ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2022, 09:04 PM   #101
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,969
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Great effort by the team tonight! Arguably the closest anyone has played baylor since before Gonzaga last year. And it was in Waco. Moser is going to take us to heights unseen. A natty is en route.
Iím as bullish as anyone on Moser but we have played tons of close games in Lawrence and Waco and other tough places against great teams. Heck, we had a shot in the air at the buzzer to beat (or maybe tie) Baylor at their place two years ago. But actually winning one is the step we have to take. This game actually reminded me a lot of some of the close but no cigar games under Lon. Competed our butts off but got killed on the glass and couldnít get enough loose balls. But I absolutely agree that big things are on the horizon.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:05 PM   #102
TheMont
Role Player
 
TheMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 825
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Nothing to hang our heads about regarding our effort. The ball and players were moving on offense, and it was the smoothest it’s looked all season. Remember, a top 5 Villanova team only managed 38 points in Waco.

The game was lost because of the rebounding margin. Second chance points were 18-0. They didn’t miss very often but when they did, we REALLY struggled to grab the board. I know Baylor is incredibly long and athletic, but I didn’t expect the rebounding discrepancy to be that large because rebounding has been a strength of this sooner team this far.

Lets get ‘em in Norman!
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:19 PM   #103
AZOUFAN
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
If Mo pumps there, he could've drawn a foul. But that's easy to say in slow motion.
He has utilized the pump fake really well so far this season. That block Mayar made on him and then finishing it off with an acrobatic lay-up was also another huge play for them. Nevertheless, an impressive effort against the top-ranked team in the country.

Last edited by AZOUFAN; 01-04-2022 at 09:22 PM.
AZOUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:44 PM   #104
TINY
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,438
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Iím as bullish as anyone on Moser but we have played tons of close games in Lawrence and Waco and other tough places against great teams. Heck, we had a shot in the air at the buzzer to beat (or maybe tie) Baylor at their place two years ago. But actually winning one is the step we have to take. This game actually reminded me a lot of some of the close but no cigar games under Lon. Competed our butts off but got killed on the glass and couldnít get enough loose balls. But I absolutely agree that big things are on the horizon.
Lon is a GOAT and he had us right on the precipice several times. It was a helluva run under Lon.

I trust those wins are coming. Moser faced insane adversity upon arrival not dissimilar to what BV is currently facing in football. He cobbled this team together in a matter of months and after most good players had signed. To think they just went toe to toe with baylor in Waco is surpasses all my expectations from April 2021. He has already landed some more really quality recruits which should only continue/improve. We are so lucky to have him (and Joe C).
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:27 PM   #105
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,969
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Lon is a GOAT and he had us right on the precipice several times. It was a helluva run under Lon.

I trust those wins are coming. Moser faced insane adversity upon arrival not dissimilar to what BV is currently facing in football. He cobbled this team together in a matter of months and after most good players had signed. To think they just went toe to toe with baylor in Waco is surpasses all my expectations from April 2021. He has already landed some more really quality recruits which should only continue/improve. We are so lucky to have him (and Joe C).
Agree all the way around! If the offense can operate at anything close to that level on a consistent basis, we will win a lot of games. Still need to clean up the turnovers; if we do that, and play our normal defense, we will be dangerous.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:12 AM   #106
Eielson
All-American
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,642
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
Great effort by the team tonight! Arguably the closest anyone has played baylor since before Gonzaga last year. And it was in Waco. Moser is going to take us to heights unseen. A natty is en route.
I'd actually think this was closer than the Zags game.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:41 AM   #107
pnkranger
All-American
 
pnkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Iowa State gave them a pretty good run in game 1.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:20 AM   #108
Zimwillett
Role Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 755
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

I'm not much for moral victories, but I think this team showed that it can definitely compete at the highest levels. General lack of size and athleticism in the post was a known weakness coming into the season so it's not really a surprise to me that the rebounding is what sunk them last night. The problem I had was when OU did have critical opportunities to squeeze rebounds or win 50/50 balls and just didn't get it done. If you have any designs on upsetting the #1 ranked defending national champs at their place, you can't let those opportunities go to waste.

But I remain very encouraged. I think this team is going to get some big upsets this season.
Zimwillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #109
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,110
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Starting to see more of the offense that I expected or hoped for. Some more sets, and more plays to get guys open looks. I like it. Talent is what it is right now. That will have to improve, but I like seeing this team fight and claw, and win the games they should.

Still think Noland needs more minutes. He is probably the most natural scorer on the team.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #110
pnkranger
All-American
 
pnkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Starting to see more of the offense that I expected or hoped for. Some more sets, and more plays to get guys open looks. I like it. Talent is what it is right now. That will have to improve, but I like seeing this team fight and claw, and win the games they should.

Still think Noland needs more minutes. He is probably the most natural scorer on the team.
Cortes, Noland, and Tanner Groves are the three most natural offensive players on the court.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #111
pnkranger
All-American
 
pnkranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Here's where I'm at on that game: If Baylor had played badly, and we lost by 10, I would be pretty upset. That was one of the best games Baylor has played in their 20 game winning streak offensively. We stuck with them in every facet of the game except rebounding.

They're MUCH longer than we are, and that was the difference last night. That's a razor thin margin. We can compete with them on any given night. If we play like we did last night consistently, we're going to be happy come tournament time.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #112
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 15,622
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Here's where I'm at on that game: If Baylor had played badly, and we lost by 10, I would be pretty upset. That was one of the best games Baylor has played in their 20 game winning streak offensively. We stuck with them in every facet of the game except rebounding.

They're MUCH longer than we are, and that was the difference last night. That's a razor thin margin. We can compete with them on any given night. If we play like we did last night consistently, we're going to be happy come tournament time.
Agreed. I watched most of the KU-OSU game last night. KU is not nearly as good as Baylor. If OU plays equally as well against the Jayhawks, weíll snap our losing streak in the Phog.
AdaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #113
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,969
Default Re: OU @ Baylor 6pm CST on ESPN2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
Here's where I'm at on that game: If Baylor had played badly, and we lost by 10, I would be pretty upset. That was one of the best games Baylor has played in their 20 game winning streak offensively. We stuck with them in every facet of the game except rebounding.

They're MUCH longer than we are, and that was the difference last night. That's a razor thin margin. We can compete with them on any given night. If we play like we did last night consistently, we're going to be happy come tournament time.
I largely agree, with one caveat: Baylor turned it over a ton last night, far more than usual. So while they definitely shot well, Iím sure they also feel like they have a lot of room for improvement from that standpoint.

I knew we would likely get beat on the boards. They are a great rebounding team and have a big size advantage. But I didnít think it would be that lopsided. And as others have said, the inability to grab more of the 50-50 balls really hurt. Fran was spot-on in pointing out the play early in the second half when Goldwire reached down to try to grab a loose ball rather than diving. Our talent doesnít match up to a lot of teams, so we need to play balls to the wall to beat teams like that.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com