ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 10-11-2016, 03:10 AM   #26
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Default Re: Darrion Strong ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capel's Mustache View Post
I read the same feed. I think you have it right but sub lattin for buford

Today the starting group for the full court 5 on 5 was:

Woodard
James
Odomes
Freeman
Lattin

McGusty, Buford, Doolittle rotated in to make it a top 8. Lattin was 1-3 BTA and made a 17-18'er. Team did not shoot well.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #27
big-hOUnd
Walk-on

Thanks for the "article" 😆 Dsuits on your perspective of the program and players. A very good read, much enjoyed it!
big-hOUnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #28
AdaSooner
Administrator

Freeman in the starting lineup again? Usedtobe1 was the only poster who didn't make fun of me when I threw that out as a possibility several months ago.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #29
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
Freeman in the starting lineup again? Usedtobe1 was the only poster who didn't make fun of me when I threw that out as a possibility several months ago.
Just imagine the fun that would be made at your expense if you mentioned Isaiah Cousins starting at the point guard during last years pre-season practices...

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #30
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Just imagine the fun that would be made at your expense if you mentioned Isaiah Cousins starting at the point guard during last years pre-season practices...

I wish I had been smart enough to see that coming. Didn't that honor go to garyeb2, or was it someone else?

As for Freeman, I didn't predict he would start, I just didn't rule him out as a possibility.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #31
vbdad
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post

I wish I had been smart enough to see that coming. Didn't that honor go to garyeb2, or was it someone else?

As for Freeman, I didn't predict he would start, I just didn't rule him out as a possibility.
I don't know who first posted it but I confirmed it and was ripped as being an idiot.

Freeman and Doolittle both have a chance to be in the starting lineup as do Buford and James. This is going to be very interesting to see what happens and if it changes throughout the year.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #32
Larry72
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
I don't know who first posted it but I confirmed it and was ripped as being an idiot.

Freeman and Doolittle both have a chance to be in the starting lineup as do Buford and James. This is going to be very interesting to see what happens and if it changes throughout the year.
It will be interesting.
Since Lon practices full court in 2-4 min spurts and then teaches / corrects. He changes lineups periodically and repeats the process. In another couple of weeks the better players will start showing up more. With the limited experience the coaches will earn their pay this year.

All will get valuable PT in the exhibition games.
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #33
Stikboy
All-Conference

Interesting info. As has been said, Kruger usually plays 9 tops in conference. Before practice started I had sort of counted Freeman out for this year's conference rotation. If he, Buford, and Doolittle are all 4s then I wonder if one will get just scrap minutes ultimately. You'd think JMuni is Lattin's post backup. You have McGusty as the wing backup and Strong as the point backup.. That means one of those 4s might not get too many minutes, unless Doolittle or Buford backs up Odomes at the big wing(3). Yes, it will be very interesting. Hope Lon can keep them all happy!
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #34
usedtobe1
Administrator

Quote:

I was ripped pretty good over on the SoonerScoop board for touting Cousins as the PG.

I'm always more interested in the ultimate 8-9 man rotation than I am who starts. Especially in Nov/Dec. My wild guess now would be:

PG - Woodard
Wing - James
Wing - Odomes
PF - Buford
C - Lattin

6. Doolittle - "manimal" on the boards
7. McGusty - instant offense
8. Strong - experienced PG who can score
9. Freeman - would love to see him get some looks from the arc in high/low sets. Also, like how he has battled on the boards in early practices.

I just haven't read much about McNeace standing out. I've heard more positive things about CJ Cole. I also think Sheperd is too young, along with thinking Strong is a good, experienced PG.

JMHO
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #35
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:

I remember that now, vbdad. You may be the one who first posted it too. No one thought starting Isaiah at the point was a foolish idea halfway through the season. It turned out to be pure genius on LK's part, one that eventually led to a final four run for last year's team.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #36
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:

Yea I remember you and gary both getting roasted for that, by people who didn't even go to the practices.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #37
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

With a team this young and as short on experience I suspect that we will see someone look like a lock starter for a hot run and then hit the wall for awhile. I don't believe that we will see the same 5 starting all season this time.

I do think we will see at least 8 and probably 9 getting meaningful minutes. And probably not the same 8 or 9.

We are probably in for a bit of a roller coaster season but maybe not. Lon has a way of bringing on young players fast. He also has a way of giving more playing time to people who have the most long term upside. Remember how much he played Cousins at point his freshman season. Lon is very good at seeing what will benefit the team in the long run.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #38
Larry72
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
Yea I remember you and gary both getting roasted for that, by people who didn't even go to the practices.
I attended my first practice in late Oct last year and reported that Cousins was play the point during the the full court sessions. It did surprise me.
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote