ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 07-22-2021, 06:41 PM   #51
NickZepp
National Champion

Default Re: So we may be seeing the Big 12 RIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
Most are predicting the conference collapses.
Depends on what happens with the Pac. Rumors are swirling that USC and UCLA are talking with the Big 10. We could see some remnants from the PAC/Big 12 form a new league with maybe Houston/BYU/Boise filling in voids.
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:28 PM   #52
big-hOUnd
Walk-on

I see it all coming full circle, the reformation of the Big 8 Conference!😂
big-hOUnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:43 PM   #53
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
If OU & Texas leave itís no longer a P5 conference. They could run the table & still wonít be ranked top 4. They will also lose talented recruits because it wonít be a P5 conference anymore.

Also if the SEC turns into a super conference then the others will follow suit. About 3 more teams will get plucked away.

Baylor is the defending National Champion. Taking OU and Texas out they could still have 4 teams in the Top 25.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:51 PM   #54
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms View Post
Baylor is the defending National Champion. Taking OU and Texas out they could still have 4 teams in the Top 25.

My post was a response in regards to football. I know this is a basketball board, but this whole possible realignment is because of football.

If the conference wanted to be a basketball conference, & bring in 2 basketball schools, they could easily do so. That won’t happen because football brings in the money, so therefore more schools would leave the conference.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #55
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
Depends on what happens with the Pac. Rumors are swirling that USC and UCLA are talking with the Big 10. We could see some remnants from the PAC/Big 12 form a new league with maybe Houston/BYU/Boise filling in voids.
where are you seeing this with USC and UCLA
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #56
hoopsaustin
Final Four

If Beebee didnt exist, i believe that the big 12 could have expanded instead of losing our teams and wed be 2nd above the big 10 and below the sec bc espn, in terms of $$ and prestige. Makes me sick that we are moving.. but we prolly have to in order to ensure success and $$
Old 07-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #57
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
If Beebee didnt exist, i believe that the big 12 could have expanded instead of losing our teams and wed be 2nd above the big 10 and below the sec bc espn, in terms of $$ and prestige. Makes me sick that we are moving.. but we prolly have to in order to ensure success and $$
Agreed. The Big12 hasnít been managed well in awhile. When OU/UT almost went to the Pac12 I knew they would leave eventually because the Big12 wasnít aggressive in expansion, they were just trying to hold on.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #58
OU84
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I hate supersized conferences with a passion. This would a very depressing development for me. And all those fans (mostly on the football boards) who think it's going to be some kind of magic move that will benefit us greatly I think are seriously kidding themselves. We would be one of several good-to-great programs and we'd be the new kids on the block, with little to no power or influence.

The SEC also is a slimy conference; if we have to dive into the muck and mire to keep up, it'll be embarrassing. We have our share of misdeeds in the past, but we've run pretty darned clean programs in this century and I very much want to see that continue.
agree
OU84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #59
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
I hate supersized conferences with a passion. This would a very depressing development for me. And all those fans (mostly on the football boards) who think it's going to be some kind of magic move that will benefit us greatly I think are seriously kidding themselves. We would be one of several good-to-great programs and we'd be the new kids on the block, with little to no power or influence.

The SEC also is a slimy conference; if we have to dive into the muck and mire to keep up, it'll be embarrassing. We have our share of misdeeds in the past, but we've run pretty darned clean programs in this century and I very much want to see that continue.
I don't like supersized conference either but this will be very good for OU.

As is, OU would be the favorite over every team in the league outside of bama.

Many recruits we have missed on were set on playing in the SEC

We will easily be a top 5 class every year.

We will lose more, but with the expanded playoff, we will be in the playoff every year as well
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #60
mict085
All-Conference

I was a huge fan of the big8. Many wonderful memories of both football and basketball in that conference. The original Big12 was a great conference but it was the beginning of killing many great traditions and rivalries. It eroded our rivalry with Nebraska and much of our Big12 north rivals. When Nebraska and aTm left, the conference was doomed. Replacing them with TCU and wvu wasnít enough.

Now, with all of the changes, NIL, economic effects of COVID, etc. it has become necessary for OU to find a better solution. Joining the SEC with texas is the best possible outcome of the remaining choices. Iím nostalgic about what was, but the reality is, thatís gone. This is about OU being in the best position for success and itís the right move.

In the coming years, we should be able to upgrade or build a new arena for basketball, upgrade or build new baseball/softball facilities, as well as continue to upgrade the football stuff. This will also position OU to hire the best coaches and recruit the best players without having to overcome unnecessary obstacles that have been in the way in the past.

Overall, itís the best possible outcome for OU today and for the future. I will never chant SEC! Tho. It will always be Boomer Sooner!
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #61
Eielson
All-American

OU to SEC is imminent.

OSU might get neutered by this -- may be a mid-major program soon. I think WVU is a safe bet for ACC, and KU probably lands in a power conference, but nobody else is safe. KSU and TCU have no chance. Tech's outlook is grim, as is ISU if they can't get B10 to bite. What a fortunate time for Campbell to have his run of success!
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #62
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
OU to SEC is imminent.

OSU might get neutered by this -- may be a mid-major program soon. I think WVU is a safe bet for ACC, and KU probably lands in a power conference, but nobody else is safe. KSU and TCU have no chance. Tech's outlook is grim, as is ISU if they can't get B10 to bite. What a fortunate time for Campbell to have his run of success!
If the PAC 12 doesn't pick up Big 12 teams then they will all be mid majors. OSU almost has to take an offer from the PAC even though that is a terrible fit. They just won't get enough money as a mid major to keep up what they've paid for.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #63
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
where are you seeing this with USC and UCLA
It's just back talk rumor type stuff with lawyers. I don't know about anything at this point till it all becomes official. There will be a lot of moving parts going around.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #64
thebigabd
National Champion

The remaining 8 need to stick together and try to grow the league... I did some research and the programs that make the most sense for future growth are Central Florida, Cincinnati, San Diego State, and UNLV.

UNLV is now in a major market and plays in Allegiant Stadium. Arguably a top 5 football venue in the world where the Raiders play.

Central Florida has been next in line for a promotion for awhile now. They have P5 facilities.

San Diego State is in a major city that just lost it's pro team.. Has 35,000 students... And would do really well in a better league.

Cincinnati would be very strong in a better league in a few years.

It's not going to have the same appeal, but there is good growth for the future.... They will need to schedule wisely in the non-conference

Last edited by thebigabd; 07-24-2021 at 06:52 AM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:26 AM   #65
mict085
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
The remaining 8 need to stick together and try to grow the league... I did some research and the programs that make the most sense for future growth are Central Florida, Cincinnati, San Diego State, and UNLV.

UNLV is now in a major market and plays in Allegiant Stadium. Arguably a top 5 football venue in the world where the Raiders play.

Central Florida has been next in line for a promotion for awhile now. They have P5 facilities.

San Diego State is in a major city that just lost it's pro team.. Has 35,000 students... And would do really well in a better league.

It's not going to have the same appeal, but there is good growth for the future.... They will need to schedule wisely in the non-conference
Kansas will jump to the B1G at the first opportunity. So will anyone else if they get an offer from ACC or PAC. Anyway, the TV networks will ultimately decide who goes where. Your logic, while valid, is not the same as the logic used by TV partners.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:32 AM   #66
BoulderSooner
Owner/Operator

Quote:
It's just back talk rumor type stuff with lawyers. I don't know about anything at this point till it all becomes official. There will be a lot of moving parts going around.
You mean some rando on a message board ?

Lol
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:42 AM   #67
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Kansas will jump to the B1G at the first opportunity. So will anyone else if they get an offer from ACC or PAC. Anyway, the TV networks will ultimately decide who goes where. Your logic, while valid, is not the same as the logic used by TV partners.
This. The conference will pretend to stay united for as long as possible, but the second a team gets another offer from P5 they are taking it.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #68
NickZepp
National Champion

Quote:

The problem is money. The 8 programs would go from about 30 million a year each to around 15 million a year. That's just not sustainable. Maybe they could make slightly more if they got some streaming site like Amazon to broadcast games but it's still going to be well short of what they were making. And the way these programs budget it won't be sustainable. Also if KU and ISU get an invite to the Big 10 they stand to make more than they were making in the Big 12 around 50 million. ACC is making more than Big 12 teams are too so WVU if they get an invite they would say yes. Honestly for OSU ACC is better than the PAC.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #69
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Quote:
The problem is money. The 8 programs would go from about 30 million a year each to around 15 million a year. That's just not sustainable. Maybe they could make slightly more if they got some streaming site like Amazon to broadcast games but it's still going to be well short of what they were making. And the way these programs budget it won't be sustainable. Also if KU and ISU get an invite to the Big 10 they stand to make more than they were making in the Big 12 around 50 million. ACC is making more than Big 12 teams are too so WVU if they get an invite they would say yes. Honestly for OSU ACC is better than the PAC.

The DMN suggested this morning that they add Gonzaga and BYU and become a basketball super conference. I honestly believe that the NIL is more of a threat to the OSUs of the world than realignment. The Bamas, OUs, Texas and Ohio States of the world will separate now more than ever because of NIL.

ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:07 PM   #70
Eielson
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms View Post
The DMN suggested this morning that they add Gonzaga and BYU and become a basketball super conference. I honestly believe that the NIL is more of a threat to the OSUs of the world than realignment. The Bamas, OUs, Texas and Ohio States of the world will separate now more than ever because of NIL.
If they want to be a basketball super-conference, they would also have to poach about 6 teams from the AAC and Big East including Villanova and Houston. Swapping out OU/UT for Gonzaga/BYU ain't gonna get it done.
Old 07-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #71
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
If they want to be a basketball super-conference, they would also have to poach about 6 teams from the AAC and Big East including Villanova and Houston. Swapping out OU/UT for Gonzaga/BYU ain't gonna get it done.
Nah.... They could be a really good basketball league by adding Gonzaga, BYU, Memphis, Creighton... Getting back up to 12 teams.

I still like UCF, San Diego State, UNLV, and Cincy... Good potential in football and basketball. P5 football facilities. Excellent recruiting areas. Would be even better if they could get Nebraska and BYU and get a 14 team league going.

Big 12 (Something Division)
Kansas
Kansas State
UNLV (playing a world class football stadium)
Nebraska
BYU
Iowa State
San Diego State (has a brand new football stadium being constructed for next year)

Big 12 (The Other Division)
West Virginia
Central Florida
Cincy
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma State

There's your conference right there.... Any given football season and WVU, UCF, Tech, OSU, Baylor, Nebraska, SDSU are top 25 teams. You can't not be a P5 league when half your league is usually in the Top 25.

And it's a killer basketball league too.

Last edited by thebigabd; 07-24-2021 at 03:23 PM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #72
WichitaSooner
All-American

Quote:
Nah.... They could be a really good basketball league by adding Gonzaga, BYU, Memphis, Creighton... Getting back up to 12 teams.

I still like UCF, San Diego State, UNLV, and Cincy... Good potential in football and basketball. P5 football facilities. Excellent recruiting areas. Would be even better if they could get Nebraska and BYU and get a 14 team league going.

Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
BYU
Iowa State
San Diego State (has a brand new football stadium being constructed for next year)

West Virginia
Central Florida
Cincy
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma State

There's your conference right there.... Any given football season and WVU, UCF, Tech, OSU, Baylor, Nebraska, SDSU are top 25 teams. You can't not be a P5 league when half your league is usually in the Top 25.

This is a joke, right? Any given year? When was the last time Nebraska, Tech, and SD State were top 25 in the same year? This isnít close to a P5.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #73
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
This is a joke, right? Any given year? When was the last time Nebraska, Tech, and SD State were top 25 in the same year? This isnít close to a P5.
On any given year at least 6 of those teams are top 25
Old 07-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #74
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:

Kansas
Kansas State
Nebraska
BYU
Iowa State

West Virginia
Central Florida
Cincy
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma State

Since 1996 UCF has finished in the top 25 on 5 occasions. The last time Nebraska finished the season rated was 2012. SDSU finished in the top 25 two times since 1969.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #75
sheepdogs1
Final Four

Quote:
On any given year at least 6 of those teams are top 25
Where do you publish your top 25? Ling Chow Gazette?
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote