ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > Campus Corner

Old 09-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #2101
steverocks35
Elite Eight

Default Re: Current Events Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
This is the funniest tweet I have ever seen. Soooooo ironic.

I agree it is a matter of life and death...for the millions of human lives ended via abortion.
You need to get out more.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #2102
steverocks35
Elite Eight

Bob Woodward's book is out today. Here's a short recap, copypasted from elsewhere.

Quote:
Rage Unleashed Today
Bob Woodward's new book, Rage is out today. It's going to dominate a news cycle or two.

Last week's big news from the book, of course, was that Donald Trump admitted, on tape, that he downplayed the threat posed by COVID-19. This was, if you believe the President, to keep people from panicking. Of course, few people believe the President. The biggest news on Monday, the eve of the book's publication, was that in Trump's final phone call to Woodward, the President expressed concern that "the virus totally supersedes the economy." Woodward opined that yes, the virus does supersede the economy.

Taken together with last week's news, this just underscores that Trump sees COVID-19 entirely in terms of how it affects him and his reelection chances. Abraham Lincoln, who Trump is fond of comparing himself to, once said: "If I could save the union without freeing any slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that." That quote might be adapted to Trump: "If I could get reelected with nobody dying from COVID-19 I would do it; and if I could get reelected with millions dying I would do it; and if I could get reelected with more than zero but less than millions dying I would also do that."

Here are some of the other revelations from the book:

Former DNI Dan Coats is absolutely convinced the Russians have kompromat on Trump.
Coats and James Mattis considered going public with how "dangerous" they think Trump is (though neither did).
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) acknowledges that Trump always wants the credit, but never any culpability.
The President constantly bragged to Woodward about how smart he is, how nice his houses are, etc.
Speaking of Lincoln, Trump is angry that he's not getting more praise from Black people.
Jared Kushner admits that Trump lies a lot, but says "controversy elevates message."
Former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson found Kushner's kowtowing to Benjamin Netanyahu "nauseating."
Anthony Fauci disdains Trump, and says his attention span "is like a minus number."
Consistent with the article in The Atlantic, Trump regularly denigrates the military, especially top brass.
Trump admits an affinity for strongmen: "The tougher and meaner they are, the better I get along with them."
Trump says he took an instant liking to Kim Jong-Un, comparing it to when "you meet a woman, in one second you know whether or not it's all going to happen."
The general consensus is that Trump comes off very badly in the book, especially since it is his own words that are being used most of the time. Further, in all of his past books (including All the President's Men), Woodward has contented himself to be a chronicler. He himself admits that he's not much of an analyst, so he collects information, lays it out in a readable fashion, and leaves it to the readers (or to other writers) to draw conclusions. That is not the case here, however. Breaking with past precedent, Woodward's own opinions find their way into the book with some frequency, including his final conclusion that "the President is the wrong man for the job."

And now, it is time to sit back and see if Rage pierces Trump's seemingly invulnerable armor. We doubt that the book will do the trick, since none of the other books about Trump have moved the needle, and it's likely this one will only find its way into the hands of people who are already voting for Joe Biden. However, the audio clips that Woodward has been happy to share, incorporated into a commercial or ten airing in heavy rotation in October? That might just have an impact.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:50 AM   #2103
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverocks35 View Post
You need to get out more.
Why is that? Because I believe abortion is ending a human life? I would think someone that is pro science would accept this fact.
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #2104
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Did you guys know that by far, more cops are killed in the line of duty than unarmed black people are killed?
About twice as many....

And if you factor in deaths/million, it is even a bigger disparity
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
Old 09-15-2020, 08:00 AM   #2105
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
Did you guys know that by far, more cops are killed in the line of duty than unarmed black people are killed?
About twice as many....

And if you factor in deaths/million, it is even a bigger disparity
Dangerous job, for sure... Policing a country with a broken society, racial issues, poverty, drug use, alcohol use, severe depression, etc. I am surprised they can get anyone to do it. It doesn't pay well enough to put your life on the line.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #2106
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

I sure in Hell wouldn't do it. And that is the issue with this anti police narrative gaining steam. The good ones will step down or not become cops. You will be left with the bad guys and that will fuel more issues.

There is video out there of witnesses to the two compton cops laughing and filming while they struggle to survive. Watching that female officer tend to her partner after being shot in the face filled me with pride. I hope they catch the shooter

-Romero Osby
Old 09-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #2107
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
I sure in Hell wouldn't do it. And that is the issue with this anti police narrative gaining steam. The good ones will step down or not become cops. You will be left with the bad guys and that will fuel more issues.

There is video out there of witnesses to the two compton cops laughing and filming while they struggle to survive. Watching that female officer tend to her partner after being shot in the face filled me with pride. I hope they catch the shooter

Los Angeles county sheriff challenges Lebron James to match the reward created for the shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIsTtQ2Euq4
sheepdogs1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #2108
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Video of North Carolina BLM marching while chanting "fu*k your Jesus." Beautiful people indeed.

https://thedailyreformer.com/charlot...string-videos/

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 09-15-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #2109
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

Nice to see one of the steelers support a Veteran instead of a criminal

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...n-rose-helmet/

-Romero Osby
Old 09-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #2110
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Nice to see one of the steelers support a Veteran instead of a criminal

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...n-rose-helmet/
Agreed. I think that player has supported the military in the past. Not sure if he served or not, but it appears to be something important to him. Much respect!
Old 09-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #2111
stormspencer
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Agreed. I think that player has supported the military in the past. Not sure if he served or not, but it appears to be something important to him. Much respect!
Absolutely! Villanueva was an Army Ranger and a captain. He also covered the name of the police shooting "victim" on his helmet and wrote in the name of an Army hero in place of it. Good for him.

Edit: sorry I didn't read the link above.....redundant.
stormspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #2112
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
happened in missori as well.
And in Phoenix today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NlPbflklDY

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 09-18-2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #2113
BCSooners
Sweet 16

https://apple.news/ARMT2lSZ9T-2HuKO09WmEjw

Lost a true giant.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #2114
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

RIP

Was a trailblazer. SAd day

As if 2020 couldn’t get any crazier. You thought kavanaugh was bad? Lol

-Romero Osby
Old 09-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #2115
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Man in Oregon arrested for setting a fire off the side of a highway with a Molotov Cocktail. Man was then released and 12 hours later he was accused of setting 6 more fires and rearrested.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/15/us/or...rnd/index.html
Old 09-18-2020, 11:28 PM   #2116
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Lets add one more police ambush in Philly this Friday (Sept. 18th).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C86RQRVB4WU
Old 09-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #2117
BCSooners
Sweet 16

http://twitter.com/TruthRaiderHQ/sta...83900182368257

He wasn’t shot
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #2118
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post

He had wings.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #2119
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
RIP

Was a trailblazer. SAd day

As if 2020 couldn’t get any crazier. You thought kavanaugh was bad? Lol

Couple who had RBG officiate their recent wedding are under attack for having killed her.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/you-k...august-wedding
Old 09-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #2120
SoonerBounce13
National Champion

I don’t really want to hear republicans complain when the Nominee is stalled.

-Romero Osby
Old 09-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #2121
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
I donít really want to hear republicans complain when the Nominee is stalled.
Its distinguishable bc repubs own the senate too.. i thought the same thing at first. But theres no precedent to NOT confirm a new justice actually
Old 09-20-2020, 07:00 AM   #2122
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
I donít really want to hear republicans complain when the Nominee is stalled.
Push it through. We're at war, unfortunately. I call it retaliation for all the nonsense the left has put Trump through the last 4 years (fake Russia, etc).

RBG had a chance to retire under Obama, but was too proud to do it. Not sure if she thought she was going to live forever, or if she was just so sure Hillary was going to win. Not to sound rude, but she gambled and she lost.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #2123
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
But theres no precedent to NOT confirm a new justice actually
Other than 4 years ago?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #2124
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
We're at war, unfortunately.
I do not support this rhetoric.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:52 AM   #2125
thebigabd
National Champion

As long as Trump nominates a judge qualified for SCOTUS, that is all that matters to me. Some on his list were partisans and leaders of the GOP like Ted Cruz, Tom Cotton, etc. I would fight that nomination.

The names I am hearing are Amy Barrett and Barbara Lagoa. In my brief research into these two, I think it would be difficult to question their qualifications for the bench.

Barrett is basically as good as it gets, in terms of qualifications. She was the best student in her high school, graduated with the highest honors in undergrad, went to Notre Dame law school and graduated first in her class, was the editor of the Notre Dame law review, and earned all the highest honors Notre Dame can give to a law student. She's been a law professor for a long time, clerked on the SCOTUS, etc.

In other words, she is exceptional.

It's not the job of the senate to contest her on philosophical grounds. They are supposed to be judging if she is qualified to be a justice on the bench of the Supreme Court.

Just like the appointments of Kavanaugh and Gorsuch, they are exceptional legal minds. They are not partisans.

If he appoints Barrett, which I suspect he will do, it would mean he chose 3 exceptional legal minds for the bench.

Lagoa seems impressive as well, but probably not as qualified as Barrett.

Am I wrong in my mindset on this?