ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > NBA Hoops Talk Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,438
Default Durant to Warriors

Saw on facebook that Durant announced he is signing with the Warriors. Must have thought he had a better chance at a championship there.

Durant's statement:


"This has been by far the most challenging few weeks in my professional life. I understood cognitively that I was facing a crossroads in my evolution as a player and as a man, and that it came with exceptionally difficult choices. What I didn’t truly understand, however, was the range of emotions I would feel during this process.

The primary mandate I had for myself in making this decision was to have it based on the potential for my growth as a player — as that has always steered me in the right direction. But I am also at a point in my life where it is of equal importance to find an opportunity that encourages my evolution as a man: moving out of my comfort zone to a new city and community which offers the greatest potential for my contribution and personal growth. With this in mind, I have decided that I am going to join the Golden State Warriors.

I’m from Washington, D.C. originally, but Oklahoma City truly raised me. It taught me so much about family as well as what it means to be a man. There are no words to express what the organization and the community mean to me, and what they will represent in my life and in my heart forever. The memories and friendships are something that go far beyond the game. Those invaluable relationships are what made this deliberation so challenging.

It really pains me to know that I will disappoint so many people with this choice, but I believe I am doing what I feel is the right thing at this point in my life and my playing career.

I will miss Oklahoma City, and the role I have had in building this remarkable team. I will forever cherish the relationships within the organization — the friends and teammates that I went to war with on the court for nine years, and all the fans and people of the community. They have always had my back unconditionally, and I cannot be more grateful for what they have meant to my family and to me."
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 07-04-2016 at 10:14 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #2
TheGimper
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,506
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Sooner fans should know better than to root for a Texas player.
TheGimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,909
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

he left because of the sorry state of the OKC and Oklahoma economy. Half of the Golden State pitch had to do with his potential business opportunities in a state with a booming economy while Oklahoma languishes in conservative crap. Thanks Okie voters.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 10,853
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

PG: Steph Curry
SG: Klay Thompson
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Draymond Green
C: Andrew Bogut

So instead of Harrison Barnes clanking wide open 3's out there because everyone collapses on Curry and Thompson, you will have Kevin Durant out there.

You hate to jump the gun here, but I really don't see how this team loses a 7 game series.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
furge
Walk-on
 
furge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 279
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Does this mean Golden State isn't going to match offers with Dallas on Barnes?
furge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
sheepdogs1
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
he left because of the sorry state of the OKC and Oklahoma economy. Half of the Golden State pitch had to do with his potential business opportunities in a state with a booming economy while Oklahoma languishes in conservative crap. Thanks Okie voters.
This had nothing to do with Okies.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #7
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 4,438
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
he left because of the sorry state of the OKC and Oklahoma economy. Half of the Golden State pitch had to do with his potential business opportunities in a state with a booming economy while Oklahoma languishes in conservative crap. Thanks Okie voters.
With Durant having earned about $250 million while in OKC and his having stated his decision would not be about money I have my doubts that money was a major consideration. Especially with several of the other cities he considered being able to pitch a much better endorsement opportunity than could Golden State. This decision is more about winning championships in my opinion.
__________________
Whether you think you can or think that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
zeptrey
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
With Durant having earned about $250 million while in OKC and his having stated his decision would not be about money I have my doubts that money was a major consideration. Especially with several of the other cities he considered being able to pitch a much better endorsement opportunity than could Golden State. This decision is more about winning championships in my opinion.
Totally agree really nothing to do with anything else...he took less money to go Golden State fwiw.

Can't beat em join em type of thing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
zeptrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
he left because of the sorry state of the OKC and Oklahoma economy. Half of the Golden State pitch had to do with his potential business opportunities in a state with a booming economy while Oklahoma languishes in conservative crap. Thanks Okie voters.
Solid troll job.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,909
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

1. Okies DID have something to do with the state of this state
2. Economics most certainly had a major role in this as did the sorry state of this state
3. you'd have to be insane to think he didn't have more opportunities in California right now. Their economy is skyrocketing. Let's not be in denial here.
4. OKC better look at trades for Westbrook NOW because he's going to the Lakers as soon as he can. Trade him to Philly for Simmons +.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #11
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,893
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
PG: Steph Curry
SG: Klay Thompson
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Draymond Green
C: Andrew Bogut

So instead of Harrison Barnes clanking wide open 3's out there because everyone collapses on Curry and Thompson, you will have Kevin Durant out there.

You hate to jump the gun here, but I really don't see how this team loses a 7 game series.
Bogut's probably going to be cut/traded to make room. Fezili is also likely gone.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
2. Economics most certainly had a major role in this as did the sorry state of this state
3. you'd have to be insane to think he didn't have more opportunities in California right now. Their economy is skyrocketing. Let's not be in denial here.
California is the place to be now? Taxes are through the roof, and every Lakers fan has been annoyed about that since Howard left (Bird Rights were negated by tax difference). Living in OKC didn't hinder KD's ginormous shoe deal from happening.

Quote:
4. OKC better look at trades for Westbrook NOW because he's going to the Lakers as soon as he can. Trade him to Philly for Simmons +.
A one year rental of RW is of almost no value at this point. Why would Philly give up Simmons? They still can't compete with the Cavs, let alone the Warriors. After the year, Russ walks and they lose out on two top 5 picks (Simmons + the lottery pick they would have gotten for sucking again). And you're suggesting they give up even more than just Simmons?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,893
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

KD felt like going to a team that's won it is better for him. But an underrated part of why they won a ring in Andrew Bogut is going to be gone. Not sure a team full of guards is really going to win titles.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #14
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 837
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
1. Okies DID have something to do with the state of this state
2. Economics most certainly had a major role in this as did the sorry state of this state
3. you'd have to be insane to think he didn't have more opportunities in California right now. Their economy is skyrocketing. Let's not be in denial here.
4. OKC better look at trades for Westbrook NOW because he's going to the Lakers as soon as he can. Trade him to Philly for Simmons +.
He is gaining so much by moving to one of the biggest crap cities in America. Oakland is about as low as you can go these days - more crime, gangs, and a dump of an arena.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #15
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,893
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
California is the place to be now? Taxes are through the roof, and every Lakers fan has been annoyed about that since Howard left (Bird Rights were negated by tax difference). Living in OKC didn't hinder KD's ginormous shoe deal from happening.



A one year rental of RW is of almost no value at this point. Why would Philly give up Simmons? They still can't compete with the Cavs, let alone the Warriors. After the year, Russ walks and they lose out on two top 5 picks (Simmons + the lottery pick they would have gotten for sucking again). And you're suggesting they give up even more than just Simmons?
Lakers are a complete mess right now. Just signed Lou Deng after drafting a 3 who probably needs to play as early and much as possible because he's extremely raw. Got Russell and Clarkson both playing point. sgs are trash and their center is now an average career backup.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #16
coolm
National Champion
 
coolm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,909
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
He is gaining so much by moving to one of the biggest crap cities in America. Oakland is about as low as you can go these days - more crime, gangs, and a dump of an arena.
Have you ever lived there? Oakland isn't just Oakland. It is Oakland + San Francisco + Alameda + San Jose + walnut creek et al and the Cali economy is skyrocketing.

You guys can live in denial and believe what you want. He's gone and the state of Oklahoma is why. I also think he was a coward for not girding his loins and getting back to the finals in OKC but as he said there were other nonbasketball factors involved.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #17
zeptrey
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
1. Okies DID have something to do with the state of this state
2. Economics most certainly had a major role in this as did the sorry state of this state
3. you'd have to be insane to think he didn't have more opportunities in California right now. Their economy is skyrocketing. Let's not be in denial here.
4. OKC better look at trades for Westbrook NOW because he's going to the Lakers as soon as he can. Trade him to Philly for Simmons +.
Not saying the economy doesn't suck...but the guy has a half billion dollar shoe deal, made 250 million of ball in OKC and has made tons of terrible movies and shoddy commercials. I'm definitely not in denial our economy is terrible...school system terrible. He's not hurting for dough he just thinks it'd be easier to win titles with the team he couldn't beat.

You just sound extremely butt hurt.

But should definitely look at trading Westbrook but I'm not sure I'd do it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
zeptrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #18
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,893
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

San Francisco may've played a role. But if GS had just been a team like Boston the last few years and essentially average he's staying in OKC. GSW going to a Finals and winning one is the reason he left. Didn't even look at any potential future because GS is gonna fall of fast having to pay almost all of their cap just for 4 players.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #19
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
KD felt like going to a team that's won it is better for him. But an underrated part of why they won a ring in Andrew Bogut is going to be gone. Not sure a team full of guards is really going to win titles.
Bogut is declining fast, and the fact that he even played a few games in the Finals means his health was better this year than most. While I'd tend to agree that Bogut's injury opened the door for the Cavs this year, I'd also tend to agree that his injury opened the door for the Warriors last year.

I'd actually venture to say the Warriors are a team "full of forwards" more so than guards. The only thing they're missing is a center, but the myth of needing a powerful 7-foot center to win a championship days are long gone. Tristan Thompson was 6'9 for the Cavs this year, Draymond Green was 6'7 for the Warriors the year before that, and do we even remember who the center was for those Heat teams?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #20
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,723
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

I've never understood why people form emotional attachments to pro teams. I'll always be happy when former OU players strike it rich in the pros, but the mercenary nature of pro sportss makes it impossible for me to care about the teams themselves.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #21
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 837
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolm View Post
Have you ever lived there? Oakland isn't just Oakland. It is Oakland + San Francisco + Alameda + San Jose + walnut creek et al and the Cali economy is skyrocketing.

You guys can live in denial and believe what you want. He's gone and the state of Oklahoma is why. I also think he was a coward for not girding his loins and getting back to the finals in OKC but as he said there were other nonbasketball factors involved.
Oakland is in such great shape they can't build a stadium for either the Raiders or the A's. Just this year - they had to postpone a A's game because of raw sewage in the dugout of the opposing team. The Raiders are trying their best to get out because there is no hope of a stadium. All happening in the economy that you say is so great. If we are talking SF then I agree but the other side of the bay in Oakland - not a chance.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #22
Larry72
Role Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 901
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

California is a liberal, politically correct pit with high taxes, terrible roads and schools. Maybe he likes Water and Power rationing. CA companies are moving to Texas every week.

His decision was to win a NBA title period.
Larry72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #23
Speedy17
Role Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 837
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry72 View Post
California is a liberal, politically correct pit with high taxes, terrible roads and schools. Maybe he likes Water and Power rationing. CA companies are moving to Texas every week.

His decision was to win a NBA title period.
I hope they get beat just for fun. You try to create a super team - the Warriors have a big problem in next year's free agency because both Curry and Durant may be free agents. A double max at 37M a year and there is only one basketball on the court. Durant's scoring will drop at least 5-7 points a game.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #24
NickZepp
National Champion
 
NickZepp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,893
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
I hope they get beat just for fun. You try to create a super team - the Warriors have a big problem in next year's free agency because both Curry and Durant may be free agents. A double max at 37M a year and there is only one basketball on the court. Durant's scoring will drop at least 5-7 points a game.
Big 4 for GS may be getting near 100 mil alone.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #25
Big Old Booger
Final Four
 
Big Old Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,469
Default Re: Durant to Warriors

I'm not a huge NBA fan so I don't follow it much but I do watch OKC when in the playoffs.

That said, to me KD has the exact same game as he had 9 years ago at UT. Can shoot the rock from outside, no back to the basket game, decent ballhandler but struggles vs smaller/shorter players who can cause his high dribble form problems, isn't a great rebounder. So, to me, he will never be "the guy" and he proved it in games 6 and 7 vs GS when he killed us down the stretch. I think the way this worked out OKC is left holding the bag because we weren't able to deal him when he knew he wasn't returning a long time ago.

Long term, I think OKC can be better off without him but attracting a star to OKC is going to be a problem because it doesn't offer that of big markets.
__________________
---------------------
“Year in and year out, Lon Kruger is as good a coach as there is in the country. His teams are always well-prepared and never take a night off.”

Fran Fraschilla
---------------------
Big Old Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com