ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

View Poll Results: Is the SEC move better for OU from a competitive perspective?
Yes, OU's odds of success in winning conference and national championships is improved 27 61.36%
No, OU's odds of success in winning conference and national championships is worse 4 9.09%
OU's odds of winning conference and national championships is the exact same as before 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2021, 05:21 AM   #26
NickZepp
National Champion

Default Re: Do you think moving to the SEC is better for OU?

I get not liking the move. But the money was too good not to make the move. This will make OU and really the state of Oklahoma a ton of money in the long run. It's the right move like it or not. The SEC network deal is still up fairly soon. I think 2024 so I'm sure when that gets announced all the SEC teams will make closer to 100 mil per season.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:43 AM   #27
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
The benefits A&M has gained from moving to the SEC are widely overrated. But as long as we're comparing, why not Missouri, which is just barely treading water?
Mizzou Record in SEC:
63-49 over 9 seasons (56%)
2 1st place division finishes (and runner up conference finishes)
4 bowl games
2-10 win seasons

Mizzou Last 9 years in big 12
76-40 (65%)
3 1st place division finishes (2 runner up conference finsihes)
8 bowl games
3-10 win seasons

Basically they are losing 1 more game a year in the SEC

Texas A&M Record in SEC:
77-37 over 9 seasons (67%)
No division or conference titles
9 bowl games
1-10 win seasons

Texas A&M Last 9 years in big 12
42-54 (43%)
No division or conference titles
0-10 win seasons

Basically they are winning 2 more game a year in the SEC
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #28
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
A question for those who don't support the move to the SEC: What do you think we should have done instead?
Actively try to improve the Big 12 and stop making excuses for why that can't be done. Go find 2 other really good programs and work out a better TV deal.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:57 AM   #29
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
The benefits A&M has gained from moving to the SEC are widely overrated. But as long as we're comparing, why not Missouri, which is just barely treading water?
This is a bad take
Old 07-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #30
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
Actively try to improve the Big 12 and stop making excuses for why that can't be done. Go find 2 other really good programs and work out a better TV deal.
Yeah..i'm sure noone ever thought of that lol
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
Old 07-27-2021, 08:13 AM   #31
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
Yeah..i'm sure noone ever thought of that lol
So they failed?
Old 07-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #32
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
So they failed?
yes. The big 12 failed to bring anyone of substance into the league and as a result, the media rights are a joke.

Who do you think they could have pulled that is worth a darn?

-Romero Osby
Old 07-27-2021, 08:27 AM   #33
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
So they failed?
yes the big 12 failed. That's why we are leaving this failure of a conference. Boren wanted the conference to expand. The rest of the league didn't want to split the money. So now the other 8 are finding out exactly what they are worth.

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:47 AM   #34
NickZepp
National Champion

The Big 12 fell apart when Nebraska, Colorado then Mizzou and A&M left. There just wasn't replacing those schools. It lasted longer than it should have but it's over.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #35
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
yes the big 12 failed. That's why we are leaving this failure of a conference. Boren wanted the conference to expand. The rest of the league didn't want to split the money. So now the other 8 are finding out exactly what they are worth.
Yep here's a pretty damning article by Mandell on the viewership of the rest of the Big 12 teams. And spoiler alert it's about at the level of the mid major conferences.

https://archive.is/sx2ZY#selection-779.0-779.297

Quote:
The 22 non-OU/Texas Big 12 home games on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2 over those two seasons averaged 1.37 million viewers. The 49 AAC home games on those same networks averaged 1.01 million viewers. But take away that one mammoth Ohio State-TCU outlier from the Big 12, and its number drops to 1.10 million.
That’s just 90,000 more viewers, on average, than the AAC draws.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #36
thebigabd
National Champion

I am going to explain this in the best way I know how.... I think it illustrates the divide.

I think one of the issues that turns people off about "other programs" is their current status... P5, group of 5, mid-major, etc... You guys hear UCF, Cincy, and San Diego State and think "no way they can replace Colorado, A&M, and Nebraska... UCF currently has "X" in TV money!"....

When I hear UCF, Cincy, and San Diego State I think of their potential if they played in a P5 league. Football, for better or worse, is an oppressive institution. Why does Kansas deserve to be in a P5 league, but not UCF? Why does Indiana deserve to be P5, but not San Diego State? Kansas gets 5 times he amount of money in TV deals than UCF, for no other reason than someone made it so.

The people and decisions that formed these leagues didn't do so on a level playing field.... Some teams were elevated into "major" leagues, and others weren't. As a result of that.... players go to schools who were selected to be "high major" or "P5" or "BCS" programs... If UCF was on equal footing as Pittsburgh in terms of the their league and the prestige of that conference, UCF would have as good or better odds of landing more talented recruits than Pittsburgh.

UCF is the largest school in the nation... The schools right behind them are A&M, Florida, Ohio State, Arizona State, Texas, etc..

San Diego State has 36,000 students... Wake Forest has 5,000.

Cincinnati has 44,000 students... 2nd largest in Ohio.... Northwestern has 8,000 students.

Look at TCU.... They joined the league in 2013. Their 2010 recruiting class ranked 46th, 46th in 2009, 96th in 2008, 81st in 2007, etc...

2013: #30 recruiting class
2014: #50 recruiting class
2015: #34 recruiting class
2016: #20 recruiting class
2017: #41 recruiting class
2018: #28 recruiting class
2019: #29 recruiting class

They out-recruited A LOT of historical "P5 programs/BCS Programs" once they joined the Big 12. They went from recruiting classes near 100th, to in the top 30. This happened ONLY because they joined the Big 12. And higher rated players want to play in a league that has more prestige. Not necessarily the TEAM itself, but the league.

San Diego State, UCF, Cincy, and Boise State would experience the same thing. All in major media markets, all huge schools, all in desirable locations, all with proper facilities, etc. These 4 teams in particular would surpass Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Indiana, Illinois, Wake Forest, Syracuse, and all these other programs that get to P5 for no reason other than someone made them P5 at some point quickly.

That's my take....
Old 07-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #37
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

No offense big, but you are out of your element.

Nobody is saying those programs wouldn't improve by being in a power 5. That isn't the point.

You think it would be wise for OU to stay in a league and add those teams vs go to the SEC?

Sounds like you want everything to be equal. That isn't how the world works nor should it.

-Romero Osby
Old 07-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #38
NickZepp
National Champion

The 22 non-OU/Texas Big 12 home games on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2 over those two seasons averaged 1.37 million viewers. The 49 AAC home games on those same networks averaged 1.01 million viewers. But take away that one mammoth Ohio State-TCU outlier from the Big 12, and its number drops to 1.10 million.

That says it all. The rest of the Big 12 teams are glorified mid majors
Old 07-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #39
NickZepp
National Champion

If the Big 12 were more forward thinking and got a Network around the time the Big 10 network came out then you never saw the other teams league and the league would still be strong. Maybe even stronger than it was before. But they top 4 programs decided against that and lost their share in the market in the long term. Now we are seeing cable implode and the only real network that can keep it going up in price is ESPN.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #40
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
I am going to explain this in the best way I know how.... I think it illustrates the divide.

I think one of the issues that turns people off about "other programs" is their current status... P5, group of 5, mid-major, etc... You guys hear UCF, Cincy, and San Diego State and think "no way they can replace Colorado, A&M, and Nebraska... UCF currently has "X" in TV money!"....

When I hear UCF, Cincy, and San Diego State I think of their potential if they played in a P5 league. Football, for better or worse, is an oppressive institution. Why does Kansas deserve to be in a P5 league, but not UCF? Why does Indiana deserve to be P5, but not San Diego State? Kansas gets 5 times he amount of money in TV deals than UCF, for no other reason than someone made it so.

The people and decisions that formed these leagues didn't do so on a level playing field.... Some teams were elevated into "major" leagues, and others weren't. As a result of that.... players go to schools who were selected to be "high major" or "P5" or "BCS" programs... If UCF was on equal footing as Pittsburgh in terms of the their league and the prestige of that conference, UCF would have as good or better odds of landing more talented recruits than Pittsburgh.

UCF is the largest school in the nation... The schools right behind them are A&M, Florida, Ohio State, Arizona State, Texas, etc..

San Diego State has 36,000 students... Wake Forest has 5,000.

Cincinnati has 44,000 students... 2nd largest in Ohio.... Northwestern has 8,000 students.

Look at TCU.... They joined the league in 2013. Their 2010 recruiting class ranked 46th, 46th in 2009, 96th in 2008, 81st in 2007, etc...

2013: #30 recruiting class
2014: #50 recruiting class
2015: #34 recruiting class
2016: #20 recruiting class
2017: #41 recruiting class
2018: #28 recruiting class
2019: #29 recruiting class

They out-recruited A LOT of historical "P5 programs/BCS Programs" once they joined the Big 12. They went from recruiting classes near 100th, to in the top 30. This happened ONLY because they joined the Big 12. And higher rated players want to play in a league that has more prestige. Not necessarily the TEAM itself, but the league.

San Diego State, UCF, Cincy, and Boise State would experience the same thing. All in major media markets, all huge schools, all in desirable locations, all with proper facilities, etc. These 4 teams in particular would surpass Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Indiana, Illinois, Wake Forest, Syracuse, and all these other programs that get to P5 for no reason other than someone made them P5 at some point quickly.

That's my take....
And again, Boren wanted us to grab some of those teams when a&m and Mizzou left. The other teams in the conference were against it. How is that OU's fault?

Old 07-27-2021, 11:42 AM   #41
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:

Since 1977 Indiana has finished 3 seasons ranked in the top 25 while SDSU has achieved the same thing but 2 times. Football is also bigger in that region than Southern California. Also, school enrollment is not correlated to how good a football team is.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #42
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
yes. The big 12 failed to bring anyone of substance into the league and as a result, the media rights are a joke.

Who do you think they could have pulled that is worth a darn?
the media rights are actually really good right now .. (and have been in the last 10 years)

but .. they will be garbage going forward .. starting in 2025 ..
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #43
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
And again, Boren wanted us to grab some of those teams when a&m and Mizzou left. The other teams in the conference were against it. How is that OU's fault?
the teams were against it because ESPN and Fox told the big 12 that adding those teams would NOT even pay for themselves in a tv contract ..

ie adding any team would cost the 10 schools actual money each and every year ..
Old 07-27-2021, 12:22 PM   #44
Max Power
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
the teams were against it because ESPN and Fox told the big 12 that adding those teams would NOT even pay for themselves in a tv contract ..

ie adding any team would cost the 10 schools actual money each and every year ..
fair, but my point still remains, how is this OU's fault? Big wants this so bad to be OU being the bad guy when its just not true.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #45
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

Maybe BYU and Louisville back then wouldn't cost money. That's about it.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #46
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
You think it would be wise for OU to stay in a league and add those teams vs go to the SEC?
From a competitive perspective, yes. You guys will feel the same way when league championships and what not disappear. I have seen how OU fans react to losing a game. It's about to happen a lot more often. They won't care about TV money at that point.

Quote:
Football is also bigger in that region than Southern California. Also, school enrollment is not correlated to how good a football team is.
Ok so you're saying that players wouldn't want to go play football in San Diego in a brand new stadium in a P5 conference. I just think we are going to have to disagree on that one.

As for enrollment.... I am illustrating how absurd the system is. That is one of dozens of reasons the current system, run by a cartel of blue bloods and ESPN, holds programs down for no good reason other than to maintain status quo. The biggest school in the country, in one of the biggest football states and regions of the country, can't be a "high major" but Wake Forest can?

Having the same 4 teams play for national titles every year is GREAT money... Might as well keep it that way.

Change the structure of conferences, add way more "p5" schools and leagues, and you will see the talent spread out. It's a guarantee.

Not doing that is exactly how you end up with this:

2021- Ohio State
2020- Alabama
2019- LSU
2018- Clemson
2017- Alabama
2016- Alabama
2015- Alabama
2014- Ohio State
2013- Florida State
2012- Alabama
2011- Alabama
2010- Auburn
2009- Alabama
2008- Florida
2007- LSU
2006- Florida
2005- Texas

I mean come on....

Quote:
Big wants this so bad to be OU being the bad guy when its just not true.
I don't want OU to be the bad guy.... I don't want OU to go to the SEC.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:08 PM   #47
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
From a competitive perspective, yes. You guys will feel the same way when league championships and what not disappear. I have seen how OU fans react to losing a game. It's about to happen a lot more often. They won't care about TV money at that point.

Ok so you're saying that players wouldn't want to go play football in San Diego in a brand new stadium in a P5 conference. I just think we are going to have to disagree on that one.

As for enrollment.... I am illustrating how absurd the system is. That is one of dozens of reasons the current system, run by a cartel of blue bloods and ESPN, holds programs down for no good reason other than to maintain status quo. The biggest school in the country, in one of the biggest football states and regions of the country, can't be a "high major" but Wake Forest can?

Having the same 4 teams play for national titles every year is GREAT money... Might as well keep it that way.

Change the structure of conferences, add way more "p5" schools and leagues, and you will see the talent spread out. It's a guarantee.

Not doing that is exactly how you end up with this:

2021- Ohio State
2020- Alabama
2019- LSU
2018- Clemson
2017- Alabama
2016- Alabama
2015- Alabama
2014- Ohio State
2013- Florida State
2012- Alabama
2011- Alabama
2010- Auburn
2009- Alabama
2008- Florida
2007- LSU
2006- Florida
2005- Texas

I mean come on....

Clearly I did not state this, but nice try. The Aztecs have fielded a program dating back many years thus it's not new news that they have a division 1 program. Whatever allure they have has had minimal success over the years and chances are it remains just that.

And as far as becoming a card carrying member to the SEC it looks as if it's a fait accompli thus you have but one of two choices to make for you could accept it or reject it.

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 07-27-2021 at 01:11 PM.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #48
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
fair, but my point still remains, how is this OU's fault? Big wants this so bad to be OU being the bad guy when its just not true.
i agree with you it is NOT OU's fault
Old 07-27-2021, 01:35 PM   #49
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
no i am saying that no one (relatively speaking) in Southern California would want to watch them play on TV ..
Old 07-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #50
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
to a point yest. But we haven't won a national championship in 21 years...the longest drought ever. It is plainly obvious that the big 12 isn't conducive to us winning the national championship. We can dominate the big 12 sure. I think most fans realize we will lose more games but we should be better off in the long run.

Quote:

Who is going to be bigabd's new texas tech?

-Romero Osby