ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #251
OhioBornSoonerBred
Walk-on
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 40
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

We're still in unless there are quite a few more bid stealers.

That said, I can't help but laugh at all the guys on the team who took to social media after the KU win to say "We're going to the dance", before promptly getting their butt kicked by KSU and then laying an egg against WVU to put us in this position.
OhioBornSoonerBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #252
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Man did Houston ever try to give that game to Memphis. Missed about 500 straight free throws, turned it over several times, and gave up scores of offensive rebounds down the stretch. Thankfully Memphis couldn't take advantage. One potential bid stealer down, four to go.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #253
mict085
Role Player
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 729
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Donít get the love for texas. Yeah, they have 2 good wins but 16-16 should never get in the tourney unless you win the conference auto bid.

Also, donít understand the temple love.

Belmont is more deserving than texas, temple, NC state, and any of the last 4 in
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #254
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,354
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

FWIW .. The latest take from Yahoo Sports ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-tourna...194906569.html
__________________
In the NCAA Tournament 6 of last 7 years.
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #255
SoonerTraveler
Final Four
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,354
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

So far, Buffalo is doing their part to avoid the upset.

https://getsomemaction.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

As a side note ... Go Cyclones!
__________________
In the NCAA Tournament 6 of last 7 years.
SoonerTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #256
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 86
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Don’t get the love for texas. Yeah, they have 2 good wins but 16-16 should never get in the tourney unless you win the conference auto bid.

Also, don’t understand the temple love.

Belmont is more deserving than texas, temple, NC state, and any of the last 4 in
I don't even think Texas is under consideration any more. The committee can't put a .500 team with 16 losses in the NCAA Tournament.

Belmont is my 70th team, but I'm not going to complain if they make it. However, their claim to fame is two wins over Lipscomb, a win at UCLA and a win over Murray St. That's pretty much pure bunk. They also lost twice to Jax St. (I know they were third in the conference, but still). Plus they have 17 (!) Q4 wins. They don't really have much of an argument, with the obvious exception that all of the last few teams have extremely weak resumes too.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #257
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 86
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Good day for the bubble teams so far; the American is safe, and Utah St. has won.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #258
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Donít get the love for texas. Yeah, they have 2 good wins but 16-16 should never get in the tourney unless you win the conference auto bid.

Also, donít understand the temple love.

Belmont is more deserving than texas, temple, NC state, and any of the last 4 in
I don't think there is much love for Texas. They are in the conversation because they have five really good with, but I think they'll fall short.

Bowling Green and Oregon are the only bid stealers left. So for those teams right on the cut line, today has been a good day.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #259
slappy in OP
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,532
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Oregon looks like they will steal a bid. Washington has been HORRIBLE offensively and has stretches of bad defending to boot.
slappy in OP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #260
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 86
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Here's my 68 listed below (in order). After going through it all, I think we're closer to an 8 than we are a 10 (though I'd MUCH rather have a 10). The teams/resumes we're competing against just completely stink beyond belief. After the first 10 teams overall, I really think you can throw the rest of the names against the wall and seed the 3's-6's in about any order you want.

Last four in: TCU, Arizona State, NC State, Furman
First four out: Clemson, St. John's, Belmont, Temple

1 - Duke, Virginia, UNC, Michigan State/Gonzaga
2 - Michigan State/Gonzaga, Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan
3 - Houston, LSU, Purdue, Florida State
4 - Texas Tech, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Kansas
5 - Iowa State, Villanova, Miss State, Kansas State
6 - Auburn, Marquette, Louisville, Maryland
7 - Cincinnati, Buffalo, Wofford, Nevada
8 - Seton Hall, Utah State, Syracuse, Minnesota
9 - Florida, Iowa, Oklahoma, Ohio State
10 - St. Mary's, Central Florida, Washington, VCU
11 - Baylor, Ole Miss, TCU *, Arizona State *
12 - NC State *, Furman *, Oregon, New Mexico State
13 - Liberty, Murray State, UC-Irvine, A-10
14 - Northeastern, Vermont, ODU, Ivy
15 - Montana, Bradley, Colgate, Northern Kentucky
16 - Georgia State, Abilene Christian, North Dakota State, Gardner-Webb
P/I - Fairleigh Dickinson/Iona, NC-Central/Prairie View A+M
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #261
Hollisp
Role Player
 
Hollisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 588
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Soonerfan View Post
Here's my 68 listed below (in order). After going through it all, I think we're closer to an 8 than we are a 10 (though I'd MUCH rather have a 10). The teams/resumes we're competing against just completely stink beyond belief. After the first 10 teams overall, I really think you can throw the rest of the names against the wall and seed the 3's-6's in about any order you want.

Last four in: TCU, Arizona State, NC State, Furman
First four out: Clemson, St. John's, Belmont, Temple

1 - Duke, Virginia, UNC, Michigan State/Gonzaga
2 - Michigan State/Gonzaga, Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan
3 - Houston, LSU, Purdue, Florida State
4 - Texas Tech, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Kansas
5 - Iowa State, Villanova, Miss State, Kansas State
6 - Auburn, Marquette, Louisville, Maryland
7 - Cincinnati, Buffalo, Wofford, Nevada
8 - Seton Hall, Utah State, Syracuse, Minnesota
9 - Florida, Iowa, Oklahoma, Ohio State
10 - St. Mary's, Central Florida, Washington, VCU
11 - Baylor, Ole Miss, TCU *, Arizona State *
12 - NC State *, Furman *, Oregon, New Mexico State
13 - Liberty, Murray State, UC-Irvine, A-10
14 - Northeastern, Vermont, ODU, Ivy
15 - Montana, Bradley, Colgate, Northern Kentucky
16 - Georgia State, Abilene Christian, North Dakota State, Gardner-Webb
P/I - Fairleigh Dickinson/Iona, NC-Central/Prairie View A+M
This is amazing! Thanks for your work.
Hollisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #262
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 3,336
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Imagine that not even really on the bubble Wonder who has been saying that for weeks
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #263
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,482
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Also, regardless of what conference ranking system you use, when a team gets the top 3 seeds in the Dance, and places another 4 teams in for good measure, that is the best conference.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #264
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,916
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Also, regardless of what conference ranking system you use, when a team gets the top 3 seeds in the Dance, and places another 4 teams in for good measure, that is the best conference.
ACC definitely strongest at the top

Unfortunately the Big 12 is the best overall by every metric I’ve seen

You can’t use in-conference games to support arguments of overall strength. This has been decided since January.
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #265
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,482
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudna View Post

You canít use in-conference games to support arguments of overall strength. This has been decided since January.
Which is exactly why it's a dumb measurement. It literally ignores half the season, which is why I ignore such ratings.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 AM   #266
oudna
All-American
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,916
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Which is exactly why it's a dumb measurement. It literally ignores half the season, which is why I ignore such ratings.
Itís still the only way conferences can be measured against each other
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #267
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,560
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Which is exactly why it's a dumb measurement. It literally ignores half the season, which is why I ignore such ratings.
Really? Because plenty of posters on this board have been ignoring half the season -- the first half -- for weeks, as they insisted incessantly that OU was at risk of not making the tourney.
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #268
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,482
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Really? Because plenty of posters on this board have been ignoring half the season -- the first half -- for weeks, as they insisted incessantly that OU was at risk of not making the tourney.
And we were at risk. Lose to KU? We're right on the bubble. Lose to KU and either one of the TCU or UT games? We're likely out. Most were trying to say we were in for sure at 6-12. I still just don't think that definitely would have been the case. Folks act like we're easily in b/c we're the last 9 seed. Truth is, one or two games could have knocked us out. That's still "bubblish" IMO.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #269
WichitaSooner
Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
And we were at risk. Lose to KU? We're right on the bubble. Lose to KU and either one of the TCU or UT games? We're likely out. Most were trying to say we were in for sure at 6-12. I still just don't think that definitely would have been the case. Folks act like we're easily in b/c we're the last 9 seed. Truth is, one or two games could have knocked us out. That's still "bubblish" IMO.
I'd challenge you to find many, let alone "most," who said we were a lock at 6-12. My personal take was that 6-12 would put us right on the bubble and would leave us dependent on good fortune, i.e., other bubble teams losing a lot down the stretch and no bid thieves. I know NYSooner had the same take when he broke things down. All along, the consensus among those of us who felt good about our chances was that we needed to win 3 of our last five games to be a lock.

But the fact that we made it with several teams behind us on the true seed list indicates that in retrospect, we actually may have made it with one more loss, at least as a First Four team. But as is, we made it with room to spare.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #270
skyvue
Elite Eight
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,560
Default Re: OU and the Bubble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
And we were at risk. Lose to KU? We're right on the bubble. Lose to KU and either one of the TCU or UT games? We're likely out. Most were trying to say we were in for sure at 6-12. I still just don't think that definitely would have been the case. Folks act like we're easily in b/c we're the last 9 seed. Truth is, one or two games could have knocked us out. That's still "bubblish" IMO.
And if I had been starting point guard for this year's squad, we wouldn't have won a single game all season. Luckily, I wasn't, so what's the point of bringing it up?

It's as if you're trying to come up with ways we coulda/shoulda/woulda missed the tourney even after we've made the tourney, just like last year some fans were looking for an "excuse" why we made it ("We only got in because Trae was on the team!") as if to delegitimize our invitation to the tourney after we received it. It's a very strange phenomenon, the rush to discount our team's accomplishment two years in a row.

I think the list of tourney teams that would have missed the tourney if one were to cherry-pick two of their key wins and flip them to losses is probably a long one. Heck, if we had lost to Wofford and Florida, we probably miss the tourney, but so what? We didn't lose to them and we're in.
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com