ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #51
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Do you think she has the height to compete with SF in the Big 12???
I do but, she might surprise me and be able to play the 2. She is about the height of Sharane now and it is possible she will grow another inch or two. My thinking is, she may be better suited to guarding the 3 than she is a quicker 2. But, I am just trying to project where I think she will be 2 years from now and I could be completely wrong. I will be interested in what you and others think after seeing her play.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #52
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
I can tell you from personal knowledge - you are wrong about that.
Can you tell us about your experience?
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #53
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Since this turned out to be Taylor's highest scoring game, I am very glad I was able to watch it. It wasn't like Star-Spencer ignored Taylor, they tried to double team her a lot during the game.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:44 AM   #54
Oblivion
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 170
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
Since this turned out to be Taylor's highest scoring game, I am very glad I was able to watch it. It wasn't like Star-Spencer ignored Taylor, they tried to double team her a lot during the game.
Was she just that more physically stronger than the other guards at Star-Spencer???
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #55
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Was she just that more physically stronger than the other guards at Star-Spencer???
Yes. She is very powerful and they could not keep her from going inside. She would either shoot from outside, split the double teams to get inside, or go around the double team to get inside. It didn't seem to matter what the defense did, they couldn't stop her.

Her strength is a tremendous asset but her determination to get inside was amazing. I remember DRob having that strong will to get inside and get to the rim. Taylor is even more determined to do so.

I know some are wondering if she can do that against D-1 competition. Only time will tell. But, my thinking is, yes. Her team did not do a great job of spreading the court. The interior was often cluttered with bodies and Taylor still managed to get inside. I believe in college where Taylor is playing with better teammates and players who can spread the floor, she should be able to get inside as well. I don't expect her to get by D-1 defenders as easily as she does high school players but I don't think they can keep her out of the lane all night by any means.

Here is my weak example of describing Taylor. All football fans are very familiar with Samaje Perine and how powerful he is and how easily he can run over your behind. That is what Taylor reminds me of. A very powerful girl who can run you over and no one wants to try to step in front of her and get knocked into the cheap seats. If a team had a player like Peyton trying to guard her, my opinion is, it would be a complete mismatch.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #56
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Actually, Taylor is built a lot like Perine.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #57
Oblivion
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 170
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
Actually, Taylor is built a lot like Perine.
Wow! I hope OU is on her list!!!! I would to see Sherri win a National Championship with players like Taylor, Ana and Jonah and the rest of the Oklahoma natives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This would prove we have some exceptional talent in our own backyard!
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #58
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Wow! I hope OU is on her list!!!! I would to see Sherri win a National Championship with players like Taylor, Ana and Jonah and the rest of the Oklahoma natives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This would prove we have some exceptional talent in our own backyard!
If we had commitments from Taylor, Wilson, Jo'Nah, Llanusa, Dungee, along with Nancy and Cox, they could start engraving that trophy now.

Yes, I know that is not going to happen but it's fun to dream!
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #59
Mac
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bay area ca
Posts: 3,560
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

looks like there will be a lot of talent in the 2017 class, it sounds like they Ana, Johnson and Roberts could all play together as well.
__________________
“The area you recruit from often has to do with the level your program has reached,” said Auriemma
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #60
Oblivion
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 170
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
looks like there will be a lot of talent in the 2017 class, it sounds like they Ana, Johnson and Roberts could all play together as well.
I really want to watch them play on the same AAU team this summer.....That should be fun to watch!
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #61
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

One player I haven't heard anything about in several months is Bethany Franks. Anyone have any idea what is going on with her recruiting?
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #62
Oblivion
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 170
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
One player I haven't heard anything about in several months is Bethany Franks. Anyone have any idea what is going on with her recruiting?
ACL injury!!! Out for the season!!! I feel bad for her same thing happened to her sister!
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:07 PM   #63
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
ACL injury!!! Out for the season!!! I feel bad for her same thing happened to her sister!
I hate to hear that. Hope she makes a complete recovery.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #64
Sooner85
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
ACL injury!!! Out for the season!!! I feel bad for her same thing happened to her sister!
Franks did not tear ACL, coach Neal of Norman reported she was only out for 6-8 weeks. I think he said it was surgery on menescius or a scope. This happened around Christmas I believe.
Sooner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #65
Oblivion
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 170
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner85 View Post
Franks did not tear ACL, coach Neal of Norman reported she was only out for 6-8 weeks. I think he said it was surgery on menescius or a scope. This happened around Christmas I believe.
Still a knee injury and she can't play until next season! I still feel bad for her and her teammates!
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #66
Oblivion
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 170
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
I do but, she might surprise me and be able to play the 2. She is about the height of Sharane now and it is possible she will grow another inch or two. My thinking is, she may be better suited to guarding the 3 than she is a quicker 2. But, I am just trying to project where I think she will be 2 years from now and I could be completely wrong. I will be interested in what you and others think after seeing her play.
SoonerNorm,
I see Classen plays Centennial to night I will make that game and tell you what happened during the game.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #67
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
SoonerNorm,
I see Classen plays Centennial to night I will make that game and tell you what happened during the game.
Great! I look forward to your thoughts about her.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #68
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
SoonerNorm,
I see Classen plays Centennial to night I will make that game and tell you what happened during the game.
According to this schedule, Classen does not play until Tues. night. Of course, this schedule might be off but thought you might want to double check.

http://www.classenschoolcomets.com/s...rls/basketball
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #69
Oblivion
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 170
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
According to this schedule, Classen does not play until Tues. night. Of course, this schedule might be off but thought you might want to double check.

http://www.classenschoolcomets.com/s...rls/basketball
I saw it in todays paper and just called the school to verify, they are playing at 6 pm
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:31 PM   #70
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I saw it in todays paper and just called the school to verify, they are playing at 6 pm
Okay, good! Sorry for the confusion.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #71
Oblivion
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 170
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

I just got back from the game. Here is my impression of Taylor:

Size and body: She is every bit of 5’10 maybe 5’11. She is just physically bigger and stronger than the other girls. Centennial ran a gimmick defense like a box and 1 Taylor ended up fouling four of the Centennial players out. Centennial tried to get physical with her even one player on Centennials team was even punching her in the back. She never lost her cool!!! I think that was very impressive that a player that young was able to keep her composure while Centennial was playing dirty! It was so bad the Centennial players would not even shake hands at the end of the game. The Centennial players started elbowing the coach of Classen when he was trying to shake their hands! Centennial had the poorest sportsmanship I’ve ever seen as a fan of high school basketball!!!

Shooting form: I agree her shooting stroke was a little unorthodox but accurate! She can flat out shoot her release was quick which hides the oddness of her shot.

Shooting accuracy: Taylor can score from anywhere on the court! She shot 23 of 28 from the free throw line. FG she shot 13 of 19 and 5 of 8 from the 3 point line.

Basketball IQ:
Taylor’s basketball IQ is probably 10 after watching her not react to the obvious dirty play of Centennial I will give her the extra point.

Area for improvement: I agree she needs to pick-up her defense but she does play the majority of the game. I believe with better talent she could be really good.

Comments: Taylor is really just a baby she has not even scratch the surface of her potential. I want to see how teams will handle her as senior in couple of years. If Taylor grows and continues to improve she maybe a McDonalds All-American or even the best scorer to come out of Oklahoma at the girls level! Taylor is the best 2017 girl in the state hands down! My opinion!


http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-...6PgrHljqzw.htm

Last edited by Oblivion; 01-30-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 05:23 AM   #72
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Great report! It sounds like the coach at Centennial should be fired for allowing the team to act like that.

Your opinion of Taylor is spot on with my impression. I am not concerned with her shooting form because she is very accurate and she gets her shot off quickly.

She is the most impressive sophomore I've ever seen in high school. I still hope to see Wilson and Johnson as I know both of them are really good too.

Thanks again for the info!
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:15 AM   #73
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

I would like to know how many high school girl players have scored 50 or more points in 3 games in their entire career, much less within 10 days as sophomores.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #74
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Code:
                 PPG      RPG     Stls/G   
Brittany Griner  27.5     12.3     2.6
Taylor Roberts   36.4      4.6     5.8

This is when Brittany was a senior while Taylor is a soph.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:07 AM   #75
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: Taylor Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I just got back from the game. Here is my impression of Taylor:

Size and body: She is every bit of 5’10 maybe 5’11. She is just physically bigger and stronger than the other girls. Centennial ran a gimmick defense like a box and 1 Taylor ended up fouling four of the Centennial players out. Centennial tried to get physical with her even one player on Centennials team was even punching her in the back. She never lost her cool!!! I think that was very impressive that a player that young was able to keep her composure while Centennial was playing dirty! It was so bad the Centennial players would not even shake hands at the end of the game. The Centennial players started elbowing the coach of Classen when he was trying to shake their hands! Centennial had the poorest sportsmanship I’ve ever seen as a fan of high school basketball!!!

Shooting form: I agree her shooting stroke was a little unorthodox but accurate! She can flat out shoot her release was quick which hides the oddness of her shot.

Shooting accuracy: Taylor can score from anywhere on the court! She shot 23 of 28 from the free throw line. FG she shot 13 of 19 and 5 of 8 from the 3 point line.

Basketball IQ:
Taylor’s basketball IQ is probably 10 after watching her not react to the obvious dirty play of Centennial I will give her the extra point.

Area for improvement: I agree she needs to pick-up her defense but she does play the majority of the game. I believe with better talent she could be really good.

Comments: Taylor is really just a baby she has not even scratch the surface of her potential. I want to see how teams will handle her as senior in couple of years. If Taylor grows and continues to improve she maybe a McDonalds All-American or even the best scorer to come out of Oklahoma at the girls level! Taylor is the best 2017 girl in the state hands down! My opinion!


http://www.maxpreps.com/games/girls-...6PgrHljqzw.htm
Which position do you think she will play in college?
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com