ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 03-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #76
Soonerbay
Role Player

Default Re: Sooners part ways with guard Shaina Pellington

Quote:
Originally Posted by inoref View Post
If Nancy wasn't big 12 type of player then why did SC recruit her? I'm not saying she was or wasn't but it seems some folks feel like she wasn't. Could it be Sherri isn't a very good judge of talent anymore?
Let's have some "real" chat. There have been a number of players recruited and signed that COULD have been Big XII players but it requires coaches who can develop. IMHO...the years she experienced success, she "lucked" up on a few really good players who are not only game changers, but have the ability to build chemistry, play with passion and have winning attitudes. Those players were not lucky. They had a purpose, a plan, winning attitudes and were committed to one another, IN SPITE of any obstacles. They are able to sell winning ways at a higher level to teammates. It's like a perfect storm that does not happen often. I believe they did the very best possible with the leadership they had.

I don't believe she can repeat 2002-2010 if her life depended on it, especially since she didn't build on the recruiting while she had the players who could draw to continue the legacy. Whenever they get around to ending her position as a coach (retirement, etc), we can only hope that the new coach is committed to WBB, vested in the university would be a bonus and the self confidence to hire staff that have individual strengths to build a strong program. They almost have to have at least an assistant that is a former player to help recruit to get top players to buy into "we can do it again".
Soonerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #77
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Frankly, I think she’s just trying to get the program to the point people will say she retired having laid the groundwork for future success by a new coach and staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #78
sooner8
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Frankly, I think she’s just trying to get the program to the point people will say she retired having laid the groundwork for future success by a new coach and staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your crossing back over to the dark side with that statementSeriously though SC would not leave this program in shambles.(can we still say shambles on here?)
sooner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #79
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8 View Post
Your crossing back over to the dark side with that statementSeriously though SC would not leave this program in shambles.(can we still say shambles on here?)
It is near in shambles now. IMO
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #80
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
It is near in shambles now. IMO
Agree!
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #81
Mac
Administrator

Someone close to the situation with Shay, said that she was late t a few Practices, and saw a reduction in her playing time... that’s same poster also said that Shay had a new friend that the team thought was a “Distraction”, IMO this doesn’t take away from her talent, and losing Shay will probably set us back again unless Gabby comes in and really fills a role the sooners need...
Old 03-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #82
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8 View Post
She is just trying to leave like she found it.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #83
Soonerguy06
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
She is just trying to leave like she found it.
Man I hope not!

I think Shay is easily replaceable. she was inconsistent at best and didn't help the team get better, and had horrible form in her shot, that's why she only scored up close. In order for her to be a really good player she has to improve both of those aspects of her game. One can be changed, but can the other?? Moments of brilliance, for sure, but they were few and far between. Ana IS the better player in that class, for sure. This year she proved it.

I also hope that Gregory can more than fill her void with her shooting, agressiveness and athletic ability. She's a decent thrower in track & field, so we know she's got hand/eye coordination and strength, at least.

I think Scott is a bigger question to me. If she's like Madi, we could be GOOD. Madi, hopefully, will be even better next year, along with Murcer, Lampkin and TR. The perimeter is good to go. We just need SC to follow through in her promise to get us some height!!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #84
Mac
Administrator

Shay took a visit to A&M

if she ends up at A &M I wonder how she will fit in with a player like Carter, who doesn’t pass the ball a lot...

I believe she’s also looking at Rutgers, who will have both Morris from Baylor and Zippy a freshman guard who had a good year, she’s also shown interest in Pitt, who is rebuilding and would give her the green light and a chance to lead the nation in scoring.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #85
soonerstar
All-Conference

Hope she finds a good fit and excels.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote