ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Old 12-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #26
CarlWeathers
Walk-on

Default Re: OSU loses to Pitt

No way that happens with Smart coming in and Ford having 5+ years left on his contract. We are 8 games into our season. Plenty of basketball left to play and your kidding yourself if you think osu has tapped out our potential.
CarlWeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
DenverSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by propoke View Post
If they played today I would pick ou, but this may change by the time they actually play. OSU is young and seems to be getting better every game. I am interested to see where both teams will be in a month.
I think the team that shoots better on that particular night wins. If OU is hitting 3 point shots they will be tough to beat. The problem is they will have off nights.

I haven't seen OSU play yet this season so I really can't say much about them.
DenverSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
propoke
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSooner View Post
Personally, I think OSU is going to looking for a new coach soon. I just don't think Travis Ford is meeting expectations. He has not been horrible but he also hasn't been particularly good. A couple more bubble or NIT seasons and I think OSU will move in a different direction. If he gets them in the top 4 in the conference, I think they will give him more time.
If he doesn't make the NCAA's this year or next he will be gone. I like Ford as a coach and the last couple of years I have liked his recruiting. My problem is that every year OSU seems to be young. His first two recruiting seasons were junk and on top of this he loses players every off season. He needs to start making better recruiting choses and retaining some of these players.
propoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #29
T_Neal's Twitter
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIA Stout View Post
OU would have been solid dogs to V-Tech, Pitt, and Stanford.
Stanford is horrible. We would have beaten them easily the way we are playing. That was a bad loss for you guys. Their program is nothing. That was pure Johnny Dawkins out-coaching Travis Ford. OSU is way more talented than they are.

-Steven Pledger

"That's the thing about this team, we love each other. That's why we're going to be successfull."

-Romero Osby
T_Neal's Twitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #30
OUhoops11
Role Player

If OU fans posted stuff like this on an OSU board, they would be permabanned instantly.
OUhoops11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
campbest
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Neal's Twitter View Post
Stanford is horrible. We would have beaten them easily the way we are playing. That was a bad loss for you guys. Their program is nothing. That was pure Johnny Dawkins out-coaching Travis Ford. OSU is way more talented than they are.
Horrible? Stanford had the 'Cuse on the ropes in MSG...which is ultimately a road game for the Cardinal.
campbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #32
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Neal's Twitter View Post
Old 12-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #33
skyvue
Elite Eight

I'm savoring the deep irony of an aggie fan pointing fingers at other schools for their weak scheduling. It's been especially true in football, but has held true in hoops, too, that oswho has long made a practice of fattening up their win total by playing weak sisters in advance of conference play.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #34
propoke
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I'm savoring the deep irony of an aggie fan pointing fingers at other schools for their weak scheduling. It's been especially true in football, but has held true in hoops, too, that oswho has long made a practice of fattening up their win total by playing weak sisters in advance of conference play.
There is a place for weak schedules and a place for tough schedules. OU has had several really bad years and a new coach. I tough schedule might have destroyed their confidence and killed any chance at post season play.

OSU has several new players playing a huge role on this team who have reputations for not playing hard or being overly confident (Nash, Jurick, Cezar). I think a tougher schedule is just what this team needs. They need to learn they aren't as good as they think they are and they will have to bring it every night to win.

In the end no one cares how tough your non conference schedule. The only thing that matters is playing well in the conference and making deep runs in the NCAA's.
propoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #35
WTSooner
National Champion

Some of you are speaking like it's easy to schedule the exact amount of "tough" games that you want. These games are schedule a year, sometimes 2-3 in advance. How was OU to know that Arkansas would be down? How was OU to know that Cincy would under-perform early, then lose players to a suspension? How was OU to know who we'd get matched up against in the tournament we played in? My guess is that if Arky and Cincy were up to par, this would be the type of schedule that OU plays, OOC, most years. It's not like we ever go out and play 2-3 top 10 teams. That would be silly, as tough as the Big 12 is. Same reason the SEC football teams don't kill themselves in the OOC. It doesn't make good sense.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #36
NickZepp
National Champion

Realistically you want to play about 2 or 3 maybe 4 tough games before the season starts but as WTS pointed out that's really hard to actually get sometimes. You don't want 4+ losses going into conference play because if you lose 9 or 10 games in conference you are basically out of post season play.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #37
BigTime
The Red Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWeathers View Post
No way that happens with Smart coming in and Ford having 5+ years left on his contract. We are 8 games into our season. Plenty of basketball left to play and your kidding yourself if you think osu has tapped out our potential.
It is pathetic to me that you cheered for OU when they had Blake and now you are dropping “our”s with OSU. Grow a pair and pick a team, Carl.

Stout,

Feeling insecure are we? I’d be worried too if I were an OSU fan...

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
-BBS
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #38
IndySooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propoke View Post
If he doesn't make the NCAA's this year or next he will be gone. I like Ford as a coach and the last couple of years I have liked his recruiting. My problem is that every year OSU seems to be young. His first two recruiting seasons were junk and on top of this he loses players every off season. He needs to start making better recruiting choses and retaining some of these players.
Ford = Capel = Drew
IndySooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #39
CarlWeathers
Walk-on

its always been osu first ou second, with or without blake.

Last edited by CarlWeathers; 12-12-2011 at 11:41 PM.
CarlWeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #40
BoulderSooner
Administrator

t ford makes 2 mil a year and has 5 years left on his deal .. the can't afford to fire him ..

they have never had a sold out football game .. and now no ones comes to GIA ..

osu is a horrible shooting team .... and they will be that way all season
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #41
snydrosooner
Walk-on

The main thing I remember was OSU being talked up was in the spring when Jurick and the point guard chose them over OU. Posters and even media people were talking about with Nash this will be a great team. I think once the season rolled around precevied expectations dropped some.
snydrosooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #42
ellissooner
Walk-on

I don't have a problem with OU scheduling a weak non-conference schedule right now but done the road when Kruger gets his guys in then I will have a problem. Speaking of weak non-conference schedules how about OSU's weak non-conference schedule in football. You would think a team that has established itself as a 9 or more wins for the last 4 seasons would schedule tougher games.
ellissooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #43
boksooner
All-Conference

I much prefer reasonable with a sense of humor OSU fan to angry and belligerent OSU fan.

PS OU's SOS is 117, not 214.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #44
BigTime
The Red Wig

Quote:
Talk about throwing stones in glass houses. I watched your Arkansas and ORU games online, I swear I saw a few deer run across the screen in the upper level. That place looked a demilitarized zone.
Right back at you. GIA has been an abosolute ghost-town for several years now. I developed cataracts from staring at the bright glow of the 6000 empty seats that encompasses the upperdeck. Oh wait, most of your games aren't even on TV...

"rowdiest arena in the country" "historic GIA arena" lmfao

I did, however, enjoy using my free punch card to go to your game against TU lol

Go talk basketball with your buddies on OSUHoops.com - oh that's right, there isn't a site that is dedicated to OSU basketball is there? Too bad.

Hohum,

Who is this clown?

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
-BBS
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #45
Tundrasooner
Role Player

Quote:
Talk about throwing stones in glass houses. I watched your Arkansas and ORU games online, I swear I saw a few deer run across the screen in the upper level. That place looked a demilitarized zone.
Like GIA is selling out. Osu hasn't had crowds in years.
Tundrasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #46
BigTime
The Red Wig

Quote:
You obviously don't understand what throwing stones in glass houses means. I never said anything about our current crowds being great but an OU fan making fun of OSU's crowd is like one homeless guy calling another homeless guy poor.

OSU has at least been voted a top basketball venue in the country at times in the past by several publications and even still in the present. I can google and find past articles for hours ranking GIA. LNC wont even get a mention.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/814485 (2011 Sports Illustrated Network)

http://swooshnation.com/20110816228/...as-part-3.html (2011)

http://banews.net/News/Top_10_Colleg...ll_Arenas.html (2010)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...oklahoma-state (2009)

I'll wait for some links pointing out LNC as a top basketball venue.
And you are proud of that? Your crowds were horrible during those years...it was just "reporters" not really researching what they were ranking. You have been living off of Eddie's glory day scraps since 2005.

LNC was consistently rated in the top 25 toughest places to play during the Tubbs glory days so don't act like we have never gotten anything. If I have time later, then I will google it for you. BTW Dougie boy said the LNC was the toughest atmosphere he ever played in.

The difference between me and you is that I don't pretend like I'm something that I am not.

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
-BBS
Old 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #47
Tundrasooner
Role Player

Quote:
You obviously don't understand what throwing stones in glass houses means. I never said anything about our current crowds being great but an OU fan making fun of OSU's crowd is like one homeless guy calling another homeless guy poor.

OSU has at least been voted a top basketball venue in the country at times in the past by several publications and even still in the present. I can google and find past articles for hours ranking GIA. LNC wont even get a mention.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/814485 (2011 Sports Illustrated Network)

http://swooshnation.com/20110816228/...as-part-3.html (2011)

http://banews.net/News/Top_10_Colleg...ll_Arenas.html (2010)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...oklahoma-state (2009)

These are just the first 4 I found on page 1 of a google search. I'll wait for some links pointing out LNC as a top basketball venue.
Actually back in 1990 Sports Illustrated called Lloyd Noble the toughest arena in college basketball after OU beat back to back #1 teams in the nation in Missouri and Kansas.

So there...
But we are not going around pretending something we are not.

Last edited by Tundrasooner; 12-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Tundrasooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #48
stoops4pres
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
And you are proud of that? Your crowds were horrible during those years...it was just "reporters" not really researching what they were ranking. You have been living off of Eddie's glory day scraps since 2005.

LNC was consistently rated in the top 25 toughest places to play during the Tubbs glory days so don't act like we have never gotten anything. If I have time later, then I will google it for you. BTW Dougie boy said the LNC was the toughest atmosphere he ever played in.

The difference between me and you is that I don't pretend like I'm something that I am not.
This. Any recent rankings are just going by OSU's reputation in the past. Even (rational) OSU fans acknowledge that Iba is a shell of what it once was.

I have a ton of respect for their atmosphere of old. But people asserting that OSU's atmosphere has not subsided are out of touch with reality.