ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
coolm
National Champion

Default This Darius Bazley thing is gonna change it all drastically

The NCAA is about to get cut completely out of the loop between HS and the NBA. Darius Bazley getting sponsored to train for a year before entering the NBA draft is a major blow.

What will happen? The best talents will obviously do the same. The old arguments about "getting their education" have just been tossed out the window for most - they can get the degree after they make money. Plus, there's a major argument to be made in favor of getting ones' degree after 25.

I think you'll still have a demand for the college game and the huge industry around it. But it won't have the best players. Actually that might make the schools shine more after they adjust. Perhaps it will make the education they are providing so much more important???

No matter what the college game and environment is going to be irrevocably affected. Attendance is already down and what happens when the talent goes down even more???
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
hoopsaustin
Elite Eight

Default Re: This Darius Bazley thing is gonna change it all drastically

Meh the same people saying it's over prolly said the same when Brandon jennings went overseas instead of college.. And if i remembered correctly, he hated being overseas and it was super tough for him. I think with playing time too

I doubt much changes

Manic Manek
hoopsaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
OUSKINS
Walk-on

One and done has been a failure for college ball. What needs to happen is to allow HS kids to go straight to NBA. That should not be restricted. But if you commit to college you aren’t eligible for the NBA for TWO years. This is a win-win-win. The elite talents can go straight to the league, college teams get more committed players, and the NBA gets more polished and proven rookies.

www.oklahomacitythunderblog.blogspot.com
OUSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSKINS View Post
One and done has been a failure for college ball. What needs to happen is to allow HS kids to go straight to NBA. That should not be restricted. But if you commit to college you arenít eligible for the NBA for TWO years. This is a win-win-win. The elite talents can go straight to the league, college teams get more committed players, and the NBA gets more polished and proven rookies.
+1

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
Ghost of Gar Heard
Role Player

Quote:
One and done has been a failure for college ball. What needs to happen is to allow HS kids to go straight to NBA. That should not be restricted. But if you commit to college you arenít eligible for the NBA for TWO years. This is a win-win-win. The elite talents can go straight to the league, college teams get more committed players, and the NBA gets more polished and proven rookies.
A failure? The college game is unquestionably better with the best players playing even for just a year. I agree that players should be allowed to go straight from HS to the NBA but there's no doubt that, once you take guys like Zion, R.J. Barrett, and the rest out of the college game, it's going to get worse
Ghost of Gar Heard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
opsooner
Final Four

Quote:

Yes. I prefer more of the baseball system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
WichitaSooner
Starter

There shouldn't be any rule. It's a joke that the NBA or any league gets away with restricting players' rights to decide when to start making a living. Anyone else in any walk of life can turn pro whenever they want. Heck, should Serena Williams or Simone Biles have been forced to go to college?

As for the baseball rule, be careful what you wish for. That leads to even more kids bypassing school because they don't want to commit to multiple years in college.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #8
CoachTalk
Final Four

Limited effect.

NBA wants it to protect investments, more HS dudes than studs there for a while. But I think it will change at the next CBA deal.

Maybe if you dont get drafted you can still go to college. stay 2 years minimum after HS graduation. Its a win win for both.

G-League could expand a tad for a true minor league system, obviously on a much smaller scale.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
There shouldn't be any rule. It's a joke that the NBA or any league gets away with restricting players' rights to decide when to start making a living. Anyone else in any walk of life can turn pro whenever they want. Heck, should Serena Williams or Simone Biles have been forced to go to college?

As for the baseball rule, be careful what you wish for. That leads to even more kids bypassing school because they don't want to commit to multiple years in college.
there are plenty of jobs with age requirements
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
There shouldn't be any rule. It's a joke that the NBA or any league gets away with restricting players' rights to decide when to start making a living.
Not sure I agree. For the NFL, if they started letting in 18-19 year olds, those guys would last about 3 plays (maybe less) before suffering a career-ending injury. Forget the mental aspects of pro football, 18-19 year olds don't have their bodies fully developed yet to play pro football. The NFL will continue to WIN every court battle (as they have in the past) challenging that 3-year rule...and thank heavens for that.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
Darwin
Role Player

Quote:
Yes. This needs to be a NCAA rule, a contract for 4 semesters with monetary penalties. The college game doesn't need those top 4 or 5 guys if they are not committed to a college experience. The NBA writes their rules for themselves.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #12
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Not sure I agree. For the NFL, if they started letting in 18-19 year olds, those guys would last about 3 plays (maybe less) before suffering a career-ending injury. Forget the mental aspects of pro football, 18-19 year olds don't have their bodies fully developed yet to play pro football. The NFL will continue to WIN every court battle (as they have in the past) challenging that 3-year rule...and thank heavens for that.
Fair point, I probably shouldn't have said "any league" for that reason. But that is specifically a safety concern, which is also why certain nonsports industries have age restrictions. But I don't think there is a legitimate safety issue here.

As for Darwin's argument -- there is no way any top players would agree to that. And how could they impose monetary penalties on athletes that the NCAA repeatedly claims are not employees? If they aren't employees and aren't getting paid, you can't force them to sign contracts like that
Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Soonerinkc
All-American

Is there a rule they have to PLAY 1 yr after hs? If not, I'm surprised this hasn't happend before now.

If my kid was a "sure fire" 1st round pick I'm pretty sure I would advise him to just train, take some business class (to manage his money) and go that route.

Why risk injury...again, talking top 15 or 20 picks...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #14
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
Is there a rule they have to PLAY 1 yr after hs? If not, I'm surprised this hasn't happend before now.

If my kid was a "sure fire" 1st round pick I'm pretty sure I would advise him to just train, take some business class (to manage his money) and go that route.

Why risk injury...again, talking top 15 or 20 picks...
No, just have to be a year out of high school. I think your plan only would really make sense for a guy who is an absolute sure-fire top 2 or 3 pick. For almost everyone else, you have much more to gain by playing a year and proving yourself. A guy who is projected in the 15-20 range could make himself millions of extra dollars by going to college if he plays well and moves up several spots in the draft.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #15
Soonerinkc
All-American

Quote:
No, just have to be a year out of high school. I think your plan only would really make sense for a guy who is an absolute sure-fire top 2 or 3 pick. For almost everyone else, you have much more to gain by playing a year and proving yourself. A guy who is projected in the 15-20 range could make himself millions of extra dollars by going to college if he plays well and moves up several spots in the draft.
true...

do you remember a kid out of wichita east I think? this was around kobe's time...supposedly was going to the nba after HS. I thought "young" was his name...never made it.
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
coolm
National Champion

terrance ferguson went to australia for a year then came back to the states to play I believe.
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #17
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerinkc View Post
true...

do you remember a kid out of wichita east I think? this was around kobe's time...supposedly was going to the nba after HS. I thought "young" was his name...never made it.
Ah yes, Korleone Young! Worlds of talent but didn't have the mental makeup to succeed. Had a cup of coffee with the Pistons but that was it. Ironically, a kid from my school who was the same age as Young ended up playing in the NBA for a decade. Mo Evans was his name, played two years at WSU then went to Texas for a season. He was a big time recruit, too, but Young was the guy everyone had such high hopes for.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
StatGeek
All-Conference

Quote:

Players choose to go to college because itís the most lucrative/convenient option for them not because anyone is forcing them or because their ďrightĒ to play in the NBA is being infringed upon.

Players understand the value of the education, financial aid, access to world class coaching, training, facilities, networking opportunities and exposure of high level college basketball, which is why they overwhelmingly choose it.

Wins
Oklahoma 1,021
Tulsa 939
Oklahoma State 844

Post Season Appearances
Oklahoma 33
Tulsa 26
Oklahoma State 24
***Note OU has more NCAA tournament appearances during this span than OSU has NCAA & NIT appearances combined***

Last Updated 1/14/2016
StatGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #19
WichitaSooner
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGeek View Post
Players choose to go to college because itís the most lucrative/convenient option for them not because anyone is forcing them or because their ďrightĒ to play in the NBA is being infringed upon.

Players understand the value of the education, financial aid, access to world class coaching, training, facilities, networking opportunities and exposure of high level college basketball, which is why they overwhelmingly choose it.
Are you kidding? Dozens, maybe hundreds, of kids went directly from high school to the NBA before the one-and-done rule was implemented by the NBA. Do you really think that rule isn't the sole reason that the top two or three kids in each high school class now go to college? That rule took away (unfairly) their only other viable option. The NBA is far more lucrative than college (all jokes aside about how much certain schools pay players), and the coaching, training, facilities, etc. in the NBA far exceed anything college can provide.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #20
sperry
All-American

Quote:
Are you kidding? Dozens, maybe hundreds, of kids went directly from high school to the NBA before the one-and-done rule was implemented by the NBA. Do you really think that rule isn't the sole reason that the top two or three kids in each high school class now go to college? That rule took away (unfairly) their only other viable option. The NBA is far more lucrative than college (all jokes aside about how much certain schools pay players), and the coaching, training, facilities, etc. in the NBA far exceed anything college can provide.
They are here for the education they receive from September 1st until they get eliminated from March Madness! That one semester of classes plus a bunch of Withdraw/Incompletes will make all the difference in the world to these guys.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #21
soonertravis
Walk-on

I wonder if the Alliance of American Football could have the same impact on college football players. The G league follows the same rules as the NBA since it is affiliated as a minor league. I wonder if the AAF could force major changes to eligibility in the NFL by offering guys $1M to play football for a year before they are eligible for the NFL draft.

Imagine Lawrence at the end of next season saying he was going to take $1M to play for the AAF instead of coming back to Clemson.

I see major changes coming for college sports.
soonertravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #22
StatGeek
All-Conference

Quote:
Where did I state playing high level college basketball for one season was more lucrative than being a 1st round draft pick?

Of course the rule is why the elite players go to college 90% of the time, but what you are missing is that there is no rule stating you must go to college, players choose that option for the reasons I outlined.

The fairness (or lack thereof) of the NBA employment policy has nothing to do with college basketball and no player has a right to play in the NBA. Players have a multitude of options as to the path they wish to travel in hopes of reaching the Association, but players choose college 99% of the time because itís the best deal. Is this truly that difficult to understand?

Coaching and training at top level programs are the best you can receive in this country outside of the NBA and a total of 45 players (32 1st Round)have been drafted straight from high school in the entire history of the NBA (not 100s). The NBA implemented the rule because they were having trouble properly evaluating players (Kwame Brown)at the high school level, again nothing to do with college.

FYI there have been 21 players drafted by the NBA who spent at least 1 year doing something other than playing college basketball after leaving high school, my favorite is Jeremy Tyler, who chose to skip his senior year of high school (yes, he dropped out of high school to turn pro) and play professional basketball in Israel. 3 years later he was drafted by an NBA team in the 2nd round and was up and down from the minors playing in a total of 80 NBA games before being cut. Jeremy Tyler is proof you can choose whatever path you want, nobody is making these prospects do anything. College is merely the next most lucrative option to the NBA for 99% of American prospects.

Wins
Oklahoma 1,021
Tulsa 939
Oklahoma State 844

Post Season Appearances
Oklahoma 33
Tulsa 26
Oklahoma State 24
***Note OU has more NCAA tournament appearances during this span than OSU has NCAA & NIT appearances combined***

Last Updated 1/14/2016
Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #23
StatGeek
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonertravis View Post
I wonder if the Alliance of American Football could have the same impact on college football players. The G league follows the same rules as the NBA since it is affiliated as a minor league. I wonder if the AAF could force major changes to eligibility in the NFL by offering guys $1M to play football for a year before they are eligible for the NFL draft.

Imagine Lawrence at the end of next season saying he was going to take $1M to play for the AAF instead of coming back to Clemson.

I see major changes coming for college sports.
If it could get established college stars like that to play in the league, it would definitely cause a disruption, but IMO itís not economically viable and there arent enough college stars with 2yrs remaining before they are NFL eligible for it to realistically become an issue. Just my opinion.

Wins
Oklahoma 1,021
Tulsa 939
Oklahoma State 844

Post Season Appearances
Oklahoma 33
Tulsa 26
Oklahoma State 24

Last Updated 1/14/2016
Old 01-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #24
WichitaSooner
Starter

[quote=StatGeek;616665]Where did I state playing high level college basketball for one season was more lucrative than being a 1st round draft pick? QUOTE]

You specifically said this: Players choose to go to college because itís the most lucrative/convenient option for them not because anyone is forcing them or because their ďrightĒ to play in the NBA is being infringed upon.

If you had said the "next most lucrative option," I would have agreed with you. I fully understand that the one-done-done rule doesn't actually force them to go to school for a year, but I absolutely think that it is an unfair rule that penalizes kids. If the NBA was having trouble evaluating players, the solution should have been to figure out a way to do their job better, not to screw the kids over by passing a rule keeping them out of the NBA for a season.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #25
sperry
All-American

It's a flatout joke that these kids can't go pro out of high school. And yes, it only affects a small handful of kids, but for a guy like Zion he's losing millions of dollars by having to spend a year at Duke.

Let the 20 or so kids who would declare every year just go, and let everyone else self-select into college.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote