conference USA or Mountain West though.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #22
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post

I could see:
KU - ACC
ISU- B10
WVU-ACC
TTU- Pac12 (doubtful)

I donít see anyone else latching on anywhere.

Many of the athletic directors are asking themselves if this is all just a bad dream.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #23
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Many of the athletic directors are asking themselves if this is all just a bad dream.
Kansas will be fine because of basketball. ACC will eat up WVU right away. ISU if Big 10 says no to them is screwed. Baylor, OSU, Kansas State, Texas Tech are all ****ting their pants. TCU knew their score coming in.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #24
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Kansas will be fine because of basketball. ACC will eat up WVU right away. ISU if Big 10 says no to them is screwed. Baylor, OSU, Kansas State, Texas Tech are all ****ting their pants. TCU knew their score coming in.
KU will probably be fine, but when it looked like the conference was going down in flames a decade ago, they found out that basketball isnít nearly as important as some imagine when it comes to finding a landing spot. It canít be overstated how terrible the rest of their athletic department has been lately. Iíd love to see them have to squirm again if these rumors come true.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #25
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
OU going to SEC without OSU sounds completely fabricated. Can't imagine the state allowing that.
The only bright side to this atrocity is screwing osu (and a&m)