ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-16-2018, 02:05 AM   #76
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Default Re: College coaches in corruption scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Capel would have been the top of the list lol
Are you implying when Capel replaces Coach K at Duke that the Blue Devils will be exposed to his Capel's not so straight recruiting actions? Coach K is 71 so the switch is not too distant into the future.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:54 AM   #77
oketex
Walk-on

Isin't this old news?
oketex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #78
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oketex View Post
Isin't this old news?
The articles that were posted are new.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #79
Soonerinkc
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
KU has nothing to fear. If the Jayhawks can come through the series of scandals unscathed that stunk up that program last year, chances are good this investigation will be no more than a minor annoyance.
AND this year...it's ridiculous.

I'm don't believe anything will happen until AFTER March Madness this year, got to keep the cash cow going.

It will be interesting if it does, I was going to do a bracket challenge for a fundraiser for our baseball team...lol.

Last edited by Soonerinkc; 02-16-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #80
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
Are you implying when Capel replaces Coach K at Duke that the Blue Devils will be exposed to his Capel's not so straight recruiting actions? Coach K is 71 so the switch is not too distant into the future.
I'm not so sure Capel gets that job handed to him, first off

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #81
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
I'm not so sure Capel gets that job handed to him, first off
Oh definitely not guaranteed but I bet he gets Coach K's recommendation and Coach K generally gets what he wants in Durham.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #82
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Oh definitely not guaranteed but I bet he gets Coach K's recommendation and Coach K generally gets what he wants in Durham.
This is why Capel’s place on Duke’s bench is right next to the man on the throne and why he will be Duke’s head coach when Coach K retires::

https://balldurham.com/2016/03/07/du...n-the-country/

Capel has also been credited with bringing in Marvin Bagley, Harry Giles and Tre Jones, among others.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #83
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
This is why Capelís place on Dukeís bench is right next to the man on the throne and why he will be Dukeís head coach when Coach K retires::

Capel has also been credited with bringing in Marvin Bagley, Harry Giles and Tre Jones, among others.
I'm not much of a predictor but I will say this: Unless he has learned a whole lot since he left here, he will crash and burn.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #84
WichitaSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
AND this year...it's ridiculous.

I'm don't believe anything will happen until AFTER March Madness this year, got to keep the cash cow going.

It will be interesting if it does, I was going to do a bracket challenge for a fundraiser for our baseball team...lol.
The FBI doesn't care about the NCAA's cash flow. They won't hold their investigation up just to wait till after the tourney. I
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #85
chuckb
All-Conference

Quote:
This is why Capelís place on Dukeís bench is right next to the man on the throne and why he will be Dukeís head coach when Coach K retires::

This is the rumor but things could change drastically if he's implicated in this thing.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #86
MercedeSooner
All-American

Quote:
You’re kidding yourself if you don’t Capel’s not involved already. All the top kids are being funneled by shoe companies and getting paid so you just hope it’s finally cleaned up and the NBA starts up a developmental league.

Nobody is signing multiple 5 star kids let alone a starting lineup of em yearly without playing the $ game. If you want to argue everyone is doing it so it’s fair game that’s fine but these kids are not going to turn down cash from 1 school just to play at another for free just for the coach or brand.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #87
AdaSooner
Administrator

Judge denies motion to drop charges:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...s-sports-agent
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #88
chuckb
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedeSooner View Post
Youíre kidding yourself if you donít Capelís not involved already. All the top kids are being funneled by shoe companies and getting paid so you just hope itís finally cleaned up and the NBA starts up a developmental league.

Nobody is signing multiple 5 star kids let alone a starting lineup of em yearly without playing the $ game. If you want to argue everyone is doing it so itís fair game thatís fine but these kids are not going to turn down cash from 1 school just to play at another for free just for the coach or brand.
Probably best to see who's implicated before we go straight to sentencing.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #89
chuckb
All-Conference

Quote:
Judge denies motion to drop charges:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...s-sports-agent
This is such a strange case. The ESPN article keeps using words like "illegal" and "funneling money" but nowhere does it really say what the crime is. It does mention wire fraud but it's difficult for me to see how universities were defrauded when their coaches were part of this to begin with.

It's pretty obvious that there are lots of NCAA violations here and, from our standpoint as fans of college basketball, maybe that's reallky what we care about. But just because it's an NCAA violation doesn't make it a crime. It's not a crime for a booster to give money to a player or recruit. It may take the case going to trial before we find out what, exactly, the crime is.

It wouldn't shock me if the defendants ask for a directed verdict at the end of the prosecution's case and get acquittals. I maybe haven't followed this as much as some of you, but I haven't seen anything that constitutes a crime.