ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-01-2020, 06:55 AM   #1
AdaSooner
Administrator

Default NCAA board does not recommend changes to transfer waiver process

The board’s recommendation cast doubt on approval of the one time transfer proposal to be voted on May 20th. If that proposal is not approved, Gibson and Harkless will not be eligible to play next season. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...waiver-process
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
tmeyer3307
Role Player

Default Re: NCAA board does not recommend changes to transfer waiver process

Crap!!!
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:33 AM   #3
WTSooner
National Champion

Someone said Gibson may have another claim to gain instant eligibility. Not sure if that is the case or not.

It may not be ideal for OU, but I'm not really sold on this new policy, and I definitely don't think it should be implemented immediately. Push it out a year if passed.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
Darwin
Starter

I don't like the policy. If the transfers are not eligible we will really miss JB but I thought we would regardless. That said there are no glaring holes baring injury.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I don't like the policy. If the transfers are not eligible we will really miss JB but I thought we would regardless. That said there are no glaring holes baring injury.
I think it affects two things. One, guard depth would be razor thin. Phipps would be in the top four when talking about depth at the 1/2 spots. Two, it basically ensures that we start Reaves at the 2, and a guy like Hill at the 3. I think that is less ideal than having 2 other guards starting, and Reaves at the 3. That is the better case scenario IMO.

Also, I think Gibson was likely to be a top 3 scorer on the team. Hurts to lose his potential offense. Would REALLY need Harmon and/or Williams to step up in that case.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
I think it affects two things. One, guard depth would be razor thin. Phipps would be in the top four when talking about depth at the 1/2 spots. Two, it basically ensures that we start Reaves at the 2, and a guy like Hill at the 3. I think that is less ideal than having 2 other guards starting, and Reaves at the 3. That is the better case scenario IMO.

Also, I think Gibson was likely to be a top 3 scorer on the team. Hurts to lose his potential offense. Would REALLY need Harmon and/or Williams to step up in that case.
This
Old 05-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #7
mict085
Starter

Well, this sucks.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:

Although I disagree on the starters....

PG: Harmon
SG: Reaves
SG: Williams
PF: Manek
C: Kuath

That's pretty much a guarantee at this point... Hill will be needed to backup the 3 and 4 positions.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #9
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post

That's pretty much a guarantee at this point... Hill will be needed to backup the 3 and 4 positions.
Thatís what I think unless Gibson gets eligible, which is expected for some reason.
BCSooners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
That’s what I think unless Gibson gets eligible, which is expected for some reason.
That's probably a 15 win team unless Harmon, Kuath, and Williams get a lot better. And that is certainly possible they get a lot better.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #11
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:

I don't think Williams is guaranteed anything given how he played last year. I kind of hope he wins the job in this case, but it's a little unsettling to start those three guards and only have Phipps on the bench. It can work, but not ideal.

Last edited by WTSooner; 05-01-2020 at 01:39 PM.
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
I don't think Williams is guaranteed anything given how he played next year. I kind of hope he wins the job in this case, but it's a little unsettling to start those three guards and only have Phipps on the bench. I can work, but not ideal.
How many wins would you guess? Knowing what you know about the schedule, the league, etc.

Texas, OSU, Baylor, Kansas, Tech, TCU, and WVU are clearly better in my opinion... Leaving OU, Kansas State, Iowa State at the 7-10 spots.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #13
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
How many wins would you guess? Knowing what you know about the schedule, the league, etc.

Texas, OSU, Baylor, Kansas, Tech, TCU, and WVU are clearly better in my opinion... Leaving OU, Kansas State, Iowa State at the 7-10 spots.
I don't know much about the schedule. I'd think we would be a few games worse (without Gibson) than we've been recently. I think the Big 12 should be a little better next year.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #14
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
I don't know much about the schedule. I'd think we would be a few games worse (without Gibson) than we've been recently. I think the Big 12 should be a little better next year.
Reaves is gonna have to go Trae Young with this group.... Gibson is a big piece to all this, I think equates to several more wins. We will have Reaves firing up 15+ shots per game. He took 12 shots per game on a team with Kristian Doolittle.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
That's probably a 15 win team unless Harmon, Kuath, and Williams get a lot better. And that is certainly possible they get a lot better.
Depends on schedule.

Big 12:
With Gibson - 4-6th
Without- 6-7th

Better than ISU, KSU, & TCU regardless.
BCSooners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #16
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Iíll take that bet
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #17
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:

I can't figure out this prediction. This team will be improved. They are not heading in the Sherri Coale direction. OU was the third seed in the Big 12 this year and return all but two players that saw the court. Everyone on this board trashed Bieniemy when he entered the portal. With the new transfer ruling looking like it will fail, I would not be surprised if Bieniemy reverses course (if he has not burned too many bridges). You have Manek and Reaves back. You also normally see the biggest jump from year 1 to year 2 and that would be Harmon, Hill, Kuath, Williams, Iwuakor. You also have to figure that Issanza and Gurang will contribute. I think Phipps will be a heady basketball player that can stretch the defense with his shooting range.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #18
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
I can't figure out this prediction. This team will be improved. They are not heading in the Sherri Coale direction. OU was the third seed in the Big 12 this year and return all but two players that saw the court. Everyone on this board trashed Bieniemy when he entered the portal. With the new transfer ruling looking like it will fail, I would not be surprised if Bieniemy reverses course (if he has not burned too many bridges). You have Manek and Reaves back. You also normally see the biggest jump from year 1 to year 2 and that would be Harmon, Hill, Kuath, Williams, Iwuakor. You also have to figure that Issanza and Gurang will contribute. I think Phipps will be a heady basketball player that can stretch the defense with his shooting range.
Of course, everything could work out as you described.... but when you head into a season on nearly all "hopes", it can go either way.

We know Manek and Reaves will contribute, but remember, Reaves can shoot you out of a game as quickly as he can keep you in a game. He's not a consistent threat, and Doolittle won't be around to score 25 when Reaves is off.

The entire other part of your prediction relies on hope.. The team needs Harmon, Hill, Kuath, and Victor to all get better (which they will, but not sure by how much)Ö. Then you "figure" the redshirts will produce... Then you "think" Phipps will be heady and stretch defenses.

It's an iffy season.... sometimes the unknowns give you reason to be positive. If you return every member from a crap team, it's easy to be like "oh dang, we aren't going to be good again", because you know and recognize the limitations of the players, etc.... but when you have unknowns there is always some hope in it.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:33 AM   #19
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

I think Hill would start ahead of Williams.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #20
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Of course, everything could work out as you described.... but when you head into a season on nearly all "hopes", it can go either way.

We know Manek and Reaves will contribute, but remember, Reaves can shoot you out of a game as quickly as he can keep you in a game. He's not a consistent threat, and Doolittle won't be around to score 25 when Reaves is off.

The entire other part of your prediction relies on hope.. The team needs Harmon, Hill, Kuath, and Victor to all get better (which they will, but not sure by how much)Ö. Then you "figure" the redshirts will produce... Then you "think" Phipps will be heady and stretch defenses.

It's an iffy season.... sometimes the unknowns give you reason to be positive. If you return every member from a crap team, it's easy to be like "oh dang, we aren't going to be good again", because you know and recognize the limitations of the players, etc.... but when you have unknowns there is always some hope in it.
you actually believe this?
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #21
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
you actually believe this?
He shot 38% from the field, and 26% from three.

So yes, that statement, at least pertaining to last year, was 100% correct. Those were his AVERAGES, and those averages weren't good. That means he had several games that were worse, and some that were better. On average, he wasn't efficient enough on offense to be considered a consistent threat. Throw in the 2.5 turnovers/game, and his offensive efficiency was a net negative over the season. Simply scoring 15 ppg doesn't mean squat when you don't do it efficiently. And net year, he isn't going to have Doolittle getting as much attention. Other teams aren't going to defend Kur the way they had to defend Doolittle. That is going to make Reaves job even tougher next year.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #22
WTSooner
National Champion

Put another way, in the 19 games OU played once Big 12 play started (includes MSU game), only 5 times in 19 games did Reaves score his average of 15 ppg or more (I was nice and gave him credit for the two 14 point games he had).

That is the definition of inconsistent.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #23
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Put another way, in the 19 games OU played once Big 12 play started (includes MSU game), only 5 times in 19 games did Reaves score his average of 15 ppg or more (I was nice and gave him credit for the two 14 point games he had).

That is the definition of inconsistent.
You can apply the adjective inconsistent to him if you like, but the fact that he has the potential to go off like he did against TCU affects the way teams will defend us. Are defenses going to pay more attention to him and leave someone else open? Are they going to concentrate on Manek or Reaves? How do they effectively defend both of them? Would it be nice if he got his 15 ppg every night instead of 30 one night and 0 the next? Sure. But I suspect players that are somewhat inconsistent are more common than those that are consistently contributing the same number of points every game.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #24
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Are they going to concentrate on Manek or Reaves? How do they effectively defend both of them?
They same way they effectively defended both of them PLUS Doolittle this year?

Even with those three.....two 15 ppg guys and one 16 ppg guy (I believe), we were still somewhere between 45-55 in Ken Pom's offensive efficiency. D was around 25. It was our offense that held us back last year. And the year before. And I believe the year before.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #25
thebigabd
National Champion

I don't even need to reply, WTsooner did it for me. He is spot on.