ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 02-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #176
BCSooners
All-American

Default Re: OU vs Tech 8pm CST on ESPN2 at the Peake

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormspencer View Post
Have you ever been to a football game at Jones Stadium? If not, here is a heads up.....don't. Tech has replaced Colorado as the most obnoxious, drunk-ass fanbase you will encounter in this conference.....yes they are worse than Texas.
When I was in college we went and played against Lubbock Christian one night for basketball on a Satruday & Tech was having a home football game that night. There were 3 pickups with about 15 college kids wearing Tech gear getting drunk and talking s*** to us as we walked in for shootaround...It was like 11am.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #177
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
They call way too many in college & high school. The NBA honestly has it best. You can drive and bump somebody and it not be a foul, NBA doesn't let them sell them too often but every now and then get fooled. High school & college go flying when somebody bumps them on a drive because they know they can get the call. It should usually only be on an extended arm pushoff, lowering shoulder to make significant contact, or running somebody over who's in legal guarding position. The charge after somebody has passed it and takes more than a step is the dumbest charge in the world to me.
Agree. College refs are terrible at this call, and I think part of the blame lies with the rules committee. IMHO, 80-90% of these should be called blocks. A help defender should not be rewarded for simply sliding in front of an offensive player. I agree with those who think the charge should be eliminated when a help defender is involved. If the guy guarding the ball has legal position and the offensive player runs him over, that should still be an offensive foul, but enough of the help guy sliding under a guy and drawing a charge.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #178
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Agree. College refs are terrible at this call, and I think part of the blame lies with the rules committee. IMHO, 80-90% of these should be called blocks. A help defender should not be rewarded for simply sliding in front of an offensive player. I agree with those who think the charge should be eliminated when a help defender is involved. If the guy guarding the ball has legal position and the offensive player runs him over, that should still be an offensive foul, but enough of the help guy sliding under a guy and drawing a charge.
I think the help guy should be allowed to take a charge, they just call it too often like you said. They need to quit rewarding guys who aren't legal, slide under, or over sell the contact and 80-90% of those charges would be blocks.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #179
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
The help defender makes enforcing an already complicated rule more difficult. I liked the old interpretation of the rule where the defender was required to establish a legal guarding position with both feet on the floor before contact occurred. The defender could move laterally from that position but not to the side.

Now, officials call a charge when it was obvious the defender was still moving sideways and was not in a legal guarding position when the offensive player left his feet to pass or shoot. They also react to a flop, a violation on its own that is never called.

You’re right in that the rules committee is to blame. They keep changing the rule, which only makes matters worse not better.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #180
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
I didn't notice the exchange you mention, but have no doubt it happened. I would add: this is a perfect example of players being held accountable. Lots of posters seem to think that Lon doesn't do that, mainly because he doesn't rant and rave and do things in an overtly public manner. But he most definitely holds player accountable. It's not just random, dumb luck that you don't see our guts getting in fights, getting technicals, or getting in much trouble off the floor.
watch replay 14:50-15:10 minute mark

Right after a TO
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #181
vbdad
Starter

Alondes has a pass or two a game like the one Coach just mentioned. You have to value the ball. He also doesn’t defend very well.
He was pulled quickly and Hill came in and produced. LK stuck with the guy who was playing well.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #182
MJSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Alondes has a pass or two a game like the one Coach just mentioned. You have to value the ball. He also doesn’t defend very well.
He was pulled quickly and Hill came in and produced. LK stuck with the guy who was playing well.
One thing I think you can say about Kruger that is positive is he will give a player every opportunity to succeed on the floor. If you are having a bad night shooting, or make a TO or two, he is not going to pull you just to pull you. He will give you a chance to play through it. He's not like Kelvin in that you make a bad pass or take a shot that is not in the flow of the offense, you are benched immediately.

LK is also a guy to ride the hot hand, it seems like this is a carryover from his NBA mentality. Hill & Kur contributed immediately and the team played better when they were on the floor so they got a lot of PT last night.

With that said, I have noticed LK will sit a guy and not play him. Since Williams sit most of the game, it tells me it most likely wasn't due to his play, but rather attitude or effort or a combination thereof. Lon doesn't rant or rave like Kelvin or berate a player like Frank Martin, but I do believe he holds his players accountable for attitude and effort.
MJSooner is offline   Reply With Quote