ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 06-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #51
mict085
Starter

Default Re: OSU penalties today....

Is a 1 year post season ban, when they’d most likely be NIT, and the loss of 1 scholly for 3 years really such a devastating penalty? No. It definitely stings, but they’ll be fine with 12 instead of 13 for a few years.
mict085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #52
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mict085 View Post
Is a 1 year post season ban, when they’d most likely be NIT, and the loss of 1 scholly for 3 years really such a devastating penalty? No. It definitely stings, but they’ll be fine with 12 instead of 13 for a few years.
C'mon, at least pretend to be objective. They just signed their Wayman Tisdale / Blake Griffin. I could probably coach this team to the Dance.
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #53
sanguinetti
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaymanFan View Post
C'mon, at least pretend to be objective. They just signed their Wayman Tisdale / Blake Griffin. I could probably coach this team to the Dance.
I tend to agree but Devil's Advocate points out Ben Simmons LSU and Michael Porter, JR didn't Missouri make the NCAA....
sanguinetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #54
mict085
Starter

Quote:
That is true. I forgot about him. The post season ban will probably lead him to go elsewhere. However, these sanctions are not a death sentence. The worst will last for 1 season and then they’ll hardly notice it.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #55
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinetti View Post
I tend to agree but Devil's Advocate points out Ben Simmons LSU and Michael Porter, JR didn't Missouri make the NCAA....
Missouri did make the tourney in Porter’s season even though he only played two games due to injury.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #56
NMSooner'80
All-Conference

I'm not going to be shocked if they skate. But I would absolutely love it if Kansas, Arizona and Duke all got clobbered, especially the first two. KU and Arizona, back in the 80's, pretty much billed themselves as so morally superior (one idiot Tucson writer once referred to the Wildcats as "St. Lute and His Leaping Apostles").

I'm almost 63, so I remember back to the days of the OU football probation that was (A) incorrectly pinned on Switzer, and (B) became the battle cry in Texas for claims of OU buying players - when the whole thing had nothing to do with that. It was all about the transcripts of a couple of Galveston products that OU signed. OU got clobbered, and other "sacred cows" (like UT and Notre Dame, for two) got away with much more because of favored status.
NMSooner'80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #57
Stikboy
All-Conference

Sorry if this has already been covered but does their ban include conference postseason?
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:22 PM   #58
CMSOONER
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSooner'80 View Post
I'm not going to be shocked if they skate. But I would absolutely love it if Kansas, Arizona and Duke all got clobbered, especially the first two. KU and Arizona, back in the 80's, pretty much billed themselves as so morally superior (one idiot Tucson writer once referred to the Wildcats as "St. Lute and His Leaping Apostles").

I'm almost 63, so I remember back to the days of the OU football probation that was (A) incorrectly pinned on Switzer, and (B) became the battle cry in Texas for claims of OU buying players - when the whole thing had nothing to do with that. It was all about the transcripts of a couple of Galveston products that OU signed. OU got clobbered, and other "sacred cows" (like UT and Notre Dame, for two) got away with much more because of favored status.
This also had more to do with the NCAA flexing it's muscles against OU than the actual offenses as well. KU, Arizona and Duke are "Good for Business" so the NCAA will do everything they can and so far have to only deal out slaps on the wrist.

Last edited by CMSOONER; 06-06-2020 at 04:24 PM.
CMSOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #59
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTalk View Post
All lip service by OSU. They’ve been negotiating for awhile. They knew what was coming.

Ku will 3/4 year ban is my guess.
over under on this? I'd bet they won't get more than 1...maybe more scholarships pulled for longer...but no more than a yr..it's ku...
Soonerinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #60
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSOONER View Post
This also had more to do with the NCAA flexing it's muscles against OU than the actual offenses as well. KU, Arizona and Duke are "Good for Business" so the NCAA will do everything they can and so far have to only deal out slaps on the wrist.
yup
Old 06-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #61
sheepdogs1
Elite Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSOONER View Post
Lets hope something else gets slapped.
sheepdogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #62
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdriver View Post
What did Bilas want the NCAA to do then?
no $hit....sorry...if the college hired a HC who hired AC that cheated...SOMEONE has to have consequences. We are now in the time of no consequences for actions mode...
Old 06-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #63
Soonerinkc
Sweet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhosu View Post
I hear ya on this. Nothing will change unless there are harsh punishments for wrongdoing. What about monetary penalties? Those punish the university. Post season bans punish people that had no part of the violation.
post-season ban is....but I hear ya...a fine?
Old 06-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #64
WaymanFan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMSooner'80 View Post

Time to put your 1982 hat on, NM :-). Both OU and Georgia sued the NCAA over TV rights which the good guys won in a 1984 landmark decision. The NCAA wanted us badly after that, so being a Blue Blood was not something we could hide behind. I'll never forget Donnie Duncan's direct quote on ESPN Sportscenter when the hammer came down: "The NCAA wanted us, and they got us."

Almost simultaneously, OSU got penalized even worse (for football), which was the beginning of the end of the Pat Jones era. I'll never forget the quotable (OSU grad) Buddy Ryan taking a swipe at Jimmy Johnson: "He got my alma mater on probation."
WaymanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:13 PM   #65
mict085
Starter

Based on osu penalties, KU should get: 10 years probation, 5 year post season ban, loss of 5 scholarships per year for 5 years, 10 year show cause for bill self. If they commit another level 1 violation during probationary period, it’s the death penalty.

That would be close to justice.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #66
NMSooner'80
All-Conference

Quote:
Time to put your 1982 hat on, NM :-). Both OU and Georgia sued the NCAA over TV rights which the good guys won in a 1984 landmark decision. The NCAA wanted us badly after that, so being a Blue Blood was not something we could hide behind. I'll never forget Donnie Duncan's direct quote on ESPN Sportscenter when the hammer came down: "The NCAA wanted us, and they got us."

Almost simultaneously, OSU got penalized even worse (for football), which was the beginning of the end of the Pat Jones era. I'll never forget the quotable (OSU grad) Buddy Ryan taking a swipe at Jimmy Johnson: "He got my alma mater on probation."

I remember the suit by OU and Georgia. I do think Georgia also got some penalties. I think what hurt OU for so long was the scuttlebutt that a UT law professor was on the infractions committee. Our "Blue Blood" status was never going to help.

That was around the time that Eric Dickerson spoke to an NCAA investigator. As I recall it, Dickerson said Texas offered him some "inducements," and the NCAA guy wouldn't hear of it, saying, "Texas doesn't cheat. Texas doesn't have to cheat." The SMU guys on that ESPN special about them, all said the Longhorns were as dirty as anyone else in recruiting but were pretty much untouchable.

Personally, I don't like cheating by anyone. But I consider it especially galling for schools like Kansas, Arizona, Texas (and later, Baylor) to do it after claiming they're just so much more pure and innocent than the rest of the collegiate sports world.
NMSooner'80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #67
WichitaSooner
All-Conference

Quote:
Based on osu penalties, KU should get: 10 years probation, 5 year post season ban, loss of 5 scholarships per year for 5 years, 10 year show cause for bill self. If they commit another level 1 violation during probationary period, it’s the death penalty.

That would be close to justice.
Well I’d suggest you not hold your breath then. If people are going to have unrealistic expectations, then of course you’ll all be able to come back after the penalties are handed down and claim that the the NCAA “went easy” on a blue blood yet again.
WichitaSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #68
CoachTalk
National Champion

Thing is. Former Osu asst Is sitting in jail. Proven convicted felon.

Ku guy is still coaching.
CoachTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:05 PM   #69
thegreyghost
Walk-on

KU also has more level 1 violations and a lot of statements, some on tape that Self was knowingly buying or trying to buy players w/ Adidas help

If they get off lighter than OSU they should just burn the NCAA rule books
thegreyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:45 AM   #70
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
That is true. I forgot about him. The post season ban will probably lead him to go elsewhere. However, these sanctions are not a death sentence. The worst will last for 1 season and then they’ll hardly notice it.
OSU will be hit harder than anybody unless teams like KU get extended postseason bans. Even if KU only had 5 scholarship players, they'd be all top 25 recruits, and they could field walk ons good enough to start at OSU. This could have been OSU's team of the decade.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:30 AM   #71
MsProudSooner
National Champion

What about Arizona? Don't they have the Arizona coach talking about paying a recruit?

MPS - Charter Member of the Sunshine Pumpers Club, OU Chapter!
MsProudSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #72
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
What about Arizona? Don't they have the Arizona coach talking about paying a recruit?
Yes! I've actually been wondering this for awhile... Don't they have Sean Miller on tape for offering something like 100 grand to the Bahamian dude? How is that guy still coaching, and how is Arizona not absolutely hammered? SMH
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:37 AM   #73
mict085
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
Well I’d suggest you not hold your breath then. If people are going to have unrealistic expectations, then of course you’ll all be able to come back after the penalties are handed down and claim that the the NCAA “went easy” on a blue blood yet again.
Well, they did have 5 times as many level 1 infractions and there’s the lack of institutional control, which has always been punished severely. Of course, they’re ku so they’ll get a light slap on the wrist.

They also didn’t fire bill self, who is the ring leader of buying players. KU has also been defiant in the face of the NCAA. They should get the most severe punishment ever.

Last edited by mict085; 06-07-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #74
sdcloud9
Starter

I bet the NCAA lightens the penalty and allows OSU to be in the postseason.

They should....
sdcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #75
Salt City Sooner
Role Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcloud9 View Post
I bet the NCAA lightens the penalty and allows OSU to be in the postseason.

They should....
I saw on one of the pundits Twitter (Rothstein IIRC, but don’t quote me there) that they DID lighten the punishment. They were originally going to go with a 2 year ban but decided to drop it to 1, citing OSU’s cooperation as the reason.

EDIT, found it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kyle__Boo...54596329828352

-John Wooden-

Last edited by Salt City Sooner; 06-07-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Salt City Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote