ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
WichitaSooner
Role Player

Default Charges

The ending of tonight's Houston game is the perfect example of what a travesty the charge/block rule is. Houston had a kid make a great play that should have resulted in a game winning and-one opportunity, but the ref called a charge with less than a second on the clock.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Ghost of Gar Heard
Walk-on

Default Re: Charges

Refs love to call charges. I think it fuels them. If it's close, it's a charge even if the offensive player has already started his move to the basket and often after he's already left his feet.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Eielson
Role Player

I feel the opposite. Way too many blocking fouls called.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
The ending of tonight's Houston game is the perfect example of what a travesty the charge/block rule is. Houston had a kid make a great play that should have resulted in a game winning and-one opportunity, but the ref called a charge with less than a second on the clock.
I agree, I saw the game. The Houston player jumped to the side to avoid the charge, but the defender spread his legs to at least twice the normal width to make sure the offensive player couldn’t avoid contact. I didn’t like the call either.

That said, UH should not have been in that position. They were obviously the best team. Then again, that’s life on the road. KU and Tech aren’t the only home teams with an advantage in their arena.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
cvangild
Role Player

My MOST HATED charge is when an offensive player is penetrating, makes a pass to a player across the court...and some douche bag defensive player slides in front of him and draws a charge...even though the ball has already been passed!!! To me...that isn't basketball! It's just a cheap way of trying to get a effin foul called...and it happens ALL the time.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #6
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I feel the opposite. Way too many blocking fouls called.
Wuuut?

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #7
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
My MOST HATED charge is when an offensive player is penetrating, makes a pass to a player across the court...and some douche bag defensive player slides in front of him and draws a charge...even though the ball has already been passed!!! To me...that isn't basketball! It's just a cheap way of trying to get a effin foul called...and it happens ALL the time.
Omg this.... soooo annoying

Manic Manek
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
The only thing worse is an obvious flop.

Officials should give players a technical when they flop, but they continue to call the charge. Is that because they love to make the charge call, as Gar Heard suggested, or are they taking the easy way out? If a flop is obvious to me/us, it should be obvious to veteran officials.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
jaymOU
Role Player

Quote:
It is making the game more difficult to watch. The college game already struggles offensively, now you add this "new" idea about what a charge is and you are just adding insult to injury.

It's time for this to be a point of emphasis.
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
tmeyer3307
Walk-on

I hate officials and the whole process! Way too many charges being called.. I watch a lot of high school ball and there are so many called in the half court now. Kids get beat and are running or sliding next to the ball handler and just try to cut them off..Drawing all of the contact, but hitting the floor.. Officials see this and just call a charge way more than they should because they see some kid hustling and hitting the floor.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
I hate officials and the whole process! Way too many charges being called.. I watch a lot of high school ball and there are so many called in the half court now. Kids get beat and are running or sliding next to the ball handler and just try to cut them off..Drawing all of the contact, but hitting the floor.. Officials see this and just call a charge way more than they should because they see some kid hustling and hitting the floor.
Exactly. Garbage

Manic Manek
Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
Eielson
Role Player

Did something change this year? I'll admit life has gotten busy and I've missed most of the year, but historically, close calls have almost always gone against the defender.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
WichitaSooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Did something change this year? I'll admit life has gotten busy and I've missed most of the year, but historically, close calls have almost always gone against the defender.
I don't think it's a change, I feel like they have always called way more charges than they should, especially in college and lower levels.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
sperry
All-American

It's awful in college ball. Another one that's just atrocious is when somebody jumps in front of a guard in transition. Dangerous play and should not be a charge.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
Eielson
Role Player

Quote:
I don't think it's a change, I feel like they have always called way more charges than they should, especially in college and lower levels.
Interesting. I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with everybody in this thread. I have the utmost respect for those willing to take a charge, as many don't have the guts.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #16
StatGeek
All-Conference

I don’t have a problem with charge calls but I have an extensive list of officiating/NCAA rules I would love to destroy.

Wins
Oklahoma 1,021
Tulsa 939
Oklahoma State 844

Post Season Appearances
Oklahoma 33
Tulsa 26
Oklahoma State 24
***Note OU has more NCAA tournament appearances during this span than OSU has NCAA & NIT appearances combined***

Last Updated 1/14/2016
StatGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
SoonerinNC
Starter

The thing I have always hated is the way they let players back the defensive player down and if anything is called it is on the defensive player in spite of the fact that the offensive player initiated contact all the way.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote