ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 11-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Tydude
Role Player

Default ****** Oklahoma Sooners vs Saint Louis Billikens Game Thread*********

OU Women's team take on Saint Louis Billikens at 2:00 PM on Sooner Sports TV Presented by Fox Sports on Fox Sports Oklahoma
Tydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
kimard
Walk-on

Default Re: ****** Oklahoma Sooners vs Saint Louis Billikens Game Thread*********

While we wait... Texas A&M and UCONN are playing on ESPN2.
kimard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
cfin5256
Starter

Default Re: ****** Oklahoma Sooners vs Saint Louis Billikens Game Thread*********

Ready to get it started. I want to see a great bounce back game. And rebounding domination.
cfin5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
cfin5256
Starter

That play by Morgan was pretty.
cfin5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
sybarite
National Champion

40-10?
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
35TangoTango
Sweet 16

Does it seem like Morgan Hook is on a really short leash?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
sybarite
National Champion

Is it that, or is Sherri trying to get Maddie some experience? Jasmine and Maddie got more time than Morgan today. I doubt that Sherri thinks that they are better at this point in time? This was a bit of an unusual game. The negative is that Morgan didn't steady us against UCLA.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
BoomerDAB
Walk-on

Nice to get a dominant win, but that was one of the worst women's college teams I've seen.
BoomerDAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
KCRuf/Nek
All-American

So I take it we won? I'll have to catch the replay tonight.
KCRuf/Nek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
BoomerDAB
Walk-on

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/w...111812aaa.html
BoomerDAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
KCRuf/Nek
All-American

Ugh. Says something when you're pleased with "only" 16 turnovers. I notice Campbell getting only 13 minutes. Is she in the doghouse or is there an issue? Last year if she wasn't starting she was usually the first off the bench. I know we have new players and the rototion is different but she was at times our savior.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

I don't understand why Sharane played as little as she did. I think she should be starting. She may be in Sherri's doghouse, which is the only thing that makes sense to me.
SoonerNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
35TangoTango
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerNorm View Post
I don't understand why Sharane played as little as she did. I think she should be starting. She may be in Sherri's doghouse, which is the only thing that makes sense to me.
Wow! I didn't see that one coming!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
rocjunkie
Sweet 16

Sharane had a problem with fouls in the first half. Two quick ones and she sat the bench. When she played in control she was fine, just too many mistakes and silly fouls. She will be okay.

Really disappointed second half. The kids played dis-interested in the second half, and that will get you killed. They need to keep their intensity for forty minutes and keep the "boot on the neck" and get that killer instinct. They are going to need it in the islands, and the rest of their non-conference schedule. The Big XII will be tough enough, and these kids don't have that toughness yet.

Really good game from our center position. Nicole was very good when the kids finally started getting her the ball on a regular basis.
rocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
atlantasooner
All-Conference

Am I the only one thinking Sherri might consider a starting lineup of
Griffin
Hand
Manning
Hook
Ellenberg

McFarland is really struggling and Durrett hasn't yet proven she's ready to start.

Just a thought
atlantasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #16
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35TangoTango View Post
Wow! I didn't see that one coming!
Are you happy with the play of Jo and Portia?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
KCRuf/Nek
All-American

I just felt that she seemed like when she was in there she was rushing and seemed to press a little. I hope she's not putting pressure on herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocjunkie View Post
Sharane had a problem with fouls in the first half. Two quick ones and she sat the bench. When she played in control she was fine, just too many mistakes and silly fouls. She will be okay.

Really disappointed second half. The kids played dis-interested in the second half, and that will get you killed. They need to keep their intensity for forty minutes and keep the "boot on the neck" and get that killer instinct. They are going to need it in the islands, and the rest of their non-conference schedule. The Big XII will be tough enough, and these kids don't have that toughness yet.

Really good game from our center position. Nicole was very good when the kids finally started getting her the ball on a regular basis.
She still needs to take better care of the ball. Did you see the short girl tie her up? The ball should never go below her shoulders. She's in love with bringing the ball down and loves putting it on the floor. She can't get away with that against everyone.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #18
35TangoTango
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantasooner View Post
Griffin
Hand
Manning
Hook
Ellenberg

McFarland is really struggling and Durrett hasn't yet proven she's ready to start.

Just a thought
You have isolated the problem - the power forward position. Hand is one possible solution, but it's so beneficial to have a 3 point ace on each wing. Campbell is another solution, but at 5'10", she's way undersized.

I would guess that various solutions will be tried during the non-conference season. For those that follow the team, and not just the wins, this will be a very interesting time.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
atlantasooner
All-Conference

35tt,
Yeah probably creates more problems than it might solve.
Reaching for a solution that does not include Kaylon.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
35TangoTango
Sweet 16

Quote:
35tt,
Yeah probably creates more problems than it might solve.
Reaching for a solution that does not include Kaylon.
Well, I'm not saying you're wrong - just that this is a work in progress that we can all watch develop.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Griffin
Hand
Manning
Hook
Ellenberg

Just a thought
I don't know whether it would be Maddie, Kornet, or Sharane. Unless Jo recovers, I suspect that it will be one of them. Fortunately, Hand can rebound. I tend to see Maddie out front, primarily because I haven't seen anything that says Jasmine can be a point. Right now, we seem to be waiting for Jo, Portia, and Jasmine to develop a role, and two of these are seniors on whom I had counted for stability.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Each of you knows well I have hoped for and advocated Hand to the 4 since her injury.

With her rebounding, aggressiveness, shooting and smarts, she has always seemed like a perfect 4 to me. She's 6-1 too and size wise she can hold her own.

I could see Sheri moving Maddie to point, if she progresses enough and moves Morgan to the 3 or vice versa.

Kornet may be a year away from being to take the 3. I give Maddie the edge. But if Sheri is thinking Maddie is the ultimate answer at the point...

Well that's just an entirely knew can of worms, but one I like.
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #23
atlantasooner
All-Conference

35tt,
maybe I'm reaching for Manning because of her length and the fact that Hook at times seems like a more effective 2 guard than PG.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #24
KCRuf/Nek
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
I don't know whether it would be Maddie, Kornet, or Sharane. Unless Jo recovers, I suspect that it will be one of them. Fortunately, Hand can rebound. I tend to see Maddie out front, primarily because I haven't seen anything that says Jasmine can be a point. Right now, we seem to be waiting for Jo, Portia, and Jasmine to develop a role, and two of these are seniors on whom I had counted for stability.
We might not get much out of Jaz. Depending on the injury and the recovery sometimes it takes a year to get back to where you once were. Even then she filled her role. Dunno about Jo. It would be nice for her to revert back to being more inside but so far she seems to be more outside than anything. It seemed today she played a little more inside but the competition wasn't much. I don't know about the new guys yet. They have the size but are they able to play the four? Dunno. Unfortunately

This is where - IDK if it's the recruiting or the girls she goes after/gets. Not sure. I see teams like Baylor and A$M that get 6'2" girls that are tough and they play defense and they get rebounds. Maybe we have those kinds of girls. This is of course from someone that follows the team, not just the wins.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #25
SoonerNorm
Super Moderator

I've also wanted to see Whitney at the 4 since last year but I've given up on the idea that Sherri is going to move her from the 3. It's true that Sharane is not as tall as some other 4s but she is more athletic than most other 4s in our league and is tougher than most 4s in the country. She is a bit like Gant was, undersized but tough as nails. I just think moving players around and trying to play the 4 by committee is not working and not likely to work. If not Sharane, find someone and stick with them for 30+ minutes a game for 3 games and see what happens.