ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #51
annabelle
Walk-on

Default Re: Sooners part ways with guard Shaina Pellington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8 View Post
Baylor & Texas can afford transfers,because they have someone just as good to replace them.OU does not have that luxury.Go Sooners!!!

annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #52
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Question Re: Sooners part ways with guard Shaina Pellington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8 View Post
Baylor & Texas can afford transfers,because they have someone just as good to replace them.OU does not have that luxury.Go Sooners!!!

Exactly!! To me it just seems like Sherry wants it her way and be damned if we lose a game, or 22, because of it. I don't think I saw much perimeter defense all season, no matter how many times they stressed implementing it in their press conferences. Maybe they just lacked the speed (Shaina excluded) or athleticism to enforce it. I mean if you have an attitude problem, that's toxic and we're better off without her, but we will never know. Point is, we don't have enough quality on the team to afford to lose good players. I really hope this changes with the new coaches coming in!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:42 PM   #53
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Even the toughest, most determined player knows when they "really" have a chance to play. It's pretty clear in practices and in games.

My belief, which is just my opinion, is Shaina could have done everything right in practice and still would never seen the floor. She did some pretty decent things the last time she played. She tried to defend (and she's just as good at defense as anyone else on this squad, as far as I can tell from watching and re-watching the games). She scored in double digits in a very brief span and she still did the same dribbling into the lane and putting up a shot against three taller defenders. She also passed the ball more than she did before being benched.

Ultimately, she challenged the coach, and whether Sherri is right or wrong, when you challenge the boss, you aren't going to get paid or played.

Everyone saw the writing on the wall, why would she not be able to figure it out? Her attitude on the bench clearly indicated to me she knew what the score was and was going to be.

Looks to me like Sherri made it pretty plain from the get-go.

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 03-12-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #54
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Let's see. Texas Tech scored over 100 points in our last game and Pellington was not responsible for a single point given up.

And the hits just keep on coming. Mulkey was named Conference USA defensive player of the year with over 70 blocked shots.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #55
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Let's see. Texas Tech scored over 100 points in our last game and Pellington was not responsible for a single point given up.

And the hits just keep on coming. Mulkey was named Conference USA defensive player of the year with over 70 blocked shots.
I like Nancy. But, she had to be where she is.

http://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?g...er_seq=1847037

Look at her stats last year and this year. Both Mandy and Madi had more rebounds per game than Nancy did. You saw how Nancy did in conference games last year. In the Big Twelve conference, would she have been able to hold her own? The dominant teams in her conference were the type of teams that we did beat, like Western Kentucky. We needed something more than Nancy. She is a nice sub who can change the flow. But, she wouldn't have been any better than Mandy against Brown and Cox. The one team that she might have been valuable against was Tech.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #56
sybarite
National Champion

I just looked up the lineups of the teams in Nancy's conference. One team has a 6-4 post, Western Kentucky. Three have a 6-3 post. One has nobody over 5-10, and they were 16-13. Two had 6-0 posts. One had a 6-1. The rest were 6-2. Nancy is 6-9 playing in a conference that is about the size of highschool teams.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #57
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I just looked up the lineups of the teams in Nancy's conference. One team has a 6-4 post, Western Kentucky. Three have a 6-3 post. One has nobody over 5-10, and they were 16-13. Two had 6-0 posts. One had a 6-1. The rest were 6-2. Nancy is 6-9 playing in a conference that is about the size of highschool teams.
I agree. Mulkey was never an answer to any of the needs OU had that would elevate the program. However Dungee was a quality player and would be a positive addition if still a Sooner.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 03-13-2019 at 09:54 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #58
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I agree. Mulkey was never an answer to any of the needs OU had that would elevate the program. However Dungee was a quality player.
Dungee was more valuable, although both had potential useful roles. But, Dungee isn't exactly all-world as some seem to want to believe.

Keep in mind that she is now under a coach who loves a scoring guard, builds around them---Kelsey Plum, e.g. Perfect type of coach for a Dungee who wants to be a star. But, Plum was a great ball handler. Chelsea has more TO than assists. Plum shot about 52% from the field, about 43% from three, and about 89% from the line. Dungee is about 42%, 33%, and 82% respectively. Chelsea is almost as good of a rebounder. But, Plum had something like 168 assists to Dungee's 53. Plum also scored about ten points more per game. Lot of difference. Let's say that Chelsea is a poor boy's Plum.

Having watched the past three months of Ana, I'm inclined to think that she would have been the better neo-Plum than Chelsea, but I doubt Sherri builds one player that much again. Nobody else seems to know what to do if that player is covered. We beat Plum every time until she had a little help from a forward and post as a senior. But, I think Ana is a better ball handler, distributor, and potential rebounder, and she gets the importance of one thing that Dungee didn't---and hasn't---defense.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #59
Mac
Administrator

I have to dissagree, Nancy would have been a big help at OU this year, even if she avg 1 block and 5 rebounds she would have still given other times something to worry about in the middle, project or not. Also was the big 12 really that more dominant then Conference USA?
Old 03-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #60
sybarite
National Champion

I think Rice was undefeated in CUSA. I think they would probably have finished behind Baylor, Iowa State, Texas, Kansas State. Probably about where West Virginia or Oklahoma State was. We lost to UAB, but beat Western Kentucky, both of whom were near the top of CUSA.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #61
inoref
All-American

I agree a little to what some say about Dungee, I think if she stayed with Sherri & Colton she wouldn't be any better this year. Now if you take Dungee away from Arkansas this year then yes, she would help the team at least one year before the Coales screwed her up
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #62
sybarite
National Champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4mIONS51E
Old 03-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #63
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
What does he know!!!!!!

Something he said reminded me of some of my daughter's experiences.

After games, kids would invariably come up to their middle school coach and ask, "How many points did I score?" He would look at his stat sheet and say, you hit xx% of your shots. He never told them how many points they scored. He cared more about the percentage.

By the time those girls got to high school. they didn't care about how many points they scored. They cared about taking good shots and hitting a good percentage. Hitting 2 of 4 was better than hitting 2 of 10.

In high school, they played with girls who didn't care about anything but how many points they scored. As long as they played well, they didn't care about the outcome of the game. It was a thoroughly miserable experience for the rest of the team.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #64
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
So why did SC recruit SP in the first place and what happened between her freshman and sophomores years?
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #65
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
So why did SC recruit SP in the first place and what happened between her freshman and sophomores years?
Actually many of the same issues were easily visible last year too. Just many fans were not willing to see them. Plus she was a freshman and you hope a kid will learn. Ana was the better player and teammate last year too, but some get fooled by a player who plays only to score.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #66
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
Actually many of the same issues were easily visible last year too. Just many fans were not willing to see them. Plus she was a freshman and you hope a kid will learn. Ana was the better player and teammate last year too, but some get fooled by a player who plays only to score.
+1
Old 03-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #67
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Amen! And most of the time, they do learn.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #68
Mac
Administrator

Quote:
Who said Shay was a bad kid? She wasn’t kicked off the team, people are making things up as the go along....
Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #69
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
She was Big 12 Freshman of the Year. I guess others besides fans were fooled.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #70
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerstar View Post
She was Big 12 Freshman of the Year. I guess others besides fans were fooled.
Being Big 12 Freshman of the Year and what Sweetest OU Girl described aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #71
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I would definitely think Geno knows more than pretty much anyone posting on this board. About the game. I do agree SP play selfishly and never looked to pass and probably cares more about how she did rather than if the team even one. I think it was more visible this season but definitely could see it last year. I wish it weren't the case. That's the only reasoning I can think of for her being benched. And I'm pretty sure that's why she wasn't ranked highly in her class. At least in in the overall hoopgurlz rankings...
Old 03-20-2019, 07:31 PM   #72
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

I agree completely. 06.

And it's something she could have learned given how fast and athletic she is.

Hopefully she will develop that at her next stop. If so, she will be a great addition to her next team.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #73
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I think having a year off to really find herself as a player will definitely help it seems to have helped Mulkey and Dungee. She will probably have to humble herself majorly because her second shot is all she's going to get. I suppose she could transfer a second time and sit out another year after 2 years from now but who would really want to!
Old 03-21-2019, 08:05 AM   #74
Soonerbay
Role Player

Hoping the best for her where ever she lands next. There are all types of factors involved when a transfer happens; lack of maturity, homesick, lack of chemistry with coach and/or team, academic challenges, social challenges combined with full-time athletics and full-time academics...and then it just doesn't work out. A new spot is sometimes what the doctor ordered and lessons learned. Many of these things are not happening or discovered during recruiting. Sometimes it gets worked out (as GenoA stated with BStewart) and sometimes it doesn't and it's time to move on for the student-athlete. Stuff happens...doesn't make her a bad person. There's SC's perspective, SPellington's perspective and both make decisions best for them individually. SPellington was the FOY...she can't be all bad.
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #75
inoref
All-American

If Nancy wasn't big 12 type of player then why did SC recruit her? I'm not saying she was or wasn't but it seems some folks feel like she wasn't. Could it be Sherri isn't a very good judge of talent anymore?
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote