ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #51
35TangoTango
Sweet 16
 
35TangoTango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosooner2 View Post
I find it interesting that Sherri in her post game interviews never gives the other team credit for anything. It is usually about how badly we played if we lose and how great we played if we won. Not like most coaches but I guess each one uses a different style.
I think this post is extremely ill-informed. Sherri frequently credits the other team, win or lose. At the same time, her focus is on how we played, because that's the part under our control. In this she is pretty much like most coaches.
__________________
"It's not the critic who counts..." - Teddy Roosevelt
35TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #52
Sooner Cal
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 209
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoCharley View Post
This is the 21st century. Why is it so important for some of you to carp on what women wear?
I'm just guessing that my sarcasm went right over your head.

Basically, she didn't earn her pay today.
Sooner Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #53
BanjoCharley
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,309
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

That is what this is for:
__________________
While you are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.
BanjoCharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #54
gosooner2
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Inman SC
Posts: 354
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35TangoTango View Post
I think this post is extremely ill-informed. Sherri frequently credits the other team, win or lose. At the same time, her focus is on how we played, because that's the part under our control. In this she is pretty much like most coaches.
I can only suggest you go back and read her post game quotes (I did because it seemed like I was probably wrong). She may have one line about one little thing but I have seen no evidence of crediting the other team. I am not saying this is right or wrong just a different way from say Kruger.
gosooner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #55
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,334
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

When I see comments from Sherri, they tend to be concerned with what she can or can not influence. Good coaches have one concern, the performance of their team. She has mentioned the other teams, but usually in pre-game commentary. After the game, she seems to focus on what her team did or did not do that would have resulted in a better performance. This is the techinique of anyone who wishes to improve.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #56
KCRuf/Nek
All-American
 
KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairie Village, Ks.
Posts: 3,378
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Well I wish she'd start exerting some of that influence.
KCRuf/Nek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #57
35TangoTango
Sweet 16
 
35TangoTango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,871
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
Well I wish she'd start exerting some of that influence.
I think all things considered, she's exerted quite a bit of influence this year.
__________________
"It's not the critic who counts..." - Teddy Roosevelt
35TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #58
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,334
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

I mentioned that Sherri indicated that we lost four of our top seven players to injury. I also asked a question. What would Baylor look like if they lost Griner, Sims, and Williams? That really isn't a lot different from what happened to OU.

If I had to rank the ultimate value of each of the players on our team at year end, I would probably have said:
Whitney
Maddie
Vegas
Nicole Griffin
Morgan
Jo
Kay Kay
Sharane
Nicole Kornet

I don't know how to put Cloman in that top seven, but, apparently, Sherri did. But, I do think we lost our top two players (yes, I think Maddie was coming along to be that key of a player by the end of this year. In fact, I think she was our second best player at the time of her injury.)

I envisioned Nicole, Kay Kay, and Jo as being our presence inside. But, I didn't see us as an inside team. With Maddie, Vegas, Morgan, and Sharane, I saw this as a running team. Not only did we lose a very effective rebounder in Kay Kay (as well as just a presence), we lost our top two people who make things happen, both of whom happened to be all around type players.

Now, show me a team that can lose its top two players and be successful. Would Baylor even be in the top twenty five if they lost their top two? Stanford would be rather suspect with the loss of just one player. But, we still have a decent record and a chance to finish in the upper division of this conference, missing four of our top seven.

You think Sherri hasn't done a pretty good job? You think the talent we have retained isn't rather good? We're flirting with the top twenty-five with four of our top seven out. You think we don't have players and a coach?
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #59
gosooner2
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Inman SC
Posts: 354
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
When I see comments from Sherri, they tend to be concerned with what she can or can not influence. Good coaches have one concern, the performance of their team. She has mentioned the other teams, but usually in pre-game commentary. After the game, she seems to focus on what her team did or did not do that would have resulted in a better performance. This is the techinique of anyone who wishes to improve.
Since it is your quote i gather you think Lon does not wish to improve?
gosooner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #60
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,334
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosooner2 View Post
Since it is your quote i gather you think Lon does not wish to improve?
Now, that is nothing more than an attempt to provoke a response and initiate an argument. It is silly, and you know better.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #61
gosooner2
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Inman SC
Posts: 354
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
Now, that is nothing more than an attempt to provoke a response and initiate an argument. It is silly, and you know better.
Perhaps you should edit your posts a little closer. If you do not mean it do not say it! No response required!
gosooner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #62
sybarite
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,334
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosooner2 View Post
Perhaps you should edit your posts a little closer. If you do not mean it do not say it! No response required!
I said nothing about Kruger. Got it?
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #63
KCRuf/Nek
All-American
 
KCRuf/Nek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prairie Village, Ks.
Posts: 3,378
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35TangoTango View Post
I think all things considered, she's exerted quite a bit of influence this year.
All things considered, I get tired of us making the same mistakes over and over.
KCRuf/Nek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #64
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
All things considered, I get tired of us making the same mistakes over and over.
Although overall, I think Sherri has done a very good job so far this year with this team. However, you have touched on something that baffles me too. I do not understand why we never seem to improve in certain basic fundamentals (not just this team but previous teams as well). Either Sherri does not spend enough time in practice on those things or, the guys just don't get it, or if they do get it, can't remember what they've been taught when they get in games. These are smart, well educated, talented players. One would think they all have the capacity to follow simple instructions when it counts the most, on the court. Repeating the same mistakes is really frustrating.

I would love to read what the rest of you think about this subject.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #65
rocjunkie
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bethany, OK
Posts: 4,437
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
Although overall, I think Sherri has done a very good job so far this year with this team. However, you have touched on something that baffles me too. I do not understand why we never seem to improve in certain basic fundamentals (not just this team but previous teams as well). Either Sherri does not spend enough time in practice on those things or, the guys just don't get it, or if they do get it, can't remember what they've been taught when they get in games. These are smart, well educated, talented players. One would think they all have the capacity to follow simple instructions when it counts the most, on the court. Repeating the same mistakes is really frustrating.

I would love to read what the rest of you think about this subject.
It makes you think what these kids were taught before they accepted a college scholarship to play Division I basketball.

Rebounding: One of the basic priciples is blocking out, so why don't we do a good job of it?

Following your shot: Again very seldom does any of the kids do this.

Pump fakes: I don't know if it is even taught on the Jr. high or high school level any more.

Help side defense/off side help: Amazing how many times opposing players drive the lane with no defensive help, with exception to Jo, who is about the only kid who will take a charge.

Excessive dribbling: Maybe that is part of Sherri's offense, I don't know, but you can get the defense to move quicker with a pass than dribbling around the floor.

I could go on, but these are just some of the areas that frustrates me watching the Sooners. Granted we have been successful in spite of some of our lack of solid fundamentals. Are kids expected to know and retain these basic funadamentals when they get to college? I don't know. Just one man's observation. I am curious what every one else thinks.
rocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #66
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,723
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocjunkie View Post
It makes you think what these kids were taught before they accepted a college scholarship to play Division I basketball.

Rebounding: One of the basic priciples is blocking out, so why don't we do a good job of it?

Following your shot: Again very seldom does any of the kids do this.

Pump fakes: I don't know if it is even taught on the Jr. high or high school level any more.

Help side defense/off side help: Amazing how many times opposing players drive the lane with no defensive help, with exception to Jo, who is about the only kid who will take a charge.

Excessive dribbling: Maybe that is part of Sherri's offense, I don't know, but you can get the defense to move quicker with a pass than dribbling around the floor.

I could go on, but these are just some of the areas that frustrates me watching the Sooners. Granted we have been successful in spite of some of our lack of solid fundamentals. Are kids expected to know and retain these basic funadamentals when they get to college? I don't know. Just one man's observation. I am curious what every one else thinks.
Judging from watching middle school and high school games when my daughters played, I would say only 25% or less have coaches that stress the fundamentals. My daughters had good coaches in elementary and middle school and practiced fundamentals every day. Once they went to high school, their coach never, ever practiced fundamentals. Granted, he was a very bad coach, but judging from other teams I saw, his attitude towards the fundamentals wasn't unusual. AAU was just firing up as my daughters left basketball, but my impression is that most AAU coaches don't spend time on fundamentals, either.

I think that many, but not all, of the kids who are good enough to get a D1 scholarship offer, use their athleticism to overcome their poor fundamentals. Once they get into college, the college coaches are left to try to improve bad fundamentals that have become habit over the years.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #67
rocjunkie
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bethany, OK
Posts: 4,437
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Judging from watching middle school and high school games when my daughters played, I would say only 25% or less have coaches that stress the fundamentals. My daughters had good coaches in elementary and middle school and practiced fundamentals every day. Once they went to high school, their coach never, ever practiced fundamentals. Granted, he was a very bad coach, but judging from other teams I saw, his attitude towards the fundamentals wasn't unusual. AAU was just firing up as my daughters left basketball, but my impression is that most AAU coaches don't spend time on fundamentals, either.

I think that many, but not all, of the kids who are good enough to get a D1 scholarship offer, use their athleticism to overcome their poor fundamentals. Once they get into college, the college coaches are left to try to improve bad fundamentals that have become habit over the years.
Thanks MPS, that kind of tells me what I have always thought. On the AAU level its all about winning and not about teaching. That's too bad.
rocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #68
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,723
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocjunkie View Post
Thanks MPS, that kind of tells me what I have always thought. On the AAU level its all about winning and not about teaching. That's too bad.
I actually think part of the blame lies with the officials. They let high school kids get away with way to much and don't blow their whistles. There was one official in the Tulsa area that actually called walking and double dribbling quite consistently. If more officials did that, coaches would be forced to coach the fundamentals - unless they just didn't care if they won or lost games.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #69
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
I actually think part of the blame lies with the officials. They let high school kids get away with way to much and don't blow their whistles. There was one official in the Tulsa area that actually called walking and double dribbling quite consistently. If more officials did that, coaches would be forced to coach the fundamentals - unless they just didn't care if they won or lost games.
When I played, our coach had a whistle and he called fouls, walking, 3 seconds, making stupid passes (even if you got by with one), etc. I have a hard time believing coaches have gotten that far away from fundamentals because I know they are still taught in the courses coaches have to take in college. Now, I have no problem believing many AAU coaches don't teach fundamentals because I doubt they have the time to do so.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #70
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,723
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
When I played, our coach had a whistle and he called fouls, walking, 3 seconds, making stupid passes (even if you got by with one), etc. I have a hard time believing coaches have gotten that far away from fundamentals because I know they are still taught in the courses coaches have to take in college. Now, I have no problem believing many AAU coaches don't teach fundamentals because I doubt they have the time to do so.
All I can tell you is what I saw when my daughters played. Generally, the better fundamental basketball was played in the smaller classes. The girls weren't quite as bad as the boys, but it was a real problem. If people watching the games didn't know the fundamentals, they wouldn't have a clue because the officials didn't call it.

How many times have we read articles about the men's game where they talk about guys spending too much time perfecting their dunks and 3 point shooting and not enough time on the fundamentals of ball handling and their midrange game. Listen to how amazed the announcers are when male or female players have a good midrange game.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #71
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 19,033
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
All I can tell you is what I saw when my daughters played. Generally, the better fundamental basketball was played in the smaller classes. The girls weren't quite as bad as the boys, but it was a real problem. If people watching the games didn't know the fundamentals, they wouldn't have a clue because the officials didn't call it.

How many times have we read articles about the men's game where they talk about guys spending too much time perfecting their dunks and 3 point shooting and not enough time on the fundamentals of ball handling and their midrange game. Listen to how amazed the announcers are when male or female players have a good midrange game.
Having played under different coaches in basketball and baseball, I believe it is very reasonable to expect players to adjust to different coaches. My high school baseball coach played catcher in triple A baseball in the pros and he darn sure changed the way I played catcher. If I would have hung to my old habits, there is no way I would have seen any playing time, much less started.

I can't imagine Sherri saying to Maddie (or anyone else), "I really don't like how you do so and so but since that's the way you learned, I'm going to allow you to continue doing it that way".
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #72
BanjoCharley
Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,309
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Simple request Norm, let's start a new thread on this very interesting topic which is way off topic from the original post. I am sick of the topic title (not the really good discussion.)
__________________
While you are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.
BanjoCharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #73
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,723
Default Re: $$$$ Bedlam Part Deux $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
Having played under different coaches in basketball and baseball, I believe it is very reasonable to expect players to adjust to different coaches. My high school baseball coach played catcher in triple A baseball in the pros and he darn sure changed the way I played catcher. If I would have hung to my old habits, there is no way I would have seen any playing time, much less started.

I can't imagine Sherri saying to Maddie (or anyone else), "I really don't like how you do so and so but since that's the way you learned, I'm going to allow you to continue doing it that way".
I'm not saying that's what Sherri says. I'm saying that some of these kids come to college needing to learn fundamental skills and make them habits. Some arrive with some really bad habits they have to 'unlearn'. This is the problem college coaches are faced with. I never go to practice. I never see what the girls work on by themselves. But I can't imagine Sherri not addressing these issues. Some players are going to adjust better than others.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com