ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > NBA Hoops Talk Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #101
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player
 
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
No, but he's made it very clear he intends to. He'd be walking away from the supermax dollars, and if he left two teams in two consecutive years he would be inviting a reputation he'd much rather avoid. He all but forced his way to LA.


Count me as a skeptic


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:59 PM   #102
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms View Post
Count me as a skeptic


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A skeptic that he'll resign?
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #103
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms
Role Player
 
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 800
Default

More of a skeptic that this pushís then over the hump to a NBA Championship next year. Iím not a Laker hater. I just donít have a warm fuzzy feeling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #104
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronHoustonsSweatyPalms View Post
More of a skeptic that this pushís then over the hump to a NBA Championship next year. Iím not a Laker hater. I just donít have a warm fuzzy feeling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm buying them as a contender, but we'll have to see how the rest of the offseason unfolds before I call them favorites.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #105
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Boston continues to crumble. One of the worst years for a team I can remember in recent sports history. I almost feel bad for their fanbase. Almost.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ek-deal-boston
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #106
jmizzy4ou
All-American
 
jmizzy4ou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,993
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Boston continues to crumble. One of the worst years for a team I can remember in recent sports history. I almost feel bad for their fanbase. Almost.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ek-deal-boston
wow....lol
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #107
One More Rebound
Starter
 
One More Rebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

We've been teasing this Celtic fan at work; now he goes around yelling "LeBron is trash!" all day.
__________________
"I want to go back to having fun again"
~Magic Johnson
One More Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #108
SoonerBounce13
National Champion
 
SoonerBounce13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,328
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

man I can't think of a turnover so drastic. Boston looked to be poised to be a contender for years. Ainge was a genius and Stevens was the man.
__________________
"But I know some of the qualities of the coach I would pick. Somebody that doesn't mind working, a coach that's going to bring a fresh mindset and help us all get better as basketball players as well as men. A coach that has all our best interests at heart."

-Romero Osby
SoonerBounce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #109
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerBounce13 View Post
man I can't think of a turnover so drastic. Boston looked to be poised to be a contender for years. Ainge was a genius and Stevens was the man.
Ainge has become so obsessed with winning every trade that he is losing the war. He's been hoarding assets, but when it came time to cash in, he became too attached to actually extract the value he should have. I wouldn't be surprised if "Pyrrhic Victories" soon became known as "Ainge Victories" in NBA circles.

Barring something short of a Kawhi miracle FA pitch (I'd be shocked if he ended anywhere other than Toronto or LA), this team is absolutely toast. Major rebuild coming.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #110
One More Rebound
Starter
 
One More Rebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Report from Yahoo Sports that The Lakers are interested in D'Angelo Russell as a free agent. The Lakers are now officially in The Twilight Zone.
__________________
"I want to go back to having fun again"
~Magic Johnson
One More Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:07 PM   #111
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by One More Rebound View Post
Report from Yahoo Sports that The Lakers are interested in D'Angelo Russell as a free agent. The Lakers are now officially in The Twilight Zone.
I kinda hope it's true, but Lakers have been linked to every FA since the advent of twitter.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #112
One More Rebound
Starter
 
One More Rebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,061
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I kinda hope it's true, but Lakers have been linked to every FA since the advent of twitter.
This is as per Wojnarowski. Nets have to sign Kyrie, then The Nets renounce their rights to D'Angelo, and then The Lakers sign him as their third star. This also would mean that two of three Lakers' star players would be fairly youthful.
__________________
"I want to go back to having fun again"
~Magic Johnson
One More Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #113
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Woj is finally admitting that the Lakers are in the race for Kawhi. We may never hear from him or Bill Simmons again if that happens. That would be icing on the cake.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:56 PM   #114
Sooner04
All-Conference
 
Sooner04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,736
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Boston continues to crumble. One of the worst years for a team I can remember in recent sports history. I almost feel bad for their fanbase. Almost.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ek-deal-boston
Don't ever hitch your wagon to Kyrie. That guy can torpedo any locker room.
Sooner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #115
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Sounds like Boston may be able to save face (to some extent) with Kemba. They won't be contenders anytime soon, but they'll be mildly relevant if they pull that off.

LA now has max cap space for Kawhi or Kyrie. As expected, the media was freaking out about nothing. They already had enough for DLo (or the silly "split the money for role players" idea clueless media keep yacking about), so I think they have their sights set higher.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #116
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04 View Post
Don't ever hitch your wagon to Kyrie. That guy can torpedo any locker room.
It's deeper than that. Stevens was showing favoritism to his Butler buddy, and it ruffled the feathers of a lot of the younger players. They weren't content going back to their reduced roles, especially since Hayward didn't earn his spot back.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #117
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Sounds like Boston may be able to save face (to some extent) with Kemba. They won't be contenders anytime soon, but they'll be mildly relevant if they pull that off.

LA now has max cap space for Kawhi or Kyrie. As expected, the media was freaking out about nothing. They already had enough for DLo (or the silly "split the money for role players" idea clueless media keep yacking about), so I think they have their sights set higher.
LMAO

Save face? Kemba was awesome when he was going to the Lakers, but now it would be saving face for Boston? Give me a break. He'll produce at only a slightly lower level than KI, but he'll do it with a game and attitude that is a MUCH better fit for the current Boston roster.

Leonard and Irving are not going to the Lakers. You better hope you land DLo, b/c that is your last hope at getting somebody close to that level to pair with Lebron and Davis.

Walker, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Capela/Adams
vs
DLo, ?????, Lebron, Kuz, Davis

Lakers MIGHT have an edge for a year or two, but after that, I'm taking Boston. Boston still has the Memphis pick next year (or the year after). We'll see how it plays out, but Boston is likely going to be a better team next year than they were this year.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #118
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
It's deeper than that. Stevens was showing favoritism to his Butler buddy, and it ruffled the feathers of a lot of the younger players. They weren't content going back to their reduced roles, especially since Hayward didn't earn his spot back.
Absolute BS.

Hayward started 18 games. Plenty of All-Star caliber players are given their starting spots back before earning it. They thought he was ready. He wasn't. 18 games. Plenty of time for anybody that got butt-hurt over him starting to get over it. 18 games. That is less than 25%. KI was the problem. Watch and see next year.
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #119
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
LMAO

Save face? Kemba was awesome when he was going to the Lakers, but now it would be saving face for Boston? Give me a break. He'll produce at only a slightly lower level than KI, but he'll do it with a game and attitude that is a MUCH better fit for the current Boston roster.
When did I ever say anything bad about Kemba? I love Kemba, and in some ways, I'd prefer the Lakers to get him over Kyrie (mainly for durability). But does Kemba replace Kyrie AND Horford (and Morris and Rozier)? Nope.

Quote:
Leonard and Irving are not going to the Lakers.
Just like they won't get Anthony Davis?

Quote:
Walker, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Capela/Adams
vs
DLo, ?????, Lebron, Kuz, Davis
You don't even have an elementary understanding of the salary cap.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #120
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Absolute BS.

Hayward started 18 games. Plenty of All-Star caliber players are given their starting spots back before earning it. They thought he was ready. He wasn't. 18 games. Plenty of time for anybody that got butt-hurt over him starting to get over it. 18 games. That is less than 25%. KI was the problem. Watch and see next year.
Masslive is your go-to website (along with hiphopsports.com), right?

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/201...n-be-made.html

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-brad...032947835.html
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #121
WTSooner
National Champion
 
WTSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8,710
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post



You don't even have an elementary understanding of the salary cap.
They can trade Smart and get Capela.

Next?
__________________
I hate to lose more than I like to win. - Larry Bird, 1998
WTSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #122
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
They can trade Smart and get Capela.

Next?
He'd have to give up a pick to unload Smart, and another to get Capela. And then release Rozier. Ainge has been hoarding/overvaluing assets for years, so I don't know why you expect that to change all of the sudden.

And you need another 10M for Adams, so good luck with that.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #123
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Celtics and Nets have blatantly tampered with Kyrie and Kemba. I'm willing to bet the league doesn't investigate. Everybody would be outraged if the Lakers did this.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #124
jmizzy4ou
All-American
 
jmizzy4ou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,993
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
Celtics and Nets have blatantly tampered with Kyrie and Kemba. I'm willing to bet the league doesn't investigate. Everybody would be outraged if the Lakers did this.
Only the Lakers get punished for tampering.....


Looks like KD and Kyrie to Brooklyn, with rumors of DeAndre Jordan following soon.
jmizzy4ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #125
Eielson
All-Conference
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,562
Default Re: Magic Johnson as a General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzy4ou View Post
Only the Lakers get punished for tampering.....


Looks like KD and Kyrie to Brooklyn, with rumors of DeAndre Jordan following soon.
Brooklyn spotted Ainge all their assets for the better part of a decade, and they're still closer to competing for a championship. Maybe Ainge shoulda retired last year for the sake of his reputation.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Hosted By: URLJet.com