ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #26
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Default Re: OSU penalties today....

Jay Bilas
@JayBilas
Typical. Screw the players that had absolutely nothing to do with an assistant coach violating his ethics, which provided no competitive advantage whatsoever. Absurd overkill, and an ineffective deterrent. The players were the victims of the ethical violation! Now re-victimized.
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #27
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
If a program gets a 3-4 year ban for cheating, you have to think they fire Bill Self, right?
I think he leaves for NBA
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #28
sdcloud9
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms View Post
This has to do with Jeffery Carroll. The Assistant involved was fired and the head coach that hired him is long gone. Boynton will get a clean bill of health

Punishment is fair as long as they treat the blue bloods involved in the investigation, Arizona and Kansas the same
You are exactly right!!
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #29
BCSooners
Sweet 16

I think Boyton is safe, still a little eye opening to hire Cunningham’s brother. This wasn’t one assistant though, Underwood has SFA under investigation too.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #30
AdaSooner
Administrator

OSU’s AD, Mike Holder, is shocked about the post season ban. He not only said the university will appeal the NCAA’s ruling, he issued a challenge at the end of his remarks that may not bode well for schools like KU with more egregious violations.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=29272327
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #31
schoonerdriver
Role Player

Quote:
Jay Bilas
@JayBilas
Typical. Screw the players that had absolutely nothing to do with an assistant coach violating his ethics, which provided no competitive advantage whatsoever. Absurd overkill, and an ineffective deterrent. The players were the victims of the ethical violation! Now re-victimized.
What did Bilas want the NCAA to do then?
schoonerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #32
coolm
National Champion

this leaves me with hope that Kansas will get jacked too
coolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #33
mict085
All-Conference

So bilas thinks they shouldn’t punish the schools that cheated? The school is responsible and should be held responsible. Boynton and the rest of the players knew this was a possibility and they assumed the risk. They likely thought they’d all get away with it.

osu deserves the punishment. KU and the others deserve to get 5 times as much punishment. We’ll see if that happens or not.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #34
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
So bilas thinks they shouldn’t punish the schools that cheated? The school is responsible and should be held responsible. Boynton and the rest of the players knew this was a possibility and they assumed the risk. They likely thought they’d all get away with it.

osu deserves the punishment. KU and the others deserve to get 5 times as much punishment. We’ll see if that happens or not.
You may be right but how was anyone to know that Evans was asking agents for money to stir a player to him? The NCAA cited no recruiting violations and no lack of institutional control. Evans is in jail. Underwood is gone. Boynton although not accused of wrong doing will suffer the consequences

I think this may help KU. The NCAA may take so much flak that from this that they walk on egg shells with KU Just a gut feeling
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #35
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
You may be right but how was anyone to know that Evans was asking agents for money to stir a player to him? The NCAA cited no recruiting violations and no lack of institutional control. Evans is in jail. Underwood is gone. Boynton although not accused of wrong doing will suffer the consequences

I think this may help KU. The NCAA may take so much flak that from this that they walk on egg shells with KU Just a gut feeling
What punishment would have been fair?

At some point, schools have to be held responsible for the actions of their coaches. They have to improve their hiring practices, their vetting, their oversight. Hiring slimeballs and then crying victim just because that slimeball has moved on is, at this point, a pretty tiresome tactic (and I don't mean to direct this at oswho only -- it's pervasive across most of bigtime collegiate sports. "Hey, how could we have known?")

Like all major reforms, it'll take some time, but punish schools harshly for this stuff and at some point, they'll all take more seriously the process of finding coaches who will play it straight.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #36
fhosu
Walk-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post

At some point, schools have to be held responsible for the actions of their coaches. They have to improve their hiring practices, their vetting, their oversight. Hiring slimeballs and then crying victim just because that slimeball has moved on is, at this point, a pretty tiresome tactic (and I don't mean to direct this at oswho only -- it's pervasive across most of bigtime collegiate sports. "Hey, how could we have known?")

Like all major reforms, it'll take some time, but punish schools harshly for this stuff and at some point, they'll all take more seriously the process of finding coaches who will play it straight.
I hear ya on this. Nothing will change unless there are harsh punishments for wrongdoing. What about monetary penalties? Those punish the university. Post season bans punish people that had no part of the violation.
fhosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #37
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post

That makes sense, Skyvue, but I don’t remember our fan base thinking the same thing when we were going thru the Tiny Gallon situation. In other words, we were just as biased about OU as any fan or alum would be about their school. If I had to be completely objective, I thought what North Carolina did was far more egregious than what happened at OSU. I also don’t think for a second that any Blue Blood would have received a postseason ban for what OSU did.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #38
mict085
All-Conference

Quote:

I believe the schools have to held accountable. They hire coaches and pay millions and tell them to win. They fully support the cheating as long as they don’t get caught. When they do get caught, they act surprised and try to say they shouldn’t be punished because the coach was fired. That’s BS.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:04 PM   #39
NickZepp
National Champion

Watch Kansas get off light. They should get 3-4 year ban and like 10+ scholarships.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #40
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
That makes sense, Skyvue, but I don’t remember our fan base thinking the same thing when we were going thru the Tiny Gallon situation.
You're right, of course, and it's easy for me to talk tough when we're not impacted (and when we have a coach who is thought to be squeaky clean). But there should be more coaches who are squeaky clean.

It's been a number of years since the Gallon affair, and I've grown that much more tired of the slimy aspects of college sports. I wouldn't mind seeing a major upheaval that washes college sports clean (cleaner, at least) and downsizes the whole big mess. It's too big, there's too much money involved, and it too often ends up in the wrong pockets.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:17 PM   #41
Oscar Uniform
Walk-on

In unrelated news, OU was in Bryce Thompson's top 3 along with oSu and KU
Oscar Uniform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #42
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Uniform View Post
In unrelated news, OU was in Bryce Thompson's top 3 along with oSu and KU
He’s not wavering. Yet. Let’s hope ku gets smacked.
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:28 AM   #43
Speedy17
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdriver View Post
What did Bilas want the NCAA to do then?
Bilas is saying this because he is a Duke homer. He knows the hammer could be brought down on Coach K and Duke. I think this is less likely than KU getting hammered. osu will probably be the only one penalized.
Speedy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #44
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
Bilas is saying this because he is a Duke homer. He knows the hammer could be brought down on Coach K and Duke. I think this is less likely than KU getting hammered. osu will probably be the only one penalized.
Bilas is most definitely not a Duke homer. He is also incredibly consistent on his views regarding the NCAA. I’d love to make a friendly wager regarding your prediction.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #45
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy17 View Post
100% agree. He defends the bluebloods all the time, not just Duke. I've noticed his selective indignation. His holier than thou attitude towards the so called elites makes me sick.
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #46
vbdad
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by progsooner View Post
Could someone clarify for me - when it indicates they will lose 3 scholarships over the next 3 years does that mean they will only have 12 scholarship players per year over the next 3 years or 10 scholarship players per year over the next 3 years?
It is one scholarship for three years. They will have 12 guys on scholarship. Nobody plays 13 guys but it hurts trying to build for future or getting last minute transfer.

They did fire Evans after he was caught by FBI. However he was named associate head coach and they raved about him when hiring Boynton. Boyton claimed he was like a brother.

The case against them was Evans trying to get Carroll and any others to an agent. What wasn’t proven was Juwan Evans handlers receiving something for his signing with the aggies.

College basketball has been a cesspool for many many years.
vbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #47
ouboomer
Role Player

When North Carolina got away with years and decades of academic fraud my interest in the sport changed greatly. I'm tired of programs not having strong compliance departments and than acting all shocked when they get caught cheating. College basketball is broken and the deck is too heavly stacked against those who do play by the rules.

Last edited by ouboomer; 06-06-2020 at 08:04 AM.
ouboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #48
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

I don't remember us being that outraged about the Gallen affair. It was pretty cut and dried that there was a violation by one of our coaches.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #49
NickZepp
National Champion

OSU thinks that just because they begged the NCAA and cooperated with them they would get a lesser charge. The don't make near enough money to really have that happen. Kansas and Duke on the other hand will likely get off light because of how much money the make
NickZepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #50
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickZepp View Post
OSU thinks that just because they begged the NCAA and cooperated with them they would get a lesser charge. The don't make near enough money to really have that happen. Kansas and Duke on the other hand will likely get off light because of how much money the make
Complying used to be the strategy for most schools but I think that is changing. Missouri tried complying and self-imposing penalties with their football program and was stunned when they still got the bowl ban and additional sanctions. A lot of journalists who write rational, reasonable columns on this issue think that might be why schools like KU decided to fight the charges to the death this time.
And yesterday’s result for OSU likely makes KU feel good about electing to put their fate in the hands of the new, independent panel rather than the traditional infractions committee.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote