ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-02-2022, 11:09 PM   #1
TINY
All-Conference

Default Massive Win

Going into the night I expected to win until the news broke of the groves Bros and Cortes. Just a fantastic team effort to get the win against a tournament kstate team. Have to call out a couple guys — Harkless with another great performance and loved seeing Gibson knock down those FTs at the end. Harkless is NBA. Congrats to Moser on his 1st of many Big12 wins at OU! Get healthy and play hard against baylor and We have a solid shot IMO.
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:56 PM   #2
WichitaSooner
All-American

Default Re: Massive Win

I love your posts, Tiny, and agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments on how big a win it was and on congratulating Porter on his first conference win. And while I agree that Harkless was clutch and played very well, he is only in the NBA if he buys a ticket just like the rest of us.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
JBaker
Elite Eight

It was really great to win a conference game shorthanded, but K-State is not a tournament team. They were absolutely atrocious last year and are slightly better this year.
JBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #4
skyvue
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaker View Post
They were absolutely atrocious last year and are slightly better this year.
Last season, in non-conference play, KSU went 2-4. This year, they were 8-3. Those numbers suggest a bigger bump than "slightly better" but we'll see.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:20 PM   #5
JBaker
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Last season, in non-conference play, KSU went 2-4. This year, they were 8-3. Those numbers suggest a bigger bump than "slightly better" but we'll see.
Their SOS is like 300 even after playing us. Of those 8 wins, their best win BY FAR is over 9-4 Wichita State. They haven't beaten another team that is better than 3 games under .500. They certainly don't have anything like their Fort Hays State loss last year, but they're still bad. 6-12 would be a pretty good Big 12 record for them.
JBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
WichitaSooner
All-American

Their NET this year is far better than last year, and I think the eye test is consistent with that. They were horrid last year, and this year, they are a top 80-ish team. That’s a huge leap, even if it doesn’t make them a tournament team.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:29 PM   #7
stormspencer
Elite Eight

Quote:
It was really great to win a conference game shorthanded, but K-State is not a tournament team. They were absolutely atrocious last year and are slightly better this year.
I don't know if KSU is a "tournament team" or not, but they are #63 in Kenpom as of today. Last year, they were #147 in Kenpom.....KSU is significantly better this year.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
Zimwillett
Role Player

Quote:
Their SOS is like 300 even after playing us. Of those 8 wins, their best win BY FAR is over 9-4 Wichita State. They haven't beaten another team that is better than 3 games under .500. They certainly don't have anything like their Fort Hays State loss last year, but they're still bad. 6-12 would be a pretty good Big 12 record for them.
While I agree that K-State is probably not a tournament team, I don't think I'd characterize them as "bad" either. For example, they're currently rated 63 by KenPom. In relative terms (i.e. 358 total D1 basketball teams) that's not "bad" at all.

All in all, I'm happy with this win. These are the kinds of wins tournament teams scratch out.
Zimwillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #9
OULad
Role Player

KSU has a couple of pretty good players. Not a bad team, but not a tourney team either. But I agree it was a huge win being down our most important player and backup PG.
OULad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:30 AM   #10
pnkranger
All-American

This issue with that game was that they have good guards and an atrocious frontcourt. Unfortunately, with Tanner and Jacob out and Chagrois in foul trouble, we couldn't make them pay.

Tanner would have had 25 in that game. We smash them in Manhattan with a full bench.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:38 AM   #11
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
This issue with that game was that they have good guards and an atrocious frontcourt. Unfortunately, with Tanner and Jacob out and Chagrois in foul trouble, we couldn't make them pay.

Tanner would have had 25 in that game. We smash them in Manhattan with a full bench.
I don’t think we will ever smash them in Manhattan. We’ve lost there with FF teams, number one teams, and national players of the year. A one-point win in Manhattan would be delightful.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:01 PM   #12
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I don’t think we will ever smash them in Manhattan. We’ve lost there with FF teams, number one teams, and national players of the year. A one-point win in Manhattan would be delightful.
agree....we haven't won there is eon's (so it seems)...lol. a win is a win
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote