ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 05-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #26
Soonerbay
Role Player

Default Re: 9 Days and Counting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I don't know how much can be made of player transfers. Transfers are in vogue in all college sports. With the new transfer portal it is going to become more common.

What triggers those transfers could be a myriad of reasons. No question it could be correct to point the finger at Sherri for the transfer of Dungee and Mulkey. Likewise Dungee and Mulkey could be the primary reason they are gone. Might even be another two or three other factors that was the primary driver.

It is wrong for us as fans to jump to conclusions without having all the facts. And for certain none of us do. Speculation and rumors serves no valuable purpose.
To each his own.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #27
tooney
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
I have a different perspective based on years of watching her allow the team to slowly dip from conference winning and FF appearing teams to where they are today; bottom of the conference/NCAA barrel. IMHO...she should have been halted years ago. No one person/coach/player/AD should be bigger than the team as a whole. Worse case scenario...last year should have been the year she made coaching changes BEFORE adding sonny boy to the payroll at a whopping $85K after marrying one of the former players. And as you've stated, there is something VERY wrong when your best recruits pack up to go. But we should have gotten a clue how bad it must be when your former high school player and assistant coach (SHansmeyer) packs up to leave.
I don't think we have a different perspective.....most fans saw this coming a few years back, like you say.

I would have given her another year to get things right a couple of years back. The players transferring are one thing....but players that are going to get significant minutes the next year transferring is not good. It points to problems in coaching and recruiting.....after spending a couple of years recruiting these players and they spend six months on campus and decide to leave????

In short....I agree with you 100%

And turnovers have been a hallmark of SC....I can't remember a team of hers that valued the ball.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #28
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Well JMHO but you are going to have to deal with Sherri for at least another year and most likely 2-3 more years. Joe C. is going to give her adequate time to get the program on solid ground. Like it or not that is not a 1 year journey!

if we have three more seasons similar to this past season without any changes then quite frankly we are going to lose most if not all of our fans, money, good recruits, pretty much everything will go downhill. I cannot fathom winning eight to 10 games the next three years in a row without SC getting canned. I think if we have another season next season similar to this past season, and we have an AD worth a damn, she's gone..She's had plenty of time to rebuild and the fact that she's not bringing in transfers or grad players when everyone else is, and using them to win national titles or at least go deep in the playoffs, it is a very big indicator of an attitude problem that needs to be fixed or all ties need to be severed. Call me selfish but I don't think we should have to wait another four years before we have a decent team again!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #29
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

I too have doubts that Sherri can ever return OU WBB to the levels we experienced 2000-2010. Nor do I expect her to continually win only 8-12 games a season like 2018.

What I see Sherri doing is continuing to winning 16-24 games annually, finishing 3rd-5th in the conference, going to the NCAA tournament most years and making the Sweet 16 a couple times a decade. I don't think Sherri has the ability to again bring in ample talent to replicate the successes she experienced with Stacey Dales, the twins, Abi, Amanda, DRob, etc.

I think it will take another 2-3 years minimum for Sherri to accept the fact she is in over her head and retire. I think Sherri's 15 20 win seasons, 10 regular season/tournament conference championships and 3 Final Fours has earned her the right to fail.

Loyalty is a two way street and I expect OU and Joe C. to be loyal to Sherri. Although I would be thrilled if she retired tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #30
atlantasooner
All-Conference

3 days and counting. No signs that even one player was brought in for a visit.

You're 8-22 and there's not a single JUCO or spring signee that could help a 8-22
roster. Stunning.
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:02 AM   #31
tooney
Starter

I would be surprised if anybody signs with OU.

Sherri isn't going to change her spots ...... I think the last few years have shown ample evidence of this. It's been what??? ...eight years since OU has finished rated in the top 25.

I think she has been given enough time to right the ship.....OU has been loyal to her for long enough. Show substantial improvement or it's time to move on.....
Old 05-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #32
CoachTalk
Final Four

This board is in full meltdown.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #33
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooney View Post
I would be surprised if anybody signs with OU.

Sherri isn't going to change her spots ...... I think the last few years have shown ample evidence of this. It's been what??? ...eight years since OU has finished rated in the top 25.

I think she has been given enough time to right the ship.....OU has been loyal to her for long enough. Show substantial improvement or it's time to move on.....
I agree 💯%
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #34
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasooner View Post
3 days and counting. No signs that even one player was brought in for a visit.

You're 8-22 and there's not a single JUCO or spring signee that could help a 8-22
roster. Stunning.
I'm not surprised. It will be a miracle if they sign anyone, yet miracles do happen. JUCO recruiting relationships are established before they entire JUCO and they tend to consider those programs that have followed them through JUCO. I'd be shocked and amazed if they have any considerations. And if they ever did, it may have been with PDeCosta. Plus, there is that caveat. Who really wants to join a team in their current state? Well, with the exception of players who replicate more or less of what they already have. It's beyond an uphill battle. For whatever reasons...they are willing to risk more of the same defeats from the last few seasons. And at a very high price for very little results.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #35
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
I agree 💯%
Ditto.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #36
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
OU WBB is in full meltdown and has been heading that direction for YEARS. This didn't happen in the last few years. Behaviors relative to the coaching staff have been tolerated for years. Some players worked through it. Others took a hike.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #37
tycat947
Elite Eight

Quote:
Yep.
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #38
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbay View Post
OU WBB is in full meltdown and has been heading that direction for YEARS. This didn't happen in the last few years. Behaviors relative to the coaching staff have been tolerated for years. Some players worked through it. Others took a hike.
You are spot on
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #39
inoref
All-American

I said it for years, things will remain about the same with SC..and took heat for saying it.
I'm just glad to see that many more are seeing it now, as I said for years SC may be a great person but not a good coach. The style of players that SC brings in just isn't going to work anymore. I think it was ISU this year on their forum, during the game their fans were shocked that OU put a product like this on the floor. One of their posters said shocking that OU would have this type of team in any sport...I'm starting to think many of the other team fans are beginning to feel sorry for us..........maybe not
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #40
Soonerbay
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I said it for years, things will remain about the same with SC..and took heat for saying it.
I'm just glad to see that many more are seeing it now, as I said for years SC may be a great person but not a good coach. The style of players that SC brings in just isn't going to work anymore. I think it was ISU this year on their forum, during the game their fans were shocked that OU put a product like this on the floor. One of their posters said shocking that OU would have this type of team in any sport...I'm starting to think many of the other team fans are beginning to feel sorry for us..........maybe not
+1

PS...but that coach in waco and fans ain't feeling no pity on OU. She remembers those days her teams were beat by OU. So she's going to keep her some "big ole post players" (as mulkey put it) on her team.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #41
Mac
Administrator

Amari Carter a 5’8 guard would be a great addition to the team... she’s transferring from Penn St and will most likely be a graduate transfer. With most schools close to being out maybe she will look at OU.... her old coach is now on the staff and she would be a nice floor leader for one year with hope that Sherri can find a four year starter at point in the 2020 class... most of our best teams have had a some of the better scoring point guards in the conference... Dales, Jenna, Drob, and Aaryn.... I think Tatum and Jessi are good players but I’m not sure they can consistently score enough for us to go back to an elite team with either one of them starting at point.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #42
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

A guard? Sherri signs a juco guard? (See other thread?) 🤷🏻*♂️🤦*♂️🤭😳😯🙄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #43
womenssports
Starter

Quote:
For good reason, I just do not understand how it took the past season to get there. The lack of coaching is not new, the program brought in better players that at least got to a one or two game NCAA tournament. I don't care so much about a national title, I just like to see good sound basketball with player progress being made. That has happened in years,,,,the progress part.

turnovers and no defense....a constant for some time.....as are poor fundamentals....as are bad free throw shooters who never improve and I am not talking about team percentage like last year, I am talking about starters in the past who never improved. THEY have been shooting free throws all their lives, if they can't be taught in college then the coaching is lacking

And blaming individual players for being selfish or whatever is ridiculous...…...….not saying that that might not ever be true, but you don't know...……...especially for someone like Pellington who was Freshman of the year and then persona non grata. Her play didn't change as most players don't playing for ou, but she had no one to help her out when she played as she had the year before, as she had always played, you guys want athletes, but we obviously cannot coach athletes...…Pellington, you cannot say was selfish, she has always played this way and it benefited her teams or she would not have been on them...another thing on Sherri, And if I knew colton pushed SP I would be all over it with letters to the university...……..think he would push a white player, but the main issue is he shouldn't push anyone at all and he only had the courage to do so because it was a player that Sherri was down on….Sherri can't or won't, it appears and I have nothing personal against Sherri, I don't know her, I just think she should have been given the option to change her ways or let go several years ago...……….as far as coaching, not saying she could not have been offered a position at which she could have benefited the university, had she wanted..
Old 05-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #44
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenssports View Post
For good reason, I just do not understand how it took the past season to get there. The lack of coaching is not new, the program brought in better players that at least got to a one or two game NCAA tournament. I don't care so much about a national title, I just like to see good sound basketball with player progress being made. That has happened in years,,,,the progress part.

turnovers and no defense....a constant for some time.....as are poor fundamentals....as are bad free throw shooters who never improve and I am not talking about team percentage like last year, I am talking about starters in the past who never improved. THEY have been shooting free throws all their lives, if they can't be taught in college then the coaching is lacking

And blaming individual players for being selfish or whatever is ridiculous...…...….not saying that that might not ever be true, but you don't know...……...especially for someone like Pellington who was Freshman of the year and then persona non grata. Her play didn't change as most players don't playing for ou, but she had no one to help her out when she played as she had the year before, as she had always played, you guys want athletes, but we obviously cannot coach athletes...…Pellington, you cannot say was selfish, she has always played this way and it benefited her teams or she would not have been on them...another thing on Sherri, And if I knew colton pushed SP I would be all over it with letters to the university...……..think he would push a white player, but the main issue is he shouldn't push anyone at all and he only had the courage to do so because it was a player that Sherri was down on….Sherri can't or won't, it appears and I have nothing personal against Sherri, I don't know her, I just think she should have been given the option to change her ways or let go several years ago...……….as far as coaching, not saying she could not have been offered a position at which she could have benefited the university, had she wanted..
You have not a clue as to what was going on behind closed doors. Shaina needed to be out of here. Not necessarily her choice.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #45
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

No one has a clue about what goes on behind closed doors. Just speculation. But someone generally speculates correctly. We just rarily know for certain who that someone is.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #46
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
No one has a clue about what goes on behind closed doors. Just speculation. But someone generally speculates correctly. We just rarily know for certain who that someone is.
Sometimes, a poster may have a special relationship with one or several players.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #47
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Sometimes, a poster may have a special relationship with one or several players.
Having had one of those relation I know that you are still dealing with hearsay and not direct information. Although normally closer to the truth it is far from having all the facts. Hence the speculation.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #48
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Having had one of those relation I know that you are still dealing with hearsay and not direct information. Although normally closer to the truth it is far from having all the facts. Hence the speculation.
If over the years, a poster provides information that time-after-time turns out to be true, you have a tendency to have faith in it, especially if the obvious evidence would fit the story.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:23 AM   #49
womenssports
Starter

Quote:
You have not a clue as to what was going on behind closed doors. Shaina needed to be out of here. Not necessarily her choice.
And you do? So behind closed doors, she didn't share the ball? And I wasn't there and don't claim to know and I imagine the ones that were do not all perceive it the same. No one person is usually totally responsible. Ou had as large, if not larger obligation than she to make it work. ..whether she was on scholarship or not, whether playing a sport or not. That is true of the responsibility of the university to all students. Why do you have to make it personal about some players. ..such as in this instance she didn't share the ball. My statements regarding that I still stand by. Edit: will add she seemed to have fine relationship with other players, in Jan and or Feb. That would seem to tell something.

Last edited by womenssports; 05-14-2019 at 02:25 AM.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:50 AM   #50
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
If over the years, a poster provides information that time-after-time turns out to be true, you have a tendency to have faith in it, especially if the obvious evidence would fit the story.
Hence as you say while you are right from time to time you are wrong or speculative most generally all the time. You have been trying to confirm your positions with isolated incidents forever forgetting the consensus confirms the opposite.