ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 12-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
pnkranger
All-Conference

Default Three Point Shooting

I think our slow starts have quite a bit to do with the fact that we have a number of guys who are good shooters that are not shooting well right now.

Brady Manek
Sophomore 36%
Junior 33%

Austin Reaves
Sophomore 43%
Junior 32%

Jamal Bienemy
Freshman 40%
Sophomore 17%

Alondes Williams and Devion Harmon are also shooting below an expected average based on form and the types of shots they're taking. When you miss shots early that you are used to taking, it has a huge effect on your whole game plan.

I think we will return to mean at some point in terms of shooting (especially Reaves and Bienemy) ... but I would like to see us work the ball inside early in games to open up those shots and get some confidence for our guys.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
daqman
Role Player

Default Re: Three Point Shooting

Over all 3pt shooting hasn't been bad. First half 3pt shooting has been absolutely horrible. 0% against W&M.
22 against MES. 23% UNT.
In our one loss it was bad the entire game.

Last edited by daqman; 12-06-2019 at 11:49 AM.
daqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
coolm
National Champion

playing so many neutral site or road games tends to keep the numbers down. I can understand your concern, but IMO it's all about the defense. We have to learn to bear down defensively when those shots don't drop so the runouts increase.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
CoachTalk
National Champion

Jamal was one of my favorite players last year. He has to get going for us.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
daqman
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
playing so many neutral site or road games tends to keep the numbers down. I can understand your concern, but IMO it's all about the defense. We have to learn to bear down defensively when those shots don't drop so the runouts increase.
Sorry excuse.
UTSA 5-25
W&M 3-18
MES 4-16
UNT 3-13 (first half)
All at home.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

I think a lot of it is shot selection. I can almost tell every time Manek is going to make or miss by his rhythm and body position. Also if you watch Bieniemy, when he shoots with the flow of the game he usually hits them. When he has to think before he shoots he usually misses them.

Kruger's tendency is to give his players a lot of shooting freedom. That has mixed results. On one hand they feel comfortable about shooting and comfort is important. You have a hard time being relaxed if someone like Kelvin may break your arm for shooting. (Actually I am a Kelvin supporter.)

One the other hand the players often try to do too much and are too anxious to get a shot off.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
oudna
All-American

It will improve.
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
Swans
Role Player

UNT hits 19 of 35 threes yesterday in rout of UALR.
Swans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #9
MisterF
Walk-on

New three point distance may be a factor.
MisterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
Sorry excuse.
UTSA 5-25
W&M 3-18
MES 4-16
UNT 3-13 (first half)
All at home.
ummm UNT was on the ROAD
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
oudna
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF View Post
New three point distance may be a factor.
Excellent point

Are numbers nationwide down?
oudna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
daqman
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
ummm UNT was on the ROAD
That is correct. Still a terrible excuse.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
coolm
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daqman View Post
That is correct. Still a terrible excuse.
no, it's not a terrible excuse. it is a perfectly justifiable reason. in fact, I can show it to you mathematically or in physics. And there are many other such reasons that I can also show you that are likewise very possible.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

All together now: "small sample size." We are only eight games in, which is early enough that one or two horrible games (or great games, for that matter) can significantly skew stats. I have never thought this will be a great three-point shooting team, but I also don't think we are going to end up at 31% for the season.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #15
daqman
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
no, it's not a terrible excuse. it is a perfectly justifiable reason. in fact, I can show it to you mathematically or in physics. And there are many other such reasons that I can also show you that are likewise very possible.
That would certainly provide the board with entertainment on a slow day.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #16
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

guess...my personal belief is to work inside - out. Rather see us attack the rim by either really focusing on some post offense or driving at first.

It's just natural with shot %. Yeah shoot 30 3's ya prob make about 10...great 30 pts but just rather see anyone work inside - out.

There is a reason 3 pt % isn't above 35%...(high was 38% in 1987)
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #17
Swans
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
guess...my personal belief is to work inside - out. Rather see us attack the rim by either really focusing on some post offense or driving at first.

It's just natural with shot %. Yeah shoot 30 3's ya prob make about 10...great 30 pts but just rather see anyone work inside - out.

Itís not as if we donít have the guys that can do this either. Doo, Reaves, Williams and Harmon can all get into the lane.
Swans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #18
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swans View Post
Itís not as if we donít have the guys that can do this either. Doo, Reaves, Williams and Harmon can all get into the lane.
And they have -- it's not like we are relying on threes. We have shot a lot fewer threes than our opponents. We haven't shot the three well, but I don't feel like we are taking bad shots.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #19
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post

I agree with this. It seems like in the first halves of many games they fall into their rut where they just stand around and take jump shots. Then when they finally start to move it a bit which includes mainly getting an inside-out thing going we always seem to be more successful. No excuse to ever just stand around and take jump shots. Move the stinkin ball and get it inside! Opens everything up..
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #20
daqman
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
And they have -- it's not like we are relying on threes. We have shot a lot fewer threes than our opponents. We haven't shot the three well, but I don't feel like we are taking bad shots.
We do rely on 3's too much at the beginning of games. They don't fall, and we fall behind. Every game.

I'm with SIKC. Start out games driving or Doo shooting midrange. Then shoot 3's. But make sure they're good/open shots.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Was at both Stanford and mu games....and Iíve watched all the others minus w/m.

Thankfully manek hit his first 4 shots ALL 3ís in the first 5 min of the game..... Stanford that didnít happen.

Hell, watched the unt game and saw lots of possessions where we had 4 out even 5 out and just stood there.

I agree we got guys that can drive, Doo can do some damage in the post ....thatís why I said Iíd like to see that at first.

Again just my 2 cents... and I know, Iím just a guy who post here so save all the arguing about it.

Have a great day... big game sat vs shockers. Wish wife wasnít having knee surgery or Iíd run down to game, see folks.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #22
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I donít think weíve taken ďbadĒ 3ís...just maybe settled for a 3 rather than trying to establish an inside game first. As I said there is a reason 3pt % isnít above 35% as an avg.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #23
MJSooner
Walk-on

Compare that trio to the trios in the past. We were spoiled by the likes of Cousins/Woodard /Buddy shooting threes and their %. I would take one guy that could hit the three like that.

New distance has to be somewhat of a factor. My biggest disappointment is missing the wide-open look. At times, they seem hesitant to shoot it and you know it throws the shot off. No reason an outside shooter like anyone of those three shouldn't be hitting at least 35%.

Last edited by MJSooner; 12-11-2019 at 12:06 PM.
MJSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #24
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJSooner View Post
Compare that trio to the trios in the past. We were spoiled by the likes of Cousins/Woodard /Buddy shooting threes and their %. I would take one guy that could hit the three like that.

New distance has to be somewhat of a factor. My biggest disappointment is missing the wide-open look. At times, they seem hesitant to shoot it and you know it throws the shot off. No reason an outside shooter like anyone of those three shouldn't be hitting at least 35%.
Then you should be happy because we have one.

I get it, most of you have only seen eight games of Reaves and he hasn't shot great from 3 so far this season. Is anyone going to suggest that the three guys you mention above didn't have stretches that long (or longer) where their shot was a bit off? Woodard struggled for a lot of his sophomore season. Cousins had a pretty bad slump his senior year. Buddy was a terrible shooter as a freshman and wasn't a great shooter till his last season. Bottom line, NONE of the guys you mention had a track record as good as Reaves as a shooter through two seasons. If anything, the fact that Reaves is scoring so well despite not shooting well is a good sign, because at some point, those shots will start falling. I don't think he will shoot as high a percentage as he did at WSU because he has the freedom to take more (and tougher) shots under Lon, but he isn't going to continue missing open looks.