ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings NET bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 01-02-2023, 06:07 PM   #1
Soonercuda
All-American

Default OU vs Baylor 6pm 1/3

TV on ESPN+

Preview: https://soonersports.com/news/2023/1...down-in-norman
Soonercuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:56 PM   #2
Soonercuda
All-American

Default Re: OU vs Baylor 6pm 1/3

We had a brutal start and 1st quarter. Just mentally weren’t in it..no intensity and we couldn’t make anything. Shot 1-16 for the quarter and we were down 21-5. But we found our game in the 2nd quarter and fought our way back in the game. Ana has 12 and Madi 8. Down 34-30 at half.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:25 PM   #3
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Doesn’t look good unless we can do something to get Bickel out of there and get Taylor and Maddie in foul trouble doesn’t help one bit either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:40 PM   #4
Soonercuda
All-American

Down 57-45. Madi picked up 2 early fouls to get 4 and we kept fouling them. TRob had 11 that quarter or it would have been worse. Sarah Andrews has killed us and she has 24.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:30 PM   #5
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Uggg. Maddie absolutely has to be more careful, even if it means giving up a few baskets defensively.

We have to screen better for Taylor.

Liz Scott is not the answer at the 5. At least Johnson can shoot a layup regularly and I bet she’s better than Liz all around the arc.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:49 PM   #6
Soonercuda
All-American

81-70 final. Difference was the poor start and Sarah Andrews ability to create her own shot…her step back 3 killed us. We shot 31% for the game and got 54 combined from Ana, Madi and TRob. But our complimentary players were poor and only got 16 points on 5-29 shooting. Some of that poor play was good Baylor defense and some of it was not being ready for the intensity that Baylor played with. We have to come out of the locker room better from the tip on Sunday.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:08 PM   #7
scrybe
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Uggg. Maddie absolutely has to be more careful, even if it means giving up a few baskets defensively.

We have to screen better for Taylor.

Liz Scott is not the answer at the 5. At least Johnson can shoot a layup regularly and I bet she’s better than Liz all around the arc.

The only area in which Johnson might be considered better than Scott is in the number of fouls committed per minutes played. Johnson has all the tools to be a future star, but she's nowhere close to that level now. JMO
Old 01-04-2023, 02:05 PM   #8
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I actually thought we could blow this team way before last night. They proved that even if you aren't as talented offensively, you can still win games. They disrupted us, with a simple hand in our faces, and we never really recovered. Our lack in a true talented post was very clear last night, and also our lack of a solid PG was even more evident. How do we improve and beat other teams in this conference that are better than Baylor, like ISU & Texas? Is there just no chance of that happening? Culliton & Johnson aren't the answer for our future, from all of the games I've seen this year I believe we must pursue a better option via portal or hope for a recruit out of HS to commit, which makes next season without Madi, Ana, and TRob look daunting. I know it's still early, but this may be a long conference season if we have more games like last night. Coach better go back to the drawing board and make adjustments!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:44 PM   #9
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

To me the best way to consistently win conference games is to play 4 quarters of strong fundamentally sound defense. That is not Jennie's M.O. She wants to win by just out scoring you and play some decent defense on occasion.

I'll be totally surprised if we ever see Jennie focus on teaching and demanding strong fundamental defense. That to me is not part of her mindset. Consequently I see a conference record of 12-6 like last year as a great year for a Jennie coached team. I think you will see far many more 10-8 seasons than you will see 14-4 seasons.

I think it would help her to spend a full week or two at Porter Moser's practices to better learn how to win more often with less talent not less often with better talent. But that is just me. Of course I would also like to see Porter recruit and teach a lot of Jennie's offensive scheme too. But that is just me.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:07 PM   #10
TheMont
Role Player

Last night was extra frustrating because Baylor is pretty clearly worse than were last year, particularly without Queen Egbo. Meanwhile, we should be improved from last year with Ana's production back and more post depth. We swept Baylor last year, and then seemed to have no answer for them for much of the game last night. Proof that we haven't corrected any of the meaningless turnovers, silly fouls, or shaky team defense that held us back last year.

Last year's Notre Dame game + this season's Utah game + the first quarter last night is a very troubling trend for this team to lay an absolute egg.

I appreciate our "big three" (Ana, TRob, and Madi) for putting the team on their backs offensively for the 2nd and 3rd quarters last night, and hopefully they can lead the charge for this team to finish better than 4th/5th in the conference, but I still fear our ceiling is the exact same as it was last year.
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:36 PM   #11
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Scrybe, I think you missed the fact that Liz has been a foul machine for much of her career.

I think if we give Johnson more time on the court she will improve quickly. She already runs the court better than Liz from what I’ve seen.

And let me add if Liz scores, say, 10 points a game, it’s a miracle.

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 01-04-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 08:41 PM   #12
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Hardy View Post
Scrybe, I think you missed the fact that Liz has been a foul machine for much of her career.

I think if we give Johnson more time on the court she will improve quickly. She already runs the court better than Liz from what I’ve seen.

And let me add if Liz scores, say, 10 points a game, it’s a miracle.

No question historically Liz has been a fouling machine and she had a bad game against Baylor. But her preceding 6 games she averaged playing 15.2 minutes, 7.0 points, 6.3 boards, 2.0 fouls and had more assists than TOs. So of late Liz has been playing much better than we are accustomed of seeing from her.

https://soonersports.com/sports/wome...scottliz/15420

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 01-04-2023 at 08:45 PM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:40 PM   #13
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Compared to her usual stats for the last few years, she has been and I think that is partially because of Johnson getting time, but there are a lot of games where, this year, she has only scored in single digits.

We need more points from our 5.

While I haven’t watched Johnson closely or reviewed her stats this season, I think she may be better at lay-ups and put-backs.

She seems to run the floor better, blocks as well as Liz and, MAY BE ,a better overall defender and shooter.

Those are more of my thoughts on Johnson.

I know no one wants to crush Liz by making her come of the bench as a senior.

I just think Johnson needs to be playing more.

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 01-04-2023 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:20 AM   #14
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

No question as a freshman Johnson is in desperate need of playing time to get the experience necessary to be truly productive for the conference season. Right now statistically Liz is out performing Johnson but that is to be expected comparing a senior to a true freshmen. And for certain you would want a little more productivity from a senior #5. But it is what it is.

It is worth noting in the 6 games prior to playing Baylor she committed only 2 PFs per game vs 4 PFs per game in the other 7. It is imperative Scott can stay out of foul trouble to be the most productive big although defense/fouls will continue to a her major problem.

With more playing time Johnson might be able to elevate her numbers by 25% or more.

Player------Minutes----Points----FG%---RBs---Asst----TOs----PFs----Stls
Scott---------14.5------7.0------.486----5.7----13------16-----40-----13
Johnson------12.2------4.5------.397----2.9----12------10-----15------1

https://soonersports.com/sports/wome.../stats/2022-23

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 01-05-2023 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:27 AM   #15
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

If I read the stats correctly, they show Liz is only playing 14 minutes per game. That can’t be right. Help me out here.

Last edited by Oliver Hardy; 01-05-2023 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:37 AM   #16
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

She has averaged 15.2 the last 6 games with games of 21, 19 and 18 minutes. Stay out of foul trouble and focus on rebounding and I think she could average close to 17 minutes tops. It would appear the physical nature of Baylor's game overwhelmed Liz and she fouled out in only 11 minutes after getting only 5 fouls in 53 minutes in her previous 3 games.

https://soonersports.com/sports/wome...scottliz/15420

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 01-05-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:59 AM   #17
Soonerguy06
Role Player

I don't see one thing in either Johnson or Culliton that I absolutely would require from them at their height: the ability to box out and rebound! They don't even seem to try all that hard. Johnson appears to want to be more of a wing with all of her perimeter shooting, and Culliton is just....slow. Scott is pretty much the only option for us, even though she's a liability mostly. This, along with shaky PG play will always keep us from elevating to the top of the conference, let alone the nation. Add to boot that next season we will lose all of our major scoring and what will we have? We'll have to hope our freshmen are immediately productive and everyone else returning miraculously improves on fundamentals...I agree last season was probably as good as it'll get for us and seeing how tough our conference is now, I don't believe we will end up with a better record. Contrary I think we will win less, unfortunately. the ISU game Sunday will cement my opinion....let's hope we regroup and have some pride and pull out a win at home!
Soonerguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:52 AM   #18
womenssports
Starter

JMO...believe we will win more. Taylor and Ana have really only kicked in their last three games. Vann has been doing well and certainly Tot has been a positive...maybe not as much as we would like but believe it will come together. Joens is positive and the Freshmen could play well...have to see. Believe they have an upside that will show a bit this year. Guess we will see. In the meantime, I am going to enjoy watching a team that enjoys playing....just playing, playing with each other and for their coach. Believe expectations for this team's turnaround is a little quick. However, I think they may just do that.
womenssports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:57 PM   #19
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

Sooner guy…I can understand that at this point. Here’s my thinking. Give Johnson more time when Liz isn’t having much of an impact, especially when we are in control of game.

Benefits: gives Johnson more chance to show what she can produce now with more time, gets her in better game shape, encourages her, she gains valuable experience.

Also play her A LOT MORE when the game is out-of-hand either way.

Johnson seems to have a better upside than Culliton.

Remind me…do we have a new big coming in next year?

Old 01-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #20
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Landry Allen 6'3" 4* Tuttle, OK

Allen is the No. 2 prospect in the state of Oklahoma, according to Prep Girls Hoops, and the No. 10 center in the 2023 class, per ESPN.

Allen, a consensus top-100 recruit, averaged 13.4 points, 7.9 rebounds and 3.7 blocks as a junior at Tuttle. As a sophomore, she averaged 13.9 points and 8.2 rebounds, including 20.6 points, 10.3 rebounds and 4.3 blocks in the Class 4A state tournament to lead Tuttle to its first girls basketball state championship.

Allen also is an Oklahoma Super 5 All-Stater, (she was MVP) chose OU over Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas, TCU, Texas Tech and others.

“Landry is 'Sooner Born, Sooner Bred’,” Baranczyk said. “It will always be a goal of ours to keep the best players in the Sooner State here at home. Landry has won a state championship here in Oklahoma and has won many championships, including a national championship with Southwest Elite. She has great length and athleticism with incredible hands and great footwork. We love the way she can run the floor and her passing ability.”

John E. Hoover
BY JOHN E. HOOVER
Old 01-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #21
bob the nailer
Walk-on

Baylor loss looking worse, Baylor has now lost to OSU and W Va
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #22
scrybe
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the nailer View Post
Baylor loss looking worse, Baylor has now lost to OSU and W Va
Baylor probably played its best (Big XII) road game against us that it will play this season. It happens.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:05 PM   #23
betterstill
Walk-on

Refs let them get away with too much early.
betterstill is offline   Reply With Quote