ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 12-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #51
soonertravis
Walk-on

Default Re: Bijan > Goldwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
This is not aging well. Cortes might be a good player eventually but he doesn't look ready to me. Goldwire is limited offensively but his lockdown defense is too valuable.
Agree. I was surprised to see some positive comments about Cortes after last night's game. I think he is smart, athletic and an excellent ball handler, but he struggled last night against a top team who plays with good defensive pressure. I think he will be very good and he will continue to improve.

But Goldwire is just more steady right now. And with his defense and leadership he is what the team needs.
soonertravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #52
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
This is not aging well. Cortes might be a good player eventually but he doesn't look ready to me. Goldwire is limited offensively but his lockdown defense is too valuable.
I agree.....
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #53
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
I think most understood the OP was way off, just a knee jerk reaction after Goldwire played bad in a loss. I think it should be Cortes>Mason for backup PG. Mason might end up being a better player, but Cortes is OU's best pure PG on offense. It will take Cortes a year, I think, to be able to guard and get used to the athleticism in P5 basketball.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #54
Jeopardude
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
I think most understood the OP was way off, just a knee jerk reaction after Goldwire played bad in a loss. I think it should be Cortes>Mason for backup PG. Mason might end up being a better player, but Cortes is OU's best pure PG on offense. It will take Cortes a year, I think, to be able to guard and get used to the athleticism in P5 basketball.
Harkless needs to show him how to use the weight room
Jeopardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #55
OULad
Role Player

Cortes is better than I thought he would be, but he is not ready to take over from Goldwire. Not even close.
OULad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:59 PM   #56
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OULad View Post
I think its crazy to say Bijan is better than Goldwire. I dont even this its particularly close.
I’m right.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:07 PM   #57
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore Cox View Post
I’m right.
For today you were :-). Regardless, it's best to keep bringing him along slowly. No doubt we'll need BOTH of these guys for the next 2-3 months.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:10 PM   #58
OULad
Role Player

Bijan had a great game. He still had too many TO and doesnt defend at the level Goldwire does. His ceiling is much higher, but I still dont know that he is better right now. And Wayman is right, we need both to play well.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:15 PM   #59
skyvue
National Champion

Quote:
Bijan had a great game. He still had too many TO and doesnt defend at the level Goldwire does. His ceiling is much higher, but I still dont know that he is better right now. And Wayman is right, we need both to play well.
I said it in the game thread, but it bears repeating: Cortes had just one more turnover than Goldwire.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:24 PM   #60
OULad
Role Player

I realize that. Everyone on these boards always seems to overreact to single games. If he repeats this type of performance he will get more and more minutes. The coaches see these guys every day. They arent dumb. They will play the better player more minutes than the other one.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:26 PM   #61
billyball
All-Conference

Offense seemed to flow better, today, with Bijan. Really glad to see him develop.
billyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #62
skyvue
National Champion

Quote:
I realize that. Everyone on these boards always seems to overreact to single games. If he repeats this type of performance he will get more and more minutes. The coaches see these guys every day. They arent dumb. They will play the better player more minutes than the other one.
i'm not overreacting. I've not suggested he should be starting or that he's better than Goldwire or anything like it. But this wasn't the first win he's contributed to, and to harp on his turnovers when he had literally one more than than a fifth-year senior seems silly. It's ok to celebrate a great performance on its own terms, which is what the vast majority of us are doing (I am, anyway). And yes, I'm aware of the title of this thread, but posting in the thread doesn't mean one shares those particular sentiments.

Some posters spend more time telling the rest of us to tap the brakes than they do celebrating exciting wins and impressive individual performances.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:47 PM   #63
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
For today you were :-). Regardless, it's best to keep bringing him along slowly. No doubt we'll need BOTH of these guys for the next 2-3 months.
I’m right because Goldwire has no game. Shooting , dribbling , passing, and going to the basket, Bijan is better. Defending and having more experience is what Goldwire has on him. Bijan is catching up.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:49 PM   #64
allday92
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore Cox View Post
I’m right because Goldwire has no game. Shooting , dribbling , passing, and going to the basket, Bijan is better. Defending and having more experience is what Goldwire has on him. Bijan is catching up.
Yes yes yes...and it's not close. Goldwire just has no feel for the game. When OU goes against elite defensive teams, they're going to need a point guard out there who can make quick decision, and accurately pass.
allday92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #65
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by allday92 View Post
Yes yes yes...and it's not close. Goldwire just has no feel for the game. When OU goes against elite defensive teams, they're going to need a point guard out there who can make quick decision, and accurately pass.
100 percent.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:20 PM   #66
Hops
Walk-on

in support of B. Cortes, 1 of his turnovers was due to T. Groves NOT coming to the ball.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:16 PM   #67
TINY
All-Conference

What are we even doing in this thread? We have so few true PGs we need both fo these dudes to be significant contributors. The emergence of Cortes has been massive! Goldwire has been a good player for ou to this point. Damn glad to have him.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:08 PM   #68
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
What are we even doing in this thread? We have so few true PGs we need both fo these dudes to be significant contributors. The emergence of Cortes has been massive! Goldwire has been a good player for ou to this point. Damn glad to have him.
This times a million. Anyone who doesn’t think we need both these guys to play big minutes is fooling themselves. Neither guy is going to be a guy who plays 35 minutes a night. People are getting so caught up in one game because of recency bias.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:31 AM   #69
tooney
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
This times a million. Anyone who doesn’t think we need both these guys to play big minutes is fooling themselves. Neither guy is going to be a guy who plays 35 minutes a night. People are getting so caught up in one game because of recency bias.
Both are PGs, but each has a different game.........and we will need both, at times last game, they were both on the floor at the same time!

I'm just glad that Bijan had a great game and hope it carries forward!!

Old 01-10-2022, 08:56 AM   #70
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
You know us Sooner fans have an obsession with the back ups.
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:59 AM   #71
OUsky
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
That's funny man.
OUsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #72
AdaSooner
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post

Especially after they transfer to another school. Anybody know how Hornbeak is doing these days?
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #73
vbdad
Starter

I bet still smoking his dope. He wasn’t going to be suspended by policy.

Cortes is fun to watch and needs minutes. Goldwire is also needed. Hopefully they both play well all season.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote