ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #51
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
This isn't true. Yes, the bigger schools were paying players already under the table. But if you don't think now it will be 10 fold the $$$ you are kidding yourself.

The difference in haves and have nots will only continue to grow
That was already happening though. The "haves" have better facilites, pay coaches more, have better support staffs, etc. Just admit you are mad because the labor is finally getting a cut.
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird


Last edited by Max Power; 01-10-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:34 AM   #52
inoref
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,897
Default Re: Nil

This generation is different, they will not put with as much crap as the last generation and one before that. They want what they feel is theirs and want it now, they want fair play for everyone and want it now, they are fed up with being treated different because of race, sex, ect..Past generations would carry signs and scream for change...this generation will burn and destroy,,not saying they are right to do so but it is what it is.
Anyway back to basketball, that was a great win for the Sooners Saturday..This team could make a Sweet 16 run
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:41 AM   #53
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,083
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
That was already happening though. The "haves" have better facilites, pay coaches more, have better support staffs, etc. Just admit you are mad because the labor is finally getting a cut.
And the "haves" will now be less and the "have nots" will now be more.

Yes, I don't think college kids should be getting paid six figures. They aren't amateurs anymore and you can already see where this is going. I'm not a fan. It is getting less and less about the sport and education and more and more about money. To me, that isn't a good thing...especially for 18-22 year olds.
I enjoy college sports for what it is...kids that are attending college competing for their school. The sense of representation and pride for wearing the name on the jersey.

I just don't like it and my investment in the sport will be dwindling more so than it already has been.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #54
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Nil

The NCAA royally f'd this up with no plan whatsoever. Things should settle down when they finally decide to do something, but with them they'll probably screw that up as well.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:24 AM   #55
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,994
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
The NCAA royally f'd this up with no plan whatsoever. Things should settle down when they finally decide to do something, but with them they'll probably screw that up as well.
what do you want them to do??

they have no ability to cap pay in any way ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:27 AM   #56
scrybe
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,421
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
And the "haves" will now be less and the "have nots" will now be more.

Yes, I don't think college kids should be getting paid six figures. They aren't amateurs anymore and you can already see where this is going. I'm not a fan. It is getting less and less about the sport and education and more and more about money. To me, that isn't a good thing...especially for 18-22 year olds.
I enjoy college sports for what it is...kids that are attending college competing for their school. The sense of representation and pride for wearing the name on the jersey.

I just don't like it and my investment in the sport will be dwindling more so than it already has been.
You and I are in complete agreement. Then again, we're obviously dinosaurs and our kind are well on our way to becoming extinct.
__________________
Sent from my MacMini using my left index finger.
scrybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:28 AM   #57
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,083
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
what do you want them to do??

they have no ability to cap pay in any way ..
Sure they do.
They have the ability to consider an athlete ineligible for other reasons (amateur status, academic status, drug tests,etc). I fail to see how saying if you make $xx of NIL, you are ineligible
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #58
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,994
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Sure they do.
They have the ability to consider an athlete ineligible for other reasons (amateur status, academic status, drug tests,etc). I fail to see how saying if you make $xx of NIL, you are ineligible
they have lost in court trying to cap pay and benefits on more then one occasions now ..

once they allowed NIL they can not cap it ... they would lose in court ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:05 PM   #59
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

So its ok Lon Kruger bolts UNLV for OU, Porter Moser Bolts Loyola Chicago for OU, Lincoln Riley bolts OU for USC, Brian Kelly bolts Notre Dame for LSU, all in the name of more money, the NCAA can make a Billion a year off the Tournament, but the second the kids want some money it's all evil?
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #60
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,083
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
they have lost in court trying to cap pay and benefits on more then one occasions now ..

once they allowed NIL they can not cap it ... they would lose in court ..
for now.
I think that will change

And if it doesn't, there just needs to be a separte league created that doesn't involve school
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #61
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,994
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
for now.
I think that will change

And if it doesn't, there just needs to be a separte league created that doesn't involve school
it will only change with federal legislation and i hope that it does ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:29 PM   #62
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
what do you want them to do??

they have no ability to cap pay in any way ..
2 things they could do:

1) 1 free transfer, automatic sit no matter what (except medical redshirt).

2) crack down on in-season recruiting. Guys are openly talking to players about NIL or transferring while they are playing or enrolled at another school.

I’m more worried about the transfer situation rather than kids making money.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:39 PM   #63
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
2 things they could do:

1) 1 free transfer, automatic sit no matter what (except medical redshirt).

2) crack down on in-season recruiting. Guys are openly talking to players about NIL or transferring while they are playing or enrolled at another school.

I’m more worried about the transfer situation rather than kids making money.
What about coaches? We need to crack down on recruiting coaches under contract at schools. Should they have to sit out if they leave for another school before their contract is up? or are you just ok with everyone but the labor making money on this deal?
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird


Last edited by Max Power; 01-10-2022 at 02:55 PM.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:06 PM   #64
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,113
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
So its ok Lon Kruger bolts UNLV for OU, Porter Moser Bolts Loyola Chicago for OU, Lincoln Riley bolts OU for USC, Brian Kelly bolts Notre Dame for LSU, all in the name of more money, the NCAA can make a Billion a year off the Tournament, but the second the kids want some money it's all evil?
Yes. For two reasons:

1. Those coaches aren't amateurs. That is their job, to coach. They have a contract.

2. Most of the ones that "bolt", the school they are leaving is getting financial compensation in the way of a contract buy out. That doesn't happen when a player leaves.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998

Last edited by WTSooner; 01-11-2022 at 11:22 AM.
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #65
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Yes. For two reasons:

1. Those coaches aren't amateurs. That is there job, to coach. They have a contract.

2. Most of the ones that "bolt", the school they are leaving is getting financial compensation in the way of a contract buy out. That doesn't happen when a player leaves.
and the players job is to play so that the schools can make money. It's a job, not amateurism. And the fact that the ncaa keeps losing court cases proves that
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #66
skyvue
National Champion
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,169
Default Re: Nil

Coaches and players are by no means a one-to-one comparison. Many players are minors; coaches are adults, most with families to support (a few players have families to support, but relatively few). Coaches have begun their careers; players are students (though for how much longer, I wouldn't begin to guess).

If the players want to begin their careers, let them have at it, but not while they're purportedly amateur athletes and students.

I'm fine with a generous stipend, but it should go to every scholarship player on the team.

If we must have endorsements and the like, they should be carefully policed. No negotiations prior to a player signing with (or transferring to) a school, and if it's found some early deal-making occurred, the payer should be banned from being a booster and from making a deal with any other player, and the player in question should lose a year of eligibility.

The very idea that texas can put together a pay package for offensive lineman is absurd. That's not remotely what the NIL ruling addressed, and if we continue down that path, college athletics will be unrecognizable in short order, even more than they already are.

Heck, top college athletes have it better than professional athletes at this stage. Much more freedom to move about and fewer regulations on how much they can make. One need only look at the Ewers situation: He reportedly got a million dollars at tOSU before he ever played a down there, and then when he couldn't crack the top 3 in the lineup, he scurried off to texas, where another pot o' gold awaited. That is simply untenable.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #67
snydrosooner
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 482
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
what do you want them to do??

they have no ability to cap pay in any way ..
I think they have to get the schools out of the process. NIL is for the athletes, schools are making money off of it. I have no problem with a player wearing team merh for an add, but teams should not be arranging the NIL for kids such as Texas with the offensive lineman.
snydrosooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #68
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Coaches and players are by no means a one-to-one comparison. Many players are minors; coaches are adults, most with families to support (a few players have families to support, but relatively few). Coaches have begun their careers; players are students (though for how much longer, I wouldn't begin to guess).

If the players want to begin their careers, let them have at it, but not while they're purportedly amateur athletes and students.

I'm fine with a generous stipend, but it should go to every scholarship player on the team.

If we must have endorsements and the like, they should be carefully policed. No negotiations prior to a player signing with (or transferring to) a school, and if it's found some early deal-making occurred, the payer should be banned from being a booster and from making a deal with any other player, and the player in question should lose a year of eligibility.

The very idea that texas can put together a pay package for offensive lineman is absurd. That's not remotely what the NIL ruling addressed, and if we continue down that path, college athletics will be unrecognizable in short order, even more than they already are.

Heck, top college athletes have it better than professional athletes at this stage. Much more freedom to move about and fewer regulations on how much they can make. One need only look at the Ewers situation: He reportedly got a million dollars at tOSU before he ever played a down there, and then when he couldn't crack the top 3 in the lineup, he scurried off to texas, where another pot o' gold awaited. That is simply untenable.
and how does any of ewers money cause you harm? Jealousy because someone feels he's worth it and you aren't? Or becuase OU wasn't the highest bidder? And do you make the same amount as everyone in your office? For years everyone has claimed a scholarship is pay. If that is the case then they have always been employees and not armatures. now the pay scale is changing. Now these employees have the ability to go out and market themselves and their skills. the are monetarily worth what someone deems them worth. Just like you to your boss.
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #69
skyvue
National Champion
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,169
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
and the players job is to play so that the schools can make money. It's a job, not amateurism. And the fact that the ncaa keeps losing court cases proves that
It is amateurism, actually. They are compensated with an education, which is no small thing in today's world. If they want to be professionals, they should be allowed to -- but outside the realm of collegiate athletics.

I'm not saying there's not room for changes that benefit athletes, but it's not a job. The student benefits in that he receives an education AND he receives training and experience that will benefit him greatly when he does begin his career. If he's convinced he doesn't need that training and experience, he should be able to go pro immediately. That's what needs changing (though again, I'm not averse to some changes on the college level).

By the way, all that money the schools take in goes right back into the improvements that benefit the athletes. This notion that the school at large benefits from the sweat and toil of the athletes is a bit overblown. Do some wealthy folks also contribute to the school because they love OU sports? One hopes (and it probably does happen in some instances), but the vast majority of money brought in by sports goes right back into the athletic department and benefits the athletes--in some ways directly and some ways indirectly.

I look forward to the day that someone insists the young men and women in the theatre department should be paid because their acclaimed production of Hamlet inspired a couple of rich theatre buffs to contribute sizable funds to the theatre department, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #70
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,975
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Yes. For two reasons:

1. Those coaches aren't amateurs. That is there job, to coach. They have a contract.

2. Most of the ones that "bolt", the school they are leaving is getting financial compensation in the way of a contract buy out. That doesn't happen when a player leaves.
Lol the players aren’t amateurs either. Just because that’s what the NCAA labels them doesn’t make it so.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:32 PM   #71
skyvue
National Champion
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,169
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
and how does any of ewers money cause you harm? Jealousy because someone feels he's worth it and you aren't? Or becuase OU wasn't the highest bidder? And do you make the same amount as everyone in your office? For years everyone has claimed a scholarship is pay. If that is the case then they have always been employees and not armatures. now the pay scale is changing. Now these employees have the ability to go out and market themselves and their skills. the are monetarily worth what someone deems them worth. Just like you to your boss.
Then by all means, let them just begin the careers. Let them go pro, right out of high school, if they wish. I'm all for it.

College athletics should be conducted on a amateur basis, and if that means the top 10% of players go pro, so be it. Good luck to them.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #72
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
It is amateurism, actually. They are compensated with an education, which is no small thing in today's world. If they want to be professionals, they should be allowed to -- but outside the realm of collegiate athletics.

I'm not saying there's not room for changes that benefit athletes, but it's not a job. The student benefits in that he receives an education AND he receives training and experience that will benefit him greatly when he does begin his career. If he's convinced he doesn't need that training and experience, he should be able to go pro immediately. That's what needs changing (though again, I'm not averse to some changes on the college level).

By the way, all that money the schools take in goes right back into the improvements that benefit the athletes. This notion that the school at large benefits from the sweat and toil of the athletes is a bit overblown. Do some wealthy folks also contribute to the school because they love OU sports? One hopes (and it probably does happen in some instances), but the vast majority of money brought in by sports goes right back into the athletic department and benefits the athletes--in some ways directly and some ways indirectly.

I look forward to the day that someone insists the young men and women in the theatre department should be paid because their acclaimed production of Hamlet inspired a couple of rich theatre buffs to contribute sizable funds to the theatre department, but I'm not holding my breath for that.
so you admit they are compensated, therefore its a job?
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #73
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Then by all means, let them just begin the careers. Let them go pro, right out of high school, if they wish. I'm all for it.

College athletics should be conducted on a amateur basis, and if that means the top 10% of players go pro, so be it. Good luck to them.
Then also get rid of multi-million dollar coaching contracts and billion dollar tv deals.
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:40 PM   #74
skyvue
National Champion
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,169
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
so you admit they are compensated, therefore its a job?
Sorry, but your obsession with semantics couldn't be of less interest to me.

If an education worth tens of thousands of dollars, plus the training and experience they receive, is not sufficient, the athletes should feel free to go pro (and if any current regulations prevent them from doing so, those should be overturned).

The NFL is benefiting from the current system as much or more than universities are. If the NFL is not ready to allow 18-year-olds play in the NFL, then let it form a minor league. It can certainly afford it more than than public universities can.
__________________
“When most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.”
—Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #75
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 5,994
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by snydrosooner View Post
I think they have to get the schools out of the process. NIL is for the athletes, schools are making money off of it. I have no problem with a player wearing team merh for an add, but teams should not be arranging the NIL for kids such as Texas with the offensive lineman.
that wasn't "the team" that was a group of texas businessmen ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com