ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv
Old 06-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #3176
Speedy17
Role Player

Default Re: Softball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMont View Post
I know it's "way too soon" but I can't help but think about who will play what position next year.

I think the only positions that are locked in are Syd at 3B and Shay at 1B.

CC did a good job filling in at SS when Kelsey was out this season -- and Flores was solid both offensively and defensively in the lineup at 2B.

Could Mendes move to the infield? Will she return to the rotation of the pitching staff?

I think Rogers is capable of having a permanent spot in the outfield.

I don't know much about the incoming freshman class, but I know they are good and that we will be relying on them. Who is good enough to make an immediate impact? At what position?

Who will catch??
I think Alo has won the LF job. Given that assumption, I would expect Alo in LF, Mendes in CF, and Rogers in RF. Romero will play 3rd, Clifton at 2B, and Shay at 1B. Elam will have the lead behind the plate. My surprise will be Lyons at SS.

The big question for next year is on the pitcher's mound. How good will Brooke Vestal be?
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #3177
bob the nailer
Walk-on

I think CC might move to SS and Flores play second. Rogers is faster than mendes so she may play CF unless alexa schulz can supplant her.
Lopez will certainly start the year as #1 pitcher and work vestal into the rotation in increasing amounts depending on how good she is. Is Olmos not an option at all? Seems like she never really got a chance.
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #3178
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the nailer View Post
I think CC might move to SS and Flores play second. Rogers is faster than mendes so she may play CF unless alexa schulz can supplant her.
Lopez will certainly start the year as #1 pitcher and work vestal into the rotation in increasing amounts depending on how good she is. Is Olmos not an option at all? Seems like she never really got a chance.
I look for Parker Conrad to be in the mix.
sybarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #3179
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Very possible maybe even probable. Despite only throwing 30.1 innings Conrad had the team's lowest era with a 0.69. Although Lopez won 14 games she threw only 76.1 innings with a 1.56. There will be a lot to learn about next year's pitching staff with only only 29% of the innings pitched by the staff returning.

As a practice I never factor freshman in as an impact on the next year's team until I have seen at least the fall games. Without seeing travel ball I personally cannot make a valid asssessment of freshmen at the D-1 level prior to the season. But without question Vestal and Lyons' success are going to be key to team success next year.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 06-07-2018 at 12:08 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #3180
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob the nailer View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe there's no way Rogers is faster than Mendes.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:58 AM   #3181
sybarite
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
I think you're right.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #3182
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Realistically, the Rogers/Mendes speed thing is probably a push. I think Rogers should be the starting CF next year.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #3183
bob the nailer
Walk-on

If you watch the outfielders sprint onto the field for line drills rogers consistently noses out(no pun intended) Pendley If Mendes is trying she isn't as fast. She has the best arm, the outfielder with the best arm usually plays RF
bob the nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:46 AM   #3184
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Interesting comparison of regular season stats and national ranking to WCWS stats and WCWS rankings.

Stat-------R. Seas.-----Nat. Rkg----WCWS-----Trny Rkg

BA----------.330----------5th--------.220----------7th
ERA---------0.71---------2nd------- 1.04----------1st
Fld%-------.989----------1st---------.972---------2nd
HR/G-------1.34----------5th--------0.50----------7th
OBP--------.436----------1st---------.278----------7th
Scoring----6.96----------1st---------1.0------------8th
Slg%-------.547----------1st--------.290-----------8th

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary
Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #3185
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
Realistically, the Rogers/Mendes speed thing is probably a push. I think Rogers should be the starting CF next year.
Last season, Mendes was unequivocally the fastest outfielder. That is the reason that Pendley and Mendes flipped with the Lowrey shift. This year, they did not flip because Pendley was faster. I am certain that Pendley was in best shape she had been at OU for her senior season at the same time Mendes was not as quick as the previous year. Rogers is every bit as fast as both Pendley and Mendes. However, she will not start in CF because she does not field as well as Mendes. She is getting better but she is not at that level. Patty will not compromise defense in CF. You realize that OU has only had two CFs in the past 8 years - Destinee Martinez and Nicole Pendley.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #3186
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Last season, Mendes was unequivocally the fastest outfielder. That is the reason that Pendley and Mendes flipped with the Lowrey shift. This year, they did not flip because Pendley was faster. I am certain that Pendley was in best shape she had been at OU for her senior season at the same time Mendes was not as quick as the previous year. Rogers is every bit as fast as both Pendley and Mendes. However, she will not start in CF because she does not field as well as Mendes. She is getting better but she is not at that level. Patty will not compromise defense in CF. You realize that OU has only had two CFs in the past 8 years - Destinee Martinez and Nicole Pendley.
Yep. Loved Destinee and loved Nicole even more. I don't believe the average Sooners fan has any clue how good Nicole actually was both in centerfield and at the plate and what she meant to the team. Most underrated Sooner "great" in OU softball history.

None of the girls outside of Alo hit well in the WCWS. But throughout the regular season and into regionals, Pendley's ability to get timely hits, and do so with power, was remarkable. We will miss Nicole Pendley and I hope she has a great pro career.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #3187
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Yep. Loved Destinee and loved Nicole even more. I don't believe the average Sooners fan has any clue how good Nicole actually was both in centerfield and at the plate and what she meant to the team. Most underrated Sooner "great" in OU softball history.

None of the girls outside of Alo hit well in the WCWS. But throughout the regular season and into regionals, Pendley's ability to get timely hits, and do so with power, was remarkable. We will miss Nicole Pendley and I hope she has a great pro career.
Agree totally. Loved NP, outstanding fielder and too many BIG and timely hits to count.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #3188
sybarite
National Champion

://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Patty-Gasso-OU-Softball-Nicole-Mendes-Jocelyn-Alo-Eilyah-Flores-Alexa-Schultz-Reagon-Rogers-Kylie-Lundberg-Vanessa-Taukeiaho-Brook-Vestal-Audrie-LaValley-Grace-Lyons--119009907

https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...ons--119009907

Last edited by sybarite; 06-13-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #3189
BoulderSooner
Administrator

OU softball is getting a brand new stadium not just a renovation per next weeks regents agenda
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #3190
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybarite View Post
://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Patty-Gasso-OU-Softball-Nicole-Mendes-Jocelyn-Alo-Eilyah-Flores-Alexa-Schultz-Reagon-Rogers-Kylie-Lundberg-Vanessa-Taukeiaho-Brook-Vestal-Audrie-LaValley-Grace-Lyons--119009907

https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...ons--119009907
Great news!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #3191
j2d2
All-American

This is what I was hoping for. I couldnt see how adding an insignificant number of seats for X dollars would be economical even in the short run.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #3192
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

It appears the new facility would seat approximately 3,000. Current MH attendance record is 1,967.

https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...ers-119055984/

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 06-14-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #3193
Stringmusic
Role Player

If the new digs come to fruition it should be called Patty Gasso Field.
Stringmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:07 AM   #3194
MisterF
Walk-on

Im all for the new stadium. But why go to the trouble for only an additional 1,000 seats? Maybe the design is such they can add more later? I dont know much about ticket demand, but 5,000 seats has a nice ring to it! 😄😄😄
MisterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #3195
cjhsooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF View Post
Im all for the new stadium. But why go to the trouble for only an additional 1,000 seats? Maybe the design is such they can add more later? I dont know much about ticket demand, but 5,000 seats has a nice ring to it! 😄😄😄
Building a stadium that will, even in successful seasons, have multiple games where it is half-full, would be a disaster. Texas has that issue in football. I would build the stadium to be easily expanded to fill ever-increasing demand. "If you build it, they will come" rarely, if ever, works.
cjhsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #3196
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

If they build a new facility with a seating capacity of 3,000 it would be the second largest facility in the country behind only Alabama with a capacity of 3,940. Louisiana University (Lafayette) seat 2,790, Michigan seats 2,640 and LSU 2,489 plus 1,000 berm seating. If the facility was designed to seat 3,000 without outfield seating then it could easily be expanded to seat 4,000 with temporary seats like what they have at MHF. Or design is with a berm for additional casual seating.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #3197
gwydion
Walk-on

I don't go a lot but I have never been to a game that was full. Both regionals were listed as sold out but there were plenty of seats in the bleachers and I could see empty seats in the reserved seating. Same for the last few games of the regular season. The girls are wildly successful and more people follow them but following them and attending games are two different things.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #3198
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
I don't go a lot but I have never been to a game that was full. Both regionals were listed as sold out but there were plenty of seats in the bleachers and I could see empty seats in the reserved seating. Same for the last few games of the regular season. The girls are wildly successful and more people follow them but following them and attending games are two different things.
No different than the thousands of empty seats at soldout GFOMS or LNC. As long as games are played there will be plenty of no-shows. Peoples schedules change from the time they purchase tickets and games are played. It is what it is.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #3199
gwydion
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
No different than the thousands of empty seats at soldout GFOMS or LNC. As long as games are played there will be plenty of no-shows. Peoples schedules change from the time they purchase tickets and games are played. It is what it is.
Yes, you will always have some no shows and that is why you build based on who does show up, not for who you hope will show up and then be left with empty seats. Especially since most teams are up and down and with it their attendance.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #3200
SoonerSpock
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
Yes, you will always have some no shows and that is why you build based on who does show up, not for who you hope will show up and then be left with empty seats. Especially since most teams are up and down and with it their attendance.
Ticket sales revenue is the driving force for facility capacity. It is great to have butts in the seats but it dollars that most schools need as 90% have athletic departments are operating in the red. Ditto for university budgets as OU is about $1 billion in the red. Facility capacity should keep demand high enough tosupport the maximum attendance at the highest ticket price.

Tough job finding that capacity point and Joe C. does have more information than fans for making a good decision.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 06-21-2018 at 01:13 AM.