ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 07-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #26
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,083
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by allday92 View Post
Overall, it should help bring parity in college sports. Why be one of the 4-5 faces at Duke, Kentucky, Villanova OR go be the one face at Oklahoma basketball?
I think the opposite. The blue bloods have so much money that can be thrown at recruits legally now, that the little guys don't have much of a shot at top talent
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #27
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
A guy like Austin Reaves could maybe make 6 figures next year at OU instead of going pro and maybe missing a roster and maybe getting 5 figures in the G league or maybe more overseas if he's lucky.
I just don’t see how AR would make 6 figures at OU next year. He’d make mid 6 figures if he went overseas.

If you’re NBA or borderline you’ll make more $$ that way 98% of the time.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #28
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,113
Default Re: Nil

It's funny that out of the gate some of the biggest beneficiaries of the NIL are attractive female athletes. I just hadn't thought of that angle. Still think this NIL stuff is going to be a mess.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #29
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
It's funny that out of the gate some of the biggest beneficiaries of the NIL are attractive female athletes. I just hadn't thought of that angle. Still think this NIL stuff is going to be a mess.
I didnít think of that either, and itís so obvious. I also think kids that stay in-state can make more, especially in lower populated states.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #30
hoopsaustin
Final Four
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakland, Maine
Posts: 6,612
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I didnít think of that either, and itís so obvious. I also think kids that stay in-state can make more, especially in lower populated states.
Reading an article tracking players' social media stats was cringe af.. what a strange world
__________________
Porter Moser's Sooners = National Champions by 2026!
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #31
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,098
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Reading an article tracking players' social media stats was cringe af.. what a strange world
It's amazing how much people make off Tiktok and instagram.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #32
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Nil

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....from-nil-rules

This suggests OU basketball will hurt from NIL, makes some good points.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:39 AM   #33
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,098
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....from-nil-rules

This suggests OU basketball will hurt from NIL, makes some good points.
It really depends on how it goes and if it gets regulated too much which will probably happen. So far it seems to be kinda the wild, wild west early on but I'm sure something will happen to make it way less like it is.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #34
SoonerinNC
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,705
Default Re: Nil

If you are a top 20 basketball player where would your endorsements be greater? Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, etc. or OU. OU's fan base in basketball is nothing compared to those schools. If that would not mean something to you it certainly would mean something to your parents. And the schools who cheat and/or take of advantage of loopholes will have new ways to bring in the top players.

In my opinion the politicians have just professionalized college sports and though with good intentions have done nothing for the average player.

Every Athletic Director and College President will be faced with tough decisions on how to play this. Trying to compete at the higher levels may prove to be too much a rat race.

Last edited by SoonerinNC; 07-07-2021 at 11:08 AM.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #35
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,098
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
If you are a top 20 basketball player where would your endorsements be greater? Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, etc. or OU. If that would not mean something to you it certainly would mean something to your parents. And the schools who cheat and/or take of advantage of loopholes will have new ways to bring in the top players.

In my opinion the politicians have just professionalized college sports and though with good intentions have done nothing for the average player.

Every Athletic Director and College President will be faced with tough decisions on how to play this. Trying to compete at the higher levels may prove to be too much a rat race.
I could see some schools getting big benefactors paying for certain salaries every year. Miami is already seeing that with a half a million dollars going to the players there. But smaller schools won't be able to do that. Lesser programs that don't have any real following for a long term will probably end up falling by the wayside. But maybe I'm wrong and there is enough money to go around, but I doubt it. Not the way things have been for a long time.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #36
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Nil

NCAA really screwed this up. Could’ve had a system in place at least a decade ago & they would’ve had some control. Seems like it’s completely out of their hands now.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #37
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,098
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
NCAA really screwed this up. Could’ve had a system in place at least a decade ago & they would’ve had some control. Seems like it’s completely out of their hands now.
Which is probably for the better anyway. NCAA has been pretty incompetent with control over things.

Look at the Adidas crap that had federal crimes go on and we are probably gonna see nothing done to any real major programs like Kansas and UNC that were involved. They may drop the punishment they gave to OSU now.

Last edited by NickZepp; 07-07-2021 at 12:01 PM.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #38
BCSooners
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OK
Posts: 4,413
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Which is probably for the better anyway. NCAA has been pretty incompetent with control over things.

Look at the Adidas crap that had federal crimes go on and we are probably gonna see nothing done to any real major programs like Kansas and UNC that were involved. They may drop the punishment they gave to OSU now.
Yep if they disband itíll be for the good.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:34 AM   #39
Darwin
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cleveland county
Posts: 1,201
Default Re: Nil

We see how crazy things are with football and I think it's very easy to make the leap to hoops. Agents, AAU and the newest https://time.com/6114853/overtime-elite-league-salary/, all can turn upside down the old normal. I also think we should expect many schools to coordinate with providers of nil deals. I expect this scenario, School SEC1 hires company Statues-R-us to provide a statue for $5 million and then that company spends over $4 million for NIL deals. Some of that money is targeting specific players of SEC1 rivals and league contenders, not just best players available.


I expect chaos until a functional governing body exists and even then there is no going back. The 1st thing to do is create time windows for the portal and schedule signing days that fit the new abnormal.

Last edited by Darwin; 01-09-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:57 AM   #40
inoref
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,897
Default Re: Nil

I say let the kids make all the $$ they can/want. I can't blame any of them for doing so.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #41
mict085
All-Conference
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,258
Default Re: Nil

I donít have any problem with players getting paid. I do have a problem with using that money to influence players decision on where to go to school. Also, players are being recruited with NIL off of their current teams which is ridiculous. A player has 1 good season and then fields NIL offers from other teams? Thatís not good for anybody.

The money should be the same for every school and it shouldnít be used to influence players decision on which school to attend. The NIL money should be the same at OU as it is at Bama,texas, etc. It has to be regulated.

The transfer portal needs to go back to where it was before. Limits and sitting out a year under most circumstances.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #42
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
I donít have any problem with players getting paid. I do have a problem with using that money to influence players decision on where to go to school. Also, players are being recruited with NIL off of their current teams which is ridiculous. A player has 1 good season and then fields NIL offers from other teams? Thatís not good for anybody.

The money should be the same for every school and it shouldnít be used to influence players decision on which school to attend. The NIL money should be the same at OU as it is at Bama,texas, etc. It has to be regulated.

The transfer portal needs to go back to where it was before. Limits and sitting out a year under most circumstances.
Why stop there with limits, letís limit coaches to only making as much a professors on campus. Letís eliminate coaches buyouts and you are stuck together, good or bad, until the contract runs out. Letís limit how much schools can make off of tv deals. Or are you just against the labor having some rights
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:22 PM   #43
tooney
Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,383
Default Re: Nil

The NIL helps the schools with biggest donors.

If nothing changes, the current rules makes college sports more lucrative then the pros.
They don't sign contracts...how many different schools can they represent? Is there a rule that they can go to the portal only a set number of times?

There is no salary cap......just how much money the donor wants to pay the student-athlete for his NIL. This is beyond ridiculous.....the bigger donors could buy their basketball team; highest bidder wins the natty?

jmo And I could be wrong.....
__________________
I can't afford to hate people. I don't have that kind of time.
tooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:34 PM   #44
Max Power
Elite Eight
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,661
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooney View Post
The NIL helps the schools with biggest donors.

If nothing changes, the current rules makes college sports more lucrative then the pros.
They don't sign contracts...how many different schools can they represent? Is there a rule that they can go to the portal only a set number of times?

There is no salary cap......just how much money the donor wants to pay the student-athlete for his NIL. This is beyond ridiculous.....the bigger donors could buy their basketball team; highest bidder wins the natty?

jmo And I could be wrong.....
The schools with the biggest donors already buy the best players under the table, hire the best coaches, and build the best facilities. The only difference now is the money is out on the open and schools that donít want to cheat can now get in the game.
__________________
"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:12 PM   #45
WichitaSooner
All-American
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,974
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooney View Post
The NIL helps the schools with biggest donors.

If nothing changes, the current rules makes college sports more lucrative then the pros.
They don't sign contracts...how many different schools can they represent? Is there a rule that they can go to the portal only a set number of times?

There is no salary cap......just how much money the donor wants to pay the student-athlete for his NIL. This is beyond ridiculous.....the bigger donors could buy their basketball team; highest bidder wins the natty?

jmo And I could be wrong.....
You can only transfer once without having to sit a season. That acts as a guardrail against guys just leaving after every season to look for a better offer.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:51 AM   #46
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 945
Default Re: Nil

Nick Saban, Kirby Smart both call for increased NIL regulation in college football: 'You're going to have the haves and have nots'

Unfortunately, it is a Wild West Right Now, they are calling for regulation. Think about it, OU will get left behind because OU has been rule follower for a long time now. Texas and Texas A&M, not so much on following rules. Rumor is that A&M has spent over 40M in NIL for their #1 recruiting class in football this year. OU is losing the #1 freshman in the nation in CW.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ing-haves-nots
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:49 AM   #47
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,113
Default Re: Nil

I'm surprised we haven't seen it impact college hoops more yet, but it's coming.

It'll have to be reigned in at some point by some group. What is happening now isn't what was originally intended. UT (donors) is using it to pay players to come there and play. That isn't NIL. That is pay to play.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:48 AM   #48
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,083
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
I say let the kids make all the $$ they can/want. I can't blame any of them for doing so.
meh. I understand them getting some dough.
But I'll be done with college sports if this trend continues. The time I spend on it has already greatly reduced. This would probably kill it.

Also, just from a logical standpoint....college kids have a hard enough time dealing with life at that age and staying out of trouble...throwing this kind of money at kids could potentially ruin some of them
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:51 AM   #49
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,083
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
The only difference now is the money is out on the open and schools that donít want to cheat can now get in the game.
This isn't true. Yes, the bigger schools were paying players already under the table. But if you don't think now it will be 10 fold the $$$ you are kidding yourself.

The difference in haves and have nots will only continue to grow
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #50
inoref
All-American
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,897
Default Re: Nil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
meh. I understand them getting some dough.
But I'll be done with college sports if this trend continues. The time I spend on it has already greatly reduced. This would probably kill it.

Also, just from a logical standpoint....college kids have a hard enough time dealing with life at that age and staying out of trouble...throwing this kind of money at kids could potentially ruin some of them
Only basketball I watch is college and that is like maybe two games a month now. Last nba game I seen was OKC and Florida team game four of the finals.
And even with a local team in it was all I could do to watch. College BB is catching up with nba (chest pounding, all about me)
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com