ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #51
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,363
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Those of you that think what aTm is doing is sustainable, where is all that extra money going to come from? Sure, there are donors that donate millions each year. But now, some of that money is going to be allocated to NIL/recruits. So the schools are just going to lose out on those donations more? Donors are going to be happy/content to continue donating like that after the 1st NC? After 5-10 years with NO NC? We'll see.

Also, those of you that said the NCAA/Feds can't regulate this, or the amounts given to players, they literally just did. We'll have to see how it plays out, but they literally just said there needs to be a reasonableness to this. NIL isn't worth whatever a donor feels like it is worth. There are ways to pretty easily show what advertising a player is doing is worth. If some kid coming out of HS is being paid more by a local furniture company than Tom Brady makes doing commercials throughout the year for a national brand, it's pretty easy to show/prove that the HS player is being paid as an inducement, and not for his NIL.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:15 PM   #52
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 7,388
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Those of you that think what aTm is doing is sustainable, where is all that extra money going to come from? Sure, there are donors that donate millions each year. But now, some of that money is going to be allocated to NIL/recruits. So the schools are just going to lose out on those donations more? Donors are going to be happy/content to continue donating like that after the 1st NC? After 5-10 years with NO NC? We'll see.

Also, those of you that said the NCAA/Feds can't regulate this, or the amounts given to players, they literally just did. We'll have to see how it plays out, but they literally just said there needs to be a reasonableness to this. NIL isn't worth whatever a donor feels like it is worth. There are ways to pretty easily show what advertising a player is doing is worth. If some kid coming out of HS is being paid more by a local furniture company than Tom Brady makes doing commercials throughout the year for a national brand, it's pretty easy to show/prove that the HS player is being paid as an inducement, and not for his NIL.
tamu and texas are at like 150 mil budgets ... they will be fine at 140 with 10 mil going to NIL ..

it is very sustainable ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #53
WichitaSooner
Sweet 16
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,576
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Those of you that think what aTm is doing is sustainable, where is all that extra money going to come from? Sure, there are donors that donate millions each year. But now, some of that money is going to be allocated to NIL/recruits. So the schools are just going to lose out on those donations more? Donors are going to be happy/content to continue donating like that after the 1st NC? After 5-10 years with NO NC? We'll see.

Also, those of you that said the NCAA/Feds can't regulate this, or the amounts given to players, they literally just did. We'll have to see how it plays out, but they literally just said there needs to be a reasonableness to this. NIL isn't worth whatever a donor feels like it is worth. There are ways to pretty easily show what advertising a player is doing is worth. If some kid coming out of HS is being paid more by a local furniture company than Tom Brady makes doing commercials throughout the year for a national brand, it's pretty easy to show/prove that the HS player is being paid as an inducement, and not for his NIL.
The NCAA has said a lot of things over the years. Why would we start taking them seriously now?

Again, they made their bed by being anti-athletes for decades. They are dealing with the unintended consequences of their own stupidity and bad faith.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #54
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 7,388
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Also, those of you that said the NCAA/Feds can't regulate this, or the amounts given to players, they literally just did. We'll have to see how it plays out, but they literally just said there needs to be a reasonableness to this. NIL isn't worth whatever a donor feels like it is worth. There are ways to pretty easily show what advertising a player is doing is worth. If some kid coming out of HS is being paid more by a local furniture company than Tom Brady makes doing commercials throughout the year for a national brand, it's pretty easy to show/prove that the HS player is being paid as an inducement, and not for his NIL.
they have just talked they have not regulated anything yet

market value is what ever someone will pay period ... nothing else would stand up in court ...
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #55
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,172
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

market value is what ever someone will pay period
I don't think that is necessarily the case.

If 5 guys would pay $1k for a date with Pamela Anderson but one desperate guy would pay $100k, what is the market price? Surely the outlier would not be included in the market price.

In 1890, it was the highest price that would be paid. In 1950/1962, that started to change a bit. A caveat was added to take away the effects of "abnormal pressure". Meaning that market value shouldn't be based on circumstances where the buyer is under high pressure.

In 1975 & 1981 it changed by adding even more conditions. It also changed the "highest" price to the "most probable" price a property SHOULD bring.

Current definitions continue to evolve.

Yes, these are all for real estate prices. But I think the same semantics can apply here for NIL.

Market Value shouldn't be, IMO, what the highest bidder will pay. THat isn't fair as the highest bidder may be so much higher than anyone else is willing to pay because they have more assets, have more need or other circumstances demand it.

Market Value should be what is a reasonable, probably price that most would pay.

Let's say I'm selling my home for $500k and have a few people interested. We get into a bidding war. Most buyers are around the $500k range. But one buyer has a rich oil man that really wants this property for whatever reason and offers more than he knows anyone else would offer. Let's say $1MM, just to make sure he gets it. Is the market value for my house really $1MM? Do all the other homes around me increase in value because of this inflated sales price?
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:26 PM   #56
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKlahoma City
Posts: 7,388
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post

Let's say I'm selling my home for $500k and have a few people interested. We get into a bidding war. Most buyers are around the $500k range. But one buyer has a rich oil man that really wants this property for whatever reason and offers more than he knows anyone else would offer. Let's say $1MM, just to make sure he gets it. Is the market value for my house really $1MM? Do all the other homes around me increase in value because of this inflated sales price?
someone can't stop you from selling the house for the 1 mil and they can't stop the guy from paying the 1 mil ..

just like that the NCAA can't do anything to cap pay at all ....
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #57
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,172
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
someone can't stop you from selling the house for the 1 mil and they can't stop the guy from paying the 1 mil ..

just like that the NCAA can't do anything to cap pay at all ....
That's not the point. The point was to show that what one entity might be willing to pay doesn't necessarily mean that is the market value.

So legally, I could foresee there being a cap on NIL while still allowing unlimited market value
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #58
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,363
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
they have just talked they have not regulated anything yet

market value is what ever someone will pay period ... nothing else would stand up in court ...
That is absolutely false. It completely ignores the cheating, pay-to-play aspect of this.

If some kid out of HS is getting $3M from a LOCAL not-for-profit set up to provide NIL, that isn't market value. 100% is NOT. And trying to make that case is ignorant.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:16 PM   #59
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,363
Default Re: NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Let me put it another way:

If market value, as you are trying to define it, includes a level of persuasion, again, that isn't market value.

If the CEO of a large company overpays when acquiring another company because his buddy owns a portion of the acquired company, that wasn't market value and when people associated with the CEO's company find out, they'll be plenty unhappy.

Again, it's the persuasion, or enticement, or WHATEVER you want to call it that forces it to not truly be market value. And right now, it's obvious that is what is going on. Might this evolve into something very similar only with the players and company/organization sending the money get a little smarter and hide it a little better? Maybe. It'll still be cheating and against the "rules", but I do agree that the NCAA is going to have a really tough time policing this.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com