ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #26
OUBig12Champs
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 189
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

I agree with Coolm, Nolan Johnson... I thought the same a couple of games ago.
__________________
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson -
OUBig12Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #27
steverocks35
Sweet 16
 
steverocks35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: muskogee, ok
Posts: 4,194
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUBig12Champs View Post
I agree with Coolm, Nolan Johnson. Nolan was a tough SOB, my favorite player in the OU Basketball I have been able to enjoy..
I like that comparison somewhat, but I think Nolan was more of a "below the rim" type player whereas Alondes is definitely an "above the rim" player.

I actually like the Nate Erdman comparison. Nate had some serious hops.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #28
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,001
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUBig12Champs View Post
I agree with Coolm, Nolan Johnson... I thought the same a couple of games ago.
In some ways, I see similarities. But Nolan certainly couldn't jump like Williams and wasn't as explosive overall. He was more of a bowling ball. (And that isn't meant in a bad way lol.)
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #29
BoulderSooner
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 4,146
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
In some ways, I see similarities. But Nolan certainly couldn't jump like Williams and wasn't as explosive overall. He was more of a bowling ball. (And that isn't meant in a bad way lol.)
will always love the memory of the final game in "old" GIA

for about the last 8-10 min of the game OU went 1-4 and nolan took and dominated DMason 1-1 on both ends mason had 0 field goals

https://okstate.com/news/2000/3/4/OS..._Oklahoma.aspx

http://stats.okstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/030400aab.html

nolan had 10 point and 3 ast in the last 10 min

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 02-14-2020 at 09:57 AM.
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #30
usedtobe1
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montgomery, Texas
Posts: 3,454
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Nolan played bully-ball. He was strong and very physical so he posted up defenders and just overpowered them for a 12 foot shot. Alondes was a PG in HS so he likes to juke a defender and goes for for the hoop. He isn’t nearly as physical as Nolan but is a lot quicker.... and has more hops.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #31
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,800
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
In some ways, I see similarities. But Nolan certainly couldn't jump like Williams and wasn't as explosive overall. He was more of a bowling ball. (And that isn't meant in a bad way lol.)
Agreed... Nolan Johnson was a bulldog and played below the rim.

Sounds like this other guy people are talking about is a better comparison.

Fun fact... Nolan Johnson is one of my favorite players. He only averaged like 10ppg but he was a crazy good defender and drove teams crazy when Sampson would just clear out the lane and let him drive on people.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #32
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,001
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
will always love the memory of the final game in "old" GIA

for about the last 8-10 min of the game OU went 1-4 and nolan took and dominated DMason 1-1 on both ends mason had 0 field goals

https://okstate.com/news/2000/3/4/OS..._Oklahoma.aspx

http://stats.okstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/030400aab.html

nolan had 10 point and 3 ast in the last 10 min
That set became Kelvin's go-to with that team -- flatten it out and just let Nolan play 1-on-1. Worked remarkably well.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #33
CoachTalk
National Champion
 
CoachTalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,420
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
Nolan played bully-ball. He was strong and very physical so he posted up defenders and just overpowered them for a 12 foot shot. Alondes was a PG in HS so he likes to juke a defender and goes for for the hoop. He isnít nearly as physical as Nolan but is a lot quicker.... and has more hops.
Nolan one of my favorites!

Bully ball was fun!

Iím thinking ebi ere. I know he canít score like that yet but I think next year he lightens Doos loss.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #34
perryj74
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mooreland
Posts: 552
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

As some have already mentioned when I saw the thread title I immediately thought Angelo Hamilton and that dunk at DUKE.
perryj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #35
sanguinetti
Role Player
 
sanguinetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 689
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

previous poster may have been thinking of Nate Carter. had a good season for us in a down year....late Kelvin, maybe early Capel...

Carter was a juco i think, kind of maybe apocryphal story of him one on one "schooling" Brandon Rush on Rush's OU visit that sent Rush to KU. grain of salt.

Nate was a good basketball player....but i don't remember that much about his game, per se.

i was a Nolan Johnson fan, too. totally outplayed Desmond Mason in the afore-mentioned GIA game. missed one-one against Indy State to ice that game was a heartbreaker.

as you were.

Last edited by sanguinetti; 02-14-2020 at 10:09 AM.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #36
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,800
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinetti View Post
previous poster may have been thinking of Nate Carter. had a good season for us in a down year....late Kelvin, maybe early Capel...

Carter was a juco i think, kind of maybe apocryphal story of him one on one "schooling" Brandon Rush on Rush's OU visit that sent Rush to KU. grain of salt.

Nate was a good basketball player....but i don't remember that much about his game, per se.

i was a Nolan Johnson fan, too. totally outplayed Desmond Mason in the afore-mentioned GIA game. missed one-one against Indy State to ice that game was a heartbreaker.

as you were.
Nate Carter was a transfer from UC Irvine.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #37
skyvue
Final Four
 
skyvue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,196
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinetti View Post
previous poster may have been thinking of Nate Carter. had a good season for us in a down year....late Kelvin, maybe early Capel...
Nate played one season under each of those coaches. If I recall correctly (someone will correct me if I don't), he started out very slowly his senior years and we fans were getting frustrated, but he suddenly came to life about halfway through the season and was a prolific scorer the rest of the way.

I try always to remember the lessons that Carter and Stacey King can teach us as fans: that a player who's struggling during a season won't necessarily struggle the entire season -- Carter certainly didn't -- and a player who hasn't yet made his mark as a freshman or sophomore (or heck, even as a junior) may suddenly get his legs under him and become a significant contributor (or even an all-conference player).
__________________
ďWhen most people say they are being 'realistic,' they delude themselves; they are simply being negative.Ē
óDr. Norman Vincent Peale

Last edited by skyvue; 02-14-2020 at 11:01 AM.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #38
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,315
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

you guys are right. I just remember how kelvin useta clear out for nolan to take it to the hole. he was that physical specimen (the bowling ball) that was hard to stop. Alondes is definitely more athletic and jumps higher. I was comparing the football builds and propensity to take it to the rack.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #39
sanguinetti
Role Player
 
sanguinetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 689
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Nate Carter was a transfer from UC Irvine.
that sounds right, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I try always to remember the lessons that Carter and Stacey King can teach us as fans: that a player who's struggling during a season won't necessarily struggle the entire season -- Carter certainly didn't -- and a player who hasn't yet made his mark as a freshman or sophomore (or heck, even as a junior) may suddenly get his legs under him and become a significant contributor (or even an all-conference player).
i would argue Ace McGhee was a bit that way....hyped as a Cincy transfer....looked kinda soft and out of sync until the Maryland game in Norman and All American Lonny Baxter. Ace bodied him up in the post like a champ. i was at that game....and Ace looked a player. helped they were both maybe slightly undersized low post guys with good moves (though the college game used to have that position more than now and certainly more than the NBA.....I remember Sam Clancy on that USC team that made a run in the NCAA was also a good if smaller low post guy of that era).

But Ace found himself and that fadeaway jumper.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #40
MJSooner
Role Player
 
MJSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 628
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Nolan Johnson and Nate are not bad comparisons, and Angelo Hamilton is a much better comparison. But I think Hamilton didn't have quite the outside shot that Williams has and for those younger folks to believe it or not, had more athleticism.

Jason Detrick is a great comparison in my mind. Probably the closest if you factor in size, athleticism and shooting ability. Also going old school to think of another player that compares really, really well is Terrance Mullins. He was explosive and had a great outside shot. Maybe not quite the same build as he was a little smaller, but playes the same way.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #41
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,872
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

His ability to rock the rim reminds me of the Chupacabra:

Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #42
sanguinetti
Role Player
 
sanguinetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 689
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

i was going to suggest Juan Patillo before....but my memory of that flash is untrustworthy.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #43
MJSooner
Role Player
 
MJSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 628
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinetti View Post
i was going to suggest Juan Patillo before....but my memory of that flash is untrustworthy.
But wasn't Patillo like 6'7"? He also seemed a little leaner than Wiliams. Plus I don't recall him being able to handle the ball very well. He did like to murder the rim like Alondes.

But Alondes probably couldn't shoot free throws like Patillo. Dude hit the banners in the rafters on his attempts.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #44
psk2080
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 259
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
nolan not nate. like nolan johnson or whatever his name was. he was a fireplug always driving also.
I like that comparison. Nolan Johnson was tough going to the rim.
psk2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #45
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,872
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

I don't see the Nolan Johnson connection. Nolan had unbelievably wide shoulders and a very low southpaw dribble. That 1-4 set is quasi legendary. Ripped the Aggie hearts right out of their chests in March of 2000. Desmond Mason missed every shot he took from the field that night.

I LOVE the Angelo Hamilton reference. The hype surrounding that guy was unreal. He was a good player, sure, but they made him out to be a hybrid of Chris Jackson and Larry Johnson. I was a Bryatt Vann guy, myself.

Erdmann was a great player. 1,000 points in two seasons. That was the JUCO gold standard for a while (even though I think he was a D-1 transfer who followed Kelvin from Wazzu).

Alondes has played much better recently. I thought it was very telling Tuesday night that the starters received about 8-straight minutes of run to open the second half. Tells me that the team defense is improving. Alondes has come a ways there.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #46
red recluse
Starter
 
red recluse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,353
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

if we are comparing game and not body, erdmann is the closest. maybe angelo. disagree with the rest.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #47
Salt City Sooner
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 554
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
I don't see the Nolan Johnson connection. Nolan had unbelievably wide shoulders and a very low southpaw dribble. That 1-4 set is quasi legendary. Ripped the Aggie hearts right out of their chests in March of 2000. Desmond Mason missed every shot he took from the field that night.

I LOVE the Angelo Hamilton reference. The hype surrounding that guy was unreal. He was a good player, sure, but they made him out to be a hybrid of Chris Jackson and Larry Johnson. I was a Bryatt Vann guy, myself.

Erdmann was a great player. 1,000 points in two seasons. That was the JUCO gold standard for a while (even though I think he was a D-1 transfer who followed Kelvin from Wazzu)

Alondes has played much better recently. I thought it was very telling Tuesday night that the starters received about 8-straight minutes of run to open the second half. Tells me that the team defense is improving. Alondes has come a ways there.
He was here @ Hutch for a year between his Pullman & Norman stops.
__________________
" I believe that the pat on the back is one of the greatest motivating factors we have. Of course, occasionally, that pat has to be a little lower & a little harder."

-John Wooden-
Salt City Sooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:52 PM   #48
vbdad
Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,044
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

My comparison is Angelo Hamilton. He was delayed in arrival to Norman because of grade issues. He was an absolute freak athletically and had a good looking jumper which missed too much. He was hyped as a lottery pick but was never that good.

Tyrone Jones was strictly a great shooter. Slightly taller and thinner built a similar build.
Nolan never shot the ball from more than 12 feet and usually within 5 ft. He was a load one on one. He had the NYC playground background.
Nate was better than all of these guys. Great shooter and athlete.
Terrance Mullins is a good comparison. Terrance was a little smaller and probably slightly less athletic but similar game.
His body also reminds me of Calvin Curry but Calvin only shot from deep and I mean deep. No ability to drive the ball.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 PM   #49
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 749
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Angelo Hamilton is def the best comparison! For any of you who did NOT get to see OU during that era...you truly missed out!! It was such a fun time!

If anyone remembers, Angelo Hamilton’s juco teammate Anthony Cade (6’10” juco AA who was also a McDonalds AA) was supposed to join Hamilton at OU...but never qualified!! Who knows how good that team would have been with Cade playing the post!!
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #50
OUGenius
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 79
Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Who is that?
I canít believe YOU donít know who Angelo Hamilton is. You act like you know everything so I guess you donít. Happy to hear. Of course you might have been joking because most people who know OU b-ball would know who he is.
OUGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com