ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

She is paid just over a million dollars per year for what she brings to the table the last 5 years is maddening. She should make about $300,000 per and no more. Not recruiting well now and attendance is way down and get's out coached a lot of the time. I believe the same thing can be said of her that they have blasted Stoops with.

Just saying that for a cool million per year we could get better. Think she has gotten comfy.

OK all the homers can blast away BUT that won't make what I said not true!!
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
oketex
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 426
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

But she dresses nicely.
oketex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
BigT14
Role Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 562
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny78 View Post
She is paid just over a million dollars per year for what she brings to the table the last 5 years is maddening. She should make about $300,000 per and no more. Not recruiting well now and attendance is way down and get's out coached a lot of the time. I believe the same thing can be said of her that they have blasted Stoops with.

Just saying that for a cool million per year we could get better. Think she has gotten comfy.

OK all the homers can blast away BUT that won't make what I said not true!!
Not recruited well? I would have to disagree.
BigT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sooner Heaven
Posts: 1,792
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Well in the big scheme of the world all coaches are overpaid - way overpaid.

But that is due to the values of members of our society - including you - by suggesting coaches are worth $300,000 per year. How many social workers have you argued for making $300,000 per year - or even $50,000? We would much rather reward a coach than a couple who foster disadvantaged kids - often literally saving their lives. Coaches are valued by parents far more than teachers who spend a career teaching their kids. Etc. It goes on and on. Most members of American society think coaches & athletes are better people, more worthy, more to be worshiped than anyone else in society. Otherwise they would not allow the disparity in salaries. All societies do not do that - but our current one does.

However, Sherri is not the one responsible for that. If a person ever utters the words - "coaches and athletes are worth what they are paid" he/she is the ones responsible. Sherri brings a lot to the table for OU. Recruiting is tricky. If a person is unwilling to bring a lot of baggage (personality problems, drug problems, moral flaws, etc.) into their program it is harder to win.

I would argue the loss tonight is not to be laud totally on her shoulders. She was not the one who kept making stupid bounce passes into the middle of the lane. She did not throw the ball 60 feet down the court - creating a foolish turnover - when we were desperately trying to make a comeback. She did not shoot 53% at the line. She did not miss what felt like a million layups.

Admittedly everyone bears some responsibility - including the coaches. But I was impressed they found some inner reserve that kept them from getting destroyed in the 2nd half. Lesser character teams would have likely done that.

Let me be clear. I am not defending what the girls allowed to happen tonight. But the fact is Baylor played over their heads tonight. We played below ours. For a while we could not buy a basket - even on easy wide open shots. Choke a bit for a while? Maybe. Or perhaps just bad luck. Sometimes the shots just won't go in. I don't know which it was.

But the 2nd half we played them even (47-46). And Baylor never called off the dogs. They were still trying to run it up with a few seconds left. I can take some small amount of solace in that.

Last edited by Sweetest OU Girl; 02-11-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT14 View Post
Not recruited well? I would have to disagree.
Over the last 5 years tell me a top say 15 recruit like she used to get.

And developing the girls she get's as well
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,334
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Vinnys back. That means OU lost. No other comment necessary.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #7
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
Well in the big scheme of the world all coaches are overpaid - way overpaid.

But that is due to the values of members of our society - including you - by suggesting coaches are worth $300,000 per year. How many social workers have you argued for making $300,000 per year - or even $50,000? We would much rather reward a coach than a couple who foster disadvantaged kids - often literally saving their lives. Coaches are valued by parents far more than teachers who spend a career teaching their kids. Etc. It goes on and on. Most members of American society think coaches & athletes are better people, more worthy, more to be worshiped than anyone else in society. Otherwise they would not allow the disparity in salaries. All societies do not do that - but our current one does.

However, Sherri is not the one responsible for that. If a person ever utters the words - "coaches and athletes are worth what they are paid" he/she is the ones responsible. Sherri brings a lot to the table for OU. Recruiting is tricky. If a person is unwilling to bring a lot of baggage (personality problems, drug problems, moral flaws, etc.) into their program it is harder to win.

I would argue the loss tonight is not to be laud totally on her shoulders. She was not the one who kept making stupid bounce passes into the middle of the lane. She did not throw the ball 60 feet down the court - creating a foolish turnover - when we were desperately trying to make a comeback. She did not shoot 53% at the line. She did not miss what felt like a million layups.

Admittedly everyone bears some responsibility - including the coaches. But I was impressed they found some inner reserve that kept them from getting destroyed in the 2nd half. Lesser character teams would have likely done that.

Let me be clear. I am not defending what the girls allowed to happen tonight. But the fact is Baylor played over their heads tonight. We played below ours. For a while we could not buy a basket - even on easy wide open shots. Choke a bit for a while? Maybe. Or perhaps just bad luck. Sometimes the shots just won't go in. I don't know which it was.

But the 2nd half we played them even (47-46). And Baylor never called off the dogs. They were still trying to run it up with a few seconds left. I can take some small amount of solace in that.

We should feel good that they scored 47 points in a half? And i can show you a ton of really good coaches who recruit better than us and are nit taking thugs.

My point is she has gotten lazy and her staff. If you went to hunt for a new coach with a million per year you would have tons of really good options!
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
BigT14
Role Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 562
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny78 View Post
Over the last 5 years tell me a top say 15 recruit like she used to get.

And developing the girls she get's as well
Gabbi #13
Kornet was 20 close enough
Manning was 34 still good recruit

Not to mention she has
Mulkey and Dungee coming in 2016 both highly recruited
Plus Llanusa in 2017

They may not be top 15 but still good recuits beung recruited by the top schools. We could go in circles about this but if rather not waste my time.
BigT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Vinnys back. That means OU lost. No other comment necessary.
Your a Moron, lol. Syb the know it all (in his or her own mind). Been here all along loser, check my posts. Gee - huh - i posted in wins and loses. Wow.

You are one of the "homers" i mentioned in my initial post. You can't handle any critical comment Ever, lol. Get your panties in a wad every time. Syb, it's part of life, if she doesn't want critical reviews she should go flip burgers at McDonalds. When you make a million per you better be prepared for some. Shoot Syb you must have never worked in the real world as you get reviews and critical reviews no matter where you work.

Anyhow, thanks for validating my comment, lol
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,334
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT14 View Post
Gabbi #13
Kornet was 20 close enough
Manning was 34 still good recruit

Not to mention she has
Mulkey and Dungee coming in 2016 both highly recruited
Plus Llanusa in 2017

They may not be top 15 but still good recuits beung recruited by the top schools. We could go in circles about this but if rather not waste my time.
No point in trying logic with the visitors.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
mystery32
Role Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 511
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny78 View Post
We should feel good that they scored 47 points in a half? And i can show you a ton of really good coaches who recruit better than us and are nit taking thugs.

My point is she has gotten lazy and her staff. If you went to hunt for a new coach with a million per year you would have tons of really good options!
I would have to agree with you on this one. It's kind of like she gets "Lucky" every now and then but she is Definitley Lazy when it comes to recruiting.
Ask yourself this. Sherri is paid over 1 mil for coaching. Mulkey is paid over 2.2 million. When is the last time Mulkey just got destroyed by an opponent ?
On top of that this is Mulkeys Rebuilding year!.
They have 1 senior!!!!!! And so does OU! Youth is not a factor when you have a good coach! And staff who recruits there but off Reguardless of who fits what and so on. If you can play then you can play. That is my philosophy.
mystery32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #12
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT14 View Post
Gabbi #13
Kornet was 20 close enough
Manning was 34 still good recruit

Not to mention she has
Mulkey and Dungee coming in 2016 both highly recruited
Plus Llanusa in 2017

They may not be top 15 but still good recuits beung recruited by the top schools. We could go in circles about this but if rather not waste my time.
Don't see any top 5's like she has gotten? And if she has recruited so well then she must not be coaching so well. 8 losses so far fir a great recruiter.

Again, Joe C with a million per in his pocket could get better
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sooner Heaven
Posts: 1,792
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny78 View Post
We should feel good that they scored 47 points in a half? And i can show you a ton of really good coaches who recruit better than us and are nit taking thugs.

My point is she has gotten lazy and her staff. If you went to hunt for a new coach with a million per year you would have tons of really good options!
Come on Vinny.

If a team is trying to score lots of points and is not trying to hold the ball a long time, both teams score a lot. Sure we could have stalled in the second half and held them to 30-35, but doing that would have been giving up.


Which social worker or foster parent or maybe someone like my dad who put his life flat on the line to save yours from America's enemies are you pressing to pay $1,000,000 to? Are they worth a million a year to you? Or just coaches and athletes?
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #14
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
Come on Vinny.

If a team is trying to score lots of points and is not trying to hold the ball a long time, both teams score a lot. Sure we could have stalled in the second half and held them to 30-35, but doing that would have been giving up.


Which social worker or foster parent or maybe someone like my dad who put his life flat on the line to save yours from America's enemies are you pressing to pay $1,000,000 to? Are they worth a million a year to you? Or just coaches and athletes?
No one is worth it lol. And my point was we still didn't play a lick of D the second half
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
BanjoCharley
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,309
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

That would be you're a moron, and you are. Lol
__________________
While you are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.
BanjoCharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #16
SoonerinNC
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,529
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Suprised Bay hasn't weighed in on this.

Obviously Joe C disagrees with Vinny. Let's see. How many winning coaches has Vinny hired.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16
 
Oliver Hardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,619
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Everyone who comes here knows I have given Sherri a lot of butt kickings, and praise too. I was really off of her last season, and was right to be for the product she turned out. I think the last few seasons just kind of hit her all at once. That's her fault, though.

For the last two recruiting seasons, however, I think Sherri has done the best job that she perhaps has ever done. I know she's coached her tail off this season, even though we sucked in pre-season for a lot of reasons.

As far as coaching, you look how the ladies performed in pre-season as compared to how they have been playing in conference until tonight and I think Sherri has done a pretty decent job of turning out a competitive product given our youth and continued stupid mistakes.

Yes, we are in a slump right now. We are in a tough part of the schedule too. It's like we have just hit a brick wall.

When Kaylon only takes five shots and makes only two; when Goyia and Sharane disappear (like they've been doing for the last few games), tonight is what's going to happen.

If we exit this slump, play well in the other games we have coming up (Baylor is a sure loss in Norman), and have a decent tournament and make the Dance, then I'd say that's been a pretty good season given the reality of this team.

Now, if they go off the deep end and drop everyone of their remaining games, then I'm going to start wondering a bit again.

But not now.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #18
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,723
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Have to come here and get my daily dose of people overreacting.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #19
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,226
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Have to come here and get my daily dose of people overreacting.
Like clockwork! Priceless!!!

__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #20
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,226
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Suprised Bay hasn't weighed in on this.

Obviously Joe C disagrees with Vinny. Let's see. How many winning coaches has Vinny hired.
Give it time! The non-regular posters just sit and wait for this! Glad we kept them off as long as we did!

Joe C is the best AD in the business!
__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #21
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Suprised Bay hasn't weighed in on this.

Obviously Joe C disagrees with Vinny. Let's see. How many winning coaches has Vinny hired.
So for a million bucks you think this is what we should have? Following up on last year. Oh I guess Joe C is the end all be all haha. I think everyone makes mistakes and in his case it is worrying that she would leave and giving her too much money - tell me any school that would come and try to hire her away. Not even for a million - how about $500,000? No one. She is outside her pay scale- again all you haters, what is on the market for a million per? If you will be honest, and most of you won't, many better options.
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #22
tycat947
Elite Eight
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 5,226
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Vinnys back. That means OU lost. No other comment necessary.
Ain't it the truth???

__________________
Quote:
If you spent half as much time in defending the team you claim to support, posters here might actually believe you're an OU fan. You're all over any mention of ............., but rarely say anything good about the Sooners. Even when you do, you're quick to throw in a backhanded positive to dilute its impact.
Quote:
...They are never around to support the team during good times but they never miss an opportunity to complain.
Quote:
Some people think being negative makes them sound like an expert.
tycat947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #23
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
Give it time! The non-regular posters just sit and wait for this! Glad we kept them off as long as we did!

Joe C is the best AD in the business!
He's good but not the best. I see a lot better programs out there right now.
AND he makes mistakes like ALL of us!

And I have been on this board for 7+ years and go to many games. You all need a bigger dose of Non-regular posters as all you do is sit around and sing happy songs. Obviously none of you are managers in the real world since you don't understand how to look at the job someone's doing and evaluate it - you sunshine pumpers just sit there and say "yeah". And I laugh at you!
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #24
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
Ain't it the truth???

947 and Syb can't handle the truth - never have been able to!
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #25
Vinny78
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: Sherri is WAY over paid! Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Suprised Bay hasn't weighed in on this.

Obviously Joe C disagrees with Vinny. Let's see. How many winning coaches has Vinny hired.
By the way, I had some time with Joe C the other day and we DID discuss it. You all just sit here in your computer world singing happy songs.

By the way, he knows the situation isn't the best.

Also, Holder is in a similar bad spot in Stoolwater by overreacting and giving Ford too much and too long. Just sayin
Vinny78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com