ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
TulsaWorld
Walk-on

Default Sooners part ways with guard Shaina Pellington

Quote:
Oklahoma sophomore Shaina Pellington has been granted permission to transfer by womenís basketball coach Sherri Coale, the school announced on Monday.

Pellington, the Big 12ís freshman of the year in 2017-18, averaged 13.0 points per game. She appeared in 23 contests and had 12 starts.

It appeared there was a late-season falling out between the program and Pellington, who also sat out a Feb. 2 game due to a violation of team rules. The Pickering, Ontario, Canada player didnít see action in the seasonís final five games.
Link
Old 03-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
inoref
All-American

Default Re: Sooners part ways with guard Shaina Pellington

Will they be more to follow?????
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Mac
Administrator

I hope not, but I can think of one girl who could get a lot more playing tome closer to home...
Old 03-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
TheMont
Role Player

I can't say that this is a surprise at all, unfortunately. Will always wonder what could've been.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Agreed. What could have been indeed.

Definitely not surprised, can't say I blame her for wanting to go elsewhere either. I hope this is the only transfer announcement but won't be surprised if it is not.

I will say that Pellington was not a very good distributor of the ball and a little selfish, at times wanting to take over games. had she been a distributor as well, I could see all American potential in her. Maybe this next year off will give her time to reflect and make adjustments to her game and we will see her succeed elsewhere, like Dungee & Mulkey. It's a shame three of our probably five most promising commits in the recent years have transferred out..
Will we add to this incoming class now that we know for sure? My vote is we definitely need to.
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
sooner8
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerguy06 View Post
Agreed. What could have been indeed.

Definitely not surprised, can't say I blame her for wanting to go elsewhere either. I hope this is the only transfer announcement but won't be surprised if it is not.

I will say that Pellington was not a very good distributor of the ball and a little selfish, at times wanting to take over games. had she been a distributor as well, I could see all American potential in her. Maybe this next year off will give her time to reflect and make adjustments to her game and we will see her succeed elsewhere, like Dungee & Mulkey. It's a shame three of our probably five most promising commits in the recent years have transferred out..
Will we add to this incoming class now that we know for sure? My vote is we definitely need to.
Yes it is a shame that SC can't seem to keep some of her most highly recruited players as of late.We witnessed this year what happens when the heart of your team transfers out.We can all critique some part of a players game,but it is up to the coaching staff to pinpoint what players need to work on & help them get better.Personally I think this coaching staff is lazy & just doesn't give a crapp.That may sound harsh,but I think most would agree.
sooner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
Soonerfan3205
Walk-on

Sooner8, SMH. Really? I don’t!
Soonerfan3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
sooner8
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerfan3205 View Post
Sooner8, SMH. Really? I donít!
Thats OK,We all can have an opinion.That's what makes sites like this so great!Go Sooners!!!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #9
sybarite
National Champion

Soonerfan3205 has had inside information about this situation. I don't know if the players would have welcomed her back. Similar to Dungee situation. Mulkey was a bit different. Emotional needs.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8 View Post
Yes it is a shame that SC can't seem to keep some of her most highly recruited players as of late.We witnessed this year what happens when the heart of your team transfers out.We can all critique some part of a players game,but it is up to the coaching staff to pinpoint what players need to work on & help them get better.Personally I think this coaching staff is lazy & just doesn't give a crapp.That may sound harsh,but I think most would agree.
Doesn't sound harsh to me.

It sounds like someone talking through his hat just to hear his head rattle.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #11
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post

+1
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #12
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaWorld View Post
The sad part of this article is that it says that Shaina needed Sherri's approval. Under the current system, all she had to do was enter the transfer portal. Sherri had no say what so ever!!!!
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Who else do folks think may transfer?

Ana -No
Robertson - No
Murcer - minuscule possibility
TV - possible: wonít be on court much
Williams - possible: frankly, she should
Simpson -Nope
Williston - Should:will never see the floor
Lampkin ó perhaps, if she can better
Bloom ó she stay for at least one more
Donica - if she ever wants to actually play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #14
euphguy
Starter

It was certainly predictable. If the Sooners had a winning record then I wouldn't see it as a big deal. However, Shaina's (in)ability to distribute the ball clearly correlates with the demise of the team's record. IMO, it reflects more of Sherri's inability to hone and use Shaina's talent than Shaina's (in)ability to be an effective teammate. Oh well. It will be interesting to see what next year has in store.
euphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #15
sooner8
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post

Sounds as though you like the state of the Womens BB program.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #16
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Default Sooners part ways with guard Shaina Pellington

Sherri also has at least 3 roster spots available, actually more, she better bring some kids in:

- Another strong shooting forward
- At least one if not two centers who can
score and rebound: minimum 6-3 or 6-4
- A real point guard
- A back up for Ana

Anyone willing to bet she doesnít add anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 03-11-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #17
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
The sad part of this article is that it says that Shaina needed Sherri's approval. Under the current system, all she had to do was enter the transfer portal. Sherri had no say what so ever!!!!
The article you referenced may have been just poorly written by Eric Bailey and if so he should know better as he implied something that may not have occurred as the article linked below in The Oklahoman written by Ryan Aber suggest a different perspective. It merely says Sherri Coale announced that Shaina Pellington has decided to transfer.

I have been unable to find a written copy of Sherri's announcement from the university or see a video of her announcement so who knows.

https://newsok.com/article/5625538/o...ransfer-monday

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 03-12-2019 at 05:26 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #18
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8 View Post
Agree 100%
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #19
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Well, we need to follow wherever she goes because if she all of a sudden doesn't have an attitude program and if she lights it up for the her new team --- then I'd say we have a pretty good who was the problem and who wasn't.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #20
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
The article you referenced may have been just poorly written by Eric Bailey and he should know better as he implied something that did not occur as the article linked below in The Oklahoman suggest. It merely says Sherri Coale announced that Shaina Pellington has decided to transfer.

I have been unable to find a formal copy of Sherri's announcement from the university so who knows.

https://newsok.com/article/5625538/o...ransfer-monday
We have no idea as to exactly what played out here. But I do recall when our backup QB planned to transfer, Riley's permission (delayed for a while) opened additional possibilities that were not available until the coach gave his permission.

Who can remind all our angry posters what played out for him?
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #21
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I don't really care about what happened with the football transfer I just hope that instead of settling for 11 players on next year's roster (assuming no one else transfers in the meantime), SC goes out and grabs a couple legitimate girls with size so we at least don't have that glaring weakness next season. I would love for her to get one big girl and one legitimate point card to put us at 13, but I doubt she would actually go with another big class like that again. Even though at this point it's Do or die..
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #22
22dupree
Walk-on

Good luck to Shaina!
Hope she lands in a positive space where she’s able to flourish.
22dupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #23
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
We have no idea as to exactly what played out here. But I do recall when our backup QB planned to transfer, Riley's permission (delayed for a while) opened additional possibilities that were not available until the coach gave his permission.

Who can remind all our angry posters what played out for him?
Different thing, that was an within conference transfer to West Virginia. The conference has a second set of rules. If Shaina transfers to Baylor then she needs approval.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #24
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Different thing, that was an within conference transfer to West Virginia. The conference has a second set of rules. If Shaina transfers to Baylor then she needs approval.
So, why is it a different thing?

That is like saying yes she got to shoot 2 free throws when she was fouled, but this is different since she got to shoot 2 free throws when she was fouled.

I do not know if SC actually gave permission, but if she did (or does) it impacts the options SP has in her transfer. Same thing actually - if that rule carries over to WBB.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #25
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
So, why is it a different thing?

That is like saying yes she got to shoot 2 free throws when she was fouled, but this is different since she got to shoot 2 free throws when she was fouled.

I do not know if SC actually gave permission, but if she did (or does) it impacts the options SP has in her transfer. Same thing actually - if that rule carries over to WBB.
The only place she can limit is the Big 12. If Shaina wants to transfer within the Big 12 then Sherri HAS to approve, anywhere else and it is open game.