ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 07-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #51
skyvue
Final Four

Default Re: Reaves draft thread

Given the Lakers ended up with just a single pick in the draft, it seems not unreasonable to assume that they might have selected Reaves if they'd had two or three picks, so those rushing to castigate other posters for "overhyping" Reaves could be off the mark. Reaves got lots of good press leading up to the draft, so it wasn't just posters on this board who felt he'd get drafted.

And the only thing more predictable than a few posters overrating the draft prospects of Sooner players is a few other posters rushing in after the draft to call them out for it. I know which of those I find more annoying.

Last edited by skyvue; 07-30-2021 at 09:23 AM.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #52
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Given the Lakers ended up with just a single pick in the draft, it seems a reasonable assumption that they might have selected Reaves if they'd had two or three picks.
That seems very likely.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #53
thebigabd
National Champion

It doesn't matter to me if Reaves makes a roster or not... His life, not mine.

Hopefully he (and everyone else) finds what they are looking for.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #54
Sooner04
All-Conference

I hate the Lakers with a white hot passion (Go Sonics!), but I can't imagine how cool it would be to put on the purple and gold. That's like donning Yankee pinstripes.

Good for him. Now the tough work begins.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #55
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
The roster is only 15. Technically he is not on the roster. If he was on the roster they would have to pay him the full rookie minimum at least. By signing him to a 2 way contract they keep him available to bring up and play but they only have to pay him half the rookie minimum. Also 2 way players are not eligible to play in the playoffs. It's a way for the team to have flexibility but it kind of screws over the player. It works out well however for a guy like Reaves who may not have any other way to get paid to play basketball.
the roster is 17
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #56
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
The roster is only 15. Technically he is not on the roster. If he was on the roster they would have to pay him the full rookie minimum at least. By signing him to a 2 way contract they keep him available to bring up and play but they only have to pay him half the rookie minimum. Also 2 way players are not eligible to play in the playoffs. It's a way for the team to have flexibility but it kind of screws over the player. It works out well however for a guy like Reaves who may not have any other way to get paid to play basketball.
the old system (pre covid) the 2 way player only got the NBA pay if they were up with the team and that could only be 45 days of the season .. (they were paid only while they were up with the team)

the new system they can be up with the team the entire season on the 17 man roster but they can only play in 50 games .. and either way they get the pay ..
Old 07-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #57
skyvue
Final Four

Here's what Jay Bilas had to say about Reaves entering the draft:

“Austin reminds me a little bit of Jeff Hornacek back in the day and that's going back a ways, but I'm an old guy. When I first saw him at Wichita State in the Maui Invitational, I kinda pegged him a a shooter and he's turned out to be way more than that. He's really a combo guard that can play as a point and he's a really good defender.

“He's not a ridiculously talented athlete, where he's gonna run and jump and blow by people in that way. But he's crafty, so he can, with the ball, he can get by people with his strength and his handle and get downhill and get to his spots in the midrange. And he's got pretty decent hangtime to hit shots over defenders, from the midrange and in. He's a very good pick and roll shooter and scorer. He has a runner game, a floater game and he's a good playmaker. And he's also a good passer.

“But with his strength and his savvy, he's able to get to the free throw line. He averaged 6 or 7 attempts from the line a game and shot in the mid 80s from the foul line. So, he plays at both ends of the floor, but the fact he can shoot it, he's mature, he'll stick his nose in there and rebound. He does a lot of different things.

“But he's one of the older players in the draft at 23, so I don't think teams will be looking at him saying, 'Boy, there's a big ceiling there, big upside, he's gonna get better and better.' I think he's gonna be looked at more as you can take him and plug him in right away and what you see is what you get. I still think he can get better. It's funny how we say that stuff now, but when I was a player, back in the dark ages, everybody was 22 and 23, and they called them rookies that had a lot to learn. That's kinda weird how things have evolved.”
Old 07-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #58
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
I hate the Lakers with a white hot passion (Go Sonics!), but I can't imagine how cool it would be to put on the purple and gold. That's like donning Yankee pinstripes.

Good for him. Now the tough work begins.
Pinstripes allows oneself to have a dislike of the Red Sox and that, in itself, can't be all bad.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #59
NorthCarolinaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
2 way players are only allowed to spend 45 days total in the NBA instead of the G League so it will be the other way around if he makes it until the season starts. Hopefully he will.
They can play in 50 games but they can practice and travel with the team now.
NorthCarolinaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:24 PM   #60
NorthCarolinaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
The chances of him making a roster as an undrafted free agent are very very slim but Iíll be happy to revisit this post if he makes a roster for more than a cup of coffee. If he doesnít he can go play in an awesome city in Europe and have a great career.
Both of the Lakers two-way guys spent significant time on the roster last year and the year before.
NorthCarolinaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #61
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

from the Athletic

Best undrafted players ​
1. Austin Reaves (No. 32 on big board): Reaves signed with the Lakers on a two-way deal following the draft. Sources told The Athletic that Reaves turned down the ability to get drafted in order to pick his own spot after the draft.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:10 PM   #62
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
from the Athletic

Best undrafted players ​
1. Austin Reaves (No. 32 on big board): Reaves signed with the Lakers on a two-way deal following the draft. Sources told The Athletic that Reaves turned down the ability to get drafted in order to pick his own spot after the draft.
whoa
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #63
steverocks35
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaSooner View Post
Both of the Lakers two-way guys spent significant time on the roster last year and the year before.
Well there are definitely roster spots open after the Westbrook deal. Good for him.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 03:33 PM   #64
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
from the Athletic

Best undrafted players ​

The understanding was between the Lakers organization and him or all teams. The former makes the most sense.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:40 PM   #65
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
The understanding was between the Lakers organization and him or all teams. The former makes the most sense.
most likely his agent asked teams picking from 45-60 to not take him ..
Old 07-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #66
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Yep, exactly.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:41 PM   #67
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:

I wonder if these teams obliged and respected the agent's request or they just had no inclination to draft Austin. We'll obviously never know.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #68
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
I wonder if these teams obliged and respected the agent's request or they just had no inclination to draft Austin. We'll obviously never know.
Seems like at least 1 was going to take him
Old 07-30-2021, 09:59 PM   #69
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Seems like at least 1 was going to take him
Yep, you would think so. If Iím not mistaken, the Pacers, Celtics, Spurs, Sixers, Hornets, and Nets all had individual workouts with AR and all had picks in the 40-60 picks of the second round.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:33 AM   #70
WaymanFan
Administrator

With LeBron, Davis and Westbrook in fold, there is a humungous drop-off after that. As such, I like Reaves chance to make the Lakers. However, watching team after team passing on him, it brought back tense draft night memories of Ace McGhee waiting to hear his name called. I just hope Reaves NBA career turns out a lot better.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 08:28 AM   #71
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
With LeBron, Davis and Westbrook in fold, there is a humungous drop-off after that. As such, I like Reaves chance to make the Lakers. However, watching team after team passing on him, it brought back tense draft night memories of Ace McGhee waiting to hear his name called. I just hope Reaves NBA career turns out a lot better.
He already made it.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:00 PM   #72
pnkranger
All-American

Quote:
He already made it.
I donít know why people donít understand it. He is an LA Laker with a guaranteed contract for this season. He will be active on the roster for NBA games throughout the year while also playing in the G league.

They canít cut him right now unless they want to pay him his full contract for the year, which wonít/never happens.
pnkranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #73
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
I donít know why people donít understand it. He is an LA Laker with a guaranteed contract for this season. He will be active on the roster for NBA games throughout the year while also playing in the G league.

They canít cut him right now unless they want to pay him his full contract for the year, which wonít/never happens.
I think some people donít WANT to understand it because they have been adamant for two years that he isnít good enough to be an NBA player.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:52 PM   #74
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I think some people donít WANT to understand it because they have been adamant for two years that he isnít good enough to be an NBA player.
Or perhaps most people are not familiar with the terminology involved such as "two way deal." Since the term was initially introduced did you know its meaning from the get go or did that occur thereafter, and if so, by how much?
Old 07-31-2021, 02:12 PM   #75
Sooner04
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkranger View Post
I donít know why people donít understand it.
Well, I'm not Frank Layden, but the minutiae of NBA deals often eludes my grasp. The 2-way contract seems to be a new animal. Did it come about after the last round of collective bargaining?

Is Austin Reaves in a better situation today, not being drafted, than say Nate Erdmann, Corey Brewer and Isaiah Cousins, all of whom were drafted and never played a single NBA minute? What are the intricacies of his situation? By being 2-way, what rights are granted now to an undrafted player like Reaves as opposed to the three I mentioned who met the executioner's blade before Training Camp even began?

Your stance is that Reaves has made it. Has he cashed a paycheck?
Will all of this 2-way deal be paid up front? Monthly?
Will he suit up with the Lakers, their G-league affiliate, or both?
Is it like MLB where he is protected by something like a 40-man roster?

What is different about Austin Reaves today than Taylor Griffin, who spent the 2009 season bouncing back and forth from the G-league to the Phoenix Suns. Did Taylor "make" it? Has Austin?

While we're here, and since we have a board filled with front-office NBA beancounters, some other questions that have perplexed me.

What's a mid-level cap exception?
Dead money?
The value of expiring contracts?
Bird rights?

Thank you in advance for the help. In the meantime, I hope Austin Reaves becomes fantastically wealthy, but as long as he's with the Lakers I hope his team's record is toilet bowl city. Go Sonics!
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote