ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 01-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
WichitaSooner
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 703
Default Charges

The ending of tonight's Houston game is the perfect example of what a travesty the charge/block rule is. Houston had a kid make a great play that should have resulted in a game winning and-one opportunity, but the ref called a charge with less than a second on the clock.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Ghost of Gar Heard
Walk-on
 
Ghost of Gar Heard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 380
Default Re: Charges

Refs love to call charges. I think it fuels them. If it's close, it's a charge even if the offensive player has already started his move to the basket and often after he's already left his feet.
__________________
https://ghostofgarheard.com
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Eielson
Role Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 814
Default Re: Charges

I feel the opposite. Way too many blocking fouls called.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,666
Default Re: Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
The ending of tonight's Houston game is the perfect example of what a travesty the charge/block rule is. Houston had a kid make a great play that should have resulted in a game winning and-one opportunity, but the ref called a charge with less than a second on the clock.
I agree, I saw the game. The Houston player jumped to the side to avoid the charge, but the defender spread his legs to at least twice the normal width to make sure the offensive player couldn’t avoid contact. I didn’t like the call either.

That said, UH should not have been in that position. They were obviously the best team. Then again, that’s life on the road. KU and Tech aren’t the only home teams with an advantage in their arena.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
cvangild
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 611
Default Re: Charges

My MOST HATED charge is when an offensive player is penetrating, makes a pass to a player across the court...and some douche bag defensive player slides in front of him and draws a charge...even though the ball has already been passed!!! To me...that isn't basketball! It's just a cheap way of trying to get a effin foul called...and it happens ALL the time.
cvangild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #6
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC
Posts: 5,429
Default Re: Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I feel the opposite. Way too many blocking fouls called.
Wuuut?
__________________

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #7
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC
Posts: 5,429
Default Re: Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
My MOST HATED charge is when an offensive player is penetrating, makes a pass to a player across the court...and some douche bag defensive player slides in front of him and draws a charge...even though the ball has already been passed!!! To me...that isn't basketball! It's just a cheap way of trying to get a effin foul called...and it happens ALL the time.
Omg this.... soooo annoying
__________________

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
AdaSooner
Administrator
 
AdaSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,666
Default Re: Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvangild View Post
My MOST HATED charge is when an offensive player is penetrating, makes a pass to a player across the court...and some douche bag defensive player slides in front of him and draws a charge...even though the ball has already been passed!!! To me...that isn't basketball! It's just a cheap way of trying to get a effin foul called...and it happens ALL the time.
The only thing worse is an obvious flop.

Officials should give players a technical when they flop, but they continue to call the charge. Is that because they love to make the charge call, as Gar Heard suggested, or are they taking the easy way out? If a flop is obvious to me/us, it should be obvious to veteran officials.
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
jaymOU
Role Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broken Arrow OK
Posts: 640
Default Re: Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
The ending of tonight's Houston game is the perfect example of what a travesty the charge/block rule is. Houston had a kid make a great play that should have resulted in a game winning and-one opportunity, but the ref called a charge with less than a second on the clock.
It is making the game more difficult to watch. The college game already struggles offensively, now you add this "new" idea about what a charge is and you are just adding insult to injury.

It's time for this to be a point of emphasis.
jaymOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
tmeyer3307
Walk-on
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 413
Default Re: Charges

I hate officials and the whole process! Way too many charges being called.. I watch a lot of high school ball and there are so many called in the half court now. Kids get beat and are running or sliding next to the ball handler and just try to cut them off..Drawing all of the contact, but hitting the floor.. Officials see this and just call a charge way more than they should because they see some kid hustling and hitting the floor.
tmeyer3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight
 
hoopsaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: OKC
Posts: 5,429
Default Re: Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeyer3307 View Post
I hate officials and the whole process! Way too many charges being called.. I watch a lot of high school ball and there are so many called in the half court now. Kids get beat and are running or sliding next to the ball handler and just try to cut them off..Drawing all of the contact, but hitting the floor.. Officials see this and just call a charge way more than they should because they see some kid hustling and hitting the floor.
Exactly. Garbage
__________________

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
Eielson
Role Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 814
Default Re: Charges

Did something change this year? I'll admit life has gotten busy and I've missed most of the year, but historically, close calls have almost always gone against the defender.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
WichitaSooner
Role Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 703
Default Re: Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Did something change this year? I'll admit life has gotten busy and I've missed most of the year, but historically, close calls have almost always gone against the defender.
I don't think it's a change, I feel like they have always called way more charges than they should, especially in college and lower levels.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
sperry
All-American
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,542
Default Re: Charges

It's awful in college ball. Another one that's just atrocious is when somebody jumps in front of a guard in transition. Dangerous play and should not be a charge.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
Eielson
Role Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 814
Default Re: Charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
I don't think it's a change, I feel like they have always called way more charges than they should, especially in college and lower levels.
Interesting. I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with everybody in this thread. I have the utmost respect for those willing to take a charge, as many don't have the guts.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #16
StatGeek
All-Conference
 
StatGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,939
Default Re: Charges

I don’t have a problem with charge calls but I have an extensive list of officiating/NCAA rules I would love to destroy.
__________________
State rankings since 1965-66

Wins
Oklahoma 1,021
Tulsa 939
Oklahoma State 844

Post Season Appearances
Oklahoma 33
Tulsa 26
Oklahoma State 24
***Note OU has more NCAA tournament appearances during this span than OSU has NCAA & NIT appearances combined***

Last Updated 1/14/2016
StatGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #17
SoonerinNC
Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,436
Default Re: Charges

The thing I have always hated is the way they let players back the defensive player down and if anything is called it is on the defensive player in spite of the fact that the offensive player initiated contact all the way.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com