ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Women's Hoops Talk

Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Default We just Don't Schedule Enough Away Games

Here are the facts. By the way, it is much, much, much harder to win on the road than at home as everyone reading this knows. So if you want to have a lousier record, just schedule more road games. Of course the Big-12 decision makers have not done us any favors by making us - once again - play so many road games at the start of the conference season. But we also decided to damage our kids by non-conference scheduling - which we control 100%

Team................# Of Home Games.....# Of Road Games

Iowa State...................17........................ .....7

Texas Tech...................15......................... ....8

West Virginia................14........................ .....7

TCU.............................14................ .............9

Okla State....................13....................... ......8

Kan State.....................13...................... ......11

Texas...........................13................ ............11

Kansas.........................13................. ............8

OU................................9............... .............12

Baylor............................8............... .............11

Now just suppose we had played 8 more home games and 5 fewer road games than we did (like Iowa State). We would probably have at least 11 or 12 games won already and need just 5 or 6 or so more wins to have a pretty respectable record at the end of the year.

1. Everything would look more positive at this point.

2. Our players would have better feelings about the year

3. The fans would feel more positive.

4. Likely the attendance would be a bit better.

5. Even this board would feel a bit better about things.

6. And most important, recruits would feel more positive about considering us.

Playing all the road games like we have been doing the past few years is dumb - and self destructive.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #2
Oliver Hardy
Sweet 16

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oliver Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
Mac
Administrator

Talking Re: We just Don't Schedule Enough Away Games

I agree, normally Im ok with playing a bunch of road games, but I think OU should have played more home games with such a young team, it would have helped the team build confidence... I dont think we played a tougher then normal schedule... OU should have wont some of the games we lost...
Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Speedy17
Role Player

Default Re: We just Don't Schedule Enough Away Games

Unfortunately, I don't think it mattered where this team played. It is just a long season getting longer. I am ready for softball but we only have 15 home games in softball with only one conference series with Baylor. A lot of this is the fact that you get bonus RPI points for road wins. Lon did the same thing.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
inoref
All-American

They just need to win some of these games..home or away
inoref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #6
Rbeam1
Walk-on

We always play a harder pre conference than necessary. Sherri has always said it prepares them for the big 12. While a couple of difficult teams is good for that, it is stupid to give your own team such a hard path to success. This type of scheduling has cost us opportunities to host NCAA tournament games in the past. I have always thought this type of schedule could chip away at a teams confidence instead of building it up where it needs to be when big 12 starts.
Rbeam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
soonermom1000
Walk-on

+ 1
soonermom1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #8
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think it mattered where this team played. It is just a long season getting longer. I am ready for softball but we only have 15 home games in softball with only one conference series with Baylor. A lot of this is the fact that you get bonus RPI points for road wins. Lon did the same thing.
I guess it is NET points now that the NCAA has gone to the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) to replace the RPI.

Last edited by SoonerSpock; 01-22-2019 at 05:05 AM.
SoonerSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #9
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
I guess it is NET points now that the NCAA has gone to the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) to replace the RPI.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...&Q_SEASON=2017
The men are using the NET points and those are on the NCAA website. The women still seem to be using the RPI on the NCAA website.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #10
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
The men are using the NET points and those are on the NCAA website. The women still seem to be using the RPI on the NCAA website.
Interesting. My understanding was it was for all sports. Softball is going to be NET right?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Interesting. My understanding was it was for all sports. Softball is going to be NET right?
Here is an article from SI about NET. Read the last paragraph where it states that only Men's Basketball will use NET while other sports continue with RPI.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ment-explained
Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 AM   #12
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
Here is an article from SI about NET. Read the last paragraph where it states that only Men's Basketball will use NET while other sports continue with RPI.

https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ment-explained
My bad!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #13
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
My bad!
I just think the other sports are scared to jump in. One thing for sure, Patty only has 15 home games.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
gwydion
Walk-on

Hold it. There are ten teams in this conference. Everyone plays everyone twice, home and away so nine home and nine away just for conference. How does Baylor only have 8 home games? And we will have more than nine cause we did play UConn, Depaul, Western Kentucky and a couple more at LNC for a total of 15 home games. And according to the OSU website, the cowgirls will play 18 home games in all. Those are the facts if our's and OSU's websites are accurate.
gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #15
soonerstar
All-Conference

We play 29 regular season games. 14 at home, 13 away, and 2 on neutral court.
soonerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
gwydion
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerstar View Post
We play 29 regular season games. 14 at home, 13 away, and 2 on neutral court.
So I guess we can say those stats at the top of the page are way off.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
Sweetest OU Girl
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
So I guess we can say those stats at the top of the page are way off.
They are exactly correct. They reflect the current moment in the season - which means they reflect mostly what teams have control over - the non-conference scheduling.
Sweetest OU Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #18
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
I just think the other sports are scared to jump in. One thing for sure, Patty only has 15 home games.
I understand the reason for the limited home schedule but at least 11 of the home games are against quality opponents (Oregon State, Louisiana, Northwestern, Tulsa, Baylor and OSU). Unfortunately we only have 6 home games after March 10 and go from April 7 until May 4 with no home games. Yuk!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #19
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
I understand the reason for the limited home schedule but at least 11 of the home games are against quality opponents (Oregon State, Louisiana, Northwestern, Tulsa, Baylor and OSU). Unfortunately we only have 6 home games after March 10 and go from April 7 until May 4 with no home games. Yuk!!!
Part of it is the Iowa State series getting flipped last year because of weather. We have to go there this year and next. We only have 4 conference games in Norman. We have to watch out for the Oregon Longhorns or Texas Ducks if you want to call them that.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #20
SuperHoops
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
They are exactly correct. They reflect the current moment in the season - which means they reflect mostly what teams have control over - the non-conference scheduling.
Both OU and OSU have played 16 games thus far. How does that work with your alleged math?
SuperHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #21
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Quote:
Part of it is the Iowa State series getting flipped last year because of weather. We have to go there this year and next. We only have 4 conference games in Norman. We have to watch out for the Oregon Longhorns or Texas Ducks if you want to call them that.
I can understand the confusion. I think White brought 2 assistant and 4 transfer players from Eugene to Austin. All of them all pac 12 quality players. Elish was an All American pitcher.

Texas got a lot better in a hurry. But Patty voted Baylor not the whorns as the conference runner-up.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #22
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
I can understand the confusion. I think White brought 2 assistant and 4 transfer players from Eugene to Austin. All of them all pac 12 quality players. Elish was an All American pitcher.

Texas got a lot better in a hurry. But Patty voted Baylor not the whorns as the conference runner-up.
Patty was not exactly sleeping by bringing in Saile, Giselle (the New Lefty who shut out UW and UCLA last year) and the old crew Alo, Romero, Knighten, and Clifton. I pick OU even with 14 conference road games. Missy Lombardi is going to have an interesting year.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #23
gwydion
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetest OU Girl View Post
All it means is those teams back end schedules are loaded with home games and most teams like to play at home at the end of the season.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #24
SoonerSpock
Elite Eight

Yep, Melyssa's year might be more than interesting. In addition to the 4 Oregon girls that transferred to Texas she has also lost 3 more to various other schools. Including Oregon's top 3 pitchers in 2018. Although she has had a couple of top pitcher transfer in including Maddie MacGrandle from A&M and Jordan Dail from Va Tech.

Speculating but having 7 players transfer from a WCWS participant is strange even with a coaching change as 4 have choosen to transfer after 60 days to 6 months working for Melyssa. Could Melyssa have a faith similar to Patty's which is heavily entrenched in the program and has that become an issue at Oregon where West Coast religious perspective is much more liberal than bible-belt Oklahoma. It has been mentioned by the media as well as dress code rules.

Their third pitcher and 2019 ace to be Maggie Balint made this statement when she decided to transfer this month: “Due to lack of trust and much frustration over the past 6 months I have found myself questioning if Oregon is a good fit for me. So after careful consideration I’ve decided that I need to move on...". That lack of trust statement is a very big statement for me.

Melyssa has a very tough row to hoe. I don't know how patient the organization will be with her despite 5 year $1.7 million dollar deal. I would be surprised if the media is not lurking in the background waiting to jump on a story regarding cultural changes in the softball program.

This softball discussion needs to move to the softball thread if we continue.

https://www.ducksports.com/sports/20...oaching-change

https://www.registerguard.com/sports...ds-to-transfer

https://goducks.com/news/2018/12/21/...-softball.aspx
Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #25
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Yep, Melyssa's year might be more than interesting. In addition to the 4 Oregon girls that transferred to Texas she has also lost 3 more to various other schools. Including Oregon's top 3 pitchers in 2018. Although she has had a couple of top pitcher transfer in including Maddie MacGrandle from A&M and Jordan Dail from Va Tech.

Speculating but having 7 players transfer from a WCWS participant is strange even with a coaching change as 4 have choosen to transfer after 60 days to 6 months working for Melyssa. Could Melyssa have a faith similar to Patty's which is heavily entrenched in the program and has that become an issue at Oregon where West Coast religious perspective is much more liberal than bible-belt Oklahoma. It has been mentioned by the media as well as dress code rules.

Their third pitcher and 2019 ace to be Maggie Balint made this statement when she decided to transfer this month: Due to lack of trust and much frustration over the past 6 months I have found myself questioning if Oregon is a good fit for me. So after careful consideration Ive decided that I need to move on...". That lack of trust statement is a very big statement for me.

Melyssa has a very tough row to hoe. I don't know how patient the organization will be with her despite 5 year $1.7 million dollar deal. I would be surprised if the media is not lurking in the background waiting to jump on a story regarding cultural changes in the softball program.

This softball discussion needs to move to the softball thread if we continue.

https://www.ducksports.com/sports/20...oaching-change

https://www.registerguard.com/sports...ds-to-transfer

https://goducks.com/news/2018/12/21/...-softball.aspx
Living in Oregon is a lot different than living in Norman. Eugene is like moving back to the 1960's. That has to be a major culture change to her values.