ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 12-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #151
inoref
All-American

Default Re: OU vs. WSU

All wins are good all losses are bad
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #152
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
Can't wait for the, "But it was a road game!" and "But we played hard!" takes.
now listen ... you told me to respect how you process a loss. and that's fine. I have. But you must do the same. you just keep moaning and complaining and I will process it my own way.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #153
steverocks35
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
now listen ... you told me to respect how you process a loss. and that's fine. I have. But you must do the same. you just keep moaning and complaining and I will process it my own way.
I didn't tell you that, you must have me confused with someone else, but okay, fair enough.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #154
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
We have little to no presence inside. It boggles the mind that we can never have any strength or toughness down low.
We don't recruit basketball players down low. We recruit athletes in search of "rim protection", which is the most overrated aspect of defensive basketball. Couple that with our inability to develop anything that remotely resembles an inside presence and you get a result like today (-17 on the boards).

We can scheme around it most nights, but it's hard to win on the road, especially in conference play, when you get smoked on the boards.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:48 PM   #155
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
We don't recruit basketball players down low. We recruit athletes in search of "rim protection", which is the most overrated aspect of defensive basketball. Couple that with our inability to develop anything that remotely resembles an inside presence and you get a result like today (-17 on the boards).

We can scheme around it most nights, but it's hard to win on the road, especially in conference play, when you get smoked on the boards.
YES!!!!!

We recruit far too many athletes with limited skill sets. Those guys are all fine and dandy if you have guys that can actually play. But we have too many of them. We haven't been a good rebounding team in a number of years.

And Bieniemy. My goodness. smh
Old 12-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #156
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
YES!!!!!

We recruit far too many athletes with limited skill sets. Those guys are all fine and dandy if you have guys that can actually play. But we have too many of them. We haven't been a good rebounding team in a number of years.

That's an excellent point. It's all well and good to have athletes right and left ... but inside presence still matters. I actually thought Brady was doing a pretty good job. But we're really hurting in the paint.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #157
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
This is going to be a theme all year... They will lose games when they can't rebound. I wouldn't have expected a small WSU team to beat OU that bad on the glass, but it is OUs achilles heel.

Trey Wade had 15 rebounds for them and he is 6'6''.... OU just doesn't have anyone who can control the glass, and hasn't since Spangler.
Not sure I'd label them small. They have four guys they rotate at the five who have very good size, and rebounding is basically the foundation of their program. They got destroyed on the glass against West Virginia but have dominated us and OSU since. That said, it was painful to watch in person tonight. We might have made a conscious decision not to go for offensive boards in order to eliminate transition offense for them, but our defensive rebounding was inexcusable.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:34 AM   #158
inoref
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
This is going to be a theme all year... They will lose games when they can't rebound. I wouldn't have expected a small WSU team to beat OU that bad on the glass, but it is OUs achilles heel.

Trey Wade had 15 rebounds for them and he is 6'6''.... OU just doesn't have anyone who can control the glass, and hasn't since Spangler.
I thought OU was the smaller team
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #159
SoonerWarVet
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollisp View Post
Wait wait wait

What’s the story with Marshall’s daughter?

I missed that!
Supposedly (and it's a pretty strong rumor) Reaves was caught in bed with Marshall's daughter, or something to that effect. Though, it's fairly common knowledge that Marshall's daughter has made the rounds with WSU basketball players...tons of them. Markus McDuffie was one of them.

You know, I was at Allen Field House for the 3 OT thriller and not once did a KU fan tell me to sit down and shut up. Not once. This is now two OU vs. WSU games in a row at Intrust where multiple WSU fans have told me to sit down and shut up. Last time, after Trae had drilled one of his multiple threes. This time, I kind of got tired of them booing Reaves, so after he made a three in the 2nd half I stood up and clapped and yelled "Go Austin". In that instance, the man in front of me turned around and told me to be quiet because I was hurting his wife's ears. It's not like just prior to that and just after that, the crowd was so loud that my ears were ringing. As a graduate of WSU, I am honestly ashamed of the fan base. For a split second, I was telling myself I would never go back. However, I'll be there in two years cheering for OU just as loud if no louder. Screw WSU. I was very gracious leaving Intrust two years ago, unlike WSU fans leaving Chesapeake the year prior. In two years when OU wins, I won't be as quiet leaving that arena. You'll probably hear me yelling "Boomer" all the way to the car.

BOOMER!!
SoonerWarVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #160
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I thought OU was the smaller team
We were
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #161
NickZepp
National Champion

We aren't really small. We just have a lot of guys that are around 6-6 to 6-9 or so.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #162
WTSooner
National Champion

How big is the WSU kid that grabbed 15 boards? 6'6, right? Not exactly big.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #163
BCSooners
All-American

That was WSU’s championship game. Doolittle needed to have 30 with the massive mismatch he had. Reaves & Bienemy were bad, bench needed more time. Not too worried about this game, feel like OU would beat them by 10+ later in the year.
BCSooners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #164
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
That was WSU’s championship game. Doolittle needed to have 30 with the massive mismatch he had. Reaves & Bienemy were bad, bench needed more time. Not too worried about this game, feel like OU would beat them by 10+ later in the year.
I like your optimism. I don't know that I'd go quite that far ... WSU has several newcomers, too, and I think they'll also get better. Seem like two fairly evenly matched teams although I would give us a slight edge over the course of the season. I really think the game came down to one thing, and that is rebounding. But JB absolutely needs to snap out of his funk. I wasn't surprised Reaves struggled offensively. Wish he wouldn't have forced a couple shots in the second half but I guess that's to be expected given the circumstances.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #165
steverocks35
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I like your optimism. I don't know that I'd go quite that far ... WSU has several newcomers, too, and I think they'll also get better. Seem like two fairly evenly matched teams although I would give us a slight edge over the course of the season. I really think the game came down to one thing, and that is rebounding. But JB absolutely needs to snap out of his funk. I wasn't surprised Reaves struggled offensively. Wish he wouldn't have forced a couple shots in the second half but I guess that's to be expected given the circumstances.
I wouldn't be concerned at all if this was an outlier performance, but we've been trending this way for several games now. North Texas also outrebounded us and it took a great performance by Doolittle to keep us from having an embarrassing loss on our resume.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #166
CMSOONER
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
YES!!!!!

I believe everyone thought that Kuath was going to be the inside presence we needed this year which would have afforded Garang and Issanza the ability to be the athletic projects they were brought in to be. But Kuath hasn't lived up to that yet, and didn't even set foot on the floor against WSU. Which has thrown Vic into more of a role than he would have ultimately had as a Freshman.

Bieniemy is in his own head. You can see it with every missed shot. Head goes down in disappointment and heads back on defense.

Last edited by CMSOONER; 12-16-2019 at 11:13 AM.
CMSOONER is online now   Reply With Quote