ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
TheMont
Role Player

Default Real Ones Will Know

Well, since we have our second straight week without a mid-week game, I thought it would be fun to play this game...

Here's mine:

Post yours!

Last edited by TheMont; 02-18-2021 at 09:28 AM.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Default Re: Real Ones Will Know

name? game? what ?

Hollis...

* edit...my bad...want the play? guessing a winning shot against tt maybe?
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
OUReality
Role Player

I am guessing that is the infamous game when B Knight went ballistic because the clock didn't start on time. I believe OU got an extra second or 2
OUReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Why are there so many spectators?
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
TheMont
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUReality View Post
I am guessing that is the infamous game when B Knight went ballistic because the clock didn't start on time. I believe OU got an extra second or 2
Correct! Your turn

TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
vbdad
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Why are there so many spectators?
Hollis was before the Thunder and the games were actually attended although not as well as they were in the early Tubbs years.
The local radio guys now will talk about a game for a minute and then move back to the NBA. The main guys in town don't even go to the games. I remember when Eschbach chose to cover Billy instead of going to the Citrus Bowl when Switzer was coaching. It was the Clemson game that Jamelle was shaving points.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Hollis was before the Thunder and the games were actually attended although not as well as they were in the early Tubbs years.
The local radio guys now will talk about a game for a minute and then move back to the NBA. The main guys in town don't even go to the games. I remember when Eschbach chose to cover Billy instead of going to the Citrus Bowl when Switzer was coaching. It was the Clemson game that Jamelle was shaving points.
The local media is so putrid. What does it take to get some talk about the top 10 hoops program?
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
1. I can remember sitting in my car and listening to WWLS feature three solid segments in a row on that night's game with the Aggies. It was 2004, and Eddie's best team was coming to Norman. I was waiting on my gf (now wife) to get out of class.

I can't remember the last time Al or Jim came to a hoops game. Might've been Kansas 2016. Eschbach goes on vacation now instead of covering the football bowl game. Times have REALLY changed.

Jamelle and the Citrus Bowl. That's always been the darkest of the late-80s Switzer rumors. A bunch of the assistants went on a coke bender in Orlando. Jammin' was always subject to rumors because he failed to hand the ball to Lydell Carr at the 1.
Sooner04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUReality View Post
2003. We beat them three times that season, and all the games were really close. The General had a point. There was some nefarious dealings with the clock in Norman. It was more than just a couple of seconds. Hollis hit the shot over Kasib Powell (I think that was his name). Andre Emmett and Martin Zeno. They had a hell of a backcourt. Zeno may have been a couple of years later. Can't rememeber.

RMK's first four teams in Lubbock were really good. Sweet 16 in 2005. Got Pittsnogle'd in ABQ in the Sweet 16.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #10
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
2003. We beat them three times that season, and all the games were really close. The General had a point. There was some nefarious dealings with the clock in Norman. It was more than just a couple of seconds. Hollis hit the shot over Kasib Powell (I think that was his name). Andre Emmett and Martin Zeno. They had a hell of a backcourt. Zeno may have been a couple of years later. Can't rememeber.

RMK's first four teams in Lubbock were really good. Sweet 16 in 2005. Got Pittsnogle'd in ABQ in the Sweet 16.
Remember andre emmett got murdered 2 years ago? Crazy
Old 02-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
crawfish
Walk-on

For you old-timers:

crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #12
Sooner04
All-Conference

Hi, Crawfish!

That's the 1985 Midwest Regional Semifinal at Reunion Arena in Dallas. Good guys in OT.

(bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, IN!)

Last edited by Sooner04; 02-18-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #13
Sooner04
All-Conference

Old 02-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #14
Darwin
Starter

1988 semifinal beating the 2nd best team that year, Arizona.
Darwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #15
Sooner04
All-Conference

You're up, Darwin!
Old 02-18-2021, 05:39 PM   #16
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
1988 semifinal beating the 2nd best team that year, Arizona.
yup...living in KC...man those were some great times...until the next game...
Old 02-18-2021, 11:03 PM   #17
NMSooner'80
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINY View Post
The local media is so putrid. What does it take to get some talk about the top 10 hoops program?
They're waiting for it to be OSU.
NMSooner'80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:05 PM   #18
NMSooner'80
All-Conference

The first of two OU-UNM games in the same calendar year. Photo credit goes to yours truly.

Last edited by NMSooner'80; 02-18-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #19
Soonerinkc
Elite Eight

Quote:
Can you DM that pic ? Or a link
Old 02-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #20
crawfish
Walk-on

Quote:
Hi, Crawfish!

That's the 1985 Midwest Regional Semifinal at Reunion Arena in Dallas. Good guys in OT.

(bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, IN!)
Tisdale vs. Karl Malone was an incredible battle. At the time, it felt like that last shot bounced for an hour before going in.
crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #21
NMSooner'80
All-Conference

Quote:
I absolutely grew to hate Arizona about like I do Kansas and Duke, back then (them and North Carolina also struck me as being very holier-than-thou, "we're just better people than you are" programs). I do wonder sometimes if the UofA could have beaten KU in the finals, though that's a disgusting thought of Loot getting a natty nine years before he actually got one.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:08 AM   #22
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSooner'80 View Post
I absolutely grew to hate Arizona about like I do Kansas and Duke, back then (them and North Carolina also struck me as being very holier-than-thou, "we're just better people than you are" programs). I do wonder sometimes if the UofA could have beaten KU in the finals, though that's a disgusting thought of Loot getting a natty nine years before he actually got one.
Arizona never bothered me because we're 3-0 against them in March. Kansas had so much luck going for them in '88, I don't think anyone was going to beat them. Even KU fans admitted for several years that they had to pay back the college basketball gods for that title. They got karma #1 handed to them in 1997 when KU was clearly the best team in America even though Arizona took them down in the Sweet 16. I remember watching that game thinking there was no way a team that good could lose that early. '84 NC and '97 KU were the best teams in my lifetime to not make the Elite Eight.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:16 PM   #23
sanguinetti
Role Player

Sooners played La Tech and Karl Malone twice that season. In the NCAA obviously but also in the All-College at the Myriad.....84-72 OU wins.
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #24
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
Can you DM that pic ? Or a link
I typed "OKLAHOMA ARIZONA 1988" into Google and it's one of the first images to pop up. It's from the Tucson paper.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...size=500%2C771

https://tucson.com/arizona-vs-oklaho...b06795b7c.html

I believe DARWIN has the floor for the next image to be posted.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:54 PM   #25
NMSooner'80
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Arizona never bothered me because we're 3-0 against them in March. Kansas had so much luck going for them in '88, I don't think anyone was going to beat them. Even KU fans admitted for several years that they had to pay back the college basketball gods for that title. They got karma #1 handed to them in 1997 when KU was clearly the best team in America even though Arizona took them down in the Sweet 16. I remember watching that game thinking there was no way a team that good could lose that early. '84 NC and '97 KU were the best teams in my lifetime to not make the Elite Eight.
I didn't care for them in '88 even before we played them, after hearing about how they self-promoted their "St. Lute and His Leaping Apostles" nonsense. I have relatives in the Seattle area with UW ties, and they were telling about how smug and arrogant that program became within the Pac-12 ranks. They had these dancing buffoons at the end of their bench called "The Gumbies" - and the national media started loving them. When OU's guys invented the late-game victory shuffle, the same media types ripped us for being showboats.

I moved to Albuquerque that summer ('88) and read some stories about their loss to us and the shocker to UNM and the Pit on Jan. 2. Let's just say they weren't too big on giving credit where credit was due. It was especially absurd about how they almost seemed like the Lobos should have apologized to them for winning.

They had a local writer in Tucson who took shots at OU back then, especially in '89 when OU played football out there (and lost, unfortunately). That whole week was filled with garbage about how trashy OU was, and it also included a blatant lie about a game the same writer covered in Norman in '74 when OU played Utah State and won, 72-3. The clown actually said OU ran it up, when the truth was that Switzer had his starters out of the game quickly after halftime. They also played up the OU-UofA non-conference rematch at the LNC (Stacey and Mookie's senior year) as a battle of their good to OU's evil.

Arizona really had a bad attitude towards the state of New Mexico, sort of like how UT people look down on the entire state of Oklahoma. It was especially obnoxious when Lute (or Loot, as I call him) was their coach and they had that entitled, KU-like attitude. It does make me proud that St. Loot had a losing record against OU, despite being one of the ESPN golden boys of college coaching.