ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
CoachTalk
National Champion

Default 2020 offer Brandon Lieb 7ft

Reclassified to 2021 but seems to want 2020 now.

https://www.hudl.com/v/2DKE7n

IU article

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-b...2020-addition/
CoachTalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
skyvue
Final Four

Default Re: 2020 offer Brandon Lieb 7ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
Reclassified to 2021 but seems to want 2020 now.
Do we have a shot at him, CT?
Old 06-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Do we have a shot at him, CT?
Yeah I think a good shot. Was headed to prep but true late bloomer. Think he wants to RS instead of prep School.

We’ve been on radar but just offered.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
WTSooner
National Champion

Big time project.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
opsooner
Final Four

Maybe a project but looks like he already has some capable footwork which is more than I can say about several stiffs we have brought in over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
opsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Big time project.
Can’t believe it took so long for you to weigh in with this take.
WichitaSooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #7
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Can’t believe it took so long for you to weigh in with this take.
He either is a project or not a project and if by chance that is the reality then not shying away from it is anything but dubious.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
scrybe
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogs1 View Post
He either is a project or not a project and if by chance that is the reality then not shying away from it is anything but dubious.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #9
CoachTalk
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSooner View Post
Big time project.
Lol
Old 06-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
Thanks for sharing.

People have a right to their opinions. Stamps of approval are not required. You don't like it, tough. If you feel like you have dominion over others it is then understandable as to why you feel you get to censor the comments made by others.

Last edited by sheepdogs1; 06-13-2020 at 12:55 PM.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
mict085
Starter

We’re talking basketball!

It feels good to read about real basketball info. Thank you.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
We’re talking basketball!

It feels good to read about real basketball info. Thank you.
Amen.

Why is it such a stretch to call him a project? Besides OU his best offer is ITT Tech.

Do OU's coaches have the ability to go up against any other Power 5 team for a recruit and win nowadays?
Stikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Amen.

Why is it such a stretch to call him a project? Besides OU his best offer is ITT Tech.

Do OU's coaches have the ability to go up against any other Power 5 team for a recruit and win nowadays?
You have to go all the way back to ... last year for the last examples of that happening.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #14
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
You have to go all the way back to ... last year for the last examples of that happening.
Two cycles. In the 2020 cycle OU had one signee and he didn't have anything close to a P5 offer. The Harmon/Iwuokor/Hill class... They did have some P5s i'll grant you.

Just frustrating watching a program like Texas Tech clean up with like 4 guys in the Top 100, and OU can't seem to sniff any of those guys. If Kruger and co come back and sign some guys like that for 2021, i'll be the first to come back here an eat some happy crow.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #15
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Two cycles. In the 2020 cycle OU had one signee and he didn't have anything close to a P5 offer. The Harmon/Iwuokor/Hill class... They did have some P5s i'll grant you.

Just frustrating watching a program like Texas Tech clean up with like 4 guys in the Top 100, and OU can't seem to sniff any of those guys. If Kruger and co come back and sign some guys like that for 2021, i'll be the first to come back here an eat some happy crow.
Well, 2021 cycle obviously isn't close to over. And 2020 isn't either, if we get this kid.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Well, 2021 cycle obviously isn't close to over. And 2020 isn't either, if we get this kid.
You are correct about 2021, and hopefully I will have to eat crow. If we get the 2020 kid, great! Have ITT Tech, IUPUI, SIUE, and Western Illinois joined P5 conferences? I must have missed it.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Amen.

Maybe because the person who called him not just a project, but a "big time project" (and I'm confident he didn't mean "big time" as a positive) has -- and I'm guessing here, he'll correct me if I'm wrong -- not seen him play liive and has viewed no more video of him in action than any of us have (which is to say, very little).

And where in the world are you getting the idea that only the likes of ITT Tech are interested in the guy? The Rivals article cited in the story linked to in the original post describes Lieb as "the trendiest prospect in the sport right now and for good reason" and, after praising his skills effusively, says that among the teams expressing interest in Lieb are Tulsa, Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma, Penn State, Providence, and Seton Hall.

Last edited by skyvue; 06-13-2020 at 05:19 PM.
skyvue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #18
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Maybe because the person who called him not just a project, but a "big time project" (and I'm confident he didn't mean "big time" as a positive) has -- and I'm guessing here, he'll correct me if I'm wrong -- not seen him play liive and has viewed no more video of him in action than any of us have (which is to say, very little).

And where in the world are you getting the idea that only the likes of ITT Tech are interested in the guy? The Rivals article cited in the story linked to in the original post describes Lieb as "the trendiest prospect in the sport right now and for good reason" and, after praising his skills effusively, says that among the teams expressing interest in Lieb are Tulsa, Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma, Penn State, Providence, and Seton Hall.
I didn't see that. If true, makes me feel a little better.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:12 PM   #19
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Yep, and the other thing I’d say is that sometimes people get too hung up on who else has offered kids. Take a look at who had offered Mason and Graham before KU. Yes, they ended up with decent ratings after KU offered, but occasionally, a coach just sees something that others have overlooked. Wichita State isn’t a P5 but they have had a good amount of success with kids who were otherwise lightly recruited. And trust me, complimenting WSU in any way pains me. 😊
Old 06-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #20
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....p?ga_source=cm
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #21
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Yep, and the other thing I’d say is that sometimes people get too hung up on who else has offered kids. Take a look at who had offered Mason and Graham before KU. Yes, they ended up with decent ratings after KU offered, but occasionally, a coach just sees something that others have overlooked. Wichita State isn’t a P5 but they have had a good amount of success with kids who were otherwise lightly recruited. And trust me, complimenting WSU in any way pains me. 😊
I agree and I am not overlooking finding diamonds in the rough or player development in any way. It just seems like our ratio isn't great lately. Other good offers means they obviously have been scouted by good teams and are coveted by them. It would be nice to win some of those battles again.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:03 AM   #22
Darwin
Starter

I think his footwork is noticeably good compared too many tall kid videos we see which seem to be only dunks and blocks. Unlike many here I'm not overly concerned with spots 12 and 13. That is not to say I'm close to pleased with production from our 5/center position for many years. Project kids that don't pan out are not a legitimate excuse for not having quality starters including centers.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:58 AM   #23
SoonerinNC
All-Conference

Wonder what his percentage is beyond the arc. Looks like he has good touch on his shots, especially for someone that big. He is more offensively than just a dunker.

Also moves well for someone that size. Don't see him as a project. Handles himself well in traffic. Would expect him to get early playing time, particularly as a redshirt frosh.
SoonerinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #24
AdaSooner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerinNC View Post
Wonder what his percentage is beyond the arc. Looks like he has good touch on his shots, especially for someone that big. He is more offensively than just a dunker.

Also moves well for someone that size. Don't see him as a project. Handles himself well in traffic. Would expect him to get early playing time, particularly as a redshirt frosh.
Agreed. He’s definitely more than a dunker offensively. He has excellent footwork for his size and he finishes equally well with both hands. I was especially impressed with his little duck under move in close where he uses his length to get an easy layup against a defender. The kid has skills.

I like his shot from deep as well. Reminds me a little of Dirk Nowitzki [7 footer shooting from deep, not that he is even close to the real deal right now]. I also shudder at the thought of a guy his size playing on the perimeter. Stay inside, young man. Please!
AdaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #25
skyvue
Final Four

His senior year, he shot 25% from deep--good enough to justify him putting one up from behind the line every now and then, when he's feeling it, just to keep defenders honest.