ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
OKUman
Walk-on

Default Depaul

Why in the heck doesn't coach have them guard the three point line. Hey have made 18 threes so far.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
OKUman
Walk-on

Default Re: Depaul

98 - 98, 28 seconds to go. DePaul ball.

Tie game. Overtime
Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
OKUman
Walk-on

105 105. Two minutes to go.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
OKUman
Walk-on

108. 103 DePaul 1 min. 22 to go
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #5
OKUman
Walk-on

Down 1. 50 seconds to go.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
Mac
Administrator

Shay is one bright spot in this game...
Old 11-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
OKUman
Walk-on

13 sec. To go Maddie on the line for two.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
OKUman
Walk-on

Missed the first. 108 tie. 13 sec. To go
Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
OKUman
Walk-on

Another 3 pointer by DePaul to win. Sad they didn't guard the three, they made 19 of them.. Worse we turned it over 22 times I think.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
rocjunkie
Sweet 16

When you can't hit pressure free throws and defend the 3-point line after shooting well over 50 percent from the field, then you don't deserve to win. This team has a lot of grit and heart, but the little things are what win games and we just did not do enough of that. This will be a very good lesson for the girls and will make them a better team as the season progresses.
rocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #11
soonerstar
All-Conference

12 turnovers by Manning and VPL. Shot 20 more free throws than DePaul did. That does not happen often on the road.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #12
gwydion
Walk-on

They were 12-13 from free-throw line, we were 23 of 33. Got to shoot better at the line.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #13
sooner8693
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKUman View Post
Another 3 pointer by DePaul to win. Sad they didn't guard the three, they made 19 of them.. Worse we turned it over 22 times I think.
It is a good thing SC put a great emphasis on defense and cutting down on turnovers this year. If not, this thing could have got really out of hand. Same ole, same ole.
sooner8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #14
soonerstar
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
It is a good thing SC put a great emphasis on defense and cutting down on turnovers this year. If not, this thing could have got really out of hand. Same ole, same ole.
+1
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #15
gwydion
Walk-on

We had 21 TOs to their 17. That's to many.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #16
Sooners4Life0101
Walk-on

We're young- I like our talent- I like our roles this year, not so many people that need the ball all game. I think we are better than last year by the end of the year.

We will be alright, but we need to get a lot better. Too many turnovers is the highlight for me.
Sooners4Life0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #17
Sooners4Life0101
Walk-on

The bad thing is, these games become really important at the end of the year with the home court advantage coming into play.
Sooners4Life0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #18
Speedy17
Role Player

Just hope this team doesn't run out of gas in February. It has 9 bodies and this was not a physical game. Of course, Northern Colorado just beat this team by six at Depaul.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #19
Hoopdreams79
Walk-on

Shay was a bright spot a making layups but that is too easy to stop if that’s all you do. Yes just a freshman but the forces she had at the end of the game that turned into a to were just too critical. Poor decision making in crunch time and then didn’t convert free throws and never adjusted defense to stop the 3- my guess is we will say we didn’t think that they would keep shooting that way - kinda like Washington last year - you can’t hope they will stop you have to stop them
Hoopdreams79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #20
j2d2
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner8693 View Post
You can say that again. About 50 times. But it wont matter. Defense has never been a priority here except in preseason chatter. Once in a while it may be mentioned in passing but without serious intent.

Last edited by j2d2; 11-13-2017 at 10:04 PM.
j2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #21
SKSooner
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Just hope this team doesn't run out of gas in February. It has 9 bodies and this was not a physical game. Of course, Northern Colorado just beat this team by six at Depaul.
I think this worked against us. Clearly, Depaul is a great program. Haven't they won their conference the last four years? They are ranked in the top 20 this year and should be good again. They laid an egg in their opener and certainly played a lot better against us.
SKSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #22
MsProudSooner
National Champion

Looking at the box score, the stat that determined the outcome of the game wasn't defense or their 3 point shooting. It was our free throw shooting.

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #23
TheMont
Walk-on

I was at the game. I loved that I got a chance to see this team in person. There were a decent amount of Sooner fans (in DePaul's veryyyy small arena), and I presume most of them were family members of players. It was cool to sit among them -- always good to be reminded that these women are good people from good families who give their all to OU.

I went to the game with a group of people who don't typically watch women's basketball and this was a perfect game to take them to because it was so exciting. They saw the most points ever scored in an OU women's game! I love seeing this sport gain new fans.

It was a VERY fast-paced game, particularly in the first half. Back and forth, punch for punch. They could not contain Shaina - not even a little bit whatsoever. She was made for this style of game. Coach Coale is exactly right that her speed is a gamechanger.

We were notably tired in overtime. Only 9 players (8 after Ana fouled out) in a very fast where DePaul applied full court pressure for 45 minutes is not conducive to winning in overtime. I remember Gabbi attempting a big 3-point shot late in the game and it was lined up perfectly but hit the front rim. She was tired because she worked her butt off for 45 minutes and didn't leave the game.

Ya know, holding an opponent to 42% from the 3-point line isn't good but it isn't TERRIBLE. The fact that they attempted 45 3s is objectively wild. I highly doubt we see anything like that for the rest of the year.

Maddie oscillated between struggling and dominating pretty much all night. She handled the press well and our offense, in general, looks much smoother when she's in there. But she also forced a lot of ill-advised passes.

ViVi had a MONSTER game. She was also VERY passionate on the bench, screaming at her teammates late in the game. Good to see that from her. I don't think it was malicious, I just assume she was frustrated that she was the only one crashing the boards effectively at times. She HAS to stop trying to put the ball on the floor all the time though. That resulted in too many turnovers. I want to see her kick it back out for a wide open 3 when she's double or triple teamed.

This was a good early test for this team. Hopefully we use it for good.

Anyone else frustrated that Soonersports.com never uploads post-game quotes for away games?
TheMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #24
Mac
Administrator

I like Shay as a starter, but not sure if it should be in the point guard roll... Williams has been scoring consistently, but Shay has more upside and really plays down hill, starting her would put pressure on the defense at ththe start of games...

Manning was guarding Coleman with her hands down, she also went for a flop and Boom! Coleman hits a game winner, as someone who is looked to as a lead/tone setter it was hard to watch...
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #25
inoref
All-Conference

Not gonna talk much about the game..to early for it but looks like the same as in the last several years

Last edited by inoref; 11-14-2017 at 12:27 PM.
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote