ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,675
Default SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Mark my words, SFA will be the NCAA’s Scapegoat!

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...tional-control

There may be others. But schools like SFA will receive the brunt of the punishment, while blue bloods like KU will skate by with no more than a mild rebuke to make it appear the NCAA is doing a good job. I just threw up in my mouth thinking about how this investigation will end.

Nothing I would like more than to be wrong.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #2
mict085
Starter
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,212
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

I agree. This kind of crap is typical ncaa distraction. They hammer the small schools and completely ignore ku, duke, Kentucky, etc cheating their asses off.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #3
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 3,190
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Notice who the coach was at the time. Getting 2 schools facing allegations.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
I agree. This kind of crap is typical ncaa distraction. They hammer the small schools and completely ignore ku, duke, Kentucky, etc cheating their asses off.
Completely ignore KU? They have just hit them with level one violations and are clearly gunning for them. Not sure how that is ignoring them. And Iím not sure what allegations are out there against UK.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,675
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Completely ignore KU? They have just hit them with level one violations and are clearly gunning for them. Not sure how that is ignoring them. And I’m not sure what allegations are out there against UK.
I hope you’re right, Wichita. When the FBI’s investigation uncovered what appeared to be a mountain of evidence against Self and KU, I actually thought justice would finally be served. I don’t feel that way anymore. KU’s defiance in defending and protecting their golden boy coach has me questioning my confidence now.

We all know the NCAA would rather throw the book at a program like SFA, than to come down hard on cash cow programs that produce a lot of revenue and makes them look good in the process. I would love to be wrong!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Completely ignore KU? They have just hit them with level one violations and are clearly gunning for them. Not sure how that is ignoring them. And Iím not sure what allegations are out there against UK.
Ada's point is that once the smoke clears, programs like SFA will be dealt with much more harshly than a blue-blood like Kansas. Just look at what happened at North Carolina a few years back. It's all the proof you need that some schools will simply get a little slap on the wrist for committing major violations. Both Ada and I would love for you to be right and us wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for any significant punishment for Kansas.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Ada's point is that once the smoke clears, programs like SFA will be dealt with much more harshly than a blue-blood like Kansas. Just look at what happened at North Carolina a few years back. It's all the proof you need that some schools will simply get a little slap on the wrist for committing major violations. Both Ada and I would love for you to be right and us wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for any significant punishment for Kansas.
I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree. KU has been given severe sanctions in the past, including a tournament ban immediately after winning in Ď88. Kentucky has been hammered. Louisville. UConn. UCLA. Syracuse. I never understand how people ignore the facts when pushing this narrative that blue bloods never get punished. It has happened repeatedly, both in recent history and the more distant past. Everyone loves to quote (usually misquote) the Tarkanian line about UK, but it just isnít accurate.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #8
mict085
Starter
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,212
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree. KU has been given severe sanctions in the past, including a tournament ban immediately after winning in Ď88. Kentucky has been hammered. Louisville. UConn. UCLA. Syracuse. I never understand how people ignore the facts when pushing this narrative that blue bloods never get punished. It has happened repeatedly, both in recent history and the more distant past. Everyone loves to quote (usually misquote) the Tarkanian line about UK, but it just isnít accurate.
Itís because those programs get a pass. Yes, theyíve received minor punishments in the past but itís rare and they have been cheating the whole time. KU has been buying players and cheating for 40 years or more and when self arrived, their cheating went into overdrive. These bluebloods have entire networks of people that coordinate their cheating and they either donít get punished at all or they get a slap on the wrist. Meanwhile, smaller programs are destroyed for far less.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:27 AM   #9
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,675
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
It’s because those programs get a pass. Yes, they’ve received minor punishments in the past but it’s rare and they have been cheating the whole time. KU has been buying players and cheating for 40 years or more and when self arrived, their cheating went into overdrive. These bluebloods have entire networks of people that coordinate their cheating and they either don’t get punished at all or they get a slap on the wrist. Meanwhile, smaller programs are destroyed for far less.
It will be interesting to see if this “new independent resolution process” the NCAA assigned to Kansas deals harshly with their cheating, or delivers the slap on the wrist some of us are predicting:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...on-sources-say
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #10
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Itís because those programs get a pass. Yes, theyíve received minor punishments in the past but itís rare and they have been cheating the whole time. KU has been buying players and cheating for 40 years or more and when self arrived, their cheating went into overdrive. These bluebloods have entire networks of people that coordinate their cheating and they either donít get punished at all or they get a slap on the wrist. Meanwhile, smaller programs are destroyed for far less.
You fail to address any of the examples I listed, let alone explain how those schoolsí punishments could be labeled minor. Michigan is another program I forgot to list.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
You fail to address any of the examples I listed, let alone explain how those schoolsí punishments could be labeled minor. Michigan is another program I forgot to list.
It was addressed in a blanket statement. Kansas had to forfeit one NCAA Tournament. Considering their history of allegations, that punishment seems awfully light. Also, how do you explain North Carolina's slap on the wrist for their blatant academic fraud? Yes, Michigan got hit hard as deserved, but they are hardly a blue-blood. If OU is somewhere around the 20th best hoops program of all time, Michigan may be closer to #15.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
It was addressed in a blanket statement. Kansas had to forfeit one NCAA Tournament. Considering their history of allegations, that punishment seems awfully light. Also, how do you explain North Carolina's slap on the wrist for their blatant academic fraud? Yes, Michigan got hit hard as deserved, but they are hardly a blue-blood. If OU is somewhere around the 20th best hoops program of all time, Michigan may be closer to #15.
Iíd say a postseason ban is pretty significant for KU. As for UNC, you answered your own question. It was academic fraud. Athletes at the school didnít receive any different treatment than other students. My recollection is that plenty of nonathletes also benefited in the same way.

If you limit blue bloods to only five or six schools, Iíd say Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, and Indiana are four of the top six programs in history. They have all been hit with postseason bans and/or forced to vacate tourney wins.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Iíd say a postseason ban is pretty significant for KU. As for UNC, you answered your own question. It was academic fraud. Athletes at the school didnít receive any different treatment than other students. My recollection is that plenty of nonathletes also benefited in the same way.

If you limit blue bloods to only five or six schools, Iíd say Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, and Indiana are four of the top six programs in history. They have all been hit with postseason bans and/or forced to vacate tourney wins.
Kansas one-year postseason ban reminds me of a major bank that basically defrauded customers, and profited about $5 billion...and were subsequently fined $1 billion. OOH, they won't do that again.

Had any non-blue blood did what UNC did, they would have forfeited multiple NCAA tournaments.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #14
hoopsaustin
Final Four
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oakland, Maine
Posts: 6,024
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Kansas one-year postseason ban reminds me of a major bank that basically defrauded customers, and profited about $5 billion...and were subsequently fined $1 billion. OOH, they won't do that again.

Had any non-blue blood did what UNC did, they would have forfeited multiple NCAA tournaments.
Checkmate and argument won imo
__________________
Same ol same ol
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
MsProudSooner
National Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,864
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Kansas one-year postseason ban reminds me of a major bank that basically defrauded customers, and profited about $5 billion...and were subsequently fined $1 billion. OOH, they won't do that again.

Had any non-blue blood did what UNC did, they would have forfeited multiple NCAA tournaments.
Imagine the penalty if we had done what UNC did.
__________________
The pessimist may be right in the long run, but the optimist has a better time during the trip.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:16 PM   #16
mict085
Starter
 
mict085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,212
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Iíd say a postseason ban is pretty significant for KU. As for UNC, you answered your own question. It was academic fraud. Athletes at the school didnít receive any different treatment than other students. My recollection is that plenty of nonathletes also benefited in the same way.

If you limit blue bloods to only five or six schools, Iíd say Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, and Indiana are four of the top six programs in history. They have all been hit with postseason bans and/or forced to vacate tourney wins.
The punishment doesnít fit the crime for ku. 1 season of punishment followed by 30 years of cheating. Their entire network of people funneling cash and benefits to players and handlers, creating phony jobs for parents and giving them rent free houses and cars. They are corrupt as hell and you point to some weak punishment from 30 years ago? GMAFB
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:06 AM   #17
Stikboy
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,820
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
Imagine the penalty if we had done what UNC did.
Disgustingly unfair, but true.
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #18
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,965
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

4 year post-season ban and inability to compete for conference championships during that period. That should send a strong message.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #19
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Checkmate and argument won imo
A subjective opinion with absolutely zero factual support wins an argument in your eyes? Interesting.

I canít wait to see the reactions if KU gets severe sanctions. Iíd guess a lot of people will think nothing is sufficient unless it includes Bill Self being deported and the school never being allowed to play another basketball game. Iím still waiting for any response to the actual facts that Iíve presented regarding all the blue bloods who have been banned from the tournament and forced to vacate FF appearances. Iíd also be curious to know how many people actually read the NCAA reports in their entirety when a school is investigated. How many of you actually know the details of the UNC deal? And by the way, I hate UNC more than any program except KU, so I would be the happiest guy on here if either of them drop off the planet.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #20
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
A subjective opinion with absolutely zero factual support wins an argument in your eyes? Interesting.

I can’t wait to see the reactions if KU gets severe sanctions. I’d guess a lot of people will think nothing is sufficient unless it includes Bill Self being deported and the school never being allowed to play another basketball game. I’m still waiting for any response to the actual facts that I’ve presented regarding all the blue bloods who have been banned from the tournament and forced to vacate FF appearances. I’d also be curious to know how many people actually read the NCAA reports in their entirety when a school is investigated. How many of you actually know the details of the UNC deal? And by the way, I hate UNC more than any program except KU, so I would be the happiest guy on here if either of them drop off the planet.

It's not about winning an argument. All we're saying is that if the NCAA is going to punish a blue blood program, it should take them at least 5 years to get back to playing like a blue blood You keep referencing Kansas not participating in the 1989 NCAA Tournament. Did you know that at some point during the 1990 season, they were ranked #1 in the country? That could never happen with a severe punishment. Scholarships would be reduced, players would be transferring, etc.

Think OU football during that same timeframe. Our punishment was severe (a blue blood yes, but the NCAA didn't like us suing them earlier that decade) and it took several years to start playing like a blue blood again. Even if Gary Gibbs was an elite head coach, the earliest reasonable timeframe which OU could have been competing for National Championships was YEAR FIVE. That's basically what I would like to see with the blue bloods who are cheating in college basketball.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #21
BCSooners
All-American
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Enid, OK
Posts: 3,190
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
A subjective opinion with absolutely zero factual support wins an argument in your eyes? Interesting.

I canít wait to see the reactions if KU gets severe sanctions. Iíd guess a lot of people will think nothing is sufficient unless it includes Bill Self being deported and the school never being allowed to play another basketball game. Iím still waiting for any response to the actual facts that Iíve presented regarding all the blue bloods who have been banned from the tournament and forced to vacate FF appearances. Iíd also be curious to know how many people actually read the NCAA reports in their entirety when a school is investigated. How many of you actually know the details of the UNC deal? And by the way, I hate UNC more than any program except KU, so I would be the happiest guy on here if either of them drop off the planet.
I hate after the fact punishments. Vacating wins & FF doesnít change the feeling KU had in those wins, and doesnít change that another team didnít make the FF. Take away those wins and punish them for the future harshly.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #22
thebigabd
National Champion
 
thebigabd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,965
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
It's not about winning an argument. All we're saying is that if the NCAA is going to punish a blue blood program, it should take them at least 5 years to get back to playing like a blue blood You keep referencing Kansas not participating in the 1989 NCAA Tournament. Did you know that at some point during the 1990 season, they were ranked #1 in the country? That could never happen with a severe punishment. Scholarships would be reduced, players would be transferring, etc.

Think OU football during that same timeframe. Our punishment was severe (a blue blood yes, but the NCAA didn't like us suing them earlier that decade) and it took several years to start playing like a blue blood again. Even if Gary Gibbs was an elite head coach, the earliest reasonable timeframe which OU could have been competing for National Championships was YEAR FIVE. That's basically what I would like to see with the blue bloods who are cheating in college basketball.
I think this is pretty reasonable.
__________________
Lonnie Kruger = YES
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #23
WichitaSooner
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
It's not about winning an argument. All we're saying is that if the NCAA is going to punish a blue blood program, it should take them at least 5 years to get back to playing like a blue blood You keep referencing Kansas not participating in the 1989 NCAA Tournament. Did you know that at some point during the 1990 season, they were ranked #1 in the country? That could never happen with a severe punishment. Scholarships would be reduced, players would be transferring, etc.

Think OU football during that same timeframe. Our punishment was severe (a blue blood yes, but the NCAA didn't like us suing them earlier that decade) and it took several years to start playing like a blue blood again. Even if Gary Gibbs was an elite head coach, the earliest reasonable timeframe which OU could have been competing for National Championships was YEAR FIVE. That's basically what I would like to see with the blue bloods who are cheating in college basketball.
Thatís pretty much what they did to UK in Ď88. Blood doesnít get much bluer than that. Two-year postseason ban and no national TV for a season. It took them several years to get back to being a legit title contender.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #24
WaymanFan
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,974
Default Re: SFA charged with Lack of Institutional Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
That’s pretty much what they did to UK in ‘88. Blood doesn’t get much bluer than that. Two-year postseason ban and no national TV for a season. It took them several years to get back to being a legit title contender.
Yes, that is true. They did nail Kentucky pretty good...likely because they didn't have a choice when it became public that a pile of cash from Eddie Sutton assistant Dwayne Casey was sent to the wrong address. However, it just wasn't even close to enough of a deterrent to other major programs...really wish they would have sent Kansas a message by now. We're all hoping you are right and they'll do it this time - but most of us will remain skeptical.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com