ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #76
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
so you admit they are compensated, therefore its a job?
lol
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #77
skyvue
National Champion

Quote:
Then also get rid of multi-million dollar coaching contracts and billion dollar tv deals.
I'd be very happy to see collegiate sports scaled back. Football, especially, is currently in an "arms race" that serves no one except those whose salaries keep climbing -- and the athletes who benefit, and greatly so, from unending facilities upgrades.

The notion that OU football will soon have 20 "analysts" in addition to its coaching staff is absurd. I understand that, as long as other programs are doing it, so we will/must we, but I'd be fine with the NCAA passing rules limiting staff size.

Imagine if every school was limited to just a coaching staff (like the good old days of, what, five or six years ago?) and the money saved was funneled into the lesser sports or, even back to the university itself. Those athletes who actually excelled on the field could sign on for endorsement deals, as Caleb Williams did with Schwab meats, the non-stars could, in addition to their educations and training, receive a reasonably generous stipend and the rest of the money could go to benefit the university at large. Any athlete who felt they were getting a raw deal because of the above could just go pro and take his chances -- like the rest of us do in our careers.

It's buying players, as texas is doing, that most object to. The school should have nothing to do with the NIL deals except to police them to make sure they are abiding by whatever rules are in place (assuming any are ever put in place).
Old 01-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #78
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
What about coaches? We need to crack down on recruiting coaches under contract at schools. Should they have to sit out if they leave for another school before their contract is up? or are you just ok with everyone but the labor making money on this deal?
Coaches have buyouts, they can also get fired.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:21 PM   #79
tooney
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
The NCAA royally f'd this up with no plan whatsoever. Things should settle down when they finally decide to do something, but with them they'll probably screw that up as well.
I don't know why everyone blames the NCAA.....wasn't this a scotus ruling?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/06/29/bu...animous-ruling
Old 01-10-2022, 09:25 PM   #80
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooney View Post
I don't know why everyone blames the NCAA.....wasn't this a scotus ruling?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/06/29/bu...animous-ruling
It was inevitable that it was going to happen & the NCAA had no plans in place to keep it from turning into the Wild West.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:29 AM   #81
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
It was inevitable that it was going to happen & the NCAA had no plans in place to keep it from turning into the Wild West.
It was the wild west before when it was all done under the table. Now it's just all out in the open.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:38 AM   #82
Darwin
Starter

Just chaos related, not just NIL
Easy things that the NCAA can do for all sports:
1.. Move early signing to mid October or earlier.
2.. Players that sign or enroll will not be eligible elsewhere till their 2nd season.
3.. No intra-conference transfers without sitting out a year.

Hard things include anything requiring enforcement; IMO waste of time to list these measures, based on a long history.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #83
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
It was the wild west before when it was all done under the table. Now it's just all out in the open.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Again, I'm not really talking about the money. I'm talking about the transfers, and the recruiting of current players using NIL, playing time, etc. while the season is ongoing.