ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #26
OUBig12Champs
Walk-on

Default Re: Good comparison for Alondes Williams?

I agree with Coolm, Nolan Johnson... I thought the same a couple of games ago.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #27
steverocks35
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUBig12Champs View Post
I agree with Coolm, Nolan Johnson. Nolan was a tough SOB, my favorite player in the OU Basketball I have been able to enjoy..
I like that comparison somewhat, but I think Nolan was more of a "below the rim" type player whereas Alondes is definitely an "above the rim" player.

I actually like the Nate Erdman comparison. Nate had some serious hops.
steverocks35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #28
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUBig12Champs View Post
I agree with Coolm, Nolan Johnson... I thought the same a couple of games ago.
In some ways, I see similarities. But Nolan certainly couldn't jump like Williams and wasn't as explosive overall. He was more of a bowling ball. (And that isn't meant in a bad way lol.)
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM   #29
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
In some ways, I see similarities. But Nolan certainly couldn't jump like Williams and wasn't as explosive overall. He was more of a bowling ball. (And that isn't meant in a bad way lol.)
will always love the memory of the final game in "old" GIA

for about the last 8-10 min of the game OU went 1-4 and nolan took and dominated DMason 1-1 on both ends mason had 0 field goals

https://okstate.com/news/2000/3/4/OS..._Oklahoma.aspx

http://stats.okstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/030400aab.html

nolan had 10 point and 3 ast in the last 10 min

Last edited by BoulderSooner; 02-14-2020 at 09:57 AM.
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #30
usedtobe1
Administrator

Nolan played bully-ball. He was strong and very physical so he posted up defenders and just overpowered them for a 12 foot shot. Alondes was a PG in HS so he likes to juke a defender and goes for for the hoop. He isn’t nearly as physical as Nolan but is a lot quicker.... and has more hops.
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #31
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Agreed... Nolan Johnson was a bulldog and played below the rim.

Sounds like this other guy people are talking about is a better comparison.

Fun fact... Nolan Johnson is one of my favorite players. He only averaged like 10ppg but he was a crazy good defender and drove teams crazy when Sampson would just clear out the lane and let him drive on people.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #32
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
will always love the memory of the final game in "old" GIA

for about the last 8-10 min of the game OU went 1-4 and nolan took and dominated DMason 1-1 on both ends mason had 0 field goals

https://okstate.com/news/2000/3/4/OS..._Oklahoma.aspx

http://stats.okstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/030400aab.html

nolan had 10 point and 3 ast in the last 10 min
That set became Kelvin's go-to with that team -- flatten it out and just let Nolan play 1-on-1. Worked remarkably well.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #33
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
Nolan played bully-ball. He was strong and very physical so he posted up defenders and just overpowered them for a 12 foot shot. Alondes was a PG in HS so he likes to juke a defender and goes for for the hoop. He isnít nearly as physical as Nolan but is a lot quicker.... and has more hops.
Nolan one of my favorites!

Bully ball was fun!

Iím thinking ebi ere. I know he canít score like that yet but I think next year he lightens Doos loss.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #34
perryj74
Role Player

As some have already mentioned when I saw the thread title I immediately thought Angelo Hamilton and that dunk at DUKE.
perryj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #35
sanguinetti
Role Player

previous poster may have been thinking of Nate Carter. had a good season for us in a down year....late Kelvin, maybe early Capel...

Carter was a juco i think, kind of maybe apocryphal story of him one on one "schooling" Brandon Rush on Rush's OU visit that sent Rush to KU. grain of salt.

Nate was a good basketball player....but i don't remember that much about his game, per se.

i was a Nolan Johnson fan, too. totally outplayed Desmond Mason in the afore-mentioned GIA game. missed one-one against Indy State to ice that game was a heartbreaker.

as you were.

Last edited by sanguinetti; 02-14-2020 at 10:09 AM.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #36
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinetti View Post
previous poster may have been thinking of Nate Carter. had a good season for us in a down year....late Kelvin, maybe early Capel...

Carter was a juco i think, kind of maybe apocryphal story of him one on one "schooling" Brandon Rush on Rush's OU visit that sent Rush to KU. grain of salt.

Nate was a good basketball player....but i don't remember that much about his game, per se.

i was a Nolan Johnson fan, too. totally outplayed Desmond Mason in the afore-mentioned GIA game. missed one-one against Indy State to ice that game was a heartbreaker.

as you were.
Nate Carter was a transfer from UC Irvine.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #37
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Nate played one season under each of those coaches. If I recall correctly (someone will correct me if I don't), he started out very slowly his senior years and we fans were getting frustrated, but he suddenly came to life about halfway through the season and was a prolific scorer the rest of the way.

I try always to remember the lessons that Carter and Stacey King can teach us as fans: that a player who's struggling during a season won't necessarily struggle the entire season -- Carter certainly didn't -- and a player who hasn't yet made his mark as a freshman or sophomore (or heck, even as a junior) may suddenly get his legs under him and become a significant contributor (or even an all-conference player).

Last edited by skyvue; 02-14-2020 at 11:01 AM.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #38
coolm
National Champion

you guys are right. I just remember how kelvin useta clear out for nolan to take it to the hole. he was that physical specimen (the bowling ball) that was hard to stop. Alondes is definitely more athletic and jumps higher. I was comparing the football builds and propensity to take it to the rack.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #39
sanguinetti
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Nate Carter was a transfer from UC Irvine.
that sounds right, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I try always to remember the lessons that Carter and Stacey King can teach us as fans: that a player who's struggling during a season won't necessarily struggle the entire season -- Carter certainly didn't -- and a player who hasn't yet made his mark as a freshman or sophomore (or heck, even as a junior) may suddenly get his legs under him and become a significant contributor (or even an all-conference player).
i would argue Ace McGhee was a bit that way....hyped as a Cincy transfer....looked kinda soft and out of sync until the Maryland game in Norman and All American Lonny Baxter. Ace bodied him up in the post like a champ. i was at that game....and Ace looked a player. helped they were both maybe slightly undersized low post guys with good moves (though the college game used to have that position more than now and certainly more than the NBA.....I remember Sam Clancy on that USC team that made a run in the NCAA was also a good if smaller low post guy of that era).

But Ace found himself and that fadeaway jumper.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #40
MJSooner
Role Player

Nolan Johnson and Nate are not bad comparisons, and Angelo Hamilton is a much better comparison. But I think Hamilton didn't have quite the outside shot that Williams has and for those younger folks to believe it or not, had more athleticism.

Jason Detrick is a great comparison in my mind. Probably the closest if you factor in size, athleticism and shooting ability. Also going old school to think of another player that compares really, really well is Terrance Mullins. He was explosive and had a great outside shot. Maybe not quite the same build as he was a little smaller, but playes the same way.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #41
Sooner04
All-Conference

His ability to rock the rim reminds me of the Chupacabra:

Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #42
sanguinetti
Role Player

i was going to suggest Juan Patillo before....but my memory of that flash is untrustworthy.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #43
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
i was going to suggest Juan Patillo before....but my memory of that flash is untrustworthy.
But wasn't Patillo like 6'7"? He also seemed a little leaner than Wiliams. Plus I don't recall him being able to handle the ball very well. He did like to murder the rim like Alondes.

But Alondes probably couldn't shoot free throws like Patillo. Dude hit the banners in the rafters on his attempts.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #44
psk2080
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
nolan not nate. like nolan johnson or whatever his name was. he was a fireplug always driving also.
I like that comparison. Nolan Johnson was tough going to the rim.
psk2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #45
Sooner04
All-Conference

I don't see the Nolan Johnson connection. Nolan had unbelievably wide shoulders and a very low southpaw dribble. That 1-4 set is quasi legendary. Ripped the Aggie hearts right out of their chests in March of 2000. Desmond Mason missed every shot he took from the field that night.

I LOVE the Angelo Hamilton reference. The hype surrounding that guy was unreal. He was a good player, sure, but they made him out to be a hybrid of Chris Jackson and Larry Johnson. I was a Bryatt Vann guy, myself.

Erdmann was a great player. 1,000 points in two seasons. That was the JUCO gold standard for a while (even though I think he was a D-1 transfer who followed Kelvin from Wazzu).

Alondes has played much better recently. I thought it was very telling Tuesday night that the starters received about 8-straight minutes of run to open the second half. Tells me that the team defense is improving. Alondes has come a ways there.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:10 PM   #46
red recluse
Starter

if we are comparing game and not body, erdmann is the closest. maybe angelo. disagree with the rest.
red recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #47
Salt City Sooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
I don't see the Nolan Johnson connection. Nolan had unbelievably wide shoulders and a very low southpaw dribble. That 1-4 set is quasi legendary. Ripped the Aggie hearts right out of their chests in March of 2000. Desmond Mason missed every shot he took from the field that night.

I LOVE the Angelo Hamilton reference. The hype surrounding that guy was unreal. He was a good player, sure, but they made him out to be a hybrid of Chris Jackson and Larry Johnson. I was a Bryatt Vann guy, myself.

Erdmann was a great player. 1,000 points in two seasons. That was the JUCO gold standard for a while (even though I think he was a D-1 transfer who followed Kelvin from Wazzu)

Alondes has played much better recently. I thought it was very telling Tuesday night that the starters received about 8-straight minutes of run to open the second half. Tells me that the team defense is improving. Alondes has come a ways there.
He was here @ Hutch for a year between his Pullman & Norman stops.

-John Wooden-
Salt City Sooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:52 PM   #48
vbdad
Starter

My comparison is Angelo Hamilton. He was delayed in arrival to Norman because of grade issues. He was an absolute freak athletically and had a good looking jumper which missed too much. He was hyped as a lottery pick but was never that good.

Tyrone Jones was strictly a great shooter. Slightly taller and thinner built a similar build.
Nolan never shot the ball from more than 12 feet and usually within 5 ft. He was a load one on one. He had the NYC playground background.
Nate was better than all of these guys. Great shooter and athlete.
Terrance Mullins is a good comparison. Terrance was a little smaller and probably slightly less athletic but similar game.
His body also reminds me of Calvin Curry but Calvin only shot from deep and I mean deep. No ability to drive the ball.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 PM   #49
cvangild
Role Player

Angelo Hamilton is def the best comparison! For any of you who did NOT get to see OU during that era...you truly missed out!! It was such a fun time!

If anyone remembers, Angelo Hamilton’s juco teammate Anthony Cade (6’10” juco AA who was also a McDonalds AA) was supposed to join Hamilton at OU...but never qualified!! Who knows how good that team would have been with Cade playing the post!!
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #50
OUGenius
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Who is that?
I canít believe YOU donít know who Angelo Hamilton is. You act like you know everything so I guess you donít. Happy to hear. Of course you might have been joking because most people who know OU b-ball would know who he is.
OUGenius is offline   Reply With Quote