ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
thebigabd
National Champion

Default JUCO Recruiting: The stage is set

Devonte Bandoo out of Hutchinson CC signed on with Baylor today over West Virginia, Minnesota, South Carolina, and Indiana.... Meaning that the area juco targets are all gone. Trice went to KSU, Miricevic went to South Florida, Ricky Torres went to Wichita State. OU recruited Reynolds and Calixte directly over Bandoo and Torres.

I was criticized in the other recruiting thread for hand-picking players over the past 1-3 years within driving distance of Norman that OU never offered scholarships to, but only after they did well in college. That is fair.... such as Shakur Juiston, Vladimir Broadziansky, Rob Gray, and Loal Acuil to name a few... All those guys made all-conference teams and were 3-4 hours away from Norman and didn't get a look.

So this year it is Bandoo, Torres, Trice, and Miricevic. At least OU knew about these guys at some point, especially Trice who had a visit scheduled but he jumped on the KSU offer. He wouldnt have made sense anyway because OU has 8 post players. I know OU chose Reynolds directly over Bandoo. Will see how that decision plays out.

Last edited by thebigabd; 05-14-2018 at 01:50 PM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Ghost of Gar Heard
Walk-on

Default Re: JUCO Negligence: The stage is set

At least calling this "negligence" allows for an unbiased evaluation when all is said and done.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
thebigabd
National Champion

Default Re: JUCO Recruiting: The stage is set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Gar Heard View Post
At least calling this "negligence" allows for an unbiased evaluation when all is said and done.
Probably a strong word... changed it. Well, maybe I can't change the name of it?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
All those guys made all-conference teams and were 3-4 hours away from Norman and didn't get a look.
Do you know for a fact they "didn't get a look" or are you just assuming they didn't?

Maybe they made it clear early on they weren't interested in OU, or perhaps OU scouted them and, rightly or wrongly, decided they weren't a good fit. Both of those scenarios would qualify as something very different from not getting a look.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
WTSooner
National Champion

Eh, I think this year is different, in part to wanting to have scholarships open to give out in 2019. I think it make sense to go after the transfers this year. But I do agree, constantly overlooking the JUCO talent still out there is silly.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Do you know for a fact they "didn't get a look" or are you just assuming they didn't?

Maybe they made it clear early on they weren't interested in OU, or perhaps OU scouted them and, rightly or wrongly, decided they weren't a good fit. Both of those scenarios would qualify as something very different from not getting a look.
They probably jumped in with everyone else on Shak Juiston at the end... even Kansas offered Juiston in March when everyone is trying to plug holes. Pretty sure they didn't look at the other guys. Certainly no evidence of it.

Last edited by thebigabd; 05-14-2018 at 03:16 PM.
thebigabd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
skyvue
Elite Eight

Quote:
They probably jumped in with everyone else on Shak Juiston at the end... even Kansas offered Juiston in March when everyone is trying to plug holes. Pretty sure they didn't look at the other guys. Certainly no evidence of it.
So the answer is: You don't know. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Pffft... there is no record of any recruiting interest on any of them. And yes, I looked. Do I know if the coach sent a text to their coach one time? No. I know they didn't recruit them, try to bring them in for a visit, etc though.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #9
colston15
Starter

I'll take a guy who has contributed heavily at a mid-major DI over a JUCO player 10/10 times.

Which is what the coaches chose to do.
colston15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #10
Oscar Uniform
Walk-on

Quote:
...or litigation if the JUCOs are better than our recruits.
Oscar Uniform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
No one knows for sure, Sky. Bigabd is saying there is no evidence our coaches were recruiting juco players at any point during the regular season. If they were, someone on this board would have posted it.

I do know one thing. Our coaches blew it with one of their highest rated recruits, top 40 nationally, Jalen Wilson. Wilson is a 6’ 8” SF with guard skills and a teammate of OU 2019 commit, De’Vion Harmon. I actually thought Jalen was a lock until last week when OU was not in his final six.

For reasons I will never understand, they “slow played” a fine young man and terrific basketball player, and in doing so opened the door to six schools who were increasing their efforts to sign him in November. And, yes, I know that for a fact! My sources include family members who confirmed what I had already been told.

Do I believe this coaching staff is capable of ignoring one of the most important duties in their job description? Yes, yes I do!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #12
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaSooner View Post
No one knows for sure, Sky. Bigabd is saying there is no evidence our coaches were recruiting juco players at any point during the regular season. If they were, someone on this board would have posted it.

I do know one thing. Our coaches blew it with one of their highest rated recruits, top 40 nationally, Jalen Wilson. Wilson is a 6’ 8” SF with guard skills and a teammate of OU 2019 commit, De’Vion Harmon. I actually thought Jalen was a lock until last week when OU was not in his final six.

For reasons I will never understand, they “slow played” a fine young man and terrific basketball player, and in doing so opened the door to six schools who were increasing their efforts to sign him in November. And, yes, I know that for a fact! My sources include family members who confirmed what I had already been told.

Do I believe this coaching staff is capable of ignoring one of the most important duties in their job description? Yes, yes I do!
Depressing

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #13
Ghost of Gar Heard
Walk-on

Quote:

In another thread you admitted that you were wrong about Wilson's family being big OU fans forever and acknowledged that mom has loved Michigan since the Fab 5 25 years ago. They even named Jalen after Jalen Rose. I'm 95% sure that was you. If so, you can't come back and say OU blew it with him. He was never the OU lock some, including you, thought and you admitted as much just a few days ago.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #14
usedtobe1
Administrator

Quote:
In another thread you admitted that you were wrong about Wilson's family being big OU fans forever and acknowledged that mom has loved Michigan since the Fab 5 25 years ago. They even named Jalen after Jalen Rose. I'm 95% sure that was you. If so, you can't come back and say OU blew it with him. He was never the OU lock some, including you, thought and you admitted as much just a few days ago.
I don’t think that was Ada. He’s communicated with me in several PM’s with information about Wilson. I know Ada has had close family members of Jalen’s in his house in the past few days explaining what was going on. All of his private communications with me pointed to OU. I never heard any mention of Michigan from him.

JMHO
usedtobe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #15
Maverick008
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobe1 View Post
I don’t think that was Ada. He’s communicated with me in several PM’s with information about Wilson. I know Ada has had close family members of Jalen’s in his house in the past few days explaining what was going on. All of his private communications with me pointed to OU. I never heard any mention of Michigan from him.

JMHO
This was the post he was referring to:

Quote:
Michigan is a much bigger player for Jalen’s services than I realized. I was told last night that his mother’s favorite team was the “Fab Five” when she was growing up. Her son was named after her favorite player on that team, Jalen Rose
In that post it seems to make it sound like Michigan was the real player and everyone else was looking up.

Last edited by Maverick008; 05-15-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Maverick008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:20 AM   #16
TINY
All-Conference

Quote:

Not making the top 6 let me know that ou had not been recruiting him hard. That is very disappointing indeed. I wonder if there is a specific coach who was in charge of his recruitment? Obviously they had been in town plenty of times for Harmon. Maybe they like other players a lot more? Idk..
TINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #17
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
You’re right, I’m the one who said Michigan is a bigger player than I realized. What I didn’t say is that his family were Michigan fans. Most are not and never have been.

There is a huge difference in a young girl’s fascination with the “Fab Five” twenty five years ago and spending most of her adult life as a diehard OU fan. I liked the Wolverines myself once. Liked Michigan State when Magic played there. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a MU or MSU Jersey now.

So, don’t try make up your own interruption of what I said or have ever said about Jalen’s relationship with OU and the coaching staff. He is also best friends and teammate of 2019 commit, Je’lon Harmon. IMHO, he was OU’s to lose if our coaches had not slow played him when other coaches were stepping up the pace to sign him in November. They didn’t even attend the Adidas showcase he played in. Google Erik Bossi’s blog during that event I posted several days ago and you’ll see who was there and who wasn’t.

If you and a few others on this board want to defend this coaching staff when they continue to make questionable decisions, especially in recruiting, knock yourself out! I’m tired of making excuses for them.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #18
BCSooners
All-Conference

I think there has got to be more to it than the coaches like someone better, you don't just all of the sudden cool down on a top 40 prospect for no reason. I have no inside knowledge but my guess is that OU didn't like what they were hearing from him or vice versa.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #19
WichitaSooner
Walk-on

I think a lot of people place WAY too much emphasis on the fact that Wilson is close friends with Harmon. Most really good AAU teams have multiple kids being recruited by high majors, and a lot of times, those kids are friends. But that very rarely results in them going to the same school. Even kids who flatly say they are a package deal often end up going their separate ways. Each kid has to decide what is best for him. Likewise, we aren't going to get every good kid from the Bahamas just because they know/like Buddy.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #20
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I think a lot of people place WAY too much emphasis on the fact that Wilson is close friends with Harmon. Most really good AAU teams have multiple kids being recruited by high majors, and a lot of times, those kids are friends. But that very rarely results in them going to the same school. Even kids who flatly say they are a package deal often end up going their separate ways. Each kid has to decide what is best for him. Likewise, we aren't going to get every good kid from the Bahamas just because they know/like Buddy.
Agreed. Their friendship is just one minor advantage I have pointed to. De’Vion has said numerous times he was in Jalen’s ear about joining him st OU. My guess is that helped more than it hurt.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #21
Ghost of Gar Heard
Walk-on

Quote:
You’re right, I’m the one who said Michigan is a bigger player than I realized. What I didn’t say is that his family were Michigan fans. Most are not and never have been.

There is a huge difference in a young girl’s fascination with the “Fab Five” twenty five years ago and spending most of her adult life as a diehard OU fan. I liked the Wolverines myself once. Liked Michigan State when Magic played there. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a MU or MSU Jersey now.

So, don’t try make up your own interruption of what I said or have ever said about Jalen’s relationship with OU and the coaching staff. He is also best friends and teammate of 2019 commit, Je’lon Harmon. IMHO, he was OU’s to lose if our coaches had not slow played him when other coaches were stepping up the pace to sign him in November. They didn’t even attend the Adidas showcase he played in. Google Erik Bossi’s blog during that event I posted several days ago and you’ll see who was there and who wasn’t.

If you and a few others on this board want to defend this coaching staff when they continue to make questionable decisions, especially in recruiting, knock yourself out! I’m tired of making excuses for them.
1. It's De'Vion Harmon. I think you're confusing him with Je'Lon Hornbeak who played here a few years ago.
2. I read Bossi's blog as well.
3. You don't make excuses for the coaching staff. You criticize them at every opportunity.
4. I do give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. The implication that you and others have made is that the coaching staff simply got too lazy to recruit a top recruit like Wilson. That's patently absurd and deep down, you know it. If an OU fan can't give its coaches the benefit of the doubt that their decision to quit recruiting a kid is either based on the fact that they don't think he's good enough to play at OU (highly unlikely) or the fact that they've been given indications that he's not interested in OU (almost certainly the case) then I don't know what to tell you.

The bottom line is that your criticism of the coaches with regard to Wilson isn't based on any facts, but simply speculation based on rumors about family members liking OU and his friendship with an OU recruit. I didn't interpret what you said. I repeated it verbatim. Your quote was that his mom is a much bigger fan of Michigan than you realized. You walked back your proclamations of his OU fandom. I didn't do that.

The truth is that I don't know why OU didn't make Wilson's top 6 but it's pretty clear that you don't either and still you criticize the coaches with no facts to support you. It is your opinion that he was OU's to lose and since that was your opinion, you choose to blame the coaches when OU "lost" someone they clearly never had. What's clear to me is that your expectations were too high to begin with. What you based that on, I can't say, but the coaches are not to blame for your unrealistic expectations.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #22
thebigabd
National Champion

Gar Heard.... take it easy man. Calm down.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #23
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by colston15 View Post
I'll take a guy who has contributed heavily at a mid-major DI over a JUCO player 10/10 times.

Which is what the coaches chose to do.
I would like to point out that Maine has averaged about 9 wins per year over the past 20 seasons... They are a garbage program... and in Calixtes time there they won a total of 24 games in 4 years. That is 6 games per year.

They played Texas Tech this season... they lost by 40 and Calixte had 5 points in 25 minutes.

I would bet some money that Ricky Torres significantly outperforms him this year, and of course WSU will have him for 2 seasons. I mean, we will have to see how they perform on the court... but Calixte played for a horrendous team...

Torres is 6'3''... averaged 17 points and 8 assists per game... He shoots 44% from the 3pt line... He had 268 assists last season. That is a crazy number.

They'll go to Maine for a 5'10'' point guard on a 1 year rental but wont go 5 hours to Missouri for Ricky Torres... This is the same thing we were talking about in the other thread. They will go to 7600 miles to New Zealand for Matt Freeman but didnt throw the kitchen sink at Shakur Juiston who was 3 hours away...

You can't defend that... its pure lunacy.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #24
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Gar Heard.... take it easy man. Calm down.
No worries, bigabd. My reputation for supporting our coaching staff the past ten years speaks for itself.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
1. It's De'Vion Harmon. I think you're confusing him with Je'Lon Hornbeak who played here a few years ago.
2. I read Bossi's blog as well.
3. You don't make excuses for the coaching staff. You criticize them at every opportunity.
4. I do give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. The implication that you and others have made is that the coaching staff simply got too lazy to recruit a top recruit like Wilson. That's patently absurd and deep down, you know it. If an OU fan can't give its coaches the benefit of the doubt that their decision to quit recruiting a kid is either based on the fact that they don't think he's good enough to play at OU (highly unlikely) or the fact that they've been given indications that he's not interested in OU (almost certainly the case) then I don't know what to tell you.

The bottom line is that your criticism of the coaches with regard to Wilson isn't based on any facts, but simply speculation based on rumors about family members liking OU and his friendship with an OU recruit. I didn't interpret what you said. I repeated it verbatim. Your quote was that his mom is a much bigger fan of Michigan than you realized. You walked back your proclamations of his OU fandom. I didn't do that.

The truth is that I don't know why OU didn't make Wilson's top 6 but it's pretty clear that you don't either and still you criticize the coaches with no facts to support you. It is your opinion that he was OU's to lose and since that was your opinion, you choose to blame the coaches when OU "lost" someone they clearly never had. What's clear to me is that your expectations were too high to begin with. What you based that on, I can't say, but the coaches are not to blame for your unrealistic expectations.
Ada >>>>> Gar

Spangler dunking on "the piece of crap"
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote