ouhoops.com
forums roster schedule stats rankings rpi bracketology big xII standings recruiting ouhoopstv

Go Back   OUHoops > Main Category > The Wayman Tisdale Men's Hoops Board

Old 05-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #51
NYC-Fool
Walk-on

Default Re: 2021 Recruiting

To be fair... this time last year we were all very excited about the 2021 prospects. OU was in on a ton of top 50 talent. This was supposed to be the first class in recent memory that OU landed multiple top 50-100 players. Fast forward to today and all the prospects who have announced are going elsewhere and expectations are being reset lower. I love Lon but recruiting complete classes with more than 1 stud has proven to be very difficult.
NYC-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #52
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Fool View Post
To be fair... this time last year we were all very excited about the 2021 prospects. OU was in on a ton of top 50 talent. This was supposed to be the first class in recent memory that OU landed multiple top 50-100 players. Fast forward to today and all the prospects who have announced are going elsewhere and expectations are being reset lower. I love Lon but recruiting complete classes with more than 1 stud has proven to be very difficult.
I agree with this. Who do we have right now, just the kid from Kingfisher? That is right, we were being told this was going to be a banner year. What gives? Does Lon have one foot out the door possibly? I mean, I guess it's not over, but all these targets seem to be falling elsewhere..
Stikboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #53
skyvue
Final Four

Who told us it was going to be a banner year? We were in on some big targets, yes, but big targets also have big suitors and the competition is fierce. I agree that the results are disappointing so far, but if you run a clean program and you're not a blue blood, it's an uphill battle and given the numbers in basketball, the margin for error is very thin.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #54
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Who told us it was going to be a banner year? We were in on some big targets, yes, but big targets also have big suitors and the competition is fierce. I agree that the results are disappointing so far, but if you run a clean program and you're not a blue blood, it's an uphill battle and given the numbers in basketball, the margin for error is very thin.
Like clockwork.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #55
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
I tend to agree with most of this, but I would consider last year's class to have multiple studs. Maybe not studs by blue blood comparison, but studs by all but the top 10 programs' standards. I just hope this new coaching staff can develop talent better than we have been since Henson and Hill left.

And I do fear there is a lot of negative recruiting Lon will have to deal with due to impending retirement. I would like to bring in a top assistant for a coach in waiting type audition similar to Lincoln (football) and Skip (baseball) to add some stability. I would have thought the recruiting violation investiagations would offset that in favor of Lon, though.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #56
BCSooners
All-American

Quote:
Last year was a great class with Harmon, Hill, & Vic.

This 2021 class isn’t great, 2 really good player would be a win. There are plenty of close really good prospects so that should be easy, Obaseki was a big hit. If they get 1 more good prospect this will be a solid class.
BCSooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #57
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stikboy View Post
Like clockwork.
Right back at you. But answer the question -- when, where and by whom was a banner recruiting haul promised?

It's one thing to be disappointed in a recruiting class -- it's quite another to claim we were assured a major class was in the offing.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:10 PM   #58
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
I would have thought the recruiting violation investiagations would offset that in favor of Lon, though.
As far as I can tell, Baylor has not missed a step (in any sport), despite the horrendous things that occurred there, so it would seem scandals such as KU's barely have an impact.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #59
Eielson
All-Conference

Quote:
As far as I can tell, Baylor has not missed a step (in any sport), despite the horrendous things that occurred there, so it would seem scandals such as KU's barely have an impact.
It's not the scandals that I thought would deter prospects. I assumed with increased surveilance, there would be less money exchanging hands. Or perhaps they're just being more careful. Or simply don't care.
Eielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #60
steverocks35
Elite Eight

I love Oklahoma obviously, but if I was a big time or a borderline big time recruit I would be taken aback by our empty arena and total lack of fan support for the program. Even Trae Young couldn't fill the seats. Without a new facility that doesn't look like an empty dungeon on TV, I think recruiting will be very difficult for whoever the coach is. We don't have the perceived basketball tradition to overcome that. I don't know how Baylor is doing it other than Scott Drew is a wizard.
steverocks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #61
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Right back at you. But answer the question -- when, where and by whom was a banner recruiting haul promised?

It's one thing to be disappointed in a recruiting class -- it's quite another to claim we were assured a major class was in the offing.
I have neither the time nor the inclination to find any posts for you. There were people on this board that intimated as much when it was discovered that there we multiple recruitable prospects in the state for this year, in a year when OU had multiple schollies available. See if your common sense button works... If OU has a need, and there are plentiful prospects in the state, I can see how many would come to that conclusion even without anyone saying anything.

OU could sign a class of unrated, absolutely no game hobos and you would be the first to jump on any post even remotely showing concern. The ferocity with which you defend mediocrity is mind blowing. Do you have a Nick Thompson fathead in your crib?
Old 05-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #62
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
I have neither the time nor the inclination to find any posts for you. There were people on this board that intimated as much when it was discovered that there we multiple recruitable prospects in the state for this year, in a year when OU had multiple schollies available. See if your common sense button works... If OU has a need, and there are plentiful prospects in the state, I can see how many would come to that conclusion even without anyone saying anything.

OU could sign a class of unrated, absolutely no game hobos and you would be the first to jump on any post even remotely showing concern. The ferocity with which you defend mediocrity is mind blowing. Do you have a Nick Thompson fathead in your crib?
So it was some poster or other here who got your hopes up. It was probably some sunshine pumper, and since when did you ever consider them reliable sources?

And if you'll read my post again, you'll see that in fact I expressed disappointment with this class as it stands, but don't let the facts get in your way of whining about someone not toeing the doom-and-gloom line consistently drawn in the sand by the glass-half-empty club.

What's more, I'd be very interested in hearing what you actually disagree with in my post (aside from my reluctance to stamp my feet and hold my breath until we sign some blue-chippers). I think that everything in it is all but self-evident; I honestly can't imagine what you'd actually disagree with.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:44 PM   #63
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
So it was some poster or other here who got your hopes up. It was probably some sunshine pumper, and since when did you ever consider them reliable sources?

And if you'll read my post again, you'll see that in fact I expressed disappointment with this class as it stands, but don't let the facts get in your way of whining about someone not toeing the doom-and-gloom line consistently drawn in the sand by the glass-half-empty club.

What's more, I'd be very interested in hearing what you actually disagree with in my post (aside from my reluctance to stamp my feet and hold my breath until we sign some blue-chippers). I think that everything in it is all but self-evident; I honestly can't imagine what you'd actually disagree with.
OK, fair enough, you did, i'll give you that. OU has a top 20 tradition and brand in college basketball and they should be able to recruit like it. It shouldn't be as much of an "uphill battle" as you and others say.

I sure do not toe a doom and gloom line, and i'm not stomping my feet, or whatever you are trying to express. I just call it like it is. I expressed excitement and hope when OU signed Harmon, Iwoukor, and Hill. I was hoping OU could follow it up with another layer of even better players. And so far this class is a huge disappointment.

I'm wondering who the next class of good/great players are going to be for OU. OU signed a good transfer and another one i'm not sure about. This was the year OU was supposed to get their next group of bellcows. Sure is hard to get excited when OU is getting out recruited by inferior programs. I have the same frustration right now that I had after Kruger failed to capitalize on the Final Four success, with regard to recruiting and building. It is what it is, and it sucks!
Old 05-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #64
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:
OK, fair enough, you did, i'll give you that. OU has a top 20 tradition and brand in college basketball and they should be able to recruit like it. It shouldn't be as much of an "uphill battle" as you and others say.

I sure do not toe a doom and gloom line, and i'm not stomping my feet, or whatever you are trying to express. I just call it like it is. I expressed excitement and hope when OU signed Harmon, Iwoukor, and Hill. I was hoping OU could follow it up with another layer of even better players. And so far this class is a huge disappointment.

I'm wondering who the next class of good/great players are going to be for OU. OU signed a good transfer and another one i'm not sure about. This was the year OU was supposed to get their next group of bellcows. Sure is hard to get excited when OU is getting out recruited by inferior programs. I have the same frustration right now that I had after Kruger failed to capitalize on the Final Four success, with regard to recruiting and building. It is what it is, and it sucks!
Thank God we're arguing about basketball again!
Old 05-25-2020, 05:53 AM   #65
Stikboy
All-Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaustin View Post
Thank God we're arguing about basketball again!
Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #66
skyvue
Final Four

The story says OU is in on this guy...

Major offers continue for Louis Lesmond
A premium is always placed on shot making on the wing, and one of the players in the class of 2021 who can really do that is Louis Lesmond. The 6-foot-5 wing has international and domestic experience and has shown a track record for being able to not only knockdown shots, but to make plays with his basketball IQ and feel for the game.

https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...100-147515864/
Old 05-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #67
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
It's almost like OU should shift recruiting strategy to higher probability targets... Guys that can you help you win, but maybe don't get the recruiting attention as some of these guys OU puts a lot of time and resources into pursuing.

Maybe a strategy of the best local players OU can land, and under-recruited guys that are also in the area that don't get as much attention until later in the recruiting process... If only there was a way to do that, though?

You know?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #68
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
It's almost like OU should shift recruiting strategy to higher probability targets... Guys that can you help you win, but maybe don't get the recruiting attention as some of these guys OU puts a lot of time and resources into pursuing.
And yet, if Lon and Co. did that, they'd catch grief here and elsewhere for not pursuing the four- and five-star guys. Look at the ho-hum (at best) reaction to Cortes' commitment.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #69
Seymore Cox
National Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsooner View Post
Good old Lon. Moving those goalposts because he is struggling. Let's have a smaller 2020 class and focus on a loaded 2021 class. Nah, nevermind, let's focus on 2022, since I can't get any top 2021 targets to come here, especially in-state ones. He is following his trajectory of leaving programs works off than when he got them.
Who were the instate targets he missed on?
Old 05-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #70
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
And yet, if Lon and Co. did that, they'd catch grief here and elsewhere for not pursuing the four- and five-star guys. Look at the ho-hum (at best) reaction to Cortes' commitment.
Would people REALLY be upset about a class like this?

Josh Baker (6'4'' 175) - Hutchinson CC
Baker led the Jayhawk Conference this season in 3-point efficiency at 49.4 percent (76 of 154). That mark is fourth-best in Jayhawk Conference history...Tying a Blue Dragon freshman record for 3-pointers and being the top 3-point shooter in the Jayhawk Conference this season, Hutchinson Community College guard Josh Baker was named the 2020 Jayhawk West Freshman of the Year... Baker tied a Blue Dragon freshman record with 76 3-pointers this season this season, matching Derrick Drummond in 1996. Baker also tied Drummond for the third-most 3-pointers in Blue Dragon single-season history.

Dalen Ridgnal (6'6'' 195) - Cowley CC
Third Team NJCAA Division I All-American.. Ridgnal recorded 20 double-doubles and averaged 16.4 points and 10.6 rebounds per game. Prior to being named an All-American, Ridgnal was named a First Team All-Region VI and All-Conference selection, the Jayhawk East Freshman of the Year, and was named to the Region VI All-Tournament Team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoeSZPBksBA

Bijan Cortez (6'2'' 175 - Kingfisher OK)
Bijan is a 6-foot-2, 175-pound guard. He can throw down flashy dunks, dish out crafty assists and can shoot from nearly anywhere on the court. He's a key cog in the Yellowjackets’ run as they pursue a spot among the state’s best teams of all time. This season, he's averaging 21.5 points on a 54% shooting clip from 3-point range, 6 assists, 5.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game.

Souleymane Doumbia (7'0'' 215 - Navarro JC)
Averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds per game as a freshman at Navarro. Has range on his jumper, moves really well, great athlete, powerful dunker... 4 star prospect with offers from TCU and Houston early.

https://youtu.be/vXC6jYZ1qNQ?t=18
Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #71
skyvue
Final Four

Quote:
I don't know if you've noticed but not everyone is as enamored with jucos as you are, so to answer your question: Yes, they would.

Last edited by skyvue; 05-26-2020 at 09:28 AM.
skyvue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #72
thebigabd
National Champion

Quote:
I don't know if you've noticed but not everyone is as enamored with jucos as you are, so to answer your question: Yes, they would.
Yea, I kind of noticed. I still think people would be happy with that class though.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #73
hoopsaustin
Final Four

Quote:

Josh Baker (6'4'' 175) - Hutchinson CC
Baker led the Jayhawk Conference this season in 3-point efficiency at 49.4 percent (76 of 154). That mark is fourth-best in Jayhawk Conference history...Tying a Blue Dragon freshman record for 3-pointers and being the top 3-point shooter in the Jayhawk Conference this season, Hutchinson Community College guard Josh Baker was named the 2020 Jayhawk West Freshman of the Year... Baker tied a Blue Dragon freshman record with 76 3-pointers this season this season, matching Derrick Drummond in 1996. Baker also tied Drummond for the third-most 3-pointers in Blue Dragon single-season history.

Dalen Ridgnal (6'6'' 195) - Cowley CC
Third Team NJCAA Division I All-American.. Ridgnal recorded 20 double-doubles and averaged 16.4 points and 10.6 rebounds per game. Prior to being named an All-American, Ridgnal was named a First Team All-Region VI and All-Conference selection, the Jayhawk East Freshman of the Year, and was named to the Region VI All-Tournament Team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoeSZPBksBA

Bijan Cortez (6'2'' 175 - Kingfisher OK)
Bijan is a 6-foot-2, 175-pound guard. He can throw down flashy dunks, dish out crafty assists and can shoot from nearly anywhere on the court. He's a key cog in the Yellowjackets’ run as they pursue a spot among the state’s best teams of all time. This season, he's averaging 21.5 points on a 54% shooting clip from 3-point range, 6 assists, 5.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game.

Souleymane Doumbia (7'0'' 215 - Navarro JC)
Averaged 10 points and 7 rebounds per game as a freshman at Navarro. Has range on his jumper, moves really well, great athlete, powerful dunker... 4 star prospect with offers from TCU and Houston early.

https://youtu.be/vXC6jYZ1qNQ?t=18
Wasnt omar leary from there? He was just okay.. depth. Marginal role player. He was 1st or 2nd team all american in juco......

Abd, jucos generally SUCK. you know about prep schools, right? They destroyed jucos almost completely. And if you get a stud juco, like juan patillo, theyll fail out or be dismissed on average more than any random high school recruit and/or transfers
Old 05-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #74
NYC-Fool
Walk-on

Recruiting JUCO players means you miss out on top HS talent or transfers and you are scrambling to plug holes. The reason this is the case is because JUCO players just aren’t very good. Honest question - how many JUCO players end up playing in the NBA. Aside from 1-2 unicorns, I doubt that number is very high.
NYC-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:07 PM   #75
mict085
Starter

Quote:
Recruiting JUCO players means you miss out on top HS talent or transfers and you are scrambling to plug holes. The reason this is the case is because JUCO players just aren’t very good. Honest question - how many JUCO players end up playing in the NBA. Aside from 1-2 unicorns, I doubt that number is very high.
Since prep schools became the trend, jucos have been gutted of their best talent. The days of finding Guys like mookie Blaylock or taj gray consistently are over. You can occasionally find some productive college players but the bust rate is much higher than it once was. Anymore, It’s usually a roll of the dice.
mict085 is online now   Reply With Quote