ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 12-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
vbdad
Starter

Default Harmon and Bienemy

I believe they wonít be on the court at the same time until one of them starts making shots. You canít have two perimeter players with no chance of making a shot playing together. They will have to back each other up. If they play like last night neither will have much playing time.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
thebigabd
National Champion

Default Re: Harmon and Bienemy

PG: Harmon
SG: Williams
SG: Reaves
PF: Manek
PF: Doo

That is what I would go with... and let Bienemy come in off the bench until he gets some confidence back. This team has absolutely no depth though.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
tmeyer3307
Role Player

I felt like last night someone just told JB to shoot as many times and try to get out of this slump.. I mean, he's been so bad this year.. He just kept jacking it up. He needs to get to the rim and or just drive to create for others.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
I felt like last night someone just told JB to shoot as many times and try to get out of this slump.. I mean, he's been so bad this year.. He just kept jacking it up. He needs to get to the rim and or just drive to create for others.
He'd go to the rim only to pass out...lose the ball...or get stuck. He did try a few times to take a shot, not a great one, but did take a shot.

I will add I totally agree with your post.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #5
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
PG: Harmon
SG: Williams
SG: Reaves
PF: Manek
PF: Doo

That is what I would go with... and let Bienemy come in off the bench until he gets some confidence back. This team has absolutely no depth though.
I was thinking that last night...Williams need to replace JB put Harmon back at the point.

We'll see if kruger as the nads to do that....I doubt it. He's almost like Bob when it came to starters...once ya earn that ya really have to screw up BAD to be unseated. Just my opinion.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
I was thinking that last night...Williams need to replace JB put Harmon back at the point.

We'll see if kruger as the nads to do that....I doubt it. He's almost like Bob when it came to starters...once ya earn that ya really have to screw up BAD to be unseated. Just my opinion.
He has changed starting lineups several times a year since the FF team. Guys like Muni, RO, Lattin, Reynolds, Calixte, JB, among others, have been in and out of the starting lineup the past couple years. And I think he will do that now.

As for JB -- he has been brutal with his shooting/scoring, no doubt about it. Others may disagree, but I didn't think he took many poor shots last night. The looks he got were open looks, and as much as it hurts when someone misses wide open shots, it would hurt just as much if he refused to shoot. He will either come out of his slump, or his playing time will suffer.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #7
38red
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
I believe they wonít be on the court at the same time until one of them starts making shots. You canít have two perimeter players with no chance of making a shot playing together. They will have to back each other up. If they play like last night neither will have much playing time.
Right now they have the same skill set, good defenders (JB better), good ball handling, average drivers & so far bad shooting.
38red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
MJSooner
Walk-on

Not only are they shooting poorly, they both seem hesitant on the offensive end. Not sure to drive, dish or shoot. I love JB but even with his solid D, he is not adding anything on offense.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
BCSooners
All-American

I agree bienemy & Harmon haven’t played well, especially Bienemy. I just think it’s funny people are writing off Williams the last 2 games & now he has to start.
BCSooners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #10
WTSooner
National Champion

My biggest problem with Bieniemy is that he keeps settling for 3 pointers, even though he isn't making them. WAY too many of his shots, compared to non-3's, are from behind the line. If you are struggling from deep, drive the ball. Create. Distribute. Finish.

JB wasn't a greater shooter as a prospect, yet that is what LK has turned him into. A guy that stands behind the line and fires up 3's.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #11
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
My biggest problem with Bieniemy is that he keeps settling for 3 pointers, even though he isn't making them. WAY too many of his shots, compared to non-3's, are from behind the line. If you are struggling from deep, drive the ball. Create. Distribute. Finish.

JB wasn't a greater shooter as a prospect, yet that is what LK has turned him into. A guy that stands behind the line and fires up 3's.
So from his senior year of high school to his freshman & sophomore years of college LK made Bienemy a completely different player? A coach who allows a ton of freedom is boxing a guy in? I get frustrated with the lack of movement but this is a stretch.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I agree bienemy & Harmon havenít played well, especially Bienemy. I just think itís funny people are writing off Williams the last 2 games & now he has to start.
Well said. It's amazing how fast people's opinions of a player's potential and value change game to game. When a newcomer plays well, people think he should start and could be a difference maker. A couple days later, a poor game means he is unlikely to ever make a significant contribution to the program.

I still think JB does a lot of things that help teams win. The problem is twofold: his shooting has been so bad that it has offset all the good things he does, and the poor shooting from other guards makes it hard to just ride this slump out.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
So from his senior year of high school to his freshman & sophomore years of college LK made Bienemy a completely different player? A coach who allows a ton of freedom is boxing a guy in? I get frustrated with the lack of movement but this is a stretch.
He's allowing it. Call it what you want, but when a kid that was better known at driving the ball in HS becomes dang near entirely a 3 point shooter, and he is shooting 14% from 3, it's a problem.

JB's best two games of the year? The second and third games of the year where he scored a combined 28 points, and only took THREE 3 pointers between the two games. Every game except one since then, he's taken more 3's than 2's, and most of the time by a good margin.

So yes, LK has "made" JB that guy by allowing him to play that way.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
He's allowing it. Call it what you want, but when a kid that was better known at driving the ball in HS becomes dang near entirely a 3 point shooter, and he is shooting 14% from 3, it's a problem.

JB's best two games of the year? The second and third games of the year where he scored a combined 28 points, and only took THREE 3 pointers between the two games. Every game except one since then, he's taken more 3's than 2's, and most of the time by a good margin.

So yes, LK has "made" JB that guy by allowing him to play that way.
Or maybe bienemyís confidence is bad right now. He shot 40% from 3 last year & is only shooting open 3s this year. I think he should be slashing more but heís hesitant in everything heís doing right now. Heís still playing solid defense & moving the ball but heís got to be some sort of threat.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
vbdad
Starter

I like JB and thought for the most part he took good shots. Several times he passed up wide open shots though and when he did shoot it wasn't a confident stroke. He has the ability to shoot but right now he isn't doing it.
Harmon shoots with more confidence but it hasn't worked for him. They both are talented guys who need to play well to win a bunch. However until one or both start shooting better they can't play together IMO.
Doo was essentially receiving a triple team when he caught the ball in the high post. Defenders completely left JB and DH. One guy can be out there playing D and hopefully driving and moving the ball. Just not both at the same time.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
skyvue
Final Four

Harmon is a good reminder that it's never a good idea to count on major contributions from freshmen, no matter how highly rated they are. Some make the adjustment to D1 play right away, but others don't, and it's hard to predict one way or the other.

He'll be good for us in the long run and he's certainly had his moments in the early going, but he hasn't been as good to this point as many of us expected/hoped (and JB's play so far is not what most expected).
Old 12-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #17
Sooner04
All-Conference

If JB is open he's got to shoot. We don't run offense well enough for another clean look to appear. That applies to Harmon as well, but I'm not sure that's his game.

Last edited by Sooner04; 12-19-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling is hard!
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #18
steverocks35
All-American

Now that McNeace is gone I guess JB is the guy whose name will forever be misspelled.... It's B-I-E-N-I-E-M-Y.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #19
sperry
All-American

Williams can't shoot, can't play defense, and is not an intelligent player. No thanks. Just gotta keep getting the young kids reps to develop. Throwing in a mediocre JUCO is nothing but a short term bandaid.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
Jccouger
Walk-on

They both have been awful.

The good news is that Harmon will eventually turn in to a nice player after being here 4 years, where at the start of the year we were considering him going pro after 1.
Jccouger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on

I think too many people were guilty in thinking Bieniemy would have some seismic leap this year; he shot 39% from the floor last year and 63% from the FT line. Yes, he shot 40% from 3, but that was on 27-67, so it wasn't a big sample at all, plus 10 of the 27 came in three games. He had two VERY VERY good games, two good games, a few solid games, and then did a lot of what he's doing this year; shooting very little and making very little. I said a lot last year, when I was overly critical of him, I just don't know how that helps this team, to have a guy out there 27-33 minutes taking five shots or less. And, I think a lot of people were thinking, with the loss of key contributors this year, he would pick up the slack, when, in reality, he does not have the game or mindset to do so.

Aside from the Minnesota and Oregon State game this year, he's doing the same thing he did last year; taking up minutes, shooting little, making little. After 45 college games, he is what he is; and that's a decent backup guard who might have a flash a few times a month, but is simply better served in a limited capacity while spelling better players. What's more so, not only has he not taken a leap this year, but his game/offensive mindset hasn't either, which to me says he's not capable of it. He constantly passes up wide open shots, which is not the right mentality when you need offensive production on a team severely lacking it. Point being, I don't really know why anything would change going forward, if it hasn't yet.

At this point, Williams has a lot more upside and provides a spark, I just don't see that with Bieniemy. We are 4-on-5 offensively when he is out there, and that is the last thing this team needs. Obviously, the argument for Bieniemy is that there isn't a better option, and that may well be the case; it's not like Williams has been great either. But to me, this is not an aberration with Bieniemy, it is what he is. At least if we give Williams the minutes, it's still yet to be determined what he is, especially if he were the one getting the 27-33 mins a night.

Just one guy's opinion.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #22
dksooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Now that McNeace is gone I guess JB is the guy whose name will forever be misspelled.... It's B-I-E-N-I-E-M-Y.
I've seen a bunch of Reeves as well.
dksooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:53 PM   #23
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
I think too many people were guilty in thinking Bieniemy would have some seismic leap this year; he shot 39% from the floor last year and 63% from the FT line. Yes, he shot 40% from 3, but that was on 27-67
I had Bienemy making a seismic leap this year... had him around 10-11ppg... Also, last year he led the team in assists by a large margin. Maybe he is naturally a point guard and the introduction of Harmon has messed with his groove? Who knows.... But I really didn't expect him to struggle like this. He seems like a true freshman again out there.

Quote:
Williams can't shoot, can't play defense, and is not an intelligent player. No thanks. Just gotta keep getting the young kids reps to develop. Throwing in a mediocre JUCO is nothing but a short term bandaid.
Absurd statement.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #24
NY Soonerfan
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
He seems like a true freshman again out there.
I think this is a great take, and a frightening as hell one. He's 45 games in, acting/playing like a freshman should be the last thing we're seeing.
NY Soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #25
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Soonerfan View Post
I think too many people were guilty in thinking Bieniemy would have some seismic leap this year; he shot 39% from the floor last year and 63% from the FT line. Yes, he shot 40% from 3, but that was on 27-67, so it wasn't a big sample at all, plus 10 of the 27 came in three games. He had two VERY VERY good games, two good games, a few solid games, and then did a lot of what he's doing this year; shooting very little and making very little. I said a lot last year, when I was overly critical of him, I just don't know how that helps this team, to have a guy out there 27-33 minutes taking five shots or less. And, I think a lot of people were thinking, with the loss of key contributors this year, he would pick up the slack, when, in reality, he does not have the game or mindset to do so.

Aside from the Minnesota and Oregon State game this year, he's doing the same thing he did last year; taking up minutes, shooting little, making little. After 45 college games, he is what he is; and that's a decent backup guard who might have a flash a few times a month, but is simply better served in a limited capacity while spelling better players. What's more so, not only has he not taken a leap this year, but his game/offensive mindset hasn't either, which to me says he's not capable of it. He constantly passes up wide open shots, which is not the right mentality when you need offensive production on a team severely lacking it. Point being, I don't really know why anything would change going forward, if it hasn't yet.

At this point, Williams has a lot more upside and provides a spark, I just don't see that with Bieniemy. We are 4-on-5 offensively when he is out there, and that is the last thing this team needs. Obviously, the argument for Bieniemy is that there isn't a better option, and that may well be the case; it's not like Williams has been great either. But to me, this is not an aberration with Bieniemy, it is what he is. At least if we give Williams the minutes, it's still yet to be determined what he is, especially if he were the one getting the 27-33 mins a night.

Just one guy's opinion.
I had the same take on Bieniemy last year. Wasn't ever really impressed, and didn't see a very high upside.