ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
WTSooner
National Champion

Default Oklahoma Player of the Year

Pretty cool Tulsa World article listing the winners all the way back to the 60's. Some very familiar names on the list. Cool to see the entire list again.

Not sure if this is behind a pay wall or not.

https://tulsaworld.com/sports/high-s...Gcj97rz_zFw#46
Old 08-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Default Re: Oklahoma Player of the Year

That's awesome.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
vbdad
Starter

Some great players on the list. I noticed in the early 60’s Rich Calmus who I believe is the father of Rocky
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
Eielson
All-Conference

I sometimes forget Ebi Ere grew up in Tulsa. I always remember him as a JUCO.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
WaymanFan
Administrator

Question. For those who have used up their eligibility, is there any player on that list that we didnít get who: 1) may have helped us win a Natty or get to the Final Four, and 2) was someone we had a somewhat realistic chance of landing? For example, we may have won a Natty with Mark Price, but I donít believe he seriously considered OU. Did we have a shot with Shake Milton? Imagine him on the 2016 team.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:44 AM   #6
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
Question. For those who have used up their eligibility, is there any player on that list that we didnít get who: 1) may have helped us win a Natty or get to the Final Four, and 2) was someone we had a somewhat realistic chance of landing? For example, we may have won a Natty with Mark Price, but I donít believe he seriously considered OU. Did we have a shot with Shake Milton? Imagine him on the 2016 team.
If I remember correctly, we came very close to getting Shake.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbdad View Post
Some great players on the list. I noticed in the early 60ís Rich Calmus who I believe is the father of Rocky
From my alma mater. Athletic family for sure.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I sometimes forget Ebi Ere grew up in Tulsa. I always remember him as a JUCO.
Those McClain teams around that time were sick. A lot of really good basketball played in Tulsa in the early 90's. BTW was always tough. James Hall, from Tulsa Rogers, is one of the best HS players I've ever seen. Committed to OU, didn't make the grades and went JUCO, then had legal issues. That kid was mad talented.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #9
WTSooner
National Champion

Quote:
I think we had a shot at Azubuike in the same class as Bookout, but I guess Bookout and I think Deangelo Alexander didn't care for Azubuike, so OU backed off. He'd have been a nice player, and certainly would have elevated the talent on some already talented OU teams.

Not sure about NC chances, but having Hump stick around instead of transferring would have been nice. Too bad some folks convinced him he could be Scottie Pippen. lol
Old 08-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
vbdad
Starter

I don’t think we backed off Keelena Az. He was the best player that year by far.

Mark Price would have made those Tisdale teams fantastic. Apparently Denny was still unhappy OU hadn’t hired him so we didn’t have a chance for Mark. Funny that Brent later transferred to OU.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
Sooner04
All-Conference

The word around school in 2002 was that Kevin Bookout wanted no part of playing alongside Azubuike. De'Angelo may have been against it too, but that was a long time ago. Quite a crop of HS talent in the spring of '02 (Shelden Williams, too. Shashevski made an in-home visit to MWC).

I always heard Denny Price was ticked that he didn't get the job. That's why Mark went to GT and Brent matriculated at South Carolina. I doubt Brent would've played much as a freshman in 1988....but he would've helped a ton in '89 and '90. He was great. He had a hell of a year in '92. Lots of people forget how good that team was.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
BoulderSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
The word around school in 2002 was that Kevin Bookout wanted no part of playing alongside Azubuike. De'Angelo may have been against it too, but that was a long time ago. Quite a crop of HS talent in the spring of '02 (Shelden Williams, too. Shashevski made an in-home visit to MWC).
yep OU risked losing Bookout and Alexander

also from that year was Marques Hayden (ksu)

OSU got none of them
BoulderSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #13
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
The word around school in 2002 was that Kevin Bookout wanted no part of playing alongside Azubuike. De'Angelo may have been against it too, but that was a long time ago.
That is what I recall as well. Neither wanted anything to do with him.

Quote:
Quite a crop of HS talent in the spring of '02 (Shelden Williams, too. Shashevski made an in-home visit to MWC).
He had a pretty talented teammate by the name of Matt Kemp as well.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #14
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
yep OU risked losing Bookout and Alexander

also from that year was Marques Hayden (ksu)

OSU got none of them
True, OSU got none of all those great in-state high school players in 2002 - but could you imagine how good their 2004 team would have been if they did? That was a great starting 5, but were a couple of bench players short of winning it all.

In fairness to Denny Price, after Brent transferred to OU, he said (I'm paraphrasing) "I hope that finally puts to rest any notion I discouraged either of my sons from attending OU". I will mildly disagree with Sooner04, though. As great as that 1988 team was, Billy did not trust the bench very much. Tyrone Jones was a solid starter in 1989, and he barely got off the bench in '88. Terrance Mullins was the 6th man (and the only sub to play in THAT game), and I believe Brent Price would have been an upgrade.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #15
vbdad
Starter

I text with a great source. Bookout liked Azubuike and would have played with him. Kelvin decided to take Alexander over Azubuike. He thought we had enough wings with Ebi and Detrick already on campus.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #16
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
I text with a great source. Bookout liked Azubuike and would have played with him. Kelvin decided to take Alexander over Azubuike. He thought we had enough wings with Ebi and Detrick already on campus.
Best Oklahoma high school class with those 3 & Sheldon Williams.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #17
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSooners View Post
Best Oklahoma high school class with those 3 & Sheldon Williams.
Maybe second-best .

It's kind of difficult to top a class which had Wayman Tisdale, Mark Price, Steve Hale and Anthony Bowie.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Interesting...did not know that. We can't live in hindsight, but I don't think Kelvin would have made those same moves if he thought Ebi was going to go into a two-month slump. We really could have used either Jason or Azubuike on that 2003 team. I at least got to see Ebi in person come out of his funk for one game against Butler in the Sweet 16...that's how he played in November and December as well...not sure what happened after that.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:03 PM   #19
BCSooners
Sweet 16

Quote:
Maybe second-best .

It's kind of difficult to top a class which had Wayman Tisdale, Mark Price, Steve Hale and Anthony Bowie.
Forgot about Bowie in that class. Youíre probably right.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #20
Chiefdaddy
Walk-on

Shake going to SMU is still puzzling. No doubt Larry Brown got dirty there. I've been watching Shake in the NBA bubble with the Sixers.
Chiefdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #21
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefdaddy View Post
Shake going to SMU is still puzzling. No doubt Larry Brown got dirty there. I've been watching Shake in the NBA bubble with the Sixers.
That one hurt
Old 09-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #22
NMSooner'80
All-Conference

Two big head-scratchers for me, at least how they turned out at OU, were Ryan Humphrey and Leonard Flowers. Both signed with OU. Hump at least put in two good years before leaving mysteriously (at least as far as I was concerned).

Flowers, who was the clear-cut POY despite the presence of Stacey King down the interstate, was apparently a total head case who had a weird history. As far as I know, he never played a second at a four-year school, leaving OU and Southwestern Louisiana, and also flaking out at Redlands JC. I even think he tried a comeback around the age of 29, and people in El Reno still had a grudge about a perceived slight by OU and Billy Tubbs back in the day.
NMSooner'80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:38 AM   #23
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSooner'80 View Post
Two big head-scratchers for me, at least how they turned out at OU, were Ryan Humphrey and Leonard Flowers. Both signed with OU. Hump at least put in two good years before leaving mysteriously (at least as far as I was concerned).

Flowers, who was the clear-cut POY despite the presence of Stacey King down the interstate, was apparently a total head case who had a weird history. As far as I know, he never played a second at a four-year school, leaving OU and Southwestern Louisiana, and also flaking out at Redlands JC. I even think he tried a comeback around the age of 29, and people in El Reno still had a grudge about a perceived slight by OU and Billy Tubbs back in the day.
I forgot all about Flowers, but that is yet someone else who could have been a big part of that 1988 team. Another guy from that same era, I believe a year after Flowers was Lance Kroll (another in-state player). He was a low-post player Billy wanted badly, and got him...just don't remember what ended up happening to him (think there were some grade issues).
Old 09-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #24
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
I forgot all about Flowers, but that is yet someone else who could have been a big part of that 1988 team. Another guy from that same era, I believe a year after Flowers was Lance Kroll (another in-state player). He was a low-post player Billy wanted badly, and got him...just don't remember what ended up happening to him (think there were some grade issues).
LOL Lance Kroll. That may be the first name I remember from following OU basketball recruiting. Nice...
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #25
jmizzy4ou
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSooner'80 View Post

I briefly dated a girl from El Reno while I was attending OU. Leonard was a good friend of hers, as they had grown up together. He use to hang out with us his freshman year at OU. He was a very different type of guy. I know he loved to drink back then, and he struggled with the full schedule, class, along with basketball commitments. He was a really quiet, nice guy, but I wasn't surprised he never made it in college.
He didn't seem to embrace the environment very well, and almost seemed uncomfortable being who he was. I remember walking around campus with him, and students would approach him like they do most athletes. He seemed to get very uncomfortable when it happened. Not sure he ever went to class.

I ran across him on social media a few years back. He's married, living in small town Oklahoma, with several kids.
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote